Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53277 - 10/05/01 08:03 PM Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

New Chicklit contributor Louise Pohle-Bjolin offers us an interview with Ayun Halliday , the creator of The East Village Inky, a zine for "groovy moms and dads, punk kids, and fellow zine publishers."

An excerpt from the interview: "I do think about the delicate balance of turning your family life into an ongoing comic saga. People seem to enjoy reading about our petty trials, hauling strollers around on the subway, hauling laundry, my rage at the success of a crappy book like Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood..."

I know a couple of people around here have mentioned that they enjoy the Inky. I'd love to hear from people who have read the zine. Maybe we can talk a bit about the process of putting a zine together regularly, and the challenges of doing so with a family. I'm sure a lot of people must be in a situation similar to Ayun's.

#53278 - 10/06/01 04:52 PM Re: Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
della femina
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, England

I've never read the zine, but reading the interview made me want to -- well done! Ayun seems very cool, and how she has the energy to produce an acclaimed zine and raise those kids is incredible.

I'm thinking of heading to HipMama for a subscription, now.

#53279 - 10/06/01 04:52 PM Re: Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
della femina
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, England

Soz, double post.

[This message has been edited by della femina (edited October 06, 2001).]

#53280 - 10/06/01 05:00 PM Re: Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I've been meaning to subscribe to the zine since I read about it in Bust a few years ago. The strips I've seen are incredibly cute without being sickly. I could never find any details on international subs, though. This interview, however, has made me want to look a bit harder...
#53281 - 10/06/01 06:59 PM Re: Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Oh, I adore the Inky! My neighborhood bookstore--in San Francisco--carries it; I have no idea why, but I'm so glad they do, and I've been reading all the copies I can get my hands on for a year or so. A tale from reading the Inky: I thought that Ayun was kidding when she kept writing about how her husband was writing a musical called "Urinetown." Imagine my surprise when it opened on Broadway. Hee!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, I'm going to go read the interview.

#53282 - 10/11/01 12:05 PM Re: Paper Jam: Getting Inked, East Village Style
lotusbeans
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Pittsburgh

Hey..

I just noticed the link for hipmama isn't in there! Try this: http://www.hipmama.com/evinky.html

Anyway you can get it at http://panderzinedistro.com

Or you can send an email to inky@erols.com

or just send some cash to
122 Dean St
Brooklyn NY 11201

$2 for one, $8 for a subscription

Louise, seriously addicted. \:\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: