Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#53821 - 07/24/03 01:08 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Absolutely!
#53822 - 07/24/03 06:51 PM Re: Jane says...
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I'm going to start a twelve-step program to get you all off Jane.

Seriously, I went cold turkey years ago and am much happier for it.

#53823 - 07/24/03 07:06 PM Re: Jane says...
Selena
Ching Shih

Loc: Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Well, I have to say I got off Jane about a year and a half ago when I realized I had to start saving money to buy/move into our new house and that something had to go. It worked for me. And now that I haven't been buying it for a while, it's very easy to keep not buying it. I must admit that when I saw the latest issue with Pam on the cover at the grocery store, I thought of y'all (and your probable reaction) and smiled to myself.
#53824 - 08/16/03 09:53 AM Re: Jane says...
Isabel Archer
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham Alabama

So did you see the most recent issue in which Jane Pratt disses SEVERAL of the celebrities featured in the mag in her editor's note?

She's got a serious pathology goin' on.

#53825 - 08/22/03 05:06 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Postpartum psychosis perhaps? She also slammed her own magazine's layout/articles/photos pretty hard. Weird as hell. Don't even get me started on Pammie's whiney leave-me-alone-paparazzi rant. Who really cares? And Stephanie Trong pole-dancing? Ick. Ick. Ick.

I'm done with it. Really. I swear an oath on Chicklit right now to never purchase another Jane.

One positive thing from the issue:
The mention in Reviews of two new books which are probably both very good and worth noting--Vendela Vida's And Now You Can Go and Heidi Julavit's The Effect of Living Backwards.

But they were already on my TBR list.

#53826 - 08/23/03 11:20 AM Re: Jane says...
Isabel Archer
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham Alabama

Well, the most recent Pammy nonsense is this hand-written scrawl which she faxed in. They published it handwritten, as is. Why did they even publish that!? It wasn't even legible!
#53827 - 09/09/03 01:04 PM Re: Jane says...
Sweet Potato
Ching Shih

Loc: Germany

I picked up my first issue last week just because it looked like a nice bubblegum vacation/poolside read. I had never read Jane before.

I had this awful semi-disgusted feeling when reading through. Until I just read the first post in this thread about what the actual intention of this magazine was supposed to be, I thought it was a magazine written by a bunch of spoiled brats who have grown up in some 90210-style clique. There is just this feeling that everything is written with some conscious "I am so damn SNARKY!" attitude, and it seems so phony to me.

So I was relieved upon reading this thread that I am not alone.

What is the deal with this Pammie? I don't get it. Who is it? I chucked my magazine already so I can't re-examine for some of the details mentioned here.

#53828 - 11/11/03 08:12 AM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Bump!
#53829 - 11/11/03 12:22 PM Re: Jane says...
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Every month it shows up, every month I compose a new rant in my head while reading it, and every month the ire dissipates before I make it back to the computer to post. That's progress, right?

The only thing currently sticking in my head was Pam Anderson's column about how great gays are. Well, boy gays are, since she made no mention at all about gay girls, because they're obviously not nearly as faaaaabulous. Gah.

#53830 - 11/11/03 12:28 PM Re: Jane says...
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hee, Masha, me too! And yeah, Pam's stupid column really pissed me off too. "I might as well be gay", eh? But not a lesbian, of course! No, because "gay" automatically means "stereotypical fabulous gay man".

Ugh. But! Note I was able to go to my magazine rack and check the exact title of Pammie's latest nonsense before posting. The shame, the shame.

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: