Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#54097 - 05/02/04 06:47 PM Re: Bitch magazine
anna_karina
Ching Shih

I agree with the statements that Flinders was a lot more skilled in her arguments than I took her for initially. It was just that while reading her interview, she reminded me so much of certain people who I've been taught by or had to sit and listen to for long periods of time (for example, an uncle who was practically a member of the N.R.A. and would lecture us about everything, saying he was in a band in high school, was in Vietnam, was a bodyguard, gave a "tough talking-to" to Flavor Flav, etc.), and a couple of aunts I have who are very intelligent and worldly, but can cut off people's sentences and feel that their experiences and intelligence makes them more superior to others. Maybe Flinders isn't exactly like this in her personal life, but she still bothered me on a personal level.

I am only 21, so I may not have been around in the second wave era of feminism. And I know what I said was harsh and quickly said, but I still felt uncomfortable reading the interview. Maybe it is a fact of "If the reader is already pretty much the person she wants to be, at least in this area, then it's just food for thought." I can't explain everything that bothered me about the piece, but thank you for all of your oppositions to what I said intitally, as it made for a great argument.

#54098 - 05/03/04 12:07 PM Re: Bitch magazine
jadeskirt
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Montreal

I'm another one who enjoys reading Bitch. Like Marya said, when I read it I don't feel so alone. Bitch has introduced me to many artists, writers and points of view that I don't often hear about anywhere else. It's not perfect, but it's far superior to most of the stuff out there. I found the Flinders interview very interesting and thought-provoking. I share your irritation with the type of attitude you described, anna_karina, but I didn't really get that impression from Flinders. After reading your comments, I'd like to read it again.
#54099 - 05/05/04 07:49 PM Re: Bitch magazine
Marla Singer
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I still buy Bitch but like others here, I don't expect to agree with everything in the magazine. Like jadeskirt wrote, it's just better than the other similarly themed stuff out there.

I was a longtime Bust subscriber but I'm afraid the Kelly Osbourne issue was the final straw. I've moved past it.

#54100 - 05/05/04 11:08 PM Re: Bitch magazine
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

I just read the Flinders interview, and I wasn't crazy about it. I think it was the emphasis on religion and spirituality, and right now those aren't working for me. Oh well.

I do love Bitch, though, because there have been many issues where I've flipped through and thought, "If I ran a magazine, these are the sorts of things it would talk about!" And today on the bus, when I pulled it out of my bag, the woman next to me said it was one of her favorite magazines.

#54101 - 06/11/04 01:50 PM Re: Bitch magazine
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Quote:
Originally posted by kari:
I like the premise and I read most of the magazine cover to cover, but I end up skimming a lot of the longer articles. They remind me of high school thesis papers. I don't know why, they're certainly well written, but I just can't seem to plough through them.

#54102 - 06/11/04 02:04 PM Re: Bitch magazine
betso26
Ching Shih

I agree mostly with this statement. (sorry about the 2 seperate posts - had a technical hiccup) My sister gave me a subscription to Bitch a few years ago and while I do enjoy it, it sometimes feels like an assignment for me to read the whole thing. A lot of times it ends up half read or even unread - kind of like the Atlantic Monthly, and it kind of makes me feel a little guilty.

It's not that I don't want to read it or don't like it, it is just sometimes too much of a commitment, especally when I have 5 books in progress and at least 15 or 20 other subscriptions - not to mention the time spent in online forums like this. Oh yeah, and working full time.

I would welcome more short features or sections like the Bitch List to break it up, but I know it is ultimately up to the editor, and coming from the world of journalism and publishing myself, I can appreciate staying true to the form.

I was wondering, though, has anybody else had any problems delivery-wise with Bitch? It seems like for a while it stopped coming, or I missed months - very sporadic. Maybe it's just me.

#54103 - 06/11/04 02:22 PM Re: Bitch magazine
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I think Bitch is a quarterly magazine, so it only comes every three months. I miss issues sometimes, same as I do for Bust. I don't think it's their fault though, I believe we have a fundie in the post office who is tossing the issues. No, really. It's been a problem for a long time, and the post office is apparently unwilling to pursue this (it's a felony to tamper with mail). They don't seem to care if a bunch of left-wing radical bitch feminists don't get their evil magazines. (Which is another rant entirely...)

I continue to subscribe because I always get something out of it. It may not speak to me all the time, but there's always food for good thought. It's still better than most of what's out there. And yes, sometimes the articles get a bit long. But there aren't very many other places where I can get anything that in depth on these subjects, so as long as I can read them in my commute (twenty minutes on the bus, usually), I don't mind.

#54104 - 06/24/04 02:06 PM Re: Bitch magazine
CheshireCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL USA

I love Bitch, though sometimes I get irritated at how negative it can sometimes be, but then I remember the title of the magazine, and quite often that's just what they're doing, and so I try to keep it in its own context. They are not trying to be an all-around feminist magazine with all sorts of topics, like Bust, which I also enjoy immensely; their premise is very specific and I can certainly support the need for such a forum. I like the way they point things out to me, always in this serious yet funny and witty way, and I don't always agree but that's alright.
I also agree that the articles sometimes sound like someone's thesis, which is commendable for quality but it is the reason I have not yet submitted an article- I'm afraid I can't be so academic in my (nonexistent) spare time.

PS Edited to add that I have given up on trying to subscribe- I live in a largely conservative "Bible Belt" area and so I hardly ever actually got my magazines. I just rely on the stores.

#54105 - 06/25/04 07:29 AM Re: Bitch magazine
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

I don't have any problems with getting Bitch in the mail (I live in New York at the moment), but I've had people freak out when they see it on my desk at work (I work in an English department; one would think that the word "liberal" goes with the territory). Some people who see the magazine though are just overcome with curiosity and start looking through it and a few of those have gotten hooked--not enough to get their own subscription but they keep borrowing my issue when I finish with it.
#54106 - 06/25/04 08:34 AM Re: Bitch magazine
betso26
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by naomism:
I don't have any problems with getting Bitch in the mail (I live in New York at the moment), but I've had people freak out when they see it on my desk at work (I work in an English department; one would think that the word "liberal" goes with the territory).
I once left an issue at work when I was waitressing and didn't come back to work for a few days. When I did, my biggot, sexist boss - who I actually got along with - made all kinds of off the cuff 'feminazi' type remarks about it - until I reminded him that I wasn't shy about filing a harassment claim. It's really not even that extreme, though, it's just the name that gets people's attention.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: