Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

*bumping fo ClairyH*
#84798 - 11/06/07 05:30 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: deborah]
ClairyH

Loc: United Kingdom

(Am still getting to know this forum!!)

I came across this really fantastic online Blog recently - I was wondering if any of you have ever seen it?

The reason is, I am dying to know more about this woman - she calls herself Elisabeth and her blog is written so delightfully! I am addicted!

Check it out and see what you think...

http://wineglasslogistics.blogspot.com/

#85104 - 12/14/07 02:15 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: ClairyH]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I am looking for a web service, and I think that if it exists one of you web-savvy people is going to know about it.

Basically, I want a movie showtimes website which, when you input the movie you want and your geographic location, will not just say "Movie not playing in your area" but rather, will tell you where the closest theater is.

My problem is I live in Kalamazoo, and I want to see Juno, but by no stretch of the imagination does Kalamazoo meet the criteria of the usual "limited release" cities. Still, if I knew the movie was playing in Battle Creek or Grand Rapids or Royal Oak or Ann Arbor or wherever, I might take the time to drive there and see it. But it gets tiring to type all those cities into the searches.

I want a website which says "Closest theater--30 miles" or "80 miles" or "1254 miles" or whatever, just so I know what I'm dealing with. Does anybody know of one?

#85115 - 12/15/07 03:31 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Erin W]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Erin W, have you tried Rotten Tomatoes or Fandango? Fandango will list the theaters closest to your zip code. Oh, I can't wait to see Juno!
#85118 - 12/16/07 01:49 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Kivrin]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

Thanks for the suggestions, Kivrin, but they both do just what it is that bugs me. They will list all the movies which are, in fact, playing in my zip code, but if the movie I want is not playing in that specific zip code, it will just say "Not playing in your area" as opposed to telling me where the movie is playing. I want to know how far I am from the movie I want to see so that I can decide if it's worth the drive.

Otherwise, I just end up waiting...waiting...waiting for the DVD release. (I will be in Chicago during New Years' week...I guess I can try to see Juno while I'm there!)

#85120 - 12/16/07 04:10 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Erin W]
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

Erin W,

(Sorry, this is veering off-topic! Will continue in movie thread...)
You can try looking on Juno's website: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/juno

#85188 - 12/30/07 05:17 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: sophietje]
kuhliloach
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Northridge, California

I just discovered this marvellous collection of feminist blog posts,
The Carnival of Feminists
Each carnival is hosted by a different feminist blog, and bloggers send submissions to the host. The topics are extremely diverse and interesting, and there are fewer dead links than I expected. It's a great way to discover new blogs.

#85195 - 12/30/07 11:07 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: kuhliloach]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Feminist Carnival reminds me of a site that I enjoy a lot called Feminist SF-the Blog!.
I've also been really having fun reading Mamapop. Perfect for when you are in the mood for celebrity gossip and the pop-culture related musings of very funny women!

#85641 - 02/27/08 09:36 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

A friend of mine just told me about an awesome website called DailyLit. You subscribe to a book and they e-mail you 1,000-word sections on a regular basis (you get to pick between daily, on weekdays, or MWF). As long as the book is in the public domain the service is free. More contemporary books have a fee involved. I just signed up to get Wuthering Heights e-mailed to me in 165 installments.

http://www.dailylit.com/

#85647 - 02/27/08 11:41 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

I've recently discovered http://www.swaptree.com. You list a bunch of books (and/or CDs, DVDs, video games) that you have to trade and a bunch that you want, and then the site matches you up with other people who want what you have and have what you want. It even can arrange 3-way swaps, which is awesome! Then when it matches you up, you mail out your thing and you get what you want in the mail. It's free too, except for paying for postage! Sadly, only USA residents can use it so far, but I bet they'll be making the jump to Canada pretty soon.
Page 11 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: