Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53078 - 05/09/02 11:42 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
SevenDeadly
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US...

Congratulations, deborah and Sars! No one deserves shout-outs more than you.

The best article I read in the last year was Samantha Power's "Bystanders to Genocide", in the September 2001 Atlantic Monthly. It's still available on their website. Power interviews most of the American diplomats, civil servants, and higher-ups involved in the decision not to intervene in the Rwanda genocide. She talks about all of the assumptions, ignorance, and misguided logic behind a tragedy that could have been easily prevented. It's an absolutely riveting article and the best piece of political journalism I've read in years.

I heard she's turned her work into a book on the US and genocides. Even more exciting, she's speaking at my college baccalaureate!

[This message has been edited by SevenDeadly (edited May 09, 2002).]

#53079 - 05/21/02 04:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'm getting a (very) little caught up on some of my regular reading and caught this editorial over at the NY Times . One of the smarter commentaries on the crisis in the Catholic Church that's just boiling over right now.

Keller's conclusions on the relationship most American Catholics have with their church is increasingly accurrate, IMHO.

#53080 - 05/27/02 02:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

This is just... scary.
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020603fa_FACT

#53081 - 05/28/02 10:25 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

I was reading an offline copy of The Nation yesterday, and was pleased to come across this lucid and complex history of 'patriotism', and how many of the things we may associate with the most knee jerk styles actually originated with the left and concrns for diversity and social justice. Learned a lot from a short article. http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020603&s=dreier
#53082 - 05/30/02 03:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ei
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Manchester, England

Read this if you want a really good excuse to forget dieting and be satisfied with your body: http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,722381,00.html
#53083 - 05/30/02 04:29 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066314
#53084 - 06/10/02 12:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I just read a (short) article in Slate, Xbox and the Meaning of Life about a very disturbing little commercial, which they link to in the article, but I'll also link to here: Xbox commercial . It's a UK ad, so maybe some of y'all have seen it on TV already. Watch the commercial before you read the article.

[This message has been edited by voiceofreason (edited June 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited June 10, 2002).]

#53085 - 08/01/02 10:28 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I've been meaning to get around to mentioning this while it's still on the stands: I thought William Langewiesche's piece on the World Trade Center attacks in the current issue of The Atlantic Monthly (called "American Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center"), was a very well-written and engrossing piece of journalism. He's deftly managed quite a lot of material. Langewiesche has worked as a commercial pilot, so has some insight into various technical aspects of the attacks; he was also given complete and unfettered access to people and sites, so he's able to report on things quite thoroughly. This article is actually the first of three that will be published in the magazine, and which will be published as a book later this year. This first part focuses on the recovery and cleanup effort.

You can read excerpts here . It's well worth buying the magazine for. I'm really looking forward to the next two parts.

Also, I wonder if I'm alone in loving lots of Malcolm Gladwell's articles in The New Yorker. That magazine always has some great writing, but I find myself really looking forward to his work. Two of the most recent, the one on the corporate culture at Enron and the dangers of smart, narcissistic employees, and the current one, on learning to read facial expressions, both fascinated me. I haven't read his book yet (The Tipping Point) but it's definitely on my list to read.

Also in a recent issue of The New Yorker, Katha Pollitt's article on learning to drive and the breakup of her relationship was a good read.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited August 01, 2002).]

#53086 - 08/02/02 12:52 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Deborah , this is so odd, but I noticed this thread again, and wondered, what good articles have I read lately that I could recommend? I thought, well, I could always mention that Malcolm Gladwell article I read in The New Yorker on my way home from work today. And then I scrolled down to your post. The one I just read is called 'The Naked Face' and is about learning to read facial expression. Very interesting. It's apparently not one of the articles they are making available on line yet, but it's in the issue dated August 5th.

The odd thing is that my attention to the New Yorker is very sporadic, and though I subscribe, I had to promise myself I wouldn't torment myself with unread issues if I did so. I haven't picked up on Malcolm Gladwell as a name of particular significance to me yet, but after this day's double whammy, I'll certainly be looking for him.

#53087 - 08/05/02 12:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Sars
Ching Shih

Last month's piece on the WTC clean-up in the Atlantic was outstanding also.
Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: