Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#54212 - 03/23/07 02:46 PM Good magazines for teenage girls
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

My housemate's nieces are getting into the early teens (age 12-14) and she's looking for magazines that would be appropriate for their age group. Does anyone know about good magazines for girls that age, obviously apart from the mainstream teen mag fare? She wants something that would be feminist and empowering, but not with explicit sex stuff or being otherwise age-inappropriate.
#54213 - 03/23/07 03:04 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls
Pflaume
Ching Shih

Is it too early to start them on Bust?
[And now for the bad joke]: Maybe they should put out a magazine for the younger crowd, and call it 'No Bust'

Seriously, though, I can't think of anything, but I'd be interested to know if there is, actually, something for that age group.

#54214 - 03/23/07 04:37 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

VOH, there are a couple alternative teen magazines that I know of: Shameless and Teen Voices .

Girl\'s Life is another "tame" teen magazine, but my daughter (she's 13) thought it was boring, and she refused to even look at the other two. Yes, sadly, she'd much rather read Cosmo Girl which she informed me the other day is "a really, really good magazine". Ah well. I am a Bust and Bitch kind of girl myself. And, I imagine she will be too, when the peer pressure isn't so overwhelming.

Right now however, the stacks of magazines in her room are mostly J-14, Teen, Twist, Cosmo Girl, Betty and Veronica comic books, and Nickelodeon. Aww, that in-between age.

#85817 - 03/25/08 04:44 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls [Re: Kivrin]
crumpet2
Ching Shih

I'd love to hear of magazines like Vegetarianonhiatus described but for the "tween" set (8-12). My daughter needs some values but refuses to absorb anything that comes from her parents. She struggles with choices, social cues, how to identify friends vs. exploiters and she wants to be fashionable but has no clue and I don't want her turning slutty. Also, there is more to life than stuff and rampant consumerism. Any thoughts? A tall order, I know...
#85828 - 03/27/08 12:16 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls [Re: crumpet2]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Crumpet2, are you familiar with American Girl? I think that may be exactly what you are looking for. My daughter really enjoyed it from about ages 9-12, and then she became a teenager... Heh.
#85844 - 03/30/08 05:31 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls [Re: Kivrin]
crumpet2
Ching Shih

Thanks Kivrin,
I'll check it out. We seem to have a bunch of American Girl Books...trying to introduce hygeine and good personality traits.
They seem good. Our daughter seems to have the personality of a six year old with the attitude of a thirteen year old.

#85846 - 03/30/08 08:03 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls [Re: crumpet2]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote:
Our daughter seems to have the personality of a six year old with the attitude of a thirteen year old.

You just described my niece!

How about Cricket or Faces? Although I'm remembering now why I've never given my nieces and nephews subscriptions to that family of magazines -- they're crazy expensive.

http://www.cricketmag.com/Category.asp?catid=4

#85932 - 04/19/08 12:41 PM Re: Good magazines for teenage girls [Re: VegetarianOnHiatus]
Caryl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: U.S.

This is my first post here, so hello everyone!

My daughter, age 8, loves Spider magazine and will be going on to Cricket soon. Another expensive-but-worth-it mag for 8-12 year old girls is New Moon:
http://www.newmoongirlmedia.com/home/index.html
Looks like they have a neat parents' blog, too.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: