Page 4 of 19 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#53088 - 08/05/02 09:01 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Reni
Ching Shih

Oooh, I have to mention my Malcolm Gladwell disillusionment. For a long time I really enjoyed him - he's written some really fascinating New Yorker articles. (He has them archived online at www.gladwell.com.) But at some point I realized that all of his pieces follow the same basic pattern: A)It's natural to think X, and that's what everyone does think. B) But in fact X's opposite, while seemingly counterintuitive, is, surprisingly, actually true, for the following extremely compelling reasons. C)Extremely compelling reasons.

It's all very seductive, and makes for fun reading - you come out at the end thinking you're very smart for understanding the real story instead of the conventional wisdom. But I can't help thinking he simplifies things in order to fit them into this narrative.

I still read all his stuff, but I do it with much less pleasure and much more frustration than I used to. The sad thing is, I think he's a good and intelligent writer, but he's kind of gotten trapped in his crowd-pleasing formula.

Clearly, I've thought about this way too much.

[This message has been edited by Reni (edited August 05, 2002).]

#53089 - 08/06/02 12:24 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Although not having read enough of Gladwell's articles to have any position on whether he is too formulaic, I don't think the 'Naked Face' article I just read really fits the mold, unless it's some kind of variant of Reni's model--for example,'most people don't pay a lot of attention to facial expressions, but there are a few people who do and they learn things the rest of us don't.'In this case, it's not that we think wrongly so much as that we don't think at all. Thanks for the archive post by the way--it might be fun to read some back articles this way.
#53090 - 08/06/02 08:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Reni
Ching Shih

Actually, I saw that one as, "You might think that intuitions about other people's facial expressions are just instinctive and can't be learned, but actually, science can allow any thick-headed clod to categorize and interpret microexpressions.

But I'm probably stretching. The previous one, about the 'talent myth' at McKinsey, fits the mold better. Yeah, read the archives - there are a few oldish articles about women's health issues that folks around here might find particularly interesting.

#53091 - 10/03/02 09:53 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OK, if you're a Harry Potter fan like I am, this article will probably interest you. If you're not, but are interested in language and words, this article might still interest you.

Wizard Words: The Literary, Latin, and Lexical Origins of Harry Potter’s Vocabulary
You can read it online at www.verbatimmag.com. Go to 'back issues online' - it's in the Spring 2001 issue.

#53092 - 02/03/03 11:23 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

Michael Wolff wondering why people even work in the publishing industry.

I think he sounds a tad bitter.

#53093 - 02/03/03 03:28 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here\'s an article from SheThinks.org called A Reading List For Every Young Woman. Thought it might interest some of you. (I don't believe I have read a single book on this list.)
#53094 - 02/17/03 11:35 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Sorry for the back-to-back posts. Just wanted to let people know that there is an interview with Wing Chun in the current (Winter 2002) issue of Bitch magazine.
#53095 - 02/18/03 06:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Anonymous Unregistered

There's an article on perceptions of the war on terror outside Washington and New York by Joan Didion in the Jan 16 issue of the New York Review of Books, called "Fixed Opinions or the Hinge of History." I can't seem to get the link to work - maybe you have to subscribe to read it. But it's really good.

New York Review of Books

#53096 - 02/28/03 07:53 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
TarynW
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh

I just read this article about Anti-American sentiments in Canada in Maclean's Magazine, and I thought it was...edifying. If that's the right word.

Our Only Best Friends

#53097 - 02/28/03 12:40 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
studio1
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

I enjoyed this article/column about introverts, being an introvert myself, I thought it was bang-on.

Caring for your Introvert

Page 4 of 19 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: