Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53457 - 02/13/02 01:02 AM Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I don't know, maybe I just can't see it in the list, but it seems to me there should already be a topic like this. Anyway, if there is, someone with less brain fog than me can bump it and I'll repost.

In the meantime, I received an announcement about this site, and wanted to share it with you:

Quote:
Hyde Park Review of Books' Antidote to the Incredibly Shrinking Book Review Section

Chicago, IL – February 10, 2002 – As Newspapers and Magazines continue to slash the size of their book review sections, and diminish the importance of a serious book culture in the US, the Hyde Park Review of Books is proud to announce the launch of an exclusively online antidote to the incredibly shrinking book review section.

Quarterly and exclusively online, Hyde Park Review of Books features literary critiques of the most promising fiction and serious nonfiction from small, medium, independent, and University presses as well as a few larger publishers.

Our goal is to provide the largest review forum for the most promising fiction and serious nonfiction books from authors and publishers often overlooked or under reported on by other review publications.

If you know of other sites devoted to books and literature and you want to share, please do.

#53458 - 02/13/02 12:40 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Willow431
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

I like MobyLives for news coverage of the book world. And the 2000 and 2001 Moby Awards are really funny.

Quote:
The THIS COULD EXPLAIN THE ELECTION, Part One Award ... goes to Al Gore. According to trade reports, in the week after Gore said his favorite book was Stendahl's ''The Red and the Black,'' it sold a grand total of 51 copies nationwide.
The THIS COULD EXPLAIN THE ELECTION, Part Two Award ... goes to George W. Bush. In the week after Bush said his favorite book from childhood was ''The Very Hungry Caterpillar,'' it sold 272 copies nationwide.
The AND THE WINNER IS Award ... goes to George W. Bush, for picking as his favorite childhood book ''The Very Hungry Caterpillar,'' which was first published the year after he graduated from Yale.

I know, he probably read it to his daughters, but it's still funny.

Edited to add that Central Booking also has a great news page.

[This message has been edited by Willow431 (edited February 13, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Willow431 (edited March 02, 2002).]

#53459 - 02/13/02 02:14 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
WriterGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: once Atlanta, GA; now Brooklyn...

Well, Arts & Letters Daily deserves a mention.

I found a lovely booklog a couple months ago and have since lost it again. The man behind it was named Jeff, I think.

#53460 - 05/07/02 03:37 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
bookslut
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Austin, TX USA

This is slightly off the subject, but I just started a webzine for readers called 'Bookslut' and I'm looking for writers. I need reviewers, columnists, and interviewers.

I have been a fan of chicklit and a lurker on this forum for about a year now, and I very much like the site.

Anyway, if anyone would be interested, please e-mail me at jessa @ bookslut.com and let me know what you would like to write.

#53461 - 05/07/02 04:49 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hi bookslut, you will probably get a better response to you call for submissions if you post it in the Announcements section.
#53462 - 05/07/02 05:25 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
pinkvodka
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin

I really enjoy Readerville .
#53463 - 05/07/02 06:54 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

This is me either looking for a site, or inadvertently handing off a business idea --

I'm looking for the bibiophile's equivalent to the Internet Movie Database. This came about because I noticed that I now read all the reviews of a movie, as well as CVs for everyone involved, whenever I watch anything. And I thought, Hey, wouldn't it be great if there was an Internet Book Database where people could look up book reviews and author bibiographies by title. And thanks to the miracles of ISBN number, the Library of Congress and the Dewey Decimal system, you'd be able to search for books as easily as you can currently search for movies by genre.

If anything remotely like this exists, please let me know. If not ... well, I wonder how one would go about building it. I think it'd be a fabulous resource for bibliophiles.

#53464 - 05/07/02 11:27 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
sarahzia
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Sobell, it sounds like you're describing a combination of BGMI (the biography and geneology master index), WorldCat (OCLC's online union catalog), and Book Review Index/Book Review Digest.

The bad news is, they're not free. But, depending on where you live and whether you have a University affiliation of some sort, you probably can manage access somehow. A lot of states are providing access to such things through the public libraries. And there is a (free) backdoor into WorldCat through ALibris, I think.

#53465 - 08/21/02 08:27 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkvodka:
I really enjoy Readerville .

Apologies for not knowing where this came from. Someone sent it to me and I am too busy/lazy to look it up.

Online Discussion Site to Launch Journal
Literary discussion site Readerville.com is launching a print publication, The Readerville Journal, on September 25. MJ Rose (a popular Readerville.com participant) reports in Wired, "Editorial will focus on all the ways in which books touch readers' lives, about the ideas and things and places found in books, and on the people for whom books are an important part of daily life. The four-color glossy debuts with Elizabeth McCracken interviewing Jeffrey Eugenides, a memoir of a memoir festival by Chris Offutt, a Q&A with Felix Dennis about his bibliomanic ways, and short stories by Dan Chaon and Katharine Weber." Popular with writers as well as readers, the site has what is called "an established audience of 20,000 readers who visit its online forum" monthly. Randall Stickrod, founding executive publisher of Wired magazine, is the journals ED publisher. The publication will carry both regular advertisements and an ad section offering reduced rates for authors.

#53466 - 09/12/02 09:29 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
BethG2
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

Actually, I think the closest you can get is the Novelist database. A lot of public libraries have it available to their patrons. You can do a lot of different types of searches on it.
Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: