Page 18 of 19 « First<1516171819>
Topic Options
#53228 - 11/30/05 12:36 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
BlinkingMouse
Ching Shih

Loc: The biggest student room in th...

Found this article about good sex in writing interesting: The Times Good Sex Awards
#53229 - 01/09/06 10:23 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

The Language Log has an an article discussing the use of "they" with singular antecedents (something that has been drummed into my head as wrong, wrong, wrong). The author identifies several usages of it in Shakespeare, as well as the use of "they" when the gender of the antecedent is known. I'm partly persuaded.

Quote:
This use of they isn't ungrammatical, it isn't a mistake, it's a feature of ordinary English syntax that for some reason attracts the ire of particularly puristic pusillanimous pontificators, and we don't buy what they're selling.

#53230 - 08/02/06 12:08 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

The Globe and Mail discusses a study about grammar in IMs & text messages , and how it isn't as detrimental to formal English as one might think.
#53231 - 08/05/06 03:19 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
screamin
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I just wanted to recommend an article in September's Fantasy and Science Fiction; Dear Starbear: The Tiptree-LeGuin Letters. It's a printing of letters exchanged between Ursula K. LeGuin and James Tiptree, Jr, over a span of several years, covering the time before and until Tiptree revealed herself as Alice Sheldon. Since I admire both authors so, I was fascinated by the way they talked about writing, other writers, feminism, their own personal quirks, and their relationship.
#53232 - 08/05/06 05:41 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Ah...thanks for that recommendation, screamin. Julie Phillips, who wrote the article, is the author of James Tiptree, Jr: The Double Life Of Alice B. Sheldon --a book I am quite looking forward to reading! If you like that one, I recently read another related essay by Phillips in The James Tiptree Award Anthology 2, called Talking Too Much: About James Tiptree, Jr.
#53233 - 08/29/06 10:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

I just read this article on the NYTimes site about a new Hyperion imprint targeted to women. I was wondering what you all thought about the general idea, and about the execution as described in the article.

On the one hand, it seems like a good idea (in the same way that Persephone is a good idea). On the other hand, the list of books they are publishing and the "steering committee" they've chosen do not inspire me with the greatest confidence...

#53234 - 11/08/06 06:15 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

I read another cool NYTimes article today, about the OED, the Internet, and the accelerated development of neologisms.

I like the meta-discussion of language change, as well as the explanation of how the OED's procedures have changed as they create the online 3rd edition. I'm also fascinated by their view of the Internet as a collection of varied "backwaters" (in the sense of fairly insular communities isolated, in this case, by user interest) that are connected enough to the mainstream that a single click (say, linking a popular blog to a previously obscure blog) can bring a new word into widespread use.

#53235 - 11/09/06 10:05 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Thanks LaSalleUGirl! Great article. I'm a little taken aback that "Bada-bing" made the cut, but then I guess its usage of late warrants it.
#82496 - 04/09/07 01:10 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: ruad]
Betula
Ching Shih

Loc: Arlington, VA

Gene Weingarten at the Washington Post wrote a thought-provoking piece for the weekend magazine that's receiving a lot of (divided) attention. He set an incognito violinist Joshua Bell up in a corner of a busy D.C. Metro exit (and shopping/business concourse) to see if anyone would stop and listen.

Pearls Before Breakfast

Whether or not the experiment had a flawed premise or set-up, the article did make me stop and think for a good long while about my priorities, the kinds of things I take the time to stop and watch or listen to, and whether I too would have ignored a world-famous violinist playing out of context. Plus, Weingarten's a fantastic writer, especially when he puts on his serious hat.

Edited by Betula (04/09/07 01:12 PM)

#82497 - 04/09/07 04:09 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: Betula]
katydid
Ching Shih

Loc: DC USA

Betula, I read that this morning as well, and it really made me think. I used to take the Metro to work every day, and while I remember there being musicians outside the station, I never paid much attention to them. Even in cases when I thought the music was particularly beautiful, I always had somewhere to go, somewhere I was rushing to. It is sad, but I probably would have been one of the people who rushed right by Joshua Bell.

On the other hand, I think part of it is a defense mechanism. If you tune out what's going on around you, it's much easier to ignore the guy who stood on that same corner screaming hellfire and damnation-style sermons, and the dude who jogged backwards down I Street every morning, yelling to himself, rain or shine. Unfortunately, that means tuning out the beautiful, too.

What I found most interesting about the article was Bell's nervousness going in to the situation. He said something along the lines of that when he's playing in a concert hall, he knows that the people there will like him, because they've paid for the privelege. On the street, he had no such assurances.

Page 18 of 19 « First<1516171819>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: