Page all of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53457 - 02/13/02 01:02 AM Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I don't know, maybe I just can't see it in the list, but it seems to me there should already be a topic like this. Anyway, if there is, someone with less brain fog than me can bump it and I'll repost.

In the meantime, I received an announcement about this site, and wanted to share it with you:

Quote:
Hyde Park Review of Books' Antidote to the Incredibly Shrinking Book Review Section

Chicago, IL – February 10, 2002 – As Newspapers and Magazines continue to slash the size of their book review sections, and diminish the importance of a serious book culture in the US, the Hyde Park Review of Books is proud to announce the launch of an exclusively online antidote to the incredibly shrinking book review section.

Quarterly and exclusively online, Hyde Park Review of Books features literary critiques of the most promising fiction and serious nonfiction from small, medium, independent, and University presses as well as a few larger publishers.

Our goal is to provide the largest review forum for the most promising fiction and serious nonfiction books from authors and publishers often overlooked or under reported on by other review publications.

If you know of other sites devoted to books and literature and you want to share, please do.

#53458 - 02/13/02 12:40 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Willow431
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

I like MobyLives for news coverage of the book world. And the 2000 and 2001 Moby Awards are really funny.

Quote:
The THIS COULD EXPLAIN THE ELECTION, Part One Award ... goes to Al Gore. According to trade reports, in the week after Gore said his favorite book was Stendahl's ''The Red and the Black,'' it sold a grand total of 51 copies nationwide.
The THIS COULD EXPLAIN THE ELECTION, Part Two Award ... goes to George W. Bush. In the week after Bush said his favorite book from childhood was ''The Very Hungry Caterpillar,'' it sold 272 copies nationwide.
The AND THE WINNER IS Award ... goes to George W. Bush, for picking as his favorite childhood book ''The Very Hungry Caterpillar,'' which was first published the year after he graduated from Yale.

I know, he probably read it to his daughters, but it's still funny.

Edited to add that Central Booking also has a great news page.

[This message has been edited by Willow431 (edited February 13, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Willow431 (edited March 02, 2002).]

#53459 - 02/13/02 02:14 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
WriterGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: once Atlanta, GA; now Brooklyn...

Well, Arts & Letters Daily deserves a mention.

I found a lovely booklog a couple months ago and have since lost it again. The man behind it was named Jeff, I think.

#53460 - 05/07/02 03:37 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
bookslut
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Austin, TX USA

This is slightly off the subject, but I just started a webzine for readers called 'Bookslut' and I'm looking for writers. I need reviewers, columnists, and interviewers.

I have been a fan of chicklit and a lurker on this forum for about a year now, and I very much like the site.

Anyway, if anyone would be interested, please e-mail me at jessa @ bookslut.com and let me know what you would like to write.

#53461 - 05/07/02 04:49 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hi bookslut, you will probably get a better response to you call for submissions if you post it in the Announcements section.
#53462 - 05/07/02 05:25 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
pinkvodka
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin

I really enjoy Readerville .
#53463 - 05/07/02 06:54 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

This is me either looking for a site, or inadvertently handing off a business idea --

I'm looking for the bibiophile's equivalent to the Internet Movie Database. This came about because I noticed that I now read all the reviews of a movie, as well as CVs for everyone involved, whenever I watch anything. And I thought, Hey, wouldn't it be great if there was an Internet Book Database where people could look up book reviews and author bibiographies by title. And thanks to the miracles of ISBN number, the Library of Congress and the Dewey Decimal system, you'd be able to search for books as easily as you can currently search for movies by genre.

If anything remotely like this exists, please let me know. If not ... well, I wonder how one would go about building it. I think it'd be a fabulous resource for bibliophiles.

#53464 - 05/07/02 11:27 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
sarahzia
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Sobell, it sounds like you're describing a combination of BGMI (the biography and geneology master index), WorldCat (OCLC's online union catalog), and Book Review Index/Book Review Digest.

The bad news is, they're not free. But, depending on where you live and whether you have a University affiliation of some sort, you probably can manage access somehow. A lot of states are providing access to such things through the public libraries. And there is a (free) backdoor into WorldCat through ALibris, I think.

#53465 - 08/21/02 08:27 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkvodka:
I really enjoy Readerville .

Apologies for not knowing where this came from. Someone sent it to me and I am too busy/lazy to look it up.

Online Discussion Site to Launch Journal
Literary discussion site Readerville.com is launching a print publication, The Readerville Journal, on September 25. MJ Rose (a popular Readerville.com participant) reports in Wired, "Editorial will focus on all the ways in which books touch readers' lives, about the ideas and things and places found in books, and on the people for whom books are an important part of daily life. The four-color glossy debuts with Elizabeth McCracken interviewing Jeffrey Eugenides, a memoir of a memoir festival by Chris Offutt, a Q&A with Felix Dennis about his bibliomanic ways, and short stories by Dan Chaon and Katharine Weber." Popular with writers as well as readers, the site has what is called "an established audience of 20,000 readers who visit its online forum" monthly. Randall Stickrod, founding executive publisher of Wired magazine, is the journals ED publisher. The publication will carry both regular advertisements and an ad section offering reduced rates for authors.

#53466 - 09/12/02 09:29 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
BethG2
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

Actually, I think the closest you can get is the Novelist database. A lot of public libraries have it available to their patrons. You can do a lot of different types of searches on it.
#53467 - 01/08/03 06:48 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
ula
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Worcester, MA, USA

I have subscribed to and read the first two issues of The Readerville Journal and want to let you-all know how *meaty* it is.

There are hardly any ads., and the few that there are, are interesting and
informative.

The issues are packed w/articles and can be read from one page to another (as opposed to---"continued on page 68) which makes for a comfortable reading experience.

Go to: http://www.readerville.com
for subcription info.

(I am not affiliated w/Readerville in any way except as a lurker).

#53468 - 01/16/03 09:03 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Mirren
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver

Look! Samuel Pepys\'s diary has been set up as a weblog. How zeitgeist-y.
#53469 - 03/11/03 03:08 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

Does anyone subscribe to Book magazine ? What do you think of it?
#53470 - 03/12/03 08:59 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

I don't subscribe to Book Magazine but I do purchase the odd copy here and there. I like it. It's a bit gossipy at times (a bit like People magazine for books -- they often ask celebrities what they are reading, for example) and often covers genres that I don't personally read, but there are some fun regular features. One of them is a photo spread of an author's study or wherever they write and they draw arrows to all of the things tacked up on bulletin boards and make amusing comments about them. There are also lots of reviews of upcoming books. I really liked the January issue (with Alice Sebold on the cover) as it predicted up and coming writers and they had some very interesting choices and profiles.
It's definately worth a look.

#53471 - 03/17/03 09:43 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
lex
Ching Shih

Loc: mostly Canada

I just found this great website. It is mostly applicable to Canadians, but it's very well done and has some UK submission calls as well.

http://www.placesforwriters.com

#53472 - 03/17/03 12:51 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Whole Wheat
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta

I found January while looking for information about a book my offline bookclub was reading. It includes reviews and interviews. I'm not crazy about the long introductions to the interviews that quote from the interview below though.
#53473 - 03/17/03 09:47 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
rustee
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts

I use Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com to find the books which are going to be published. Then I go to the new Massachusetts library site to see when the book will be available. If it is "in process/due soon" I request it. If the publication is down the line, I add it to my "save" list.

#53474 - 03/18/03 03:25 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Sarahsponda
Ching Shih

Loc: Nebraska, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by StephA:
Does anyone subscribe to Book magazine ? What do you think of it?
My college subscribes to it so I usually just read theirs while I work. Sometimes it is interesting, but I read so much genre fiction and books that aren't brand new that many of the articles don't appeal to me.

And now that B&N is asserting their ownership, it is going to be changed to Barnes and Noble Presents Book Magazine and I fear the whole thing is going to become a great big advertisement. Yuk.

Here's the NYTimes article that explains it:
B&N and Book Magazine Try a New Tack

#53475 - 09/29/03 04:06 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

I love stories, that's a given. Short stories are wonderful chunks of juicy literature that I can stuff in my bags, pull out and read anywhere and feel satisfied in a short amount of time.

Free short stories are even better... While I've had some gut bombs that I've read, most of the unusual authors and writing I've come across have been the freebies. The very best being free stuff I can print out, fold up and tuck into pockets, other books, bags and purse.

Now, thanks to Bookslut's link, I've hit a motherload of international fiction.

I'm feasting to fullness.

http://www.wordswithoutborders.org

#53476 - 12/30/03 02:45 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

I adore the travel books by Traveler's Tales. The stories are written by the travelers, detailing their experiences. I really look forward to new editions each year...

Imagine my delight in finding their (newly updated) Travelers\' Tales web site -- the site is comprehensive and not just a web address to hawk those books \:\)

#53477 - 07/11/04 10:10 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Bumping for Colleen.

And while I'm here, I'm liking Bookslut quite a bit lately, especially the blog.

#53478 - 07/13/04 12:14 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Colleen
Ching Shih

Loc: Anacortes, WA

Thanks Masha and it's funny that you mentioned Bookslut because I am reviewing for them these days. I really like the blog also, it's one of my daily sites.

I wanted to point all of you in the direction of Electica.org, a quarterly lit magazine on the web. I just started reviewing for them and was thrilled when I found it early this year. It's kind of a Granta-type mag, fiction and nonfiction, columns, poetry. Really a good mixed bag of all sorts of things. They work really hard at putting together a good product every quarter and I think deserve as much attention as they can get, so take a look if you have a minute!!

Thanks.......Colleen

PS. I would have put in a link but can't figure out how to do it quickly and there is a two year old pulling my arm off the keyboard...sorry!

#53479 - 07/14/04 07:33 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Exxie
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

Colleen, what do you review on Bookslut? I do the "Feminine Fox" column as well as random book reviews. (Ashamedly, I don't often read each issue in its entirety...I skip the reviews I know I'm not interested in, and sometimes I'm just lazy!)
#53480 - 07/17/04 09:55 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Colleen
Ching Shih

Loc: Anacortes, WA

Exxie:

I just started doing reviews about 3-4 months ago and have focussed on books with a historical bent. I started with a feature about Antoine de Saint-Exupery to coincide with the discovery of his aircraft and have reviewed new books by Paul Collins and Barbara Hodgson since then. Next month is a collection of essays on America by Russian authors.

I'm in the middle of moving cross county right now (FL to OR) and I'm up in Alaska for a month in between the move to help out the inlaws (this is a crazy way to move!) so reviewing for Bookslut and Eclectica has been a little on the tough side. My plan for next month is to turn in an article/interview on Persephone Books. They've been great to exchange emails with and I adore them so much. I was really glad that Jessa agreed to have an article on them at Bookslut.

And at Eclectica I'm writing about comic books for the next issue.

This would all be great fun if I wasn't doing it out of a box of stuff jammed into a guest room! I did just get the new Jenny McPhee book to review for Bookslut and I'm loving it, so that should show up next month also even though it isn't really a history type book.

I'll have to back and reread your columns now. There's so much to read in every issue that I often just jump around also.

Colleen

#53481 - 08/12/04 07:33 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I've really been enjoying Kitabkhana (which I believe is Urdu for library, or more literally perhaps, book room).
#53482 - 08/12/04 08:56 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

What a great blog, deborah - thanks for mentioning it.

Kitabkhana must be (at least partly) an Arabic loan word - k-t-b is the only root I remember from two weeks of Arabic linguistics about nine years ago, and it relates to books and reading. And I'm so pleased with myself for remembering anything at all, I felt I must mention it.

#53483 - 08/12/04 12:30 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

dazey: Yes, the root k-t-b connotes the idea of writing. Kitaab is the Arabic word for book. Urdu would certainly have taken it from Arabic.

I believe the Arabic word for library is maktaba. (And it also means bookstore.)

#53484 - 09/10/04 06:52 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
decafcoffeecup
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: North Norfolk coast, UK.

I've found a wonderful site about Gallery Books - an independent book retailer based in Mendocino, CA. In particular, the owner of the shop (Tony Miksak) has a radio broadcast "Words on Books" which is then available in a (text) column on the company website.
It covers many subjects: Book reviews, the prospect of B&N looming large over smaller book-sellers, day-to-day experiences of working in the shop, life in general etc. It's a really good read.

Gallery Books

#53485 - 09/19/04 08:48 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I've just learned about a site that is the literary equivalent of Netflix. Unfortunately it only seems to cater to the United States, but perhaps they'll expand in the future: Booksfree .

Brought to you by the Department of Enabling.

#53486 - 10/14/04 12:05 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

RedLightGreen searches a database of 120 million books and can be refined by author, subject, language etc. Then you can find out if the books you're interested in are available at nearby libraries. (If your library isn't there, there is a tool where you can let them know so they can try to add it.)

Pretty cool!!

#53487 - 01/05/05 02:24 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Bump.
#53488 - 01/05/05 04:04 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
SweetTart
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Hello all,

I was browsing through my favorite reading, literary critism, and book review blogs, and wondered if anyone out there has particular favorites? Incisive? Snarky? Luck finding bloggers with similar reading tastes?

Some of my once-a-week reads:
  • http://avidreaderket.blogspot.com
  • http://crankyreader.blogspot.com
  • http://faculty.etsu.edu/tolleyst/weblog
  • http://jenniferweiner.blogspot.com
  • http://rosario.blogspot.com
  • http://super_librarian.blogspot.com
  • http://www.beatrice.com
  • http://www.bookslut.com/blog.html
  • http://www.maudnewton.com/blog
  • http://www.mobylives.com/
  • http://www.realisticrecords.net/themillions

I have to limit myself to reading the blogs once a week, or the TBR pile would threaten collapse.

#53489 - 01/05/05 04:10 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
LibraryGoddess
Ching Shih

My site is really a very informal blog of books I have read. It is all reviews of books in my library collection, which is primarily YA fiction, but does contain adult literature appropriate for teens. It isn't anything spectacular. If nothing else, it serves as a great way for me to remember what I read!

My Blog

#53490 - 01/30/05 08:22 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Grass
Ching Shih

Loc: North America

Can anyone help me re/locate this website? A month or so ago, I stumbled on a site that collects up published reviews of books, and presents them all in one place. (eg. I think I looked up "Middlesex," and got a page with links to the reviews that were published in the NYT, the Washington Post, the London Review of Books, the New Yorker, etc.)

Why I didn't bookmark it then, I don't know.

#53491 - 01/31/05 12:54 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Pages Turned
Ching Shih

Loc: North Carolina

The Complete Review?

http://www.complete-review.com/main/main.html

#53492 - 01/31/05 04:30 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Grass
Ching Shih

Loc: North America

You know, that's not it but it's a great site anyway. Thanks a million!

Complete Review looks to be interested in any good literature, not just recently published stuff. (eg. they have reviews of Gertrude Stein). The site that I found-then-lost was more devoted to recently published stuff. I distinctly remember reading a whole bunch of reviews of an Anne Tyler book and another book by Anita Shreve. But neither of those authors is listed in Complete Review (maybe not "literary" enough for them?)

Anyway, thanks. I'm going to explore CR some more.

#53493 - 04/18/05 06:15 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Orlando
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

bumping for Anne Wentworth
#53494 - 04/19/05 08:08 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
blessures
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I've been reading Bookish in the last few months. One of the things I enjoy is that the blog's based in Denmark, so although the blog, and most of the books discussed, is in English, there's a slightly different take, outside my normal UK/US sphere. And while the writing's certainly intelligent and provoking, it doesn't make me feel half as illiterate as many of the other sites I've read.
#53495 - 04/19/05 08:13 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I've been going to BookBrowse for a while now. They have a lot of information on new releases, plus author interviews and reading group guides. Also, if you sign up for their e-mail newsletter, you can be eligible to win free books. I won the new Terry Pratchett hardcover last year.

If you're looking for in-depth book discussion of the kind we have here, you won't find it at BookBrowse, but it's still a good basic resource.

#53496 - 04/19/05 10:02 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Anne Wentworth
Ching Shih

Loc: NY, NY

Are there any sites you chicklitters like to frequent for--not quite reviews, but for reader opinions? Particular blogs that have a great take on a certain genre or compendiums of reviews you find helpful?

I'm putting together a piece for my magazine on sites that are great for avid readers and would love input. (And thanks GingerCat and blessures for your suggestions).

#53497 - 04/19/05 12:15 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

Well...there's my book journal. Erm, not that I know if it's a great site for avid readers, but I read a lot of good books (lots of nonfiction lately about racism and oppressions of different sorts), so you might want to have a quick look. It's a good site for someone who has the same reading tastes as me or who is in fact me.
TheBostonReader

#53498 - 04/19/05 05:45 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've been reading Emerald City for science-fiction and fantasy reviews. I like Old Hag a lot too.
#53499 - 04/20/05 05:33 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
JoanneMerriam
Ching Shih

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Wentworth:
Are there any sites you chicklitters like to frequent for--not quite reviews, but for reader opinions?
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but Jessamyn West\'s book reviews are great.

#53500 - 04/21/05 11:13 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Just saw a blurb about this in the LA Times. What do you think about the vidlit site for promoting and marketing books?

VidLit

The Hamilton Spectator, April 20, 2005 edition writes:

Quote:

Forget scanning back covers or consulting book reviews to find that next great read. In fact, forget reading altogether. The latest way to choose books is by watching animated excerpts narrated by the authors and now available anywhere you -- and your PC -- are.

Authors and publishers have found a new way to promote literature. A service like VidLit (vidlit.com) turns pithy selections from books into short, funny Flash films to attract online readers.

Native New Yorker Liz Dubelman, VidLit's creator, says she thought the web would be a perfect vehicle for promotion, and she came up with the idea of "high-tech slide-shows" that would entice readers, then direct them to sites where they could buy featured books.

Each film takes about 200 hours to produce. They're getting serious play.

#53501 - 09/29/05 08:39 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I think this blog is really interesting: www.girlondemand.blogspot.com . There are a number of print-on-demand companies out there that will publish anyone's book for a fee, and as this blogger rightly points out, most such books are complete crap--but a few are actual good books that just never found a home anywhere else. She's made it her mission to read as many self-published books as possible and let us know what the rare good ones are.

I like the fact that she's separating the wheat from the copious chaff and letting us know about good books we otherwise would never have learned about. Plus, the site is entertaining and funny.

#53502 - 12/26/05 07:06 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

I need a website or other resource that has reviews of audio books. I want to buy an audio copy of Pride and Prejudice, but I don't want to buy it and then end up hating the reader's voice/style/what have you. The Barnes and Noble website only has reviews of the novel itself, not of the reader. Does anyone know where I might find reviews of the reading itself? Or have a personal recommendation to share?
#53503 - 12/26/05 02:51 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
meesh
Ching Shih

Loc: US

I just looked, and there are three verisions of Pride and Prejudice audiobooks on iTunes. If you have iTunes, you could just listen to the sample there and then buy another format. Otherwise, I have no ideas.
#53504 - 12/26/05 03:56 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

Oh, that is *brilliant*, especially because I'm actually planning to listen to it on an iPod. Thank you!
#53505 - 08/10/06 12:17 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

This is too much fun:

The International Edible Book Gallery: Tasty Samples

#83569 - 06/29/07 07:45 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: BethG2]
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I don't think the following is one anyone's posted here yet:

The Sorted Books Project

Quote:
The Sorted Books project began in 1993 years ago and is ongoing. The project has taken place in many different places over the years, ranging form private homes to specialized public book collections. The process is the same in every case: culling through a collection of books, pulling particular titles, and eventually grouping the books into clusters so that the titles can be read in sequence, from top to bottom. The final results are shown either as photographs of the book clusters or as the actual stacks themselves, shown on the shelves of the library they were drawn from. Taken as a whole, the clusters from each sorting aim to examine that particular library's focus, idiosyncrasies, and inconsistencies — a cross-section of that library's holdings. At present, the Sorted Books project comprises more than 130 book clusters.

There are some really good ones here. Now I want to play this game with my books instead of studying for my Psych exam, like I'm supposed to be...I actually think I could do some really good ones with my books on Islam and religion.

If people are interested, we could have a thread featuring photos of our own sorted book clusters.

Edited by deborah (06/29/07 07:49 AM)

#83692 - 07/13/07 05:44 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: deborah]
gameforalaugh
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I posted this in the wrong place, so here goes again...

I'm going to recommend two sites that seem targetted at Chicklit readers and give us as good a reason as any to avoid doing any work whatsoever.

Both have stories built up through email inboxes and other stuff.

One is Place Their Face - it seems to be a Facebook style site and not in real time. I've signed up to their weekly newsletter - it is funny - there are 5-10 new messages added each time I go back (every few days).

The other is a little more established - Holly's Inbox . Also well worth a look for an entertaining read - although this is now finished as I think it is up for publication.

Anyone got anything similar to recommend?

#83714 - 07/14/07 09:52 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: deborah]
essay
Ching Shih

This looks great. I'd love to see Chicklit clusters, although since I don't have a digital camera, I probably wouldn't be contributing my own.
#84274 - 08/26/07 03:40 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I have a request for scholarly literary databases on the web--the free kind. I'm writing a syllabus for my first freshman writing seminar (to commence in two weeks) and I want to differentiate between "OK internet research" and "don't trust that stupid blogger's opinion on Walt Whitman".

(Even though, of course, I prefer that they would research by going to the library and pulling a book off a shelf like I did. But I digress.)

I've been surfing all afternoon and I like the looks of Bartleby, LiteraryHistory.com, and the Literary Encyclopedia. Can anyone recommend any other useful sites (or debunk these)?

#84277 - 08/27/07 07:57 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I've always had good luck with Bartleby. Are you working with a particular historical period or literary genre? I ask because Luminarium is a fantastic site, but not very many people have a need for obscure Early Modern texts...

Is your course being offered through a university? Will your students have access to subscription databases like JSTOR?

#84281 - 08/27/07 05:57 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Erin W
Ching Shih

They will definitely have access to JSTOR and all the wonderful archived journals on the shelves in the library as well, but I'm fearing some of them won't go that far. I want to be able to make it clear to them that some Internet research is OK and some is not OK, and here is where I draw the line. The more acceptable online places I can give them, the easier for everybody.

This is my first time teaching. Can you tell?

#84296 - 08/29/07 07:10 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Erin W, you might want to let them know about Google Scholar -- if you're not familiar, it's a version of Google that mostly just searches scholarly literature -- papers, books, theses and dissertations, etc. It's actually not always useful for all searches (I work in an undergraduate health sciences library, so I don't really know how it does for literature) but I personally think it can help newcomers to academia understand the meaning of "scholarly", plus it looks comforting and familiar to Google users. It's at scholar.google.com

Also, depending on how pressed you are for time, you might want to talk to the librarian(s) at your institution. Most librarians are happy to come in and talk to your class about research methods (although, if I'm going to be honest, the quality and content of these kinds of presentations can vary wildly, so make sure you know what you're getting).

#84328 - 09/02/07 06:27 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: voiceofreason]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Thanks for the advice. Google Scholar is already on my OK list. Also, I've hit upon a 1-2 ratio (1 book/journal resource for every 2 Internet resources) which I think we can all be comfortable with.

A library visit to get a guided tour through the university database is a requirement for first-timers. I've already scheduled the day!

#84792 - 11/05/07 05:02 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

*bumping for ClairyH*
#84799 - 11/06/07 05:31 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Kivrin]
ClairyH

Loc: United Kingdom

(Am still getting to know this forum!!)

I came across this really fantastic online Blog recently - I was wondering if any of you have ever seen it?

The reason is, I am dying to know more about this woman - she calls herself Elisabeth and her blog is written so delightfully! I am addicted!

Check it out and see what you think...

http://wineglasslogistics.blogspot.com/

#84810 - 11/07/07 01:01 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: ClairyH]
essay
Ching Shih

I actually found a great site through the advertising at the top of this website. It's called Very Short List, and I would post the link, but if you could click on the advertising link to get there I imagine that would help this site and Deborah a bit. I've already found a couple of things I'm interested in through it, and it's only been a couple of days since I subscribed to their email list.
#84830 - 11/09/07 07:33 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
ClairyH

A blog I love is In The New, you may have heard of it? This lady does one new thing a day - some are great and some are wacky:-

http://jen365.blogspot.com/

#84833 - 11/09/07 09:33 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: ClairyH]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

ClairyH, that site is totally awesome! I think I'll have to add it to my "check-every-day" list. (Chicklit is, of course, the #1 site on that list!)
#84923 - 11/20/07 11:09 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
ClairyH

It does make for an interesting daily read - I am hooked!!
#84935 - 11/22/07 11:59 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: ClairyH]
ken_m
Ching Shih

I don't know if this is the right thread for it (it depends on your opinion of the literary value of comic books, I suppose), but I have recently come across:

http://girl-wonder.org/girlsreadcomics/

It is written by a woman who is a serious comic book fan, and who is heartily sick of the portrayal of women in comic books. Her primary weapon is sarcasm, and she is really good at it. On the outside chance that some of you who are comic book fans have not already seen it, I thought I would recommend it to you. It does not seem to have come up in this thread yet.

#87619 - 03/18/09 09:36 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: ken_m]
Erin W
Ching Shih

I just discovered that The New Yorker online has a book club now (or, as they call it, a reader’s cooperative). March’s book was Revolutionary Road; April’s is George Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London.

It looks like the NY staff post their meditations on the work (what I skimmed seemed very interesting) and anybody who registers can put forth an opinion via comment.

#87621 - 03/20/09 12:08 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
essay
Ching Shih

I'd heard about this, but didn't know they were doing Orwell. I think I even have DaOiLaP here somewhere. One of my dad's favorite books--I really should seize the day...
#89050 - 01/24/10 08:34 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

This seems like the place to post about this site:

Distributed Proofreaders

They proofread books for Project Gutenberg, and anyone can join in. You do one page at a time, and each book goes through at least 2 and usually 3 proofreads, so you can be sure that you're not going to be solely responsible if a mistake slips through.

I'm absurdly excited, and am enjoying it so much that I have a paranoid fear that everyone else has known about it for ever and they just haven't told me.

I like being able to dart from book to book. Today I've read masses of early 20th century Science Fiction, had lessons on Horse Riding (in French), travelled around Minnesota with a (rather racist) trapper, and learned about the Jewish community in Montreal in the late 18th Century.

Bliss.

#89053 - 01/24/10 09:04 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Angiv]
essay
Ching Shih

No, not everyone knows about it, Angiv, but I do have a friend who does it, or did. He really liked it. He is a meticulous type--I fear my abilities do not really lie in this direction. I understand the interest in darting around, though.
#89475 - 04/18/10 11:04 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

My aunt tipped me to two sites devoted to international literature in translation.

Words Without Borders is an online magazine that includes both reviews and short stories, essays, poems, and excerpts.

Here's their mission statement:

Quote:
Words without Borders translates, publishes, and promotes the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation.

Every month, on our online magazine, we publish eight to ten new works by international writers. We have published works by Nobel Prize winner J.M.G Le Clézio, Herta Müller, Mahmoud Darwish, Etgar Keret, Per Petterson, Fadhil Al-Azzawi, W.G. Sebald, and Ma Jian, as well as many new and rising international writers. To date we have published well over a thousand pieces from 114 countries and eighty languages.

They also publish print anthologies.

Three Percent is mostly reviews and news/info/commentary. Here's some info about it:

Quote:
The motivating force behind the website is the view that reading literature from other countries is vital to maintaining a vibrant book culture and to increasing the exchange of ideas among cultures. In this age of globalization, one of the best ways to preserve the uniqueness of cultures is through the translation and appreciation of international literary works. To remain among the world’s best educated readers, English speakers must have access to the world’s great literatures. It is a historical truism and will always remain the case that some of the best books ever written were written in a language other than English.

Unfortunately, only about 3% of all books published in the United States are works in translation. That is why we have chosen the name Three Percent for this site. And that 3% figure includes all books in translation—in terms of literary fiction and poetry, the number is actually closer to 0.7%. While that figure obviously represents more books than any one person could read in a year, it’s hardly an impressive number.

An even greater shame is that only a fraction of the titles that do make their way into English are covered by the mainstream media. So despite the quality of these books, most translations go virtually unnoticed and never find their audience.

The idealistic hope of Three Percent is to help change that—at least a little bit. By bringing readers information about goings-on in the world of international literature, and by providing reviews and samples of books in translation and those that have yet to be translated, we hope to serve as a resource for readers, students, translators, and editors interested in international literature.

#89629 - 05/27/10 03:16 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: deborah]
Anne's Friend Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge, United Kingdom

I'm rather excited about this: they're digitising and putting online all of Jane Austen's known fiction manuscripts. How wonderful is that? I'm sure it'll be a boon to those studying her work; personally, I think it's just plain brilliant to be able to see them. You can find the web site here: http://www.janeausten.ac.uk .
#89633 - 05/27/10 06:00 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Anne's Friend]
grapevyne
Ching Shih

You are now not only Anne's friend, but mine also. That is a wonderful site. To be able to see something that was beyond my reach before today is priceless.
#89635 - 05/27/10 09:20 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: grapevyne]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Oh, the facsimile scans are just gorgeous. Yay for technology and access!
#89862 - 07/27/10 09:23 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Anne's Friend]
StephA
Ching Shih

Just wanted to mention a book-review blog I've been enjoying: http://booksidoneread.blogspot.com

(She recently read and loved I Capture The Castle, which I know is a beloved book of many of the Chickliterati!)

#90142 - 10/12/10 03:13 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: StephA]
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

Distributed Proofreaders just launched a blog to coincide with their 10th anniversary (they're younger than us!). It's here with an interesting mix of articles already.
#90143 - 10/13/10 12:54 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Angiv]
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

There's a British site that finds books for you based on various criteria that you input...it's adding to my library requests at an alarming rate.

http://www.whichbook.net/

#90146 - 10/13/10 08:56 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: VegetarianOnHiatus]
essay
Ching Shih

Thanks, VoH. I love this kind of stuff.
#90148 - 10/14/10 11:53 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Ohhh, this is not a good discovery. Why, oh why, did I click on that link when I was at work?
#90155 - 10/17/10 01:32 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Ooh. Whichbook is a great site. Thanks, VOH!
#90219 - 11/01/10 12:17 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

NPR Books is looking for some feedback on what they could be doing better: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2010/11/01/130975704/books-done-better-you-tell-us-how
#91389 - 01/15/12 08:38 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Erin W
Ching Shih

A couple of my friends recently started a blog about sci-fi/fantasy. Not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of Chicklit Nation loves that stuff, and I'd love to give them some publicity! Anyway, Novums.
Page all of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: