Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#53841 - 09/22/04 09:09 PM Re: Jane says...
BellaStella
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

Yes, I am like a lot of you out there who have a love-hate relatiionship with Jane. I just signed up tonight for the chicklit forums and am finding A LOT of my interests being discussed here so I am so joyous/joyful?.. nevermind, happy, because of that.
Ironically, my boyfriend bought me the september issue of Jane tonight, but I already had it...so I have two issues now...what should I do with it? any suggestions? hehe. burn it? or frame it? I'm so confused. Do I like Jane or do I hate them? i dunno....i read it every month, but I also like to join in on Jane bashing.
anyways one more thing:
It said somewhere that Jane describes itself as a magazine written by your best friends? Yeah, maybe if you were best friends with that chick from american beauty.

#53842 - 09/22/04 11:37 PM Re: Jane says...
Tygerchild
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, US

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerCat:
I can't believe they actually emphasized the wearability and affordability of the clothes in Jane, considering they're anything but.
It's even worse than it used to be. Now they have the cheek to feature, say, a Dolce & Gabanna dress sliding off a model, and in the description, it will say:

"Dress, Dolce & Gabanna, Price upon request."

Yeah. THAT'S affordable.

And I have to ask what was up with the self-righteous boob showing they were doing in every issue a year or two ago? It was like, okay there's a skinny girl wearing expensive clothes badly and WHOA CHECK OUT HER BODACIOUSLY TINY TATAS AND HUGE NIPPLES! It was ludicrous.

#53843 - 09/30/04 12:00 PM Re: Jane says...
Katie Catastrophe
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: East Coast USA

I want to play! Hello, my name is Mittens and I love to hate JANE magazine.

Okay, as far as the September issue goes I agree with everything Bear said and want to add this gem from Jane's editor's note:

"Do me a favor? If you shop from Dress (page 79) or the rest of the mag, can you mention to them where you saw it? Then advertisers will know how responsive you are even though you aren't dorky women's-mag robots who tear a page out, take it to a store and beg, 'Make me look exactly like this.'"

Arrrrgh! Who is she kidding? Page 79 features a $1,850 bag and a $1,140 coat with the cheapest item being a $68 blazer from the Gap. Obviously JANE's new "subversive" format is a desperate attempt to woo big ticket advertisers so the magazine can stop printing ads for cigarettes and The National Guard. And maybe I can't blame them for trying...

Does anyone else find it a bit rich that JANE engages in so much other-magazine bashing? Dorky women's-mag robots? Feh.

#53844 - 09/30/04 01:50 PM Re: Jane says...
Pflaume
Ching Shih

The latest issue of Bust magazine has an article on the downfall of Sassy, in case anyone wants to remember better days.
#53845 - 09/30/04 06:58 PM Re: Jane says...
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Quote:
Why can't Jane just accept that it's a mainstream magazine and stop pretending that it's cooler than all the things it writes about and features? It wouldn't be particularly good then, but it probably wouldn't be so intensely irritating.
Bear--Yes! This needs to go in a letter to the Jane editor! I think you've nailed it exactly. Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your rant above. The September issue is history to me now, so that is why I couldn't help you tear it apart!

Quote:
The latest issue of Bust magazine has an article on the downfall of Sassy, in case anyone wants to remember better days.
I am too old to have been a part of the Sassy crowd, but I have to say that the "I Miss Sassy" club grates on my nerves almost as much as Jane's monthly editor's letter. Sorry to all you Sassy devotees. But really...do you want Sassy back?

I want a new magazine entirely. I don't want Jane at 15, Jane at 20, Jane at 30, or even Jane at 40 anymore.

Honestly, I read the current issue, and put it straight away into the recycling pile. Were you to quiz me on the contents, I'd fail miserably. I couldn't even tell you which celebrity beauty graced its cover.

#53846 - 10/02/04 09:27 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Quote:
Bear--Yes! This needs to go in a letter to the Jane editor!
Believe me, back when I still read Jane, I sent them letters to that effect all the time. Apparently they ignore them, and the only critical letters they print are from nutjobs. They never print any valid criticism, because they can't handle criticism, which is part of why they suck.
 Quote:
But really...do you want Sassy back?
Well, probably not, because I'm 33 now and wouldn't relate to it. But I do think Sassy was a much better magazine than Jane is, and I think that's at the heart of the Sassy nostalgia. I didn't really expect that Jane would be Sassy for adults, but I did think it would be better than the other mainstream women's magazines, and it isn't. In my opinion, it's much worse, and I don't even like any of the others. It was just a big letdown, because I expected so much more.

It's probably impossible to have a really good mainstream women's magazine, because of the advertiser tyranny, but Jane, for all its arrogance, isn't even trying to hurdle the drastically lowered bar, much less the higher one that Sassy did. Jane just keeps telling us how great it is without doing anything to back that statement up. It's the George W. Bush of magazines.

#53847 - 10/05/04 07:04 PM Re: Jane says...
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerCat:
It's the George W. Bush of magazines.
I've never read Jane, and you've just assured that I never will! I thank you for sparing at least an hour of my time. \:\)

#53848 - 10/06/04 08:35 AM Re: Jane says...
Tygerchild
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, US

I do not get the Sassy allure. Perhaps it's because I got a subscription to Seventeen when I was 15, and I never thought of buying any other magazines when I had one coming to my house free for two years. I think I still have the first Cameron Diaz cover issue somewhere. You know, back when she was a fresh-faced model and not so much Bride of Joker.

But anyway, if Sassy was anything like Jane, I probably wouldn't have liked it at all. Anyone with the Sassy love able to set me straight?

#53849 - 10/06/04 09:24 AM Re: Jane says...
Albacore
Ching Shih

Loc: Ottawa

Sassy was not very much like Jane. I read Seventeen starting at age 12, but by 15 had moved on to Glamour, which was pretty good back then (with Ruth Whitney at the helm). Sassy overlapped both these stages - I loved the "make it yourself" items, I loved the reader-produced issues, I loved the "sountrack to this issue" item. Even the fashion spreads seemed to recognize that not all the readers wanted to look the same. The staff personalities really came through, which made it feel like the magazine could have been put together by your friends, only friends with access to rock stars to interview. Yes, Jane herself still came off a little self-important, but the overall package was miles above Seventeen and YM, the other two main teen rags of the time.

I found a bunch of old issue in my parents' basement recently. Wonder what they'd fetch on eBay?

#53850 - 10/06/04 10:33 AM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Sassy was also extremely funny, in my opinion, and the only teen magazine to really address political issues (it's where I learned what the first Iraq war was all about). It also had an informed liberal slant, which was hard to find in any other mainstream mag back then (or now!). They also interviewed a lot of interesting musicians/actors who were not very popular by mainstream standards, and they didn't engage in blatant, generalized celebrity worship. It was a very different magazine from Seventeen.

To try to keep this on topic, let me add that the main philosophical difference between Sassy and Jane, in my opinion, is that Sassy really tried to be better than the other magazines out there. I don't think Jane is really trying, although they have coasted a lot on Sassy's fumes.
 Quote:
Glamour, which was pretty good back then (with Ruth Whitney at the helm).
I agree!

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: