Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#53497 - 04/19/05 12:15 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

Well...there's my book journal. Erm, not that I know if it's a great site for avid readers, but I read a lot of good books (lots of nonfiction lately about racism and oppressions of different sorts), so you might want to have a quick look. It's a good site for someone who has the same reading tastes as me or who is in fact me.
TheBostonReader

#53498 - 04/19/05 05:45 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've been reading Emerald City for science-fiction and fantasy reviews. I like Old Hag a lot too.
#53499 - 04/20/05 05:33 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
JoanneMerriam
Ching Shih

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Wentworth:
Are there any sites you chicklitters like to frequent for--not quite reviews, but for reader opinions?
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but Jessamyn West\'s book reviews are great.

#53500 - 04/21/05 11:13 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Just saw a blurb about this in the LA Times. What do you think about the vidlit site for promoting and marketing books?

VidLit

The Hamilton Spectator, April 20, 2005 edition writes:

Quote:

Forget scanning back covers or consulting book reviews to find that next great read. In fact, forget reading altogether. The latest way to choose books is by watching animated excerpts narrated by the authors and now available anywhere you -- and your PC -- are.

Authors and publishers have found a new way to promote literature. A service like VidLit (vidlit.com) turns pithy selections from books into short, funny Flash films to attract online readers.

Native New Yorker Liz Dubelman, VidLit's creator, says she thought the web would be a perfect vehicle for promotion, and she came up with the idea of "high-tech slide-shows" that would entice readers, then direct them to sites where they could buy featured books.

Each film takes about 200 hours to produce. They're getting serious play.

#53501 - 09/29/05 08:39 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I think this blog is really interesting: www.girlondemand.blogspot.com . There are a number of print-on-demand companies out there that will publish anyone's book for a fee, and as this blogger rightly points out, most such books are complete crap--but a few are actual good books that just never found a home anywhere else. She's made it her mission to read as many self-published books as possible and let us know what the rare good ones are.

I like the fact that she's separating the wheat from the copious chaff and letting us know about good books we otherwise would never have learned about. Plus, the site is entertaining and funny.

#53502 - 12/26/05 07:06 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

I need a website or other resource that has reviews of audio books. I want to buy an audio copy of Pride and Prejudice, but I don't want to buy it and then end up hating the reader's voice/style/what have you. The Barnes and Noble website only has reviews of the novel itself, not of the reader. Does anyone know where I might find reviews of the reading itself? Or have a personal recommendation to share?
#53503 - 12/26/05 02:51 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
meesh
Ching Shih

Loc: US

I just looked, and there are three verisions of Pride and Prejudice audiobooks on iTunes. If you have iTunes, you could just listen to the sample there and then buy another format. Otherwise, I have no ideas.
#53504 - 12/26/05 03:56 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

Oh, that is *brilliant*, especially because I'm actually planning to listen to it on an iPod. Thank you!
#53505 - 08/10/06 12:17 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

This is too much fun:

The International Edible Book Gallery: Tasty Samples

#83569 - 06/29/07 07:45 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: BethG2]
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I don't think the following is one anyone's posted here yet:

The Sorted Books Project

Quote:
The Sorted Books project began in 1993 years ago and is ongoing. The project has taken place in many different places over the years, ranging form private homes to specialized public book collections. The process is the same in every case: culling through a collection of books, pulling particular titles, and eventually grouping the books into clusters so that the titles can be read in sequence, from top to bottom. The final results are shown either as photographs of the book clusters or as the actual stacks themselves, shown on the shelves of the library they were drawn from. Taken as a whole, the clusters from each sorting aim to examine that particular library's focus, idiosyncrasies, and inconsistencies a cross-section of that library's holdings. At present, the Sorted Books project comprises more than 130 book clusters.

There are some really good ones here. Now I want to play this game with my books instead of studying for my Psych exam, like I'm supposed to be...I actually think I could do some really good ones with my books on Islam and religion.

If people are interested, we could have a thread featuring photos of our own sorted book clusters.

Edited by deborah (06/29/07 07:49 AM)

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: