Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53801 - 07/15/02 01:33 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Has anyone else noticed that the current issue of Jane has more than enough articles/references to pregnancy, marriage and family? Yuk. Pammy on pregnancy....bleh. Jane asking about prenuptial agreements...ick. And so on. Sigh.
#53802 - 08/12/02 11:34 PM Re: Jane says...
DreadPirate
Ching Shih

Loc: Lanham, MD, U.S.A.

Jane gets mentioned in this week's The Onion. I thought it was amusing:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3828/magazine_announces.html

[This message has been edited by DreadPirate (edited August 13, 2002).]

#53803 - 09/15/02 10:04 AM Re: Jane says...
lakemeader
Gráinne ni Mhaille

here's the thing:
SASSY was uber cool. i couldn't even describe its coolness.
JANE is just too loud.

#53804 - 09/17/02 07:15 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

What's up with that Madonna photo on the cover of the current issue? wonders Kivrin, shaking her head.
Now, I like the idea of Madonna on the cover. She's my age. (She's Jane's age.) She's a Mom. I'm a Mom. (Jane's a Mom-to-be.) But, it's a bit contrived...and such an unflattering photo!

#53805 - 11/12/02 02:35 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Okay, it's been out for a couple of weeks now, so this is a bit late, but did anyone else see Jane's editor's letter in this month's issue? Jesus Christ, someone get that woman a good therapist! If you didn't see it, she spends half of going on about how someone on the Jane forums said that she (Jane) was ugly, and how once that would have really bothered her, but now it doesn't, nuh huh, no way. Fucking hell, woman, grow up. And don't put a frigging picture of yourself on every second page of the magazine if you don't expect people to comment on them once in a while.

She also uses valuable paper by saying how she was asked to be a judge on American Idol, but she said no, and of course she's glad she said no, because why would she want to be famous? (Maybe naming a magazine after yourself is enough for her). Then she asks readers to go the forums and vote on whether her sad fiance is cute or not....oh God. That magazine is just getting embarrassing to read.

#53806 - 11/12/02 03:41 PM Re: Jane says...
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

After learning of Ms. Pratt's bout with Irritable Bowel Syndrome somewhere in the middle of their "health" pages, I blanked out for the rest of the issue. There are some things you can never un-think.
#53807 - 12/04/02 10:46 AM Re: Jane says...
totallunachick
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.

Did anyone else read the Faith Hill interview? I work in a bookstore, so I'm not forced to hand over money for mag crapola. I read the interview in the breakroom and couldn't help noticing that what's-her-name really did not like Ms. Hill. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the singer, but the interview seemed really weighted to make her look stupid, bitchy and vague.
#53808 - 01/16/03 07:15 PM Re: Jane says...
MoiFilmNoir
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: California

Quote:
Originally posted by totallunachick:
Did anyone else read the Faith Hill interview? I work in a bookstore, so I'm not forced to hand over money for mag crapola. I read the interview in the breakroom and couldn't help noticing that what's-her-name really did not like Ms. Hill. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the singer, but the interview seemed really weighted to make her look stupid, bitchy and vague.
Yup, I read it and I thought it was a total hatchet job. Why have Faith Hill on the cover of Jane (and WTF was her publicist thinking to okay that move?) just to trash her? I doubt Faith Hill fans are in the Jane demographic anyway.

I've subscribed to Jane for a year now. I didn't read Sassy and have no knowledge of the early Jane, so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't know what made me pick up the first issue but when I did I thought it was the bomb. So witty! So irreverant! So in-your-face! But recent developments, like Pammy's column and other choices that displayed questionable judgement, have left me a little cold. I'll stick with it, but I do so with little passion.

#53809 - 03/25/03 09:30 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Jaysus. Has anyone else seen 'Jane's Diary' in the current issue? Jane herself is out on maternity leave, so of course, the page is devoted to - and I swear I am not making this up - her co-workers gushing about how much they miss her! It's insane! Also, the letters page features a missive from one of La Pratt's neighbours, complaining about the state of the house (which is apparently covered in graffiti). Pratt's partner responds in a snitty little rant about he and his demented egomaniac wife (except strangely he doesn't call her that) have just had a child - which the neighbour presumably doesn't know about as he or she "hasn't sent a gift". It's just so fucking tragic - who do they think likes this stuff?

And yet, somehow, I keep buying it, if only to get riled up at how ridiculous it is. The thing that really amuses me/annoys me is the fact that they only print derogatory letters from crazy right-wingers ranting on about how evil and communist Jane is, rather than ones from cool girls who find the magazine's self-indulgence pathetic and don't think it's feminist and lefty enough. Do they really think we who are already feminists and who read good books and listen to Le Tigre and wear Built By Wendy clothes and all that - the sort of thing they try and make all their readers aspire to - actually think they're cool rather than just tragic?

#53810 - 03/25/03 06:48 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Hee! Bear--the best part of reading 'Jane's Diary' is following it up by reading your rant about it. As I was reading those insipid butt-kissing comments from Jane's staff, I was thinking gleefully, "Oh yeah, Bear is going to love this stuff!"
Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: