Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#83692 - 07/13/07 05:44 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: deborah]
gameforalaugh
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I posted this in the wrong place, so here goes again...

I'm going to recommend two sites that seem targetted at Chicklit readers and give us as good a reason as any to avoid doing any work whatsoever.

Both have stories built up through email inboxes and other stuff.

One is Place Their Face - it seems to be a Facebook style site and not in real time. I've signed up to their weekly newsletter - it is funny - there are 5-10 new messages added each time I go back (every few days).

The other is a little more established - Holly's Inbox . Also well worth a look for an entertaining read - although this is now finished as I think it is up for publication.

Anyone got anything similar to recommend?

#83714 - 07/14/07 09:52 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: deborah]
essay
Ching Shih

This looks great. I'd love to see Chicklit clusters, although since I don't have a digital camera, I probably wouldn't be contributing my own.
#84274 - 08/26/07 03:40 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: essay]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I have a request for scholarly literary databases on the web--the free kind. I'm writing a syllabus for my first freshman writing seminar (to commence in two weeks) and I want to differentiate between "OK internet research" and "don't trust that stupid blogger's opinion on Walt Whitman".

(Even though, of course, I prefer that they would research by going to the library and pulling a book off a shelf like I did. But I digress.)

I've been surfing all afternoon and I like the looks of Bartleby, LiteraryHistory.com, and the Literary Encyclopedia. Can anyone recommend any other useful sites (or debunk these)?

#84277 - 08/27/07 07:57 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I've always had good luck with Bartleby. Are you working with a particular historical period or literary genre? I ask because Luminarium is a fantastic site, but not very many people have a need for obscure Early Modern texts...

Is your course being offered through a university? Will your students have access to subscription databases like JSTOR?

#84281 - 08/27/07 05:57 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Erin W
Ching Shih

They will definitely have access to JSTOR and all the wonderful archived journals on the shelves in the library as well, but I'm fearing some of them won't go that far. I want to be able to make it clear to them that some Internet research is OK and some is not OK, and here is where I draw the line. The more acceptable online places I can give them, the easier for everybody.

This is my first time teaching. Can you tell?

#84296 - 08/29/07 07:10 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Erin W, you might want to let them know about Google Scholar -- if you're not familiar, it's a version of Google that mostly just searches scholarly literature -- papers, books, theses and dissertations, etc. It's actually not always useful for all searches (I work in an undergraduate health sciences library, so I don't really know how it does for literature) but I personally think it can help newcomers to academia understand the meaning of "scholarly", plus it looks comforting and familiar to Google users. It's at scholar.google.com

Also, depending on how pressed you are for time, you might want to talk to the librarian(s) at your institution. Most librarians are happy to come in and talk to your class about research methods (although, if I'm going to be honest, the quality and content of these kinds of presentations can vary wildly, so make sure you know what you're getting).

#84328 - 09/02/07 06:27 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: voiceofreason]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Thanks for the advice. Google Scholar is already on my OK list. Also, I've hit upon a 1-2 ratio (1 book/journal resource for every 2 Internet resources) which I think we can all be comfortable with.

A library visit to get a guided tour through the university database is a requirement for first-timers. I've already scheduled the day!

#84792 - 11/05/07 05:02 PM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Erin W]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

*bumping for ClairyH*
#84799 - 11/06/07 05:31 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: Kivrin]
ClairyH

Loc: United Kingdom

(Am still getting to know this forum!!)

I came across this really fantastic online Blog recently - I was wondering if any of you have ever seen it?

The reason is, I am dying to know more about this woman - she calls herself Elisabeth and her blog is written so delightfully! I am addicted!

Check it out and see what you think...

http://wineglasslogistics.blogspot.com/

#84810 - 11/07/07 01:01 AM Re: Web sites on books and literature [Re: ClairyH]
essay
Ching Shih

I actually found a great site through the advertising at the top of this website. It's called Very Short List, and I would post the link, but if you could click on the advertising link to get there I imagine that would help this site and Deborah a bit. I've already found a couple of things I'm interested in through it, and it's only been a couple of days since I subscribed to their email list.
Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: