Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53477 - 07/11/04 10:10 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Bumping for Colleen.

And while I'm here, I'm liking Bookslut quite a bit lately, especially the blog.

#53478 - 07/13/04 12:14 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Colleen
Ching Shih

Loc: Anacortes, WA

Thanks Masha and it's funny that you mentioned Bookslut because I am reviewing for them these days. I really like the blog also, it's one of my daily sites.

I wanted to point all of you in the direction of Electica.org, a quarterly lit magazine on the web. I just started reviewing for them and was thrilled when I found it early this year. It's kind of a Granta-type mag, fiction and nonfiction, columns, poetry. Really a good mixed bag of all sorts of things. They work really hard at putting together a good product every quarter and I think deserve as much attention as they can get, so take a look if you have a minute!!

Thanks.......Colleen

PS. I would have put in a link but can't figure out how to do it quickly and there is a two year old pulling my arm off the keyboard...sorry!

#53479 - 07/14/04 07:33 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Exxie
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

Colleen, what do you review on Bookslut? I do the "Feminine Fox" column as well as random book reviews. (Ashamedly, I don't often read each issue in its entirety...I skip the reviews I know I'm not interested in, and sometimes I'm just lazy!)
#53480 - 07/17/04 09:55 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Colleen
Ching Shih

Loc: Anacortes, WA

Exxie:

I just started doing reviews about 3-4 months ago and have focussed on books with a historical bent. I started with a feature about Antoine de Saint-Exupery to coincide with the discovery of his aircraft and have reviewed new books by Paul Collins and Barbara Hodgson since then. Next month is a collection of essays on America by Russian authors.

I'm in the middle of moving cross county right now (FL to OR) and I'm up in Alaska for a month in between the move to help out the inlaws (this is a crazy way to move!) so reviewing for Bookslut and Eclectica has been a little on the tough side. My plan for next month is to turn in an article/interview on Persephone Books. They've been great to exchange emails with and I adore them so much. I was really glad that Jessa agreed to have an article on them at Bookslut.

And at Eclectica I'm writing about comic books for the next issue.

This would all be great fun if I wasn't doing it out of a box of stuff jammed into a guest room! I did just get the new Jenny McPhee book to review for Bookslut and I'm loving it, so that should show up next month also even though it isn't really a history type book.

I'll have to back and reread your columns now. There's so much to read in every issue that I often just jump around also.

Colleen

#53481 - 08/12/04 07:33 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I've really been enjoying Kitabkhana (which I believe is Urdu for library, or more literally perhaps, book room).
#53482 - 08/12/04 08:56 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

What a great blog, deborah - thanks for mentioning it.

Kitabkhana must be (at least partly) an Arabic loan word - k-t-b is the only root I remember from two weeks of Arabic linguistics about nine years ago, and it relates to books and reading. And I'm so pleased with myself for remembering anything at all, I felt I must mention it.

#53483 - 08/12/04 12:30 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

dazey: Yes, the root k-t-b connotes the idea of writing. Kitaab is the Arabic word for book. Urdu would certainly have taken it from Arabic.

I believe the Arabic word for library is maktaba. (And it also means bookstore.)

#53484 - 09/10/04 06:52 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
decafcoffeecup
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: North Norfolk coast, UK.

I've found a wonderful site about Gallery Books - an independent book retailer based in Mendocino, CA. In particular, the owner of the shop (Tony Miksak) has a radio broadcast "Words on Books" which is then available in a (text) column on the company website.
It covers many subjects: Book reviews, the prospect of B&N looming large over smaller book-sellers, day-to-day experiences of working in the shop, life in general etc. It's a really good read.

Gallery Books

#53485 - 09/19/04 08:48 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I've just learned about a site that is the literary equivalent of Netflix. Unfortunately it only seems to cater to the United States, but perhaps they'll expand in the future: Booksfree .

Brought to you by the Department of Enabling.

#53486 - 10/14/04 12:05 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RedLightGreen searches a database of 120 million books and can be refined by author, subject, language etc. Then you can find out if the books you're interested in are available at nearby libraries. (If your library isn't there, there is a tool where you can let them know so they can try to add it.)

Pretty cool!!

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: