Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#53851 - 10/18/04 09:56 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Michigan

The other day I received a copy of Jane in the mail. I thought this was odd since I let my subscription lapse three years ago when I read an article about Colombian revolutionaries in which the author said, "I shit you not," when describing some atrocity. I can't remember the atrocity, as I stymied over the phrase. I couldn't get over the stupidity of researching a topic, interviewing people, and then wrecking it with a phrase that I wouldn't use when describing something to friends after many cocktails.

So the next day, there were two more issues in the mailbox. Two back issues from the month before and the month before that.

The day after that, the next month's issue came.

Two days later I received a postcard from a marketing firm congratulating me on opening my new business, and as a boon for me, they're sending me a free subscription to Jane. Any marketing company that would ally itself with Jane shows such horrible judgment, they'll never get my business. Pandering morons!

#53852 - 10/23/04 06:36 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Quote:
I couldn't get over the stupidity of researching a topic, interviewing people, and then wrecking it with a phrase that I wouldn't use when describing something to friends after many cocktails.
skwirl, I had a similar reaction to Jane back when I used to subscribe. They constantly used the word "booming" as a synonym for "having sex," and "action" in place of "genitals." Now, I'm no prude, especially when it comes to the written word, but terms like these tend to stop being amusing by the thousandth time you hear them. I felt like the magazine was written by a bunch of junior high students.

In other news, I read the Bust article about the end of Sassy magazine, and Jane Pratt was not interviewed for it. She now seems to be trying to distance herself from Sassy. Also, I seem to recall that she once made a disparaging remark about people who loved Sassy but were disappointed in Jane. I think she knows her current magazine doesn't live up to the standards of her previous one and is trying to dodge the comparisons as much as possible. Wouldn't it be more constructive to try to improve the quality of Jane so she can be unconditionally proud of it?

#53853 - 10/25/04 10:26 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerCat:
Wouldn't it be more constructive to try to improve the quality of Jane so she can be unconditionally proud of it?
Sure, but why bother when you can get your ad revenue and freebies from designers, plus adoration from boozy sycophants without having to break a sweat? Making a quality, thought-provoking, cutting edge product is hard work. She got a lot of praise for being a wunderkind, and let's face it, expectations were a lot lower. Who expected Sassy to be cool? The bar is a lot higher, and her budget is a lot higher too. She can afford to surround herself with people who will tell her that she's still turning out a relevant product.

Feh, I say. FEH!

#53854 - 10/27/04 11:02 PM Re: Jane says...
superblondgirl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: connecticut

This is funny - I was reading the November Jane at the gym today. I have to say, I kind of enjoy it, in a weird way... like the whole "what your friends would write about" or whatever is crap, but there's something compulsively weirdly interesting about it. Maybe that it's (correction: SHE'S) just so incredibly freakishly self-serving and blatant about how much she loves herself? I don't know, but every time I read it, I get so sucked into the weirdness.
#53855 - 10/31/04 12:44 PM Re: Jane says...
cocojosie
Ching Shih

Loc: Stockholm/Oxford

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:

First of all - snerk. Yes, it would feel like that, if my friends were egomaniacal name-dropping arseholes who aren't vaguely as hip as they think they are. And second of all - that's the concept? Really? Because I thought it was "a fucked up vanity project with a couple of okay articles masquerading as a a beauty/fashion/lifestyle magazine that feels like it was written by people purely to show the less cool how cool they could be."
Bear, you rock. You just rock.

#53856 - 11/20/04 08:40 PM Re: Jane says...
skwirl
Ching Shih

So sad:

As I previously mentioned, I started receiving a subscription to Jane as a premium from a marketing company. I get an issue, leaf through it, then I put it on the counter of my store with a big "FREE" sticker on it.

I now have a pile of them. No one has taken any of them, in spite of the fact that they are all completely current when they are set out, and look like they've never been read.

I mean, FREE!

#53857 - 11/27/04 11:26 PM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

skwirl, I've heard Jane's circulation numbers are way down, so I guess the general public is finally catching on to its crappiness--which would explain why no one wants your free copies. Can it really be possible the whole thing will go down in flames soon? Here's hoping.
#53858 - 07/26/05 10:43 AM Re: Jane says...
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I never really read Jane with any great regularity, but thought some of you might like to know that Jane Pratt is stepping down as editor-in-chief of the magazine.
#53859 - 08/03/05 09:10 PM Re: Jane says...
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Did anyone catch the latest editor's letter? Jane explains that she has Pam on the cover so much because she statistically sells better. What up with that? Then, she gives herself a high-five for being right on the Michael Jackson verdict because she believed he was innocent.
#53860 - 08/04/05 09:20 AM Re: Jane says...
GingerCat
Ching Shih

I read the editor's letter in the store. My favorite part was when she said (paraphrasing), "We have to put someone popular on the cover to sell issues . . . but of course, our readers know that what's inside the magazine is totally subversive!" Could she pat herself on the back more? And again, she can keep saying it, but that won't make it true.
Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: