Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53467 - 01/08/03 06:48 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
ula
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Worcester, MA, USA

I have subscribed to and read the first two issues of The Readerville Journal and want to let you-all know how *meaty* it is.

There are hardly any ads., and the few that there are, are interesting and
informative.

The issues are packed w/articles and can be read from one page to another (as opposed to---"continued on page 68) which makes for a comfortable reading experience.

Go to: http://www.readerville.com
for subcription info.

(I am not affiliated w/Readerville in any way except as a lurker).

#53468 - 01/16/03 09:03 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Mirren
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver

Look! Samuel Pepys\'s diary has been set up as a weblog. How zeitgeist-y.
#53469 - 03/11/03 03:08 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Does anyone subscribe to Book magazine ? What do you think of it?
#53470 - 03/12/03 08:59 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

I don't subscribe to Book Magazine but I do purchase the odd copy here and there. I like it. It's a bit gossipy at times (a bit like People magazine for books -- they often ask celebrities what they are reading, for example) and often covers genres that I don't personally read, but there are some fun regular features. One of them is a photo spread of an author's study or wherever they write and they draw arrows to all of the things tacked up on bulletin boards and make amusing comments about them. There are also lots of reviews of upcoming books. I really liked the January issue (with Alice Sebold on the cover) as it predicted up and coming writers and they had some very interesting choices and profiles.
It's definately worth a look.

#53471 - 03/17/03 09:43 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
lex
Ching Shih

Loc: mostly Canada

I just found this great website. It is mostly applicable to Canadians, but it's very well done and has some UK submission calls as well.

http://www.placesforwriters.com

#53472 - 03/17/03 12:51 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Whole Wheat
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta

I found January while looking for information about a book my offline bookclub was reading. It includes reviews and interviews. I'm not crazy about the long introductions to the interviews that quote from the interview below though.
#53473 - 03/17/03 09:47 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
rustee
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts

I use Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com to find the books which are going to be published. Then I go to the new Massachusetts library site to see when the book will be available. If it is "in process/due soon" I request it. If the publication is down the line, I add it to my "save" list.

#53474 - 03/18/03 03:25 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Sarahsponda
Ching Shih

Loc: Nebraska, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by StephA:
Does anyone subscribe to Book magazine ? What do you think of it?
My college subscribes to it so I usually just read theirs while I work. Sometimes it is interesting, but I read so much genre fiction and books that aren't brand new that many of the articles don't appeal to me.

And now that B&N is asserting their ownership, it is going to be changed to Barnes and Noble Presents Book Magazine and I fear the whole thing is going to become a great big advertisement. Yuk.

Here's the NYTimes article that explains it:
B&N and Book Magazine Try a New Tack

#53475 - 09/29/03 04:06 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

I love stories, that's a given. Short stories are wonderful chunks of juicy literature that I can stuff in my bags, pull out and read anywhere and feel satisfied in a short amount of time.

Free short stories are even better... While I've had some gut bombs that I've read, most of the unusual authors and writing I've come across have been the freebies. The very best being free stuff I can print out, fold up and tuck into pockets, other books, bags and purse.

Now, thanks to Bookslut's link, I've hit a motherload of international fiction.

I'm feasting to fullness.

http://www.wordswithoutborders.org

#53476 - 12/30/03 02:45 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

I adore the travel books by Traveler's Tales. The stories are written by the travelers, detailing their experiences. I really look forward to new editions each year...

Imagine my delight in finding their (newly updated) Travelers\' Tales web site -- the site is comprehensive and not just a web address to hawk those books \:\)

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: