Page all of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53791 - 06/19/02 09:40 AM Jane says...
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

And with this , I'm just about done with Jane entirely. (Thanks to DreadPirate for posting the link in the F-word thread.)

What is it about Jane Pratt and her magazines that make me feel so personally betrayed when she does stuff like this with them? Is it that Sassy was such a profound influence on my teen years? Is it that she's thisclose to getting it right, and then throws it all away to indulge her wierd and scary girl crush on Pam? (Not that girl crushes are weird and scary; just this specific one.)

And then Ms. Pratt is planning to get married, have a baby, and start a new magazine for a 40-and-over readership. I don't know how I feel about this (and I don't have the link to the story at hand). Kivrin's mentioned elsewhere that she's intrigued by this plan. What say you?

#53792 - 06/19/02 10:22 AM Re: Jane says...
hispanic barbie
Ching Shih

Loc: Nashville TN

Masha- I've been done with Jane for a few years now- the whole thing is sickening. It's amazing what people with money can and will do. I think that's part of her problem. She somehow got sucked into the trap of being famous by association, then became famous in her own, but forgot where she came from in the sense that early Sassy readers liked her because she wasn't a kiss-up to the masses.
That said, I agree with Kivrin on the point that there aren't mainstream magazines for hip women/moms over 40 who could care less about the crap in Family Circle. At the same time I have a feeling Jane Pratt's latest will go the way of Sassy and Jane- great at first but as her head swells the magazine goes to shit. I also think she knows Jane is crappy and with her new 'life' wants a new avenue to celebrate herself with. I bet Jane folds a year after this new publication starts.
Sassy was a staple in my miserable high school years so I know how you feel on that. All I can say about this new one is that since I'm not close to 40, not a mom, and have no desire to read about every nano-second of her pregnancy and baby's being I have no reason to read it, nor do I plan to.

#53793 - 06/19/02 10:37 AM Re: Jane says...
Anonymous Unregistered

(No relation to Pratt or the magazine - please...)

I dunno. While I'm irked that Anderson will be able to add "columnist" to her resumé and I will not, I'm intrigued by the general idea. I think she's a big bubble head and her writing will likely provide oodles of fodder for ridicule and scoffing, from which I will extract huge pleasure.

#53794 - 06/19/02 12:00 PM Re: Jane says...
shameless
Ching Shih

Loc: northampton, ma, usa

Pammie is writing a column? Ech! Maybe about explaining why her breasts (which she claims are now au natural) are still super-round albiet smaller coconuts? I'm surprised the skin over her breast-plate hasn't torn open 'cuz it looks like it's about gonna. but enough making fun on celebrities. ha! just kidding.
I used to read Sassy in high school and I can't believe that I now find YM, edited by former Sassy girl, Christina Kelly, more involving than Jane. In my opinion, much about Jane is simply the egotistical paper mansion of Pratt's insecurity. A column about her vacation? A fashion spread about her hippie upbringing? A help column? And her annoying self-deprecating cutesy comments...ugh. I kinda suspected she was a true kiss-ass when she fawned over Jason Priestley and the lead guy from Jesus Jones in Sassy. Jane Pratt is another woman that saw a marketing niche in the early 90's for young girls who were "losers" or "geeks." She capitalized on it and now that the "art school" schtick has been done, she's bounded over to the greener (smell the grass, baby) side of the "beautiful people." Not to mention, am I the only one who finds her really boring? From asking female reporters in Afghanistan what beuaty products they wear to woo the natives to constantly gushing about her boyfriend, Pratt has compleately shown herself to be as ridiculous and malleable as an egg of silly puddy, though not as much fun.

#53795 - 06/19/02 12:15 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Here is the other article we were discussing on the F-Word thread: Jane At (Almost) 40 .
I certainly am not interested in reading a moment-by-moment account of Jane's pregnancy either. I would hope she doesn't focus on that too much in the new magazine. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course she will. Sigh. It's kind of a weird idea, actually--
 Quote:
"I don't feel like there's anything out there that celebrates aging in the way that I would," says Pratt.

While I am comfortable with the fact of my age, it's not exactly a cause for celebration...in fact, I really don't like to be reminded of it too often. I wonder if a magazine that focuses on hipster chicks growing older would work at all. Still intrigued though. I think hispanic barbie makes a good observation about the future of Jane magazine. I don't think Jane Pratt will be able to run two magazines successfully. I think she will repeat herself. Oh well. As infuriating as the magazine is at times, I do think there's a huge readership for Jane. I'm not so sure there is quite as large a market for a 40-and-over readership.

#53796 - 06/21/02 02:08 PM Re: Jane says...
Newt
Ching Shih

Why does Jane suck so much when Sassy rocked so much? Easy -- Jane Pratt had very little to do with the editorial success of Sassy. She was involved at the very beginning -- like the first year or two in the late '80s -- but basically was hired at 24 as a figurehead. The publishers figured it would be easier to sell advertisements if the magazine was headed by a young, attractive, bright woman who wasn't too far out of her teen years herself.

After the very beginning, though, she got interested in outside projects like her talk show, and while her name remained on the masthead as the editor in chief, in actuality it was Christina Kelly and Mary Kaye Schilling who were running the magazine. Jane was pretty much always the celebrity kiss-ass she is now.

Jane is a giant trainwreck for me. I had a subscription for its very first year, but couldn't bear to renew my subscription. However, I can't resist picking it up from time to time to see just how bad it's gotten. I'm especially of guilty of this in airports.

Anyway, I can't believe they're relying on Pammie to provide good copy now. What is their obsession with her?

#53797 - 06/26/02 03:26 AM Re: Jane says...
october
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Never mind. Nothing to see here.

[This message has been edited by october (edited June 26, 2002).]

#53798 - 07/06/02 05:02 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Okay, I think I've finally had it with Jane and its petty celebrity love-in - and in defence of Liz Hurley, of all people. Long time readers of the rag might remember that a few years ago they did a cover story on Hurley. It was the usual over-subjective crap that masquerades as an interview in Jane, complete with pervy comments (by a male writer, who I note doesn't write for them anymore) about the exact shape of Hurley's breasts. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of La Liz, but I was frigging delighted when a few months later Jane was forced to print a letter she'd written them, saying that they'd attributed things to her which she'd never said, particularly about her and Hugh Grant's sex life, and that she found the entire tone of the printed interview to be totally offensive. The letter appeared with an apology from the editor and an acknowledgement that the tape had been played back and that Hurley hadn't said any of the Hugh-bashing things they'd quoted her as saying.

Anyway, I thought this was brilliant - a celeb who wasn't willing to join in their schmoozathon! Cut to two years later, and here we find them nominating her as both a badass and, more notably, a villain in their "badass" poll for " for loudly and publicly standing by her baby's paternity no matter how much Dad denied it." Of course, he's since been proved to be the father, so it looks like Jane aren't as up on celebrity insider gossip as say, Hello! magazine, but what the hell, a petty grudge is a petty grudge, right? Arseholes.

[This message has been edited by Bear (edited July 06, 2002).]

#53799 - 07/10/02 03:25 PM Re: Jane says...
starbucksweetie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I read an issue of Jane, and it tries to be hardcore and real, but its not.
#53800 - 07/14/02 08:48 AM Re: Jane says...
Annapurna
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I, too, loved Sassy, and I just recently threw them away a few years ago in a fit of ill-advised decluttering. I still remember the interview with Kurt Cobain, when an as-yet-unknown Courtney Love tagged along.

The whole time I was reading this thread, all I could think about was ths issue of Jane with Katie Holmes on the cover (I picked it up to read during a beach vacation). That is the issue with Liz Hurley's dignified and outraged response to the article printed months before. It was then I realized how shoddy and unimportant "Jane" really was. I mean, here is an interview with a celebrity...Elizabeth Hurley is saying things about much publicized topics (her relationship with Hugh, their breakup...) that she's never said before, revelations, if you will, and nobody thinks to play the tape of the interview to fact check?

#53801 - 07/15/02 01:33 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Has anyone else noticed that the current issue of Jane has more than enough articles/references to pregnancy, marriage and family? Yuk. Pammy on pregnancy....bleh. Jane asking about prenuptial agreements...ick. And so on. Sigh.
#53802 - 08/12/02 11:34 PM Re: Jane says...
DreadPirate
Ching Shih

Loc: Lanham, MD, U.S.A.

Jane gets mentioned in this week's The Onion. I thought it was amusing:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3828/magazine_announces.html

[This message has been edited by DreadPirate (edited August 13, 2002).]

#53803 - 09/15/02 10:04 AM Re: Jane says...
lakemeader
Gráinne ni Mhaille

here's the thing:
SASSY was uber cool. i couldn't even describe its coolness.
JANE is just too loud.

#53804 - 09/17/02 07:15 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

What's up with that Madonna photo on the cover of the current issue? wonders Kivrin, shaking her head.
Now, I like the idea of Madonna on the cover. She's my age. (She's Jane's age.) She's a Mom. I'm a Mom. (Jane's a Mom-to-be.) But, it's a bit contrived...and such an unflattering photo!

#53805 - 11/12/02 02:35 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Okay, it's been out for a couple of weeks now, so this is a bit late, but did anyone else see Jane's editor's letter in this month's issue? Jesus Christ, someone get that woman a good therapist! If you didn't see it, she spends half of going on about how someone on the Jane forums said that she (Jane) was ugly, and how once that would have really bothered her, but now it doesn't, nuh huh, no way. Fucking hell, woman, grow up. And don't put a frigging picture of yourself on every second page of the magazine if you don't expect people to comment on them once in a while.

She also uses valuable paper by saying how she was asked to be a judge on American Idol, but she said no, and of course she's glad she said no, because why would she want to be famous? (Maybe naming a magazine after yourself is enough for her). Then she asks readers to go the forums and vote on whether her sad fiance is cute or not....oh God. That magazine is just getting embarrassing to read.

#53806 - 11/12/02 03:41 PM Re: Jane says...
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

After learning of Ms. Pratt's bout with Irritable Bowel Syndrome somewhere in the middle of their "health" pages, I blanked out for the rest of the issue. There are some things you can never un-think.
#53807 - 12/04/02 10:46 AM Re: Jane says...
totallunachick
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.

Did anyone else read the Faith Hill interview? I work in a bookstore, so I'm not forced to hand over money for mag crapola. I read the interview in the breakroom and couldn't help noticing that what's-her-name really did not like Ms. Hill. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the singer, but the interview seemed really weighted to make her look stupid, bitchy and vague.
#53808 - 01/16/03 07:15 PM Re: Jane says...
MoiFilmNoir
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: California

Quote:
Originally posted by totallunachick:
Did anyone else read the Faith Hill interview? I work in a bookstore, so I'm not forced to hand over money for mag crapola. I read the interview in the breakroom and couldn't help noticing that what's-her-name really did not like Ms. Hill. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the singer, but the interview seemed really weighted to make her look stupid, bitchy and vague.
Yup, I read it and I thought it was a total hatchet job. Why have Faith Hill on the cover of Jane (and WTF was her publicist thinking to okay that move?) just to trash her? I doubt Faith Hill fans are in the Jane demographic anyway.

I've subscribed to Jane for a year now. I didn't read Sassy and have no knowledge of the early Jane, so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't know what made me pick up the first issue but when I did I thought it was the bomb. So witty! So irreverant! So in-your-face! But recent developments, like Pammy's column and other choices that displayed questionable judgement, have left me a little cold. I'll stick with it, but I do so with little passion.

#53809 - 03/25/03 09:30 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Jaysus. Has anyone else seen 'Jane's Diary' in the current issue? Jane herself is out on maternity leave, so of course, the page is devoted to - and I swear I am not making this up - her co-workers gushing about how much they miss her! It's insane! Also, the letters page features a missive from one of La Pratt's neighbours, complaining about the state of the house (which is apparently covered in graffiti). Pratt's partner responds in a snitty little rant about he and his demented egomaniac wife (except strangely he doesn't call her that) have just had a child - which the neighbour presumably doesn't know about as he or she "hasn't sent a gift". It's just so fucking tragic - who do they think likes this stuff?

And yet, somehow, I keep buying it, if only to get riled up at how ridiculous it is. The thing that really amuses me/annoys me is the fact that they only print derogatory letters from crazy right-wingers ranting on about how evil and communist Jane is, rather than ones from cool girls who find the magazine's self-indulgence pathetic and don't think it's feminist and lefty enough. Do they really think we who are already feminists and who read good books and listen to Le Tigre and wear Built By Wendy clothes and all that - the sort of thing they try and make all their readers aspire to - actually think they're cool rather than just tragic?

#53810 - 03/25/03 06:48 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Hee! Bear--the best part of reading 'Jane's Diary' is following it up by reading your rant about it. As I was reading those insipid butt-kissing comments from Jane's staff, I was thinking gleefully, "Oh yeah, Bear is going to love this stuff!"
#53811 - 03/29/03 04:52 PM Re: Jane says...
ann74
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I saw the Diary and that letter in this month's Jane, and it made me think of this thread. The part about the baby gift (or lack thereof) is especially obnoxious. I doubt this child is going to want for anything in the first place, and in the second place, find someone to clean up your damn graffiti if you don't have time to do it yourself. And in the third place, keep your neighbor relationship issues to yourself, because who else really cares? Maybe their neighbor really is a self-centered, rude jerk, but the rest of the world certainly doesn't need to know about it- deal with it privately.

I didn't even finish reading the Diary, it was that bad.

#53812 - 04/19/03 10:57 PM Re: Jane says...
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

Beck made me do it. I don't know why. He's just look so great on the cover that I bought the latest issue today. And man was it bad.
There was this anonymous tip from a starlet who says she's being shaving her face since puberty and it makes her skin smooth. HUH?
Then Lacey Chabert said never to shave your eyebrows! Wow! Thanks Lacey for that super-duper advice.
And last but not least, Jane acknowledges that there are Jane-haters. Shocking.

#53813 - 06/04/03 03:34 AM Re: Jane says...
cerebrate
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle, WA

If you guys don't yet read Bitch Magazine , it's worth a look for no other reason than the column they run every issue - the Jane Petty Criticism Corner. It all started with Ten Things to Hate about Jane . I can't help but cackle with validated glee every time I read it, and I look forward to every new rant in the new issues.
#53814 - 07/17/03 09:23 AM Re: Jane says...
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

And if you want to keep reading the Petty Criticism Corner, you'll have to subscribe to Bitch or find some other way to help support the magazine -- it desperately needs your help. Please see my post about helping Bitch in the Announcements forum if you haven't already. Thanks!
#53815 - 07/17/03 12:35 PM Re: Jane says...
always-anne-shirley
Ching Shih

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee

Sassy WAS cool, but it eventually sold out. By the mid-nineties (maybe I'm the youngest person here...) it didn't have anything to offer that Teen didn't, and Seventeen was actually starting to step up to the challenge of having something worthwhile to read.
#53816 - 07/18/03 04:28 PM Re: Jane says...
Ace
Gráinne ni Mhaille

II think it's more precise to say Sassy was sold, than that it sold out.
#53817 - 07/18/03 09:05 PM Re: Jane says...
always-anne-shirley
Ching Shih

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee

fair enough.
#53818 - 07/19/03 12:47 PM Re: Jane says...
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Pamela Anderson as a reporter!?! That's like having Mickey Mouse as a war correspondent!

Actually, I think Mickey would do a better job. :p

#53819 - 07/19/03 12:52 PM Re: Jane says...
Isabel Archer
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham Alabama

Pathetically, she's not a reporter. She writes a commentary column. Even scarier.
#53820 - 07/24/03 09:29 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Oh, for the love of God. I just got the latest issue (yeah, I know, I know, it's liek a drug, okay?) and La Pam is on the cover yet again. The fuck? My friend Small H and I think that a cover-interview got cancelled and she was their easily accessible, fall-back celeb. To be honest, I think Pam seems likeable enough, but I have no particular interest in her, and why she's become such a figurehead for a magazine ostensibly aimed at hipsters is beyond me.

Also, the cutesy reference to Jane's offspring on the 'In the next issue' slot ([Jane's September issue is so thick little Charlotte will be using it as a booster seat')? So not cute. Just really fucking annoying. If I put random first-name-only references to my friends or (hypothetical) kids in an article, I would probably be out of a job. And rightly so.

And yet again, the letters complaining about the mag are from crazy Christians, rather than, to unfortunately quote Maggie Thatcher, "people like us". Bloody hell.

Hee. Is that cross enough, Kivrin?

#53821 - 07/24/03 01:08 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Absolutely!
#53822 - 07/24/03 06:51 PM Re: Jane says...
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I'm going to start a twelve-step program to get you all off Jane.

Seriously, I went cold turkey years ago and am much happier for it.

#53823 - 07/24/03 07:06 PM Re: Jane says...
Selena
Ching Shih

Loc: Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Well, I have to say I got off Jane about a year and a half ago when I realized I had to start saving money to buy/move into our new house and that something had to go. It worked for me. And now that I haven't been buying it for a while, it's very easy to keep not buying it. I must admit that when I saw the latest issue with Pam on the cover at the grocery store, I thought of y'all (and your probable reaction) and smiled to myself.
#53824 - 08/16/03 09:53 AM Re: Jane says...
Isabel Archer
Ching Shih

So did you see the most recent issue in which Jane Pratt disses SEVERAL of the celebrities featured in the mag in her editor's note?

She's got a serious pathology goin' on.

#53825 - 08/22/03 05:06 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Postpartum psychosis perhaps? She also slammed her own magazine's layout/articles/photos pretty hard. Weird as hell. Don't even get me started on Pammie's whiney leave-me-alone-paparazzi rant. Who really cares? And Stephanie Trong pole-dancing? Ick. Ick. Ick.

I'm done with it. Really. I swear an oath on Chicklit right now to never purchase another Jane.

One positive thing from the issue:
The mention in Reviews of two new books which are probably both very good and worth noting--Vendela Vida's And Now You Can Go and Heidi Julavit's The Effect of Living Backwards.

But they were already on my TBR list.

#53826 - 08/23/03 11:20 AM Re: Jane says...
Isabel Archer
Ching Shih

Well, the most recent Pammy nonsense is this hand-written scrawl which she faxed in. They published it handwritten, as is. Why did they even publish that!? It wasn't even legible!
#53827 - 09/09/03 01:04 PM Re: Jane says...
Sweet Potato
Ching Shih

Loc: Germany

I picked up my first issue last week just because it looked like a nice bubblegum vacation/poolside read. I had never read Jane before.

I had this awful semi-disgusted feeling when reading through. Until I just read the first post in this thread about what the actual intention of this magazine was supposed to be, I thought it was a magazine written by a bunch of spoiled brats who have grown up in some 90210-style clique. There is just this feeling that everything is written with some conscious "I am so damn SNARKY!" attitude, and it seems so phony to me.

So I was relieved upon reading this thread that I am not alone.

What is the deal with this Pammie? I don't get it. Who is it? I chucked my magazine already so I can't re-examine for some of the details mentioned here.

#53828 - 11/11/03 08:12 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Bump!
#53829 - 11/11/03 12:22 PM Re: Jane says...
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Every month it shows up, every month I compose a new rant in my head while reading it, and every month the ire dissipates before I make it back to the computer to post. That's progress, right?

The only thing currently sticking in my head was Pam Anderson's column about how great gays are. Well, boy gays are, since she made no mention at all about gay girls, because they're obviously not nearly as faaaaabulous. Gah.

#53830 - 11/11/03 12:28 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Hee, Masha, me too! And yeah, Pam's stupid column really pissed me off too. "I might as well be gay", eh? But not a lesbian, of course! No, because "gay" automatically means "stereotypical fabulous gay man".

Ugh. But! Note I was able to go to my magazine rack and check the exact title of Pammie's latest nonsense before posting. The shame, the shame.

#53831 - 11/28/03 06:11 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Did anyone see the little piece about a new hipster-porn mag in the current issue, which begins with the words "There's only one thing more brilliant than Jane's concept - a beauty/fashion/lifestyle magazine that feels like your best friends wrote it - and that would be...."?

First of all - snerk. Yes, it would feel like that, if my friends were egomaniacal name-dropping arseholes who aren't vaguely as hip as they think they are. And second of all - that's the concept? Really? Because I thought it was "a fucked up vanity project with a couple of okay articles masquerading as a a beauty/fashion/lifestyle magazine that feels like it was written by people purely to show the less cool how cool they could be."

Honestly, mocking this magazine gives me more pleasure than reading it seriously ever could.

#53832 - 12/02/03 02:09 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Kivrin raises her hand... Bear--I did, I did! I had to read it twice, and then I thought to myself--God, why am I reading a Jane article twice to understand it? Pffft.

And yet...I continue to buy and read this magazine. So. I must be getting something out of it, but I think what I enjoy the most is checking this thread for your witty observations of each issue!

#53833 - 12/02/03 02:56 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Hee! Why, thank you, Kivrin.And, it's just plain fun having stuff you love to hate.

To be totally fair to Jane, it does sometimes have decent articles. Alas, too often the rampant egomania from which all its writers seem to suffer spoils pieces on even the most interesting topics. And Jane Pratt is a freaking lunatic.

#53834 - 12/30/03 08:39 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I used to subscribe to Jane but gradually grew to loathe it and let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago. (And I've been much happier without it!) Just the other day I got a mailer trying to sell me a subscription, but it was sent to my work address, not my home address, and was clearly meant for people who had never subscribed before. I mean, considering I'd previously subscribed, did they really think I'd fall for ad copy like this?
 Quote:
Every issue of JANE is written and designed with you in mind...by people who don't just talk about your lifestyle--they live it.

In it, you'll find everything that matters to you the most--wearable (note the keyword, "wearable") clothes and accessories that won't break the bank, interviews and profiles of celebrities and musicians that you actually care about...

I've put so much of my heart and soul into this magazine that I frankly can't imagine that you won't like it.
Please. I can't believe they actually emphasized the wearability and affordability of the clothes in Jane, considering they're anything but. And it's news to me that they feature profiles of celebrities that I care about--last time I checked, I didn't feel the need for multiple articles by and about Pamela Anderson.

Needless to say, I wasn't inspired to resubscribe. Bite me, Jane.

#53835 - 12/30/03 11:15 PM Re: Jane says...
xenopi
Ching Shih

Loc: Paradise City

Quote:
egomaniacal name-dropping arseholes who aren't vaguely as hip as they think they are.
Thank you, like I really need to know what kind of eyelash curler Xtina prefers. Jane doesn't even make my airplane trash list anymore, if I take a flight that lasts longer than SPIN and Blender combined, I bring a book. Bringing Pam Anderson on board stinks of shark jumping.

#53836 - 06/15/04 08:42 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Wow, it's been quite some time since I ranted about Jane, but the current issue was too much for me to resist. An entire editor's letter devoted to crawling up Drew Barrymore's arse? A really clunkily written-piece by Ms Barrymore herself (I don't have anything against her, actually, but man, she's not a writer)? All this on top of the unreadable pile of crap that was the previous "celebrity-produced" issue. Jesus.

And that interview with the wanking-addict head of American Apparel was, um, unsettling. Did anyone else feel like the writer was getting a bit too involved with her subject? Coincidentally, I read the piece while wearing one of the compant's t-shirts, which I may never look at in the same way again.

Then there was the travel piece by Jane's mother about their family holiday which cost nearly three grand per four-member family for just four days. Um, yeah, that's accessible. What a feature - nepotism and blithe arrogance all in one!

I do, however, have to grudgingly give Jane props for regularly featuring queer women in their relationships/sex features. Hey, I said grudgingly!

#53837 - 06/15/04 03:32 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Oh glee! Bear, I actually formatted a post to this thread yesterday, and somehow deleted it! Same wavelength with the current issue!

I felt kind of ill after reading the American Apparel article. Yes, I had a very difficult time understanding why the author seemingly fell so hard for such a scary ass, creepy dude. Drew is a cutie, and definitely not a writer, but she writes a bit better than Pam.

The travel piece by Pratt's mom-blergh!

I was glad to see My Girlfriend is Now my Boyfriend in It Happened to Me. So, yeah. Props to Jane for that.

In the post that never posted, I had made the observation that it had been a good long while since the last Bear rant!

And...I also have an embarrassing confession. I subscribed! Deranged of me, eh? But they got me--$8 sub cost with a free black messenger bag! Oh sh*t, the bag won't say JANE in big block letters, will it?

#53838 - 06/15/04 04:51 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Quote:
Same wavelength with the current issue!
Hee! What does it say about this issue's extreme craposity that both of us felt compelled to break our months-long Jane-silence to rant about it?!

You're right about Drew being a better writer than Pammie. It's funny, I actually find both quite likeable, but they should just stay away from the writing business. They're not good at it. I still can't believe that, given the tone of the magazine, Pam is a big draw to their "ideal" reader.

Quote:

I felt kind of ill after reading the American Apparel article. Yes, I had a very difficult time understanding why the author seemingly fell so hard for such a scary ass, creepy dude.
I know! There was one bit where she seemed really impressed that he was wearing a pair of trousers which she also owned. I just kept thinking, "for god's sake, he's wanking in front of you! He's getting a blow-job in front of you! HE IS AN ENORMOUS CREEPY FREAK!" And yet she seems charmed, and unable to give up his company! Seriously, I'm starting to wish that American Apparel t-shirts weren't so well-fitting and sweat-shop free, because the thought of funding that man's freakiness does not appeal to me. They really are very well-made shirts, though...

And believe me, if the international subs were that cheap, I'd get one too. Actually, they are relatively cheap, as international subs go...no! I can't let myself do it!

#53839 - 06/15/04 05:41 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Quote:
Hee! What does it say about this issue's extreme craposity that both of us felt compelled to break our months-long Jane-silence to rant about it?!
Craposity. I love it!

...Oh, but I am sorry about your t-shirt...

#53840 - 09/21/04 07:00 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Well, it's been several months since my last Jane-related rant, but the current issue is SO FREAKING TERRIBLE that I feel the urge to share my feelings on the matter. In handy point form!

JUST SOME OF THE REASONS THE CURRENT ISSUE OF JANE SUCKS.

1. Jane's editor's letter, in which she tells us that now Jane has more ads and is "santised for your protection", it's somehow a "little bit more subversive than before". Because nothing is more subversive than a two-page ad for the National Guard! You keep telling yourself that, Jane....

2. The fact that she begins the aforementioned letter by flashing back to when the magazine began and they just had one bare conference room and one phone line, as if they were a zine like Bust or Bitch and this one room was someone's kitchen instead of the HQ of a glossy magazine OWNED BY A HUGE MULTINATIONAL COMPANY. Can she be any more self-deluded?

3. Why, of course she can! Because yet again she fills up the rest of the letter with her staff's praise of her! Including one snippet which she obviously misguidedly thought made her sound sympathetic as opposed to vapid fool - one of the staff tells about meeting Jane on the street and her having tons of bags filled with thousands of dollars worth of designer clothes, which he's never actually seen her wear. "She's a clothes hoarder not a clothes whore!" he "laughs". Yeah, because actually wearing the fancy clothes she'd just spent my yearly wage on would be so much worse than hiding them away like a loon. Fucking arsehole.

4. The article by Stephanie Trong about "Stepford Singles" which pretends that all the preposterous beauty routines it features aren't the ones expounded by every single one of those nice expensive ads. Why can't Jane just accept that it's a mainstream magazine and stop pretending that it's cooler than all the things it writes about and features? It wouldn't be particularly good then, but it probably wouldn't be so intensely irritating.

Ahhhhhh! That felt good.

#53841 - 09/22/04 09:09 PM Re: Jane says...
BellaStella
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

Yes, I am like a lot of you out there who have a love-hate relatiionship with Jane. I just signed up tonight for the chicklit forums and am finding A LOT of my interests being discussed here so I am so joyous/joyful?.. nevermind, happy, because of that.
Ironically, my boyfriend bought me the september issue of Jane tonight, but I already had it...so I have two issues now...what should I do with it? any suggestions? hehe. burn it? or frame it? I'm so confused. Do I like Jane or do I hate them? i dunno....i read it every month, but I also like to join in on Jane bashing.
anyways one more thing:
It said somewhere that Jane describes itself as a magazine written by your best friends? Yeah, maybe if you were best friends with that chick from american beauty.

#53842 - 09/22/04 11:37 PM Re: Jane says...
Tygerchild
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, US

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerCat:
I can't believe they actually emphasized the wearability and affordability of the clothes in Jane, considering they're anything but.
It's even worse than it used to be. Now they have the cheek to feature, say, a Dolce & Gabanna dress sliding off a model, and in the description, it will say:

"Dress, Dolce & Gabanna, Price upon request."

Yeah. THAT'S affordable.

And I have to ask what was up with the self-righteous boob showing they were doing in every issue a year or two ago? It was like, okay there's a skinny girl wearing expensive clothes badly and WHOA CHECK OUT HER BODACIOUSLY TINY TATAS AND HUGE NIPPLES! It was ludicrous.

#53843 - 09/30/04 12:00 PM Re: Jane says...
Katie Catastrophe
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: East Coast USA

I want to play! Hello, my name is Mittens and I love to hate JANE magazine.

Okay, as far as the September issue goes I agree with everything Bear said and want to add this gem from Jane's editor's note:

"Do me a favor? If you shop from Dress (page 79) or the rest of the mag, can you mention to them where you saw it? Then advertisers will know how responsive you are even though you aren't dorky women's-mag robots who tear a page out, take it to a store and beg, 'Make me look exactly like this.'"

Arrrrgh! Who is she kidding? Page 79 features a $1,850 bag and a $1,140 coat with the cheapest item being a $68 blazer from the Gap. Obviously JANE's new "subversive" format is a desperate attempt to woo big ticket advertisers so the magazine can stop printing ads for cigarettes and The National Guard. And maybe I can't blame them for trying...

Does anyone else find it a bit rich that JANE engages in so much other-magazine bashing? Dorky women's-mag robots? Feh.

#53844 - 09/30/04 01:50 PM Re: Jane says...
Pflaume
Ching Shih

The latest issue of Bust magazine has an article on the downfall of Sassy, in case anyone wants to remember better days.
#53845 - 09/30/04 06:58 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Quote:
Why can't Jane just accept that it's a mainstream magazine and stop pretending that it's cooler than all the things it writes about and features? It wouldn't be particularly good then, but it probably wouldn't be so intensely irritating.
Bear--Yes! This needs to go in a letter to the Jane editor! I think you've nailed it exactly. Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your rant above. The September issue is history to me now, so that is why I couldn't help you tear it apart!

Quote:
The latest issue of Bust magazine has an article on the downfall of Sassy, in case anyone wants to remember better days.
I am too old to have been a part of the Sassy crowd, but I have to say that the "I Miss Sassy" club grates on my nerves almost as much as Jane's monthly editor's letter. Sorry to all you Sassy devotees. But really...do you want Sassy back?

I want a new magazine entirely. I don't want Jane at 15, Jane at 20, Jane at 30, or even Jane at 40 anymore.

Honestly, I read the current issue, and put it straight away into the recycling pile. Were you to quiz me on the contents, I'd fail miserably. I couldn't even tell you which celebrity beauty graced its cover.

#53846 - 10/02/04 09:27 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Quote:
Bear--Yes! This needs to go in a letter to the Jane editor!
Believe me, back when I still read Jane, I sent them letters to that effect all the time. Apparently they ignore them, and the only critical letters they print are from nutjobs. They never print any valid criticism, because they can't handle criticism, which is part of why they suck.
 Quote:
But really...do you want Sassy back?
Well, probably not, because I'm 33 now and wouldn't relate to it. But I do think Sassy was a much better magazine than Jane is, and I think that's at the heart of the Sassy nostalgia. I didn't really expect that Jane would be Sassy for adults, but I did think it would be better than the other mainstream women's magazines, and it isn't. In my opinion, it's much worse, and I don't even like any of the others. It was just a big letdown, because I expected so much more.

It's probably impossible to have a really good mainstream women's magazine, because of the advertiser tyranny, but Jane, for all its arrogance, isn't even trying to hurdle the drastically lowered bar, much less the higher one that Sassy did. Jane just keeps telling us how great it is without doing anything to back that statement up. It's the George W. Bush of magazines.

#53847 - 10/05/04 07:04 PM Re: Jane says...
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

Quote:
It's the George W. Bush of magazines.
I've never read Jane, and you've just assured that I never will! I thank you for sparing at least an hour of my time. \:\)

#53848 - 10/06/04 08:35 AM Re: Jane says...
Tygerchild
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, US

I do not get the Sassy allure. Perhaps it's because I got a subscription to Seventeen when I was 15, and I never thought of buying any other magazines when I had one coming to my house free for two years. I think I still have the first Cameron Diaz cover issue somewhere. You know, back when she was a fresh-faced model and not so much Bride of Joker.

But anyway, if Sassy was anything like Jane, I probably wouldn't have liked it at all. Anyone with the Sassy love able to set me straight?

#53849 - 10/06/04 09:24 AM Re: Jane says...
Albacore
Ching Shih

Loc: Ottawa

Sassy was not very much like Jane. I read Seventeen starting at age 12, but by 15 had moved on to Glamour, which was pretty good back then (with Ruth Whitney at the helm). Sassy overlapped both these stages - I loved the "make it yourself" items, I loved the reader-produced issues, I loved the "sountrack to this issue" item. Even the fashion spreads seemed to recognize that not all the readers wanted to look the same. The staff personalities really came through, which made it feel like the magazine could have been put together by your friends, only friends with access to rock stars to interview. Yes, Jane herself still came off a little self-important, but the overall package was miles above Seventeen and YM, the other two main teen rags of the time.

I found a bunch of old issue in my parents' basement recently. Wonder what they'd fetch on eBay?

#53850 - 10/06/04 10:33 AM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Sassy was also extremely funny, in my opinion, and the only teen magazine to really address political issues (it's where I learned what the first Iraq war was all about). It also had an informed liberal slant, which was hard to find in any other mainstream mag back then (or now!). They also interviewed a lot of interesting musicians/actors who were not very popular by mainstream standards, and they didn't engage in blatant, generalized celebrity worship. It was a very different magazine from Seventeen.

To try to keep this on topic, let me add that the main philosophical difference between Sassy and Jane, in my opinion, is that Sassy really tried to be better than the other magazines out there. I don't think Jane is really trying, although they have coasted a lot on Sassy's fumes.
 Quote:
Glamour, which was pretty good back then (with Ruth Whitney at the helm).
I agree!

#53851 - 10/18/04 09:56 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Michigan

The other day I received a copy of Jane in the mail. I thought this was odd since I let my subscription lapse three years ago when I read an article about Colombian revolutionaries in which the author said, "I shit you not," when describing some atrocity. I can't remember the atrocity, as I stymied over the phrase. I couldn't get over the stupidity of researching a topic, interviewing people, and then wrecking it with a phrase that I wouldn't use when describing something to friends after many cocktails.

So the next day, there were two more issues in the mailbox. Two back issues from the month before and the month before that.

The day after that, the next month's issue came.

Two days later I received a postcard from a marketing firm congratulating me on opening my new business, and as a boon for me, they're sending me a free subscription to Jane. Any marketing company that would ally itself with Jane shows such horrible judgment, they'll never get my business. Pandering morons!

#53852 - 10/23/04 06:36 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Quote:
I couldn't get over the stupidity of researching a topic, interviewing people, and then wrecking it with a phrase that I wouldn't use when describing something to friends after many cocktails.
skwirl, I had a similar reaction to Jane back when I used to subscribe. They constantly used the word "booming" as a synonym for "having sex," and "action" in place of "genitals." Now, I'm no prude, especially when it comes to the written word, but terms like these tend to stop being amusing by the thousandth time you hear them. I felt like the magazine was written by a bunch of junior high students.

In other news, I read the Bust article about the end of Sassy magazine, and Jane Pratt was not interviewed for it. She now seems to be trying to distance herself from Sassy. Also, I seem to recall that she once made a disparaging remark about people who loved Sassy but were disappointed in Jane. I think she knows her current magazine doesn't live up to the standards of her previous one and is trying to dodge the comparisons as much as possible. Wouldn't it be more constructive to try to improve the quality of Jane so she can be unconditionally proud of it?

#53853 - 10/25/04 10:26 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

Quote:
Wouldn't it be more constructive to try to improve the quality of Jane so she can be unconditionally proud of it?
Sure, but why bother when you can get your ad revenue and freebies from designers, plus adoration from boozy sycophants without having to break a sweat? Making a quality, thought-provoking, cutting edge product is hard work. She got a lot of praise for being a wunderkind, and let's face it, expectations were a lot lower. Who expected Sassy to be cool? The bar is a lot higher, and her budget is a lot higher too. She can afford to surround herself with people who will tell her that she's still turning out a relevant product.

Feh, I say. FEH!

#53854 - 10/27/04 11:02 PM Re: Jane says...
superblondgirl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: connecticut

This is funny - I was reading the November Jane at the gym today. I have to say, I kind of enjoy it, in a weird way... like the whole "what your friends would write about" or whatever is crap, but there's something compulsively weirdly interesting about it. Maybe that it's (correction: SHE'S) just so incredibly freakishly self-serving and blatant about how much she loves herself? I don't know, but every time I read it, I get so sucked into the weirdness.
#53855 - 10/31/04 12:44 PM Re: Jane says...
cocojosie
Ching Shih

Loc: Stockholm/Oxford

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:

First of all - snerk. Yes, it would feel like that, if my friends were egomaniacal name-dropping arseholes who aren't vaguely as hip as they think they are. And second of all - that's the concept? Really? Because I thought it was "a fucked up vanity project with a couple of okay articles masquerading as a a beauty/fashion/lifestyle magazine that feels like it was written by people purely to show the less cool how cool they could be."
Bear, you rock. You just rock.

#53856 - 11/20/04 08:40 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

So sad:

As I previously mentioned, I started receiving a subscription to Jane as a premium from a marketing company. I get an issue, leaf through it, then I put it on the counter of my store with a big "FREE" sticker on it.

I now have a pile of them. No one has taken any of them, in spite of the fact that they are all completely current when they are set out, and look like they've never been read.

I mean, FREE!

#53857 - 11/27/04 11:26 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

skwirl, I've heard Jane's circulation numbers are way down, so I guess the general public is finally catching on to its crappiness--which would explain why no one wants your free copies. Can it really be possible the whole thing will go down in flames soon? Here's hoping.
#53858 - 07/26/05 10:43 AM Re: Jane says...
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I never really read Jane with any great regularity, but thought some of you might like to know that Jane Pratt is stepping down as editor-in-chief of the magazine.
#53859 - 08/03/05 09:10 PM Re: Jane says...
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Did anyone catch the latest editor's letter? Jane explains that she has Pam on the cover so much because she statistically sells better. What up with that? Then, she gives herself a high-five for being right on the Michael Jackson verdict because she believed he was innocent.
#53860 - 08/04/05 09:20 AM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

I read the editor's letter in the store. My favorite part was when she said (paraphrasing), "We have to put someone popular on the cover to sell issues . . . but of course, our readers know that what's inside the magazine is totally subversive!" Could she pat herself on the back more? And again, she can keep saying it, but that won't make it true.
#53861 - 12/21/05 01:09 PM Re: Jane says...
CheshireCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL USA

I've been missing this thread, because I really enjoy Bitch's Jane Petty Criticism Corner and this is a nice supplement to it. But, with Jane being kicked upstairs, does this mean no more Petty Criticism Corner? No!
#83659 - 07/10/07 08:11 AM Re: Jane says... [Re: CheshireCat]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Well, I guess we won't have Jane to kick around anymore.
#83683 - 07/12/07 11:43 AM Re: Jane says... [Re: GingerCat]
Peppermint
Ching Shih

Hmm, maybe I should have bought an issue sometime in the last few years, if only to confirm that I still hated it.

Well, I wish the staff the best . . . and I can't think of anything else to say. It's been so long since Jane had any relevance to me.

Page all of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: