Page all of 21 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#54840 - 12/04/02 09:39 AM [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

When I noticed some of you rhapsodizing over the beauty of the books published by Persephone, I was quick to ask Anna Carey for an article about them, and she was even quicker to oblige: Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women\'s Writing .

I have never seen any of these in person, but I'm quite in love with them just on the basis of Anna's article and the Persephone website. These are such beautiful editions! I love the idea of using printed fabrics as the design for the endpapers, and I love the amount of thought that goes into the choices. Somebody better give me some cash for Eid or Christmas, because I definitely want to order some of these.

If I were a book publisher I would want to be doing what Nicola Beauman is doing. I think this whole idea is just the coolest thing.

And you? Those of you who have any Persephone books, make the rest of us jealous...which ones do you have?

#54841 - 12/04/02 10:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
totallunachick
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.

I am so amazed and a little jealous of women who are doing something so extraordinary in publishing. Having worked briefly in the industry, I was frustrated by how little of it was creative and daring. Pulling books out of obscurity and trusting that women(and smart, lovey men) would find them and invest in them takes guts.

As soon as I'm not living hand-to-mouth, I'd like to become a subscriber. I was really excited about The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett, since The Secret Garden and The Little Princess are two of my favorite children's books. Like Deborah, I'd love to hear from people who have ordered from the site. I'm interested to know how long it takes for U.S. customers to get their books.

#54842 - 12/04/02 10:51 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Yes! It was down to Bear that I recently bought An Interrupted Life and Saplings (Noel Streatfeild! That I haven't read!), and then promptly used the excuse of buying another copy of An Interrupted Life for a friend's birthday to get A Woman's Place, too.

The books are physically gorgeous, and the selection just seems wonderful. So varied, and yet they all sound brilliant. I think it's going to be like getting recommendations from a friend who always knows what you'll like. Thanks, Bear!

#54843 - 12/04/02 11:19 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I have just ordered The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I'll let you know how long it takes to receive the book (I live in Canada).

It was love at first sight, that's for sure. I managed to control myself and ordered just one book... for now.

Edited for an interesting typo

#54844 - 12/04/02 11:20 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Sorry. Double post. *grumble*
#54845 - 12/04/02 11:55 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Thanks for this article -- I am passionate about Persephone Books (I own about 30) and love them all. They have all come safely to Canada (I use the cheaper surface mail option and they arrive anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks -- curiously enough, never all together although they get sent at the same time).I love the fact that Nicola Beauman ( whose own book that Bear mentions I picked up in a used bookstore many years ago and really enjoyed) believes in each of these books and in a day and age when so many books are so ugly!, I really appreciate how gorgeous these are to look at, and to read. Paperbacks from the U.K. often have very cheap paper that yellows quickly. The paper in Peresphone books is so classic - smooth, creamy, beautiful to touch and read. When I was in London this summer, their shop (which is so adorable) was where I headed first -- they have all the books lined up on the shelves with their bookmarks in front of each. I am just so impressed with what they are doing, when in the book industry, so much emphasis is on the next hot, young writer, big advances, and the merging of publishers into these huge conglomerates.

And have I mentioned that the several Persephone books I have delved into have been great reads? My favourites -- William by Cecily Hamilton, Saplings by Noel Streatfeild, Kitchen Essays by Agnes Jekyll and Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Lanski. I really want to get one of their latest --the Runaway by Elizabeth Anna Hart as it's filled with woodcuts (one of my favourite art forms).

#54846 - 12/04/02 12:06 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

Thanks deborah for thinking of this article, and Anna for writing it.

Since I first checked their site, thanks to bear for that, I am completely smitten with Persephone. The books, the concept, the end papers, it is all too special. I decided I deserved a Christmas gift to myself, and I have ordered Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson and The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield. I have also looked into my book budget and plan to collect them slowly. They have not arrived yet – I am in the boondocks of Canada – but I am hopefully they will get here soon. I will post flaunting unshamelessly (Is that an English word?) when I get them.

#54847 - 12/04/02 12:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ragdoll
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hearing about small publishers who get back to the roots of the business, book printing and selling vs. trying to formulate a bestseller, is so inspiring.

I've never heard of Persephone until now, but I'll certainly be checking it out.

Great article Anna!

#54848 - 12/04/02 01:46 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

What a great company! When I am again sufficiently employed that I am not going into debt by choosing to eat, I am definitely going to buy the lot of Persephone books (over time, of course).

I am a bit confused, though, about one thing. I have read a lot of posts about Persephone on Chicklit, and looked at their website earlier. I recall someone saying that bookmarks come with the books, but I did not see any mention of that on the site. Am I recalling correctly, or do you have to buy the bookmarks separately? And do they match the endpapers? Thanks in advance...

#54849 - 12/04/02 03:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

The bookmarks come with the books and yes, they match the endpapers on one side, with a quotation from the book on the other. They also publish a quarterly newsletter and often send a bookmark of an upcoming book with that. Occasionally they put out postcards too and send those along. It's all part of that extra special touch that I like. And the bookmarks are gorgeous.
#54850 - 12/04/02 03:30 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Oh, I want these books so much. If I get any Christmas or birthday money, I think Agnes Jekyll's Kitchen Essays is going to be the first one.

Edited because blithe spirit answered the bookmark question before I finished my post.

#54851 - 12/05/02 07:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

blithe spirit, I am so green with envy that you have 30 or so of these books! I think I will make it one of my new life goals to collect all the Persephone books.

I am glad you all enjoyed Anna's article. How can anyone who loves books not adore this company? I wish more publishers were like this. I can't believe this company is just four years old.

Anna, did Nicola mention typical print runs? I'm just wondering.

#54852 - 12/05/02 10:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
geurie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: London, UK

This sounds wonderful! And have realised the Persephone store is just around the corner from where I work: lunchtime excursion tomorrow I think...
#54853 - 12/05/02 12:57 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
bonster
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

What a lovely article, thanks Anna. Based on everyone's glowing reviews here, on Monday I ordered these:

Mariana by Monica Dickens
Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Kitchen Essays by Agnes Jekyll

In theory one or two will be gifts - but I'm not convinced I will be able to part with any of them if they're as wonderful as I expect them to be. Setara, I almost ordered The Montana Stories too - I assume you'll let us know how you like it...

Right around the corner? Guerie, I'm so envious!

#54854 - 12/05/02 01:41 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
betsytacy
Ching Shih

Loc: Grayslake, Illinois, USA

Well, if all the posts about Persephone Books hadn't already convinced me to order one, the wonderful article would have. I spent my lunch hour a couple of days ago trying to decide which one to order first. I finally settled on Mariana by Monica Dickens. I loved her book, One Pair of Hands (I'm partial to British comic novels/comedies of manners from that era--E.M. Delafield, Angela Thirkell, E.F. Benson, etc.). I discovered that the Persephone Books can also be ordered from Amazon's UK site, so I used that as an excuse to order the new Kate Atkinson and a couple of other books (Virago titles) that aren't available in the U.S. Now I just have to wait (im)patiently until they arrive...
#54855 - 12/05/02 05:57 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
EL
Ching Shih

Loc: New York City, NY, USA

I ordered Saplings after reading about Persephone here and it took from 11/22 to 12/4 to arrive to the U.S.A. It's so exciting to get such a beautiful book in the mail, and whoever addressed the envelope has really pretty handwriting! (the people who get packages from me can't say that!)
I'm also thinking of ordering The Runaway and The Making of a Marchioness, but they will have to wait until after the holidays.
I'm thankful to Chicklit for yet another wonderful discovery!

#54856 - 12/07/02 08:45 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Thanks for the kind words - I'm so glad that I've inspired a bunch of you to read Persephone books, because they are truly great. As for my own collection, I have Kitchen Essays, The Making of a Marchioness, Greenery Street, Miss Pettigrew, Saplings, Mariana and Few Eggs and No Oranges. I utterly loved all of them except the last one, a diary of London life in the Blitz which was spoiled for my by the fact that the author was something of a xenophobe, and was also a Spiritualist, which stopped me taking her very seriously. It was still very interesting though.
#54857 - 12/07/02 11:27 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I've been all over Persephone's website making lists that I plan to leave laying not-so-secretly around the house.

These books are beautiful! Thanks so much, Bear.

It's at the top of the page and I still can't spell "Persephone" for feck's sake.

#54858 - 12/10/02 08:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

betsytacy, thank you so much for the information that Persephone Books are also available from Amazon UK! I didn't know that. I wanted to put them on my Amazon US wish list but couldn't, I went and set up an Amazon UK wish list just so I could put the Persephone books somewhere (and, I hope, get Professor Frink to look at my wish lists at online bookstores in three nations now, as if he doesn't have enough to do).

I think, though, that the shipping might be cheaper through Persephone, so that's probably the best bet for most people. (Though Amazon currently has free shipping in the UK for orders over £39, which gives you an excuse to buy at least four Persephone books...) Anyway, if anyone's planning to order their Persephone books through Amazon UK, and would be willing to use the Chicklit Amazon UK shopping link , it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#54859 - 12/10/02 12:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
setara
Ching Shih

One of the packages arrived yesterday. But my Dear Husband got it before me and has hided it. He tells me it is all right for me to get a present for myself, but I am not allowed to open it until Christmas like everyone else. I think he did not realize I order two books, and one more package is due to arrive any time now. I am going to try and make to the mailbox before him this time. ;\)

For anyone wondering how long it takes to cross the ocean, I ordered them on Nov. 21, and the first one showed up Dec. 9. I don’t think it was too bad for this time of the year.

#54860 - 12/10/02 01:12 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Today I received the catalogue and the Persephone Quarterly. Can my book be far behind? I checked my bank account online and the book has been charged to my VISA account. Woohoo! Now how often do you rejoice about something like that? ;\)

I'm such a geek!

#54861 - 12/10/02 01:31 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
geurie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Also, if you're within the UK you can buy three books for £27 instead of £30, directly from their site (or in the bookshop). I was going to go up in my lunch break tomorrow... they sent me the catalogue and I've tagged the ones I want to buy first! BUT I'm off to Russia for Christmas, and if I buy the books now I'll read them before I go. So I think I'll wait until the end of next week...
#54862 - 12/11/02 06:11 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

A couple of days ago I got a lovely Persephone postcard from Persephone chief Nicola Beauman, who had just read a piece of mine that was reprinted in the Scottish newspaper the Sunday Herald, in which I extolled the virtues of Kitchen Essays. She is a lovely woman, and deserves all of your support - which I think you'll all be happy to give her!
#54863 - 12/11/02 04:38 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

I just received my copy of The Making of a Marchioness. It took a week to get here!

Wow. It's gorgeous. It's almost too beautiful to lend (especially to a certain friend of mine who has the bad habit of spilling coffee all over my books. I hate that). I will be plugging Persephone at every possible opportunity and will buy a few of their books for friends.

I want to read it so badly, but I've got a few books to finish before. I think I will keep it to read in on the train on my way home for Christmas.

#54864 - 12/11/02 07:45 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I got my catalogue, magazine, and bookmark today! All of which are only making me lust after their books even more.

They certainly are right on top of things there; they asked me for my address the day I published Anna's article, which was only a week ago, and I'm in Canada, and it's Christmas time, so the mail is usually a little slower. Also, the woman I was corresponding with has the most splendid, utterly English name: Hester Plumridge.

#54865 - 12/12/02 09:00 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Deborah, isn't the catalogue and magazine beautiful? I keep them all pristine between protective covers but take them out every so often to read them. The books are addictive, especially when you start getting a few and seeing how beautiful they all look next to each other on a shelf. A little sparkle of sophisticated silver for your library.
#54866 - 12/16/02 08:15 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
lipgloss
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Dispatched the boy to pick some up last week and am now halfway through Saplings. Did think they sounded expensive for paperbacks but they are soo beautiful and well put together and my first is a good read.
#54867 - 12/17/02 10:01 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Received a check in the mail yesterday, a rebate from my insurance company. Persephone, here I come!
#54868 - 12/27/02 03:19 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Orlando
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

Thank you so much for the article, Bear. I realise now that I first heard about these books in the UK last year when I heard a Radio 4 discussion about the re-release of Family Roundabout by Richmal Crompton. I was intrigued as I didn't know she wrote any books for adults and have been looking for it ever since(I don't think they mentioned many details except the name of the publisher on the radio so I didn't realise what a small concern it was).

So, you can imagine my delight when I checked out their website. I ordered Family Roundabout straight away, along with Saplings, Mariana and Kitchen Essays.

And the best part is, they took less than two weeks to get to Australia. I wasn't expecting them for weeks since I chose the cheapest shipping option but they arrived on Monday, just in time to be the perfect Christmas present to myself! I agree with everyone about how beatiful they are and they're such perfect reading for this time of the year, as for once I have nothing to do but curl up with a book, a cup of tea and a piece of my Mum's marzipan-laden stollen.

The only problem is that I want to own all the Persephone books, and I want them now!

#54869 - 12/27/02 10:22 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
bonster
Ching Shih

ahhh, that is the problem, isn't it Orlando? My books arrived within a week to 10 days and geurie, I'm happy to report that the discount applies in the US too. They are as beautiful as I had hoped, and Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day may be my new favorite book. Despite a couple of - shall we say 'dated' - references to Jews & Italians, it is truly delightful!
 Quote:
Also, the woman I was corresponding with has the most splendid, utterly English name: Hester Plumridge.
hee! deborah, I sent an e-mail to check on my order and when I received a reply from Hester Plumridge I had the same thought, it's just... perfect.

#54870 - 12/29/02 08:22 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
tombo
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

TraceyB here, posting from tombo's computer.

I bought three Persephone books with my rebate money. (Well, good heavens, you get a discount if you order three, so I had to, right?) I bought The Making of a Marchioness, Kitchen Essays, and Good Things in England.

I ordered the books on Dec 19, and they were delivered to Minneapolis on Dec 26. That was surface mail, so I'm drop-jawed that I got them so quickly. The books are beautiful, I can't wait to get more of them.

#54871 - 01/07/03 03:34 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
BasBleu
Ching Shih

Loc: Dallas, Texas

As I mentioned in the What I got for Christmas Thread, I got two Persephone books... Yeah! And, yesterday I got my Persephone Catalogue and Quarterly. I started putting post it notes on the pages with books I wanted to eventually get but the whole catalogue became one big post it!

I especially like how they also pay attention in the catalogue to describe the endpapers used for each book and why the selection was made.

#54872 - 01/07/03 07:52 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
amateur
Ching Shih

I was slacking at work today and decided to check out the Persephone website [hey, I work in a library, they're books... it's work related! ;\) ]. I can't afford to buy any of the lovely books, so I started running the authors' names through our online catalog. Of course we didn't have any of the books [although I wouldn't have been surprised if we had, we have books dating to the 1800s when our library system bought them new!] but we did have other works by several of the authors. I know what I'll be doing on my lunch hours from now on \:\)

#54873 - 01/14/03 02:11 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

Can I also sing the praises of Persephone? Since being given The Making of a Marchioness and William: An Englishman as birthday presents last year, I have been a devoted reader. I see already that people have written in admiration of the quality of the production - I'll just add that as someone who has earned her crust as a proof-reader, they are a pleasure to read from that perspective too!

A couple of months ago, I rang the shop to order copies of A House in the Country for my reading group, and found myself speaking to an extremely helpful individual who chatted to me at length about the book, what aspects of it the reading group might find interesting, and asked me to let her know how we had enjoyed it - this individual turned out to be Nicola Beauman herself! The shop itself is a treat to browse.

Thank god for Persephone!

#54874 - 01/16/03 11:35 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

Loc: Orange Co NY

Lord - after I first read the paper jam article I went to the webpage and drooled and drooled, but held off from purchasing b/c, well, I'm a bit of a spendthrift.

I told myself I'd go visit my sister in London and stop by the shop, and buy buy buy beautiful books.

Today? I just didn't want to deny myself any longer! and hearing about all of your successful orders, well, I went ahead and got 3 books. I LOVE reading old esoteric books, and I love supporting establishments like this... so it's not too bad, hey?

#54875 - 01/16/03 11:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Kari, -- which three titles got you to break down at last?

I just finished Julia Strachey's Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, which was a lovely read. It's a short novella and it captures quite beautifully all of the conflicted emotions running during the few hours before a wedding. The character of the mother was wonderful. I was intrigued by this book as Virginia and Leonard Woolf first published it -- in the introduction, Frances Partridge -- the only surviving member of Bloomsbury, I think she's now 102 - tells of how Virginia wanted Carrington to design the dust jacket as a way to get her mind of Lytton Strachey's (uncle to Julia) death, but she committed suicide before she could do it. I found this peculiarly moving.

#54876 - 01/16/03 12:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

I just finished Kitchen Essays. What fun! It was written in the early 1920s (maybe 1922?) and it's full of things about making do with only one servant and the like. I got a kick out of recommendations about using products from the US - breakfast cereals and such. Many references to the Great War and how society had changed.

And, corn! Somewhere on these boards we had a discussion about the British using canned corn kernels in things American's wouldn't, like sandwiches. Seems that habit goes back to the 20s, at least.

There was a bit too much about eating tongue for my taste, though.

#54877 - 01/16/03 01:03 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

I received my second order last week... \:D

I decided that I would read them first before ordering more. My second batch included Mariana (Monica Dickens, read it and loved it), Saplings (Noel Streatfeild) and The Home-Maker (Dorothy Canfield Fisher). I really love Persephone books.

#54878 - 01/20/03 11:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
setara
Ching Shih

I spent the afternoon yesterday reading Miss Petigrew Lives for a Day . I loved its naiveté and humour. Cinderella is, after all, my most loved fairytale. Yes, the racial comments did get to me also, but I tried to keep them into context. Not that I am excusing them, but maybe it is a remainder of how careful we should be not to fall into the prejudices of our own times, as the author did.

I got quite exited after reading it and ordered more Persephone books last night. I ordered William – An Englishman, Samplings , and The Runaway.

#54879 - 01/20/03 01:36 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

blithe spirit -
I ordered the two winter books (The Runaway and
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding) and then, because if there's a discount I just HAD to take it, I also got Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I am so excited to receive them, but not excited enough to order them rush. The UK-US exchange rate doesn't facilitate ordering things as well as the US-Canada or the US-Austrailia ones do!

#54880 - 01/22/03 04:52 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

holy cow, y'all, the books came YESTERDAY! that's right, less than a week after I ordered them they came! and that was surface to NYC. wow.

I am so excited to get these babies home!

They're so pretty I feel bad about carrying them around with me - my bag can be, potentially, a disaster area for books. Normally I don't mind a little smudge of dirt on a book, but these look very pretty, and also, like they'll attract dirt and show stains...

#54881 - 03/15/03 02:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere - I got my Persephone Quarterly this week, and on the news roundup on the back page Chicklit and this very thread are mentioned!:

Quote:
Chicklit.com posted a wonderful article by Anna Carey, also published in the Irish Tribune. This prompted a discussion on its 'paper jam' page running from early December onwards - well, less a discussion than a delightful series of compliments from Chicklit readers.
Well deserved compliments!

#54882 - 03/16/03 09:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Wow! That's wonderful. Thank you for letting me know about that -- I haven't seen that issue yet.
#54883 - 04/01/03 06:40 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

I visited the Persephone shop yesterday! And I had tea and a chocolate with Nicola Beauman, Hester and Sasha, the adorable Persephone dog, who is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel (my favourite sort of dog) and who is very old and deaf and cross-looking. The shop was absolutely beautiful, a dream place to work, and Nicola and Hester were delightful hosts. And they thanked all Chickliterati for their support!
#54884 - 04/01/03 08:22 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Bear, I am so jealous that you had tea with someone named Hester Plumridge. I have a vision of an intelligent middle-aged woman with twinkling eyes and a friendly smile who sort of looks like a cross between Emma Thompson and Virginia Woolf (why, I don't know - I guess because the shop isn't that far from Bloomsbury). She's probably young and glamourous in a Nicole Kidman kind of way.
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I would have liked to have met Nicola too -- really enjoyed her book, looking at all the writers she's now publishing.

#54885 - 04/06/03 07:04 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Hee, I'm afraid I must tell you that Hester was more the latter than the former - she was, I think, about my age (late twenties) and more hipster than Bloomsbury (despite being, well, in Bloomsbury. Anyway, she was working hard on their new broadband connection when I was there, which is pretty down to earth!
#54886 - 04/29/03 09:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
viv
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: NY

I think the books are beautiful, my favorite is How to Be Hip After 30 by J Viorst. Did you know the publisher's from a literary family as well as being an author herself, her sister is the mystery writer Jessica Mann.
#54887 - 04/29/03 04:48 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ice-queen
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge Cambs England

I have been purchasing the books in a mad manner since I found them - when in London (I live in (Cambridge ... the U.K. one, not one of the other 7) ... and was not reading them ... I wanted to have them ALL before I started ... but there will be no end to them ... so I have begun ... the first one (WW1) wrenched my heart [my grandfather was there] and the second - by the Dickens girl, made me all soft and fluffy inside ... they choose ACE books ... get some now! they will keep your attention every minute and with their dignified grey covers you will look correct and scholarly ... apologies for errors ... too much wine ... but I embrace all of you clever bookish women ...

#54888 - 04/30/03 07:19 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Are you reading them in the order in which they were published ice-queen? That's very cool. I do like the way that each book is numbered. I certainly shelve them by number. I really liked William too, really empathized with the naive characters.
#54889 - 04/30/03 05:34 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

I have a problem, a spending problem, wherein I can't stop buying the books. I just want to AQUIRE them.

Miss Pettigrew was so fantastic. Really truly fantastic. Fidelity was also wonderful, in a painful, can't look away style.

Now I've started buying the seasonal specials plus 1 new one. But now I'm having a hard time keeping away from the web-catalogue, and well, if my credit card weren't safely away in my jewelry box right now, I might have a larger problem! The first three look so tempting to me and I DO have to fill out my library, right...?

#54890 - 04/30/03 11:55 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ice-queen
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge Cambs England

Quote:
Originally posted by blithe spirit:
Are you reading them in the order in which they were published ice-queen? That's very cool. I do like the way that each book is numbered. I certainly shelve them by number. I really liked William too, really empathized with the naive characters.
I have the first 33 now ... they are sitting here in Persephone number order and that is how I am reading them ...

nodding to you about William ... the Great War did horrible things - the after effects still swirling around in this century.

#54891 - 06/24/03 01:55 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

I just bought Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day, Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, and William - An Englishman.

Honestly, I don't know how this company does it. I ordered the books from the Web site last week Wednesday. They were delivered yesterday (Monday). I ordered surface mail, too. I was gobsmacked when I saw them at my door when I got home. The Royal Mail and the US Postal Service must understand our book-lust!

(OT: Does anyone else find it amusing that, in the US, we send mail through the post office, but the British send their post via Royal Mail? Just me? OK, then.)

#54892 - 06/25/03 12:01 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Impudent Dandelion
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

I would just like to say that I blame everyone who has posted here for the sorry state of my bank account at the moment. Actually, while my bank account is sorry I've discovered these books, I myself am immensely grateful to chicklit for putting me on to them. I have been doing my damnedest to resist buying more lately, but when this topic popped up again yesterday I took it as a sign and ordered these three:
  • Someone At A Distance
  • Cheerful Weather for the Wedding and
  • Manja

I can't wait until they arrive! It's always such a thrill to open my mailbox and find those little white packages. I've been quite impressed with their speedy delivery so far as well, but I have had one little glitch. One of the books I ordered last time is still somewhere in postal purgatory - hopefully on a boat crossing the Atlantic. The other two I ordered at the same time arrived almost immediately though, and the people at Persephone have been very helpful in my search for the missing one.
ETA: The day after I posted this message my long lost book showed up in my mailbox! I'm taking it as a sign that I was justified in ordering the other three.

#54893 - 07/07/03 07:42 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I just finished reading Jocelyn Playfair's A House in the Country, published by Peresphone. What a beautiful gem. It's the story of a woman named Cressida who takes in boarders in a country house during WWII. There's a wonderful descriptive chapter about her rather snobbish aunt having to make the trip down on train during wartime and her astonishment when she finds Cressida serving meals in the kitchen rather than the dining room. Cressida replies that it saves her 800 plus hours a year in housework. It's a beautiful look at the homefront, but also has a lot to say about how and why a second world war occured, so soon after the first one. And it's not overly sentimental (like Mrs. Minniver) which I really liked. Strongly recommended.

I'm going to London in three weeks. Hooray, I can stop by the Peresphone store and load up!

#54894 - 07/15/03 09:24 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan

Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhhh ...I just got my first catalogue from Persephone. Where have you been all my life? Without stopping to breathe, I just ordered my first 6 books. Six! Now I am really in trouble - like I wasn't already drowning in book-debt. The credit card police will be on my doorstep any day now. \:D
(Hmm...almost posted this in You Know You are a Bookaholic When....)

#54895 - 07/16/03 07:22 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Welcome to the dark side, Feroza R! ;\) Which books did you order?

I just finished reading The Priory by Dorothy Whipple and loved it. I've now read 12 of their books and loved them all! It's hard to pick a favourite, but I think I'll have to go with Saplings (by Noel Streatfeild) and An Interrupted Life by Etty Hillesum, whose letters just overwhelmed me. I don't know how people can remain so positive and optimistic in such dreadful circumstances. Wow. I also really enjoyed The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which was my first Persephone book.

Oh and Impudent Dandelion, I'm glad to be such a bad influence. \:D

#54896 - 07/16/03 08:22 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

I just finished William - an Englishman on the bus this morning. Word of warning to anyone who's about to read this: if you have any tendency towards weepiness, as I do, don't read this book in a public place. It's wrenching.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was delightful.

I have to physically restrain myself from buying three more until after I move.

#54897 - 07/16/03 12:37 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
betsytacy
Ching Shih

The only thing that has stopped me from blowing my budget on more Persephone Books is the fact that I can't get my credit card to work on their website. But fortunately, my mother picked up on my rather obvious hints for a birthday present and bought three more for me. I'm a mystery fan, so I enjoyed Elisabeth Sanxay Holding's The Blank Wall--especially the fact that WWII rationing plays a role in the mystery. I loved Noel Streatfeild's Saplings. It was interesting to see the roots of her writing for children in this novel for adults. Next on the list is Hostages to Fortune. And I have to concur with the high recommendations for Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day; it is indeed delightful. I passed it on to my sister--so now she's hooked on Persephone Books, too. We were both also fascinated by The Children Who Lived in a Barn and the not very satisfactory explanation for why two parents would go off and leave their children alone for so long.
#54898 - 07/17/03 06:41 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Well, runs with scissors , I just didn't know where to start, so I started at the beginning and ordered #1, 2, 3.... but then jumped to 2 that looked just too too exciting - They Knew Mr. Knight and Brook Evans.
I will let you know when they arrive!

#54899 - 07/18/03 08:50 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

I just finished reading Greenery Street and I loved it. A great story about young-marrieds, and it was wry and charming.

I've got the two new-for-summer books waiting to be read, and I hope I can get to them soon!

#54900 - 07/19/03 02:31 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by TraceyB:
I just bought Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day, Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, and William - An Englishman.

(OT: Does anyone else find it amusing that, in the US, we send mail through the post office, but the British send their post via Royal Mail? Just me? OK, then.)
Hee. Me too, me too. And it really cracked me up when I first heard the tune from the British kids show Postman Pat: Postman Pat, Postman Pat, riding around in his Royal Mail truck . (Thank you Mr. Bean ;\) )

#54901 - 08/07/03 11:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Just got back from London where I popped into the Peresphone shop. I was chatting to the woman there (I think her name was Joan) about chicklit, which of course she knows all about. She said there was a woman from New York who had come in just the day before who learned about Peresphone from chicklit.com (I'm waving to you from Toronto). I bought six books: Manja, Julian Grenfell, The Blank Wall, Mariana, Hostages to Fortune and The Priory. Big, fat, beautiful books. Can't wait to read them. The store was lovely. They had a dummy with the uniform of a First World War nurse on display and some cushions made out of the material used on their endpapers and bookmarks.
#54902 - 08/08/03 08:52 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Colleen
Ching Shih

Loc: Anacortes, WA

Oh betsytacy you are in for a treat with Hostages to Fortune! (And I love your name by the way!) I just finished reading it and while I can't say it is a happy book, it is most definitely a fascinating one. I think it was a bit like The Home-maker as it made me consider the roles women had in the 1920s and 30s and what became of their ambitions as they married and had children. Please don't think it is sad, just very thoughtful...if that makes any sense.

I have Greenery Street sitting on my nightstand right now and I'll be diving into it soon. Then next month I'm ready to order three more. Still haven't purchased A Far Cry and I'm so ready. Also Elizabeth Saxony's book (can't remember the title.) And something else for sure!

Cheers :p

#54903 - 08/09/03 11:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
BasBleu
Ching Shih

Quote:
Just got back from London where I popped into the Peresphone shop. I was chatting to the woman there (I think her name was Joan) about chicklit, which of course she knows all about. She said there was a woman from New York who had come in just the day before who learned about Peresphone from chicklit.com (I'm waving to you from Toronto).
Waves to blithe spirit -- that was me! Altough I'm from Texas so maybe she was referring to another chicklit member that was there! I just got back from my vacation in Europe and when I was in London I made it a point to visit the bookshop. I bought three books, Mariana by Monica Dickens, Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey and The Blank Wall by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding. Can't wait to start reading them!

#54904 - 08/11/03 07:36 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Hi BasBleu. Wasn't the shop lovely? Would people think it strange if I said I want living room curtains in the material that is the endpapers of The Blank Wall? That is definately next on my Peresphone reading list.
#54905 - 08/13/03 12:36 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

OK, I have been incredibly patient, remarkably patient. But GRRRRR...I ordered my 6 beautiful new Persephone books on July 15, and I am still waiting, waiting, waiting. Now, I know that I live in Saskatchewan, which Canada Post often needs reminding IS a part of Canada, and I did order surface post, but still. How long should I wait?
(Honest - when I moved here from Toronto, and I was having my mail forwarded, the Canada Post employee asked when I would be returning to Canada. This has ever since made me nervous about the state of my mail).

(edited because I underestimated how long ago I ordered my books)

#54906 - 08/13/03 06:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Have you ordered by surface mail before? Surface post could take an awfully long time - I've ordered stuff by surface post from the States, and it's often taken well over a month. Airmail can be remarkably quick - I ordered stuff from Queen Bee Creations which got shipped from Olympia, WA on Friday and arrived in Dublin yesterday - which is possibly why other people have got books so quickly.

Anyway, as someone who frequently orders stuff from the other side of the Atlantic, and then has to wait a ridiculously long time for it, I feel your pain!

#54907 - 08/13/03 08:52 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
betsytacy
Ching Shih

Colleen, you are so right. Hostages to Fortune was wonderful. I loved the look at the struggles of ordinary people between the wars. I didn't think it was sad at all--except from the historical perspective we have of knowing that before long Catherine's children would be facing another world war.
#54908 - 08/13/03 09:49 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
katydid
Ching Shih

Loc: DC USA

Feroza, I'm in the US, and I've ordered from Persephone twice. The first time, my book took nearly two months to arrive. The second it took a little over a week. Both times they were shipped surface. I'm not sure what caused the massive difference, but I wouldn't worry.
#54909 - 08/13/03 12:09 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Impudent Dandelion
Ching Shih

I know how you feel, Feroza R, I'm waiting for three books myself at the moment (and I’m in Toronto so the shameful ignorance of Canada Post representatives may not actually be the cause of your frustration).

The last time I ordered three books I received two within five days of placing the order, but the last book seemed to have gone MIA. I asked the wonderful people at Persephone about this and was told that books shipped by surface mail can sometimes take anywhere from two to six months to arrive. Apparently British Mail will occasionally send packages marked "surface mail" by airmail anyway – these are the packages that arrive so promptly – but the Persephone people have no way of knowing whether a package will sneak onto the plane or not. Unfortunately, it is really luck of the draw when ordering by surface mail.

Incidentally, my book arrived about five weeks after the others. It seems that this time all three of my books were shipped by boat. Anyway, as hard as it is to sit and wait, that is all you can do. Don’t worry, I'm sure that your books will arrive...and mine too!

#54910 - 08/13/03 03:22 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Six Months!??!! OH MY GOD. How will I survive??

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback everyone. I will sit back, breathe deep, have a cup of tea, and wait some more.

And maybe next time I will bite the bullet and pay the extra for air mail. ;\)

#54911 - 08/13/03 11:58 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Colleen
Ching Shih

betsytacy, I guess what struck me as sad about Hostages to Fortune was that Catherine had to lose all of her ambition by the end. If she didn't long for anything, then she would be happy. I was thinking mostly about her writing, which she put away forever.

I wish there was a sequel though, as I would have loved to know what happened to the children. They were all going in such interesting directions.

I did wonder why there was no introduction for this book. I really enjoy reading those and missed it in this one.

I've just started Greenery Street and it's too funny. The most interesting part (as mentioned in the book's intro) is the size of the house. Once you had children you had to move because the house was too small?! The times were definitely different back then! ha!

I gave my Mom The Home-maker for her birthday and she is still raving about it. That book should be in the home of every parent everywhere. I don't understand how it became "lost".

As for all of you waiting forever for your books...I feel you pain! I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for ten years and we never ever ordered anything by surface. It would take months to show up. First stuff went by barge, then was trucked up the highway. I just bite the bullet and pay airmail these days. I can't stand waiting.

#54912 - 08/14/03 02:09 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
BasBleu
Ching Shih

Quote:
Hi BasBleu. Wasn't the shop lovely? Would people think it strange if I said I want living room curtains in the material that is the endpapers of The Blank Wall? That is definately next on my Peresphone reading list.
blithe spirit if you ever get curtains with that material you've got to show pictures! How cool would that be! Have you started on any of your Persephone books? I realized you mentioned getting some of the ones I did too so am curious which one you started with.

#54913 - 08/14/03 03:10 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I'm saving The Blank Wall for my Labour Day, long weekend treat at the end of this month. I have read Cheerful Weather for the Wedding though, and really liked it. Given the recent good reviews on this site of Hostages of Fortune , I think that one is climbing near the top of my pile too.
Sigh. I have four piles of books to get through, two for work, one for school, and only one for pleasure (although there are cross-overs from the first two piles). Why is there not a national Reading Week where everyone gets to go home (with pay of course) for a week and read. Think of the lack of traffic congestion!

#54914 - 08/15/03 09:39 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Quote:
Why is there not a national Reading Week where everyone gets to go home (with pay of course) for a week and read. Think of the lack of traffic congestion!
blithe spirit I nominate you for Prime Minister!

#54915 - 08/18/03 08:19 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

And of course, having said that, we got the blackout and I didn't have to go to work on Friday so --- hooray! I got to read all day!
#54916 - 08/28/03 02:48 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

They're here!!! They're here!!! \:D (Doing a dance around the computer). Well, 5 of the 6 that I ordered are here, and that means the 6th can't be far behind!!!
Yipee!
Now, which to open first? Actually, I decided to only open one at a time, and read whichever I happen to open, thereby avoiding the oh-no-which-one-to-read-first dilemma. So first up is...Mariana.

Whee.

#54917 - 08/28/03 05:39 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Feroza R:
So first up is...Mariana.
Delighted your books have arrived! And enjoy Mariana - I loved it.

#54918 - 09/09/03 03:30 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Impudent Dandelion
Ching Shih

Hmph. I’m trying my best not to be bitter, but I’m still waiting for my books. Congratulations Feroza R, I hope that you enjoy them all. I choose to take your having received five of the six books you ordered as I sign that if I order three more, my first three will arrive. The two new winter books are so enticing!
#54919 - 09/09/03 07:45 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Well, it is very interesting how things happen. My 6th book didn't arrive until yesterday, a full 10+ days after the first 5 all arrived at once. And to add insult to injury, I had just contacted Persephone the day before to see if I should be concerned. Hester tried to calm me and assure me my errant book would arrive - and sure enough it did. Although I think next time I will order books way ahead of when I want them, or else order air mail.
#54920 - 09/15/03 04:01 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
BasBleu
Ching Shih

Has anyone read The Victorian Chaise-Longue by Marghanita Laski? Wow! I just finished it during my lunch hour and it was so splendid. I think they describe it as a "little jewel of horror" and I agree. It had me in suspense the whole way through.
#54921 - 09/15/03 06:05 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Selena
Ching Shih

Loc: Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Quote:
Has anyone read The Victorian Chaise-Longue by Marghanita Laski?
BasBleu, I read it about six months ago and remember it being really freaky. I liked it well enough (didn't love it) and I wrote at the time that I would most likely read it again someday. Horror isn't my thing in general, but I'd like to see how the story goes now that I know what happens (if that makes sense). I'd especially like to pay closer attention to the scenes with Melanie (?) and her husband (was he her doctor? or a docter?). All in all, I'd recommend it. I think I tore through it in one sitting, just to get to the end to see what happened.

I was considering reading Little Boy Lost, but I think I'll skip it if it's horror, too. Has anyone read it?

#54922 - 09/16/03 03:06 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Selena:
[QUOTE]I was considering reading Little Boy Lost, but I think I'll skip it if it's horror, too. Has anyone read it?
Waves hand, jumps up and down excitedly - Go read! Go read! No, it's not horror, it's a story set in post-war France about a Englishman searching for his young son, who went missing during the war. It's a very powerful, very affecting book.

#54923 - 09/16/03 07:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I'm jumping up too. Little Boy Lost had me absolutely spellbound from beginning to end -- so beautifully written and so moving and one of the best endings of any book I've read. Actually, I think it's one of the best Peresphone books they've published.
#54924 - 09/16/03 11:04 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

blithe spirit, I'd agree that it's one of their best books. The other one that comes immediately to mind is William: An Englishman; again, a very affecting book which doesn't ever approach sentimentality.
#54925 - 09/16/03 07:51 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Selena
Ching Shih

Loc: Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Thanks, you two. Consider it on my TBR list.
#54926 - 09/18/03 01:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
BasBleu
Ching Shih

Well now I want to get Little Boy Lost too! But I'll control myself as I still have the three books I bought when I visited the store last month.
#54927 - 09/29/03 09:25 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Impudent Dandelion
Ching Shih

Commiseration needed: today marks exactly three months since I ordered three more Persephone books by surface mail, and my mailbox is still empty (also, it’s my birthday). I’m hoping that my posting this message will set some karmic forces in motion and will result in a few big beautiful packages waiting for me when I get home tonight.
#54928 - 09/30/03 04:28 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Oh dear, now I feel guilty about saying that I ordered my new ones on Wednesday night and they arrived yesterday morning! I got Consequences and Hostages to Fortune; they both look great.

By the way, if anyone hasn't read A House in the Country, I strongly recommend it...

#54929 - 11/13/03 02:41 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

We got new bookshelves for our huge kitchen last week, and I commandeered a full shelf for all my Persephone titles! They fill the entire shelf, and look absolutely gorgeous.

I just wrote yet another little thing about our favourite publishers for the Irish Times magazine, and got sent the two new books for my pains. I'm currently reading Miss Ranskill Comes Home, a wartime satire, and am gazing lovingly at Good Food on the Aga and wishing I had one (an Aga, that is). My grandparents had one in their kitchen, but they now cost a million pounds and so I will probably never own one. Sigh. So cosy.

Actually, I read The Priory recently, having been sent it months and months ago, and it's absolutely fantastic - I loved it so much I had to order the other two Whipple books. Strongly recommended.

#54930 - 11/14/03 11:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Another Persephone success. I decided after a rough week that I needed some pampering so I splurged on air mail. Five days later from the U.K. to Canada,I have Miss Ranskill Comes Home, Tea with Mr. Rochestor and Leonard Woolf's Wise Virgins to curl up with this weekend. Bear -- thanks for the rave about The Priory -- I read Whipple's Someone at a Distance and loved it, so I'll tackle The Priory soon. But I think the short stories in Tea With Mr. Rochestor are calling first.
I so, so love these books, I've invested in protective book covers for them. And I too have an entire two shelves devoted to them -- they are the classiest looking books I own.

#54931 - 11/14/03 03:04 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Every time this thread is resurrected, I splurge on Persephone books... except today. I manage to restrain myself (it helps that I have a few unread Persephone books at home). I just noticed that Persephone books can now be ordered through amazon.ca! I wonder if you would still get the matching bookmark, but perhaps someone will try it and tell the rest of us. It is still quicker with Persephone, though, if you're impatient like yours truly. \:D

They truly are beautiful books and people comment on them when they see them lined on a shelf. I tell them they are too nice to lend and that they will have to buy the books themselves!

#54932 - 11/14/03 04:28 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

I had pre-splurged on Persephone Books just before this thread resurrected because my Persephone Quarterly had arrived (and so had an infusion of cash, woo hoo!). This time - in a children's literature themed splurge - I bought The Children Who Live in a Barn by Eleanor Graham, The Runaway by Elizabeth Anna Hart, and Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd. The last of these I was particularly pleased to receive because the afterword is written by someone in my (offline) reading group.
#54933 - 11/16/03 09:30 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Quote:
I just noticed that Persephone books can now be ordered through amazon.ca!
I wish I'd known that before I used my last gift certificate! Oh well. Next time.

#54934 - 11/29/03 03:15 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Fiordiligi
Ching Shih

I'm lucky enough to live and work in central London but didn't know about Persephone until I discovered Chicklit. I have visited the shop (charming) and also decided that the thing to do was to start with book 1 and then proceed....

I bought the first 6 and am on 5 at present; I have enjoyed the Monica Dickens the most - Mariana.

Don't they make wonderful presents? I have sent a couple each to two of my American friends.

#54935 - 01/07/04 02:37 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Fans of Saplings might like to know that it a radio adaptation is a new Woman\'s Hour serial on BBC Radio 4! It started on Monday, and will run each weekday until next Friday. You can listen to the it online, too - each episode is on the website for a week after its broadcast. The first two episodes are here , and you can listen to today's one here .

I am greatly looking forward to the March Persephone books. And, I got a lovely Christmas card from the Persephone people, which was displayed in pride of place in my sitting room!

#54936 - 01/08/04 01:47 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Peppermint
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

All this time visiting Chicklit and I never quite realized what the Persephone books were . . . . because of the name I somehow assumed that they were a series of mythological fantasy novels! Oh, what a fool I was. After visiting their site this morning, and taking a few hours to feverishly rationalize spending money so soon after my holiday shopping, I went ahead and ordered three books, with air mail shipping: Good Things in England, Kitchen Essays, and Few Eggs and No Oranges. I can't wait to lay eyes on them! I'm having them shipped to my workplace and I think I'll actually look forward to going to work next week, because I should get my books in six or seven days.
#54937 - 01/08/04 02:14 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Peppermint, welcome to the Persephone Obsession Club -- make sure you show the books to your co-workers. I am always sneaking one into my purse whenever I'm going to a party or large gathering, then somehow manage to manoever the conversation around, get everyone intrigued and then pull it out! to much ooohs, and aaaaaahs.
But really, so many books have rotten paper or boring covers or are just sloppily designed. Persphone books are works of art, as well as being great reads.

#54938 - 01/08/04 03:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Ooh, Peppermint, two of the books you ordered were two of the first three I ordered! (Great minds and all that.) I love books about food and cooking and very much enjoyed Good Things in England and Kitchen Essays.

I'm waiting, not very patiently, for my most recent order to arrive - The Victorian Chaise-Longue, Few Eggs and No Oranges, and Good Food on the Aga. No, I don't have an Aga and am never likely to, but I just couldn't stay away from that book.

#54939 - 01/08/04 04:27 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Oh, the Aga book. It's so gorgeous. My great aunts had an Aga, so it really reminds me of childhood. I wish I had one now, but as they cost about ten grand (which is more or less $10,000), and indeed have always been terribly expensive, I don't think I'll be buying one in the near future. Sigh.
#54940 - 01/08/04 08:16 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Quote:
All this time visiting Chicklit and I never quite realized what the Persephone books were . . . . because of the name I somehow assumed that they were a series of mythological fantasy novels!
Hee. You can be pretty sure that if I like something, that's not what it is.

I think Persephone should put Bear and blithe spirit on the payroll.

#54941 - 01/09/04 08:20 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Hee Hee - I think Bear and I would work for them for free.
#54942 - 01/09/04 02:35 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
listersgirl
Ching Shih

I was given two Persephone books for Christmas - what a wonderful surprise! They are beautiful. It's such a pleasure to read something that looks so appealing, and to support the re-issuing of forgotten works at the same time. I haven't even started them yet, but I already want more.
#54943 - 01/10/04 07:31 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Hee, blithe spirit, you're right!

I think it's great that all it seems to take for people to buy Persephone books is to know they exist. No hard sell is needed! I've heard from them before how every little mention of them or article about them in the press is usually followed by a ton of new orders.

I'm actually going over to London in two weeks, so I'll try and call in to the shop and buy a few more...

#54944 - 01/15/04 11:02 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Just had two of the three latest books I ordered arrive today. Saplings and The Priory . Whee. \:D
#54945 - 01/16/04 09:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

What's an excessive time to wait for air mail from the UK to the US? Two of my books are here, but the other isn't. I ordered them all on Dec 30. The other two came in separately, several days apart, so I'm still hopeful for the third.

I splurged on air mail, and these books took longer to get here than my previous surface-mail orders. Rather annoying. *sigh* I'll never understand the vagaries of the mail systems.

#54946 - 01/16/04 09:55 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Well, even though I'm not in the US, I'm still waiting for stuff for work -from other London publishers, not Persephone - that was supposedly posted on Friday and still hasn't arrived. But I got stuff yesterday that was posted from London on Monday evening. So, I think the UK postal service is a bit unpredictable at the moment.
#54947 - 01/16/04 11:17 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Peppermint
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Ooh, I just got my first Persephone book, Kitchen Essays! (I ordered my three, via air mail, on January 8, so it's been a little more than a week.) What a gorgeous book! I'm really pleased to have it; I needed a pick-me-up on this incredibly cold, blustery day. I just wish I'd received the other two as well, but it seems that no amount of skulking around the mail table here at work is going to cause them to turn up.
#54948 - 01/20/04 09:01 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

As usual, I started fretting too soon. My third book was waiting for me when I got home Friday.

The Victorian Chaise-Longue was a very creepy little book. I enjoyed it a lot. I've also gone through Good Food on the Aga, and it was lots of fun. I love old cookbooks. One gets very grateful at how easy we have it these days, kitchen-wise.

#54949 - 01/22/04 07:18 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

So my third Persephone book Greenery Street arrived this week. Last summer, I ordered 6 Persephones by surface mail and drove myself crazy waiting six weeks for them to arrive. So this time around, I thought to myself, I will order them long in advance to give enough time for them to arrive in time for my April vacation. (I am too cheap to pay air mail, what can I say :rolleyes: ).
Mr. Feroza had given me Persephone gift certificates for Christmas so I ordered 3 new books via snail mail the first week in January. They arrived 2 weeks later! Now that means I will read them long before April and I will need to order more.
I am intrigued by The Victorian Chaise-Longue. Not a book I would normally pick up, but the posts here have me determined to read this one.

#54950 - 02/09/04 03:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Lizzie
Ching Shih

Loc: Washington DC

A friend is going to London later this week to visit her brother--he lives not far from Persephone Books, so she's going to buy books for me. Yeah! Now I have to decide which ones to get--I think three is the maximum I can ask her to carry in her luggage. But which three? So difficult, and reading this thread is not helping me narrow my list.
#54951 - 02/17/04 09:02 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I was scanning one of those movie magazines that come free at the theatres, and there was a little blurb about the making of the film Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day. Apparently Frances McDormind is set to star as Miss Pettigrew, with a host of other actresses including Jennifer Aniston (not sure about that one), wanting to be her employer. While I can see this being a pretty awful movie, I hope it gains a lot of exposure and sales for Persephone!
#54952 - 02/18/04 12:55 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kari
Ching Shih

wow, blithe spirit, that's some news! I usually hate the idea of my favorite books being made to movies, but I'm pretty curious to see how this one would turn out -

(I got the following from this terrible website:
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/m/misspettigrewlivesforaday.shtm

"Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day Updated:

Monday 24th November 2003: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day Update:
Focus Features is in talks to make a feature of recently rediscovered British comic novel Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, with Frances McDormand in talks to star. David Magee will write the screenplay. Written by Winifred Watson, the book was first published in 1938. The title character is a seasoned governess who gets a taste of a more glamorous, exciting life when sent to work in the home of nightclub performer Miss La Fosse and entrusted with sorting out the latter's highly unrespectable affairs. McDormand would play the governess. Several high-profile actresses including Jennifer Aniston are circling the role of the amoral starlet, described in the book as having "had as many male admirers as Miss Pettigrew had had children to watch over in her long years as governess."

#54953 - 02/18/04 08:44 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
angie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Oxford, England

I tend to lurk here and will be forever grateful to this forum for introducing me to Persephone.

I've just discovered that Nicola Beauman will be coming to Oxford (where I live) to give a talk as part of the Oxford Literary Festival and thought I'd pass on the information in case there are others in the south-east of England who may be interested - tickets go on sale on Monday 23rd February. The details are as follows:

Event 94: Sunday 28th March 4pm.
A Woman’s Touch: Publishing the Domestic
ticket price: £5.00
venue: Oxford Union, St Michael's Street
Nicola Beauman talks about the inspiration behind Persephone Books, her unique and innovative company that reprints many lost but well-loved women’s classics. Against the odds Persephone has found its own niche in the publishing world, with a devoted following. It celebrates its 5th birthday this March. If you care about women writers, don’t miss this.

The festival website can be found here:

http://www.sundaytimes-oxfordliteraryfestival.co.uk/index.asp

I hope I've posted this in the correct thread. I'm so excited about this event and do hope the attendance will be good!

#54954 - 02/18/04 09:09 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Wow, the whole line-up looks great -- wish I could go. I love the idea of Lyra's Oxford tour too. Please report back angie on Beauman's talk -- I'm sure it will be fascinating.
#54955 - 03/12/04 01:59 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Raindrop
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I read about Persephone Books here and could not wait to order something from them. My beautiful, elegant, perfectly weighted copy of "The Making of A Marchioness" arrived last Tuesday and I am in raptures over it \:\) It took about 8 days between ordering it on-line from the company in the UK and its air-mailed arrival in very rural Australia. Book + postage cost me stg 15 pounds, but books are expensive in Australia anyhow, and I am hooked already on the titles, appearnace and feel of Persephone Books. Indeed, I can feel a new obsession coming on.
I sent an email to Persephone to compliment them on the service, and to mention where I'd heard of them [ie chicklit] and received a prompt and charming reply.
Small is not just good, it's wonderful, imo.

#54956 - 03/12/04 07:36 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I was recently given a gift card for two Persephone books by a Chicklit/TWoP fan (thank you, D!), and after deliberating for a really long time about which books to order, I chose The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher and Consequences by E.M. Delafield (for which I love the endpapers).

It was incredibly hard to choose but a lot of fun, too. Once they arrive I will have seven Persephone books (3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, and 30). And it's Persephone's fifth birthday, so happy birthday to one of the very best publishers out there!

#54957 - 04/07/04 07:31 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Last night I got home to find in my mailbox my issue of a new literary journal called Slightly Foxed. The format is like a trade paperback with nice paper and they review books that aren't the blockbusters but that have either not been reviewed in the mainstream press, or classic books that have endured. The variety of books was really interesting. They also had an article about Persephone Books and interviewed the founder, Nicola Beauman. And then there was a review of two Peresphone books, Greenery Street and Manja. It's a lovely little journal - a bit pricey to have a subscription overseas, but I like supporting endeavours like this. I feel the same spirit that's behind Peresphone is also behind this journal. They have a website if anyone is interested in checking it out:
www.foxedquarterly.com

#54958 - 06/12/04 07:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blessures
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I just got the new Persephone Quarterly, and Chicklit is the last item on the Finally page!

"Lastly do look at the Persephonites website which a group of readers have set up...and the Chicklt website, which has been discussing our books since December 2002"

They don't actually include the addresses for either of the sites, though.

My recent purchases were Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and It's Hard to be Hip Over Thirty (althoguh that's being republished. I also have William - An Englishman left to read from a birthday present.

#54959 - 06/12/04 01:14 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

I followed a hunch and found the Persephonites yahoo group here .
#54960 - 06/12/04 06:54 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

The best Persephone book I have read so far is Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski. It is just shattering, so moving and a real page-turner as you are desperate for everything to work out. I really recommend it.

I love getting the magazine in the post, mine came today. It's nice to read about even the books you're probably not going to buy, though I have certainly been induced to buy several by the articles.

#54961 - 07/02/04 11:12 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Chicklit is mentioned in the Summer 2004 issue of the Quarterly.
#54962 - 07/02/04 11:15 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
betsytacy
Ching Shih

My father, brother-in-law, and two nephews took a "boys" trip to England in the spring, and in my father's suitcase was a Persephone book that my mother had ordered for me, which I already had. They took a trek to the Persephone shop (my father was impressed by the location close to the British Museum) to exchange it for another book. The person who helped them was a bit surprised that someone had come from the U.S. to exchange a book but happy to help. My father then coached my 9-year-old nephew to taunt me upon their return with "Ha, ha. I've been to the Persephone store and you haven't." As long as I got a new Persephone book out of it.....
#54963 - 07/06/04 05:16 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
bonster
Ching Shih

How lucky am I?? I ordered 3 Persephone books last Tuesday and they arrived today! One week - a week with a holiday, no less - and I used the slow-boat service. They were in 3 separate envelopes but rubber-banded together. So sorry for those of you who had to wait for so long. I'm off to continue doing my happy dance, and to start reading.
#54964 - 07/07/04 06:30 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

TraceyB: What does it say about Chicklit? I thought I received the Summer catalogue recently but perhaps not; I can only find the Spring one.
#54965 - 07/07/04 10:21 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

It's just a brief reference, deborah. It mentions the site and says that we've been talking about Persephone since 2002.
#54966 - 07/07/04 01:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
teapot
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge (the one in England)

I have been ordering three Persephone books quarterly ... I just received volumes 46, 47 and 48 - Miss Ranskill Comes Home - Barbara Euphan Todd, The New House - Lettice Cooper and The Casino - Margaret Bonham. This means I now have them all except for the two new ones for this summer ... I can hardly believe it ... they are all stacked (in order) on the shelf next to me.

I have been reading them in order too and am at volume 7 ...

#54967 - 07/09/04 08:31 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

My new Bitch came in the mail yesterday, and Persephone is on the Bitch List. They did a nice little write-up, including good words about the lovely silver-gray bindings and endpapers.
#54968 - 07/12/04 11:13 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Sigh. I ordered three Persephones the first week of May. Two came within 10 days. The Victorian Chaise Longue and The Blank Wall . I read through them much, much too fast and I am now sorrowing for their lost sibling. The Wise Virgins , where are you?
#54969 - 07/13/04 07:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

I ordered ten Persephones in mid-June. Two came within five days--leaving me completely flabbergasted. Have not seen hide nor hair of the other eight though I suppose I shan't worry until at least six weeks have gone by.
#54970 - 08/08/04 03:07 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kathel
Ching Shih

Loc: new york, ny

Awright, you all have convinced me and I've taken the plunge. I ordered Kitchen Essays, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and Cheerful Weather for the Wedding -- by air mail.

Whenever I have a little extra money lying around, I know I can rely on Chicklit to help me spend it. Such an important public service. ;\)

#54971 - 08/08/04 03:12 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
naomism
Ching Shih

Update (a little belated): all the Persephones I order did arrive within the last few weeks. I'm already plotting my next order.
#54972 - 08/09/04 07:55 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Quote:
Sigh. I ordered three Persephones the first week of May. Two came within 10 days. The Victorian Chaise Longue and The Blank Wall . I read through them much, much too fast and I am now sorrowing for their lost sibling. The Wise Virgins , where are you?
Update - still waiting, waiting, waiting. Humm deee dumm, dumm, dumm.

#54973 - 08/12/04 04:11 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kathel
Ching Shih

It's only been four days and I already have Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day! Air mail came through for me!

And, I know you all have been over this, but my gosh the book is gorgeous. Beautiful paper, perfect size and weight, and the typeface just makes my heart beat faster. I'm afraid to mar its perfection by opening it up, but of course I must read it, so oh well.

#54974 - 08/18/04 08:20 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Great article on Persephone from the Telegraph here
#54975 - 08/19/04 07:12 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Quote:
Update - still waiting, waiting, waiting. Humm deee dumm, dumm, dumm.
:o
The very same day I wrote that, The Wise Virgins showed up in my mail box.

And, just to show the mail isn't always that slow, I ordered three more Persephones on August 7, and all three arrived yesterday. Yahoo!

#54976 - 09/11/04 02:44 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Colleen
Ching Shih

Thought you guys would like to see my article on Persephone at Bookslut.com. Nicola Beauman was great when it came to answering my annoying questions and sending info on Persephone. She has also been very gracious about the article itself.

To reward myself I just purchased three new books which arrived in mere days even with surface mail! yea!!

Colleen

PS. Sorry there is no auto link to the web site. This computer is not doing anything I want lately!

#54977 - 09/11/04 11:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Orlando
Ching Shih

Great article, Colleen. The more people who discover the joys of Persephone, the better.

I thought you wouldn't mind me posting the link for you.

#54978 - 11/11/04 10:07 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

Has anyone here read Cheerful Weather For The Wedding? I am thinking of ordering the audio book version for my mother for Christmas (she doesn't read much, or I'd get her Miss Pettigrew or one of the others I've read, but she does love audio books and that's the only one available). Is it a comedy? A suitable present?

I like the sound of Lady Rose And Mrs Memmary and might have to get that for myself too. And I really want one of those new Persephone notebooks, although I already have a booklist book.

#54979 - 11/11/04 11:34 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

I have both of the new books (being on the Persephone press mailing list). Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary is absolutely lovely - the illustrations are great too. And the wartime cookbook, They Can't Ration These, is fascinating - although I shan't be trying the "how to cook a hedgehog" recipe any time soon!
#54980 - 11/11/04 01:40 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Quote:
And the wartime cookbook, They Can't Ration These, is fascinating - although I shan't be trying the "how to cook a hedgehog" recipe any time soon!
Another book about cooking! Yay! I think I have all the others that deal with food.

My annual birthday money always goes to Persephone purchases. Soon, soon!

#54981 - 11/15/04 06:17 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
angie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I went along to the November Persephone tea yesterday afternoon, which was held in Oxford. It was wonderful - seed cake and madeira were served and we were each given a copy of Time and Tide, the little book Persephone published to celebrate their fifth birthday. Nicola Beauman gave a short talk and then answered questions. Nicola's enthusiam for Persephone books is incredibly infectious and it's so refreshing to listen to someone who is that passionate about their work. Nicola was also selling the books before and after her talk and took time to chat with everyone who had questions. She did mention in her talk that Persephone will be publishing a book by a Canadian writer next year. I thought folk here would be interested to know which writer, so I asked Nicola while buying my books and found out that the writer is Ethel Wilson. I'm ashamed to say I've not heard of her, is she well known in Canada?

I bought (because really how could I resist!) The Montana Stories and also two of the new Persephone notebooks, which are so beautiful. The notebooks are exactly like the other books but have blank pages.

#54982 - 11/15/04 08:50 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Angie -- that tea does sound like fun. Just out of curiosity what was the average age of the attendees? And what percentage were men?

Ethel Wilson was a Vancouver writer who wrote novels in the 1940s and 1950s about women finding their independence in often humourous ways. Sounds like a good fit with Peresphone. I've read one of her novels, Swamp Angel, which was very good. I think most Canadians wouldn't know her though - she seems to have slipped under the radar and I don't think she's taught in schools anymore.

Do the notebooks have the beautiful endpapers too? I'm so jealous. I don't think you can order the notebooks online. Must plan a trip to London!

#54983 - 11/15/04 06:25 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
angie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I would guess that most of the attendees at the tea were between 45-60, with a fair number a little bit older. I'm 34 and was definitely one of the youngest. There were approx. 60 or so people there and 4 or 5 were men.

Quote:
Ethel Wilson was a Vancouver writer who wrote novels in the 1940s and 1950s about women finding their independence in often humourous ways. Sounds like a good fit with Peresphone.
Thanks for this blithe spririt - as you say Wilson sounds like a good fit. Nicola Beauman was certainly enthusiastic about Wilson's writing so I shall look forward to this one, I'm not sure which of her books is going to be published by Persephone, I forgot to ask - sorry!

Quote:
Do the notebooks have the beautiful endpapers too? I'm so jealous. I don't think you can order the notebooks online.
Yes, the notebooks also have endpapers. I believe all the notebooks are the same, but I may be mistaken. The two I picked up have endpapers designed by Duncan Grant - the textile is described as 'Queen Mary' screen-printed cotton velvet by Duncan Grant 1936 - the original textile is from the V&A museum in London.

I'd be very surprised if Persephone don't start to sell the notebooks online as they cost the same as their other books and can be bought as one of the books in the special three book deal, perhaps the online catalogue hasn't been updated yet to include the notebooks. I would imagine if you email Persephone they would be able to include a notebook in any order.

#54984 - 11/16/04 09:26 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Just chiming in to say that you can indeed buy the notebooks online. Wonderful idea, except that I doubt I could actually write in them... it's almost sacrilegious! (why, yes, I am a dork, why do you ask?)

I've decided that from now until the end of the year, I will be bingeing on Persephone books (except for my book club selection of December). Seems like a lovely way to end the year, as well as making a dent in my piles of unread books. Well, it would be if I hadn't just ordered three new Persephone books yesterday... \:D

#54985 - 11/16/04 09:51 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Thank you, thank you -- I don't know how I missed seeing the notebooks online. But I've ordered myself one right away along with the two newest books. Persephone is totally solving all of my xmas problems - it's so hard to buy books for some of my friends because I don't know what they already own, but I know they haven't got some of these titles. I think I will use my Persephone notebook as my 2005 reading diary. Can't wait to get it!
#54986 - 12/23/04 04:39 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Bumping this thread to report that I just got all six of the Persephone books I recently ordered. The books are:

LIttle Boy Lost
The Home-Maker
A Woman's Place: 1910-1975
Mariana
The Blank Wall
They Can't Ration These

Today is my birthday, and getting those six packages was a pretty fine birthday present! I'm so looking forward to reading all of them.

#54987 - 12/23/04 08:40 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
bonster
Ching Shih

Wow, happy birthday TraceyB! What a wonderful gift. Is it wrong that one of the main reasons I care about the suckage of the dollar is that it makes Persephone books so much more expensive to buy and ship to the U.S.?
#54988 - 12/24/04 05:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
lsugaralmond
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I just read Mariana and adored it. The best book I've read in ages. And the end papers were so pretty, which shouldn't matter but it does.
#54989 - 01/19/05 10:52 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

I'm busily making my way through my stack of Persephones. lsugaralmond, I loved Mariana, too. It was such fun to read. The Foreward compared it to some books I'd read recently, including The Pursuit of Love, which we read for the Classics Book Club just a few months ago.

Little Boy Lost was an emotional roller-coaster. I couldn't believe how anxious I was getting towards the end, wondering how it was all going to work out.

The Home-Maker was great, too. It seems sad that we're still dealing with some of these issues today (men who would prefer to stay home with the kids instead of being in business).

Kind of a funny story about reading this one. When I read Persephone books, I automatically translate from "American" to "English," so when there was a comment about making "biscuits" for dinner, I had a real mental jolt. Of course, the author is American, and was talking about the American meaning of "biscuit." Which you would think would be my first understanding, because I'm American.

I'm currently reading A Woman's Place, and it's fascinating. The enormous social effects of the first World War never cease to astonish me, and the author brings up some things I'd never thought of.

#54990 - 01/19/05 07:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

Quote:
Little Boy Lost was an emotional roller-coaster. I couldn't believe how anxious I was getting towards the end, wondering how it was all going to work out.
I love this part in the Guardian review by Nicholas Lezard: "Part of the book's nailbiting tension comes from our fear that Hilary won't do something stupid". That's just how I felt!

#54991 - 01/20/05 11:27 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

God, yes. I kept thinking, "Hilary, what are you doing? Don't be such an idiot!" Not the most relaxing pre-bed read.
#54992 - 03/03/05 07:28 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
mrstripeypants
Ching Shih

Loc: Bremerton, WA

Has anyone attended the annual Persephone Weekend in Cambridge? A friend and I are planning to be in London this autumn and are hoping to go. Of course I'm not sure how I will afford it once I've been to the shop! I'm halfway through William - An Englishman, which I am really enjoying.
#54993 - 03/12/05 05:31 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

Oh dear! I have just had the new catalogue through and they're threatening (most politely) to take me off the mailing list because I haven't bought any books for a year. But I have! Only a couple were from the shop direct and another couple online because I needed to bump up an Amazon order to get free shipping ... I feel like crying "Noooo, 'snot fair!" Oh well, I'll just have to order something quick to keep my supplies of nice bookmarks coming.
#54994 - 03/12/05 09:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

I just got the same message, Promethea! I thought I'd bought loads last year, but it turns out that some of them were from the shop, and most of them were secondhand, oops! Going to the website now to get myself a quick fix...
#54995 - 03/14/05 09:01 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

There are secondhand Perseophones?

I'm agog. Even if one didn't enjoy the book, they're so beautiful I can hardly believe anyone could part with one.

#54996 - 03/14/05 09:43 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I always stop by the shop when I'm in London and when I buy my books (cause I've never gone in there and NOT bought something) I always mention that I'm on their mailing list. They will update you on the spot so that you keep getting the Quarterly and the catalogues.
#54997 - 03/14/05 10:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Quote:
Even if one didn't enjoy the book, they're so beautiful I can hardly believe anyone could part with one.
I know! And I've actually picked up a couple second hand myself (I have never confessed this to the Persephone ladies). One of them - A Month in the Country - turned out to be one of my favourite Persephones ever.

I heartily recommend the Spring titles, by the way - the new Dorothy Whipple is excellent. Quite disturbing, in its portrait of a psychologically abusive marriage, but totally gripping.

#54998 - 03/14/05 11:31 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

It's true - I didn't like The Runaway much but I kept it simply because I like the row of neat little matching grey books and I didn't want to sacrifice one.
#54999 - 03/14/05 11:48 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Altariel
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by deborah:
There are secondhand Perseophones?

I'm agog. Even if one didn't enjoy the book, they're so beautiful I can hardly believe anyone could part with one.
I couldn't quite believe it either. But I've picked up several from various Charing Cross Road bookshops, and got both volumes of Mollie Panter-Downes' short stories locally. They don't usually have the bookmarks (but I gather I could buy them for a nominal amount).

I couldn't part with any of mine either.

#55000 - 06/03/05 09:54 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kathel
Ching Shih

OK, was anyone else disappointed in The Children Who Lived in a Barn? (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

I really had a plausibility problem, even aside from the oft-mentioned way the parents just cut out on an hour's notice to spend all their savings on plane tickets without really discussing it.

Does anyone else think that a village full of grown-up people, faced with five homeless children, would be so equally heartless and irresponsible? Because I just don't buy that having the opportunity to get rid of the kids and being manifestly eager to do so, they would pootle along for six months doing nothing but bitch about them.

Then when they are trying to fend for themselves in the barn, the poor kids are up against an almost uniform resentment, punctuated by the occasional mere indifference. Even their teacher, whose place you'd think it would be to try and resolve their situation, is kindly ineffectual.

And then when Sue does meet Alastair and he writes his article, it only takes what seems like a few days to get results, rather than the months it should have taken for an old man on a remote European mountain to catch sight of an English newspaper.

Here's what I would have bought:
------------
Parents discover that they have to go away quickly, to take care of dying grandma, who is so dear to them that they decide after anguished soul-searching to spend their savings on plane tickets. They disappear as before.

Fire or other disaster destroys the house, and the kids, though offered separate homes in the village, insist pluckily on staying together and go to the barn.

Group of sanctimonious know-it-alls insist that the children be split up and go to homes, BUT a balanced group of kind souls insist on giving the kids a chance. Groups agree on six-month detente, during which parents will be sought (enter Alastair's article at this point), at the end of which the kids have to be farmed out. Kids are not told.

Barn hijinks as before. Interesting tension between grown-ups who want to help the kids and grown-ups who want to see them fail.

Ending roughly as before.
------------
It seems like Graham wanted to get the kids into an interesting and difficult living-in-a-barn situation, the details of which are well thought out and fascinating to read. I just don't think she bothered to try very hard to get them there.

I'm one of the ones who's not getting rid of my copy though. It looks too good on the shelf!

#55001 - 06/03/05 11:26 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

I totally agree. I think Enid Blyton (yes, Enid Blyton!) would have dealt with that situation in a much more convincing way. I thought the entire book rang false in a way that Blyton's books don't actually do - in Blyton's books, you can somehow accept that parents let their ten year olds go off in caravans to fend for themselves because it's part of the bizarre but effective Blyton-verse. Blyton wrote tons of books about kids fending for themselves (the house made of willows in The Secret Island totally captured my imagination as a kid), but in their weird way they were always plausible, in a way that The Children who lived in a Barn simply isn't. The adults are just too heartless and strange, as are the parents themselves. I was very disappointed in the book.
#55002 - 06/03/05 12:36 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
kathel
Ching Shih

Exactly! If the children had been living in a barn for some engagingly quirky or supernatural or even unexplained reason, I would have bought it, since the barn scenes were actually fully realized and interesting. It's trying to put them in the Real World that bogs it down.
#55003 - 06/12/05 04:41 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
naomism
Ching Shih

Part of my ulterior motive for taking a group of students to Ireland to study poetry is that we'd have to stay a few days in London (cheaper flights than direct to Dublin). And in London, I had to visit Persephone in Lamb's Conduit Street. I not only fleshed out my collection (yes, I now own all 58 Persephone editions), but also dropped off a book of "lost" women's writing for Nicola's perusal and possible use.

The shop was absolutely charming--the books, the fabrics. I'm seriously considering moving to London...or proposing a branch shop in the US.

#55004 - 06/15/05 10:36 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I just ordered (and received in a jaw-dropping three days - I got the books, before the Visa charge even went through) the latest two Peresephones - RC Sherriff's The Hopkins Manuscript and Ethel Wilson's Hetty Dorval. And just when I thought the books could not be more gorgeous, they arrived with these great, clear, book protectors around the dust jackets. Now, I've been purchasing these and wrapping all of my Persephone Books to protect them -- the fact that they are now arriving in this finished form is just terrific. I'm going to London in August and can't wait to get back to that shop. I really want to buy some of their coffee mugs as they don't ship them. And more of their books of course.
#55005 - 06/15/05 10:59 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

I got the new Persephone Quarterly today, and not only are Colleen and I both quoted copiously, but there is a little piece about this very thread!
#55006 - 06/15/05 06:40 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Albacore
Ching Shih

Loc: Ottawa

They have coffee mugs, too? Must plan trip to London...
#55007 - 06/16/05 10:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
naomism
Ching Shih

Ack! You mean I was at the shop and I missed the coffee mugs??!!?
#55008 - 06/16/05 09:42 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Colleen
Ching Shih

blithe spirit you will have to keep us posted on the The Hopkins Manuscript, it sounds fantastic but I'm trying to hold off until the Fall for more book buying. (Still clinging to the Readalution from January, still working the shelf sitters as much as possible!)

Wasn't that a surprise Bear?! I didn't expect to show up in the Quarterly. I hope that article at Bookslut brought Persephone more customers - I'm all about spreading the love!

#55009 - 06/17/05 01:54 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Libby
Ching Shih

I'm planning a trip to London on 2nd July and I'm going to visit Persephone Books. If any Chickliterati are visiting that day maybe we could go for an over-priced coffee somewhere and discuss our purchases!

I'm particularly interested in women writing between the wars if anyone could recommend a title. The only Persephone book I've read so far is The Making of a Marchioness which was wonderful.

#55010 - 06/17/05 07:22 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

So, I get home tonight to find my Persephone Quarterly waiting for me. Of course, I go straight to the piece about Chicklit, and see the quote from Member 66 about Kitchen Essays, and it looks familiar, and...hey! That's me!

It's really silly how proud I feel about that.

#55011 - 06/18/05 10:28 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Belinda W.
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Hi TraceyB, and that's how I found this great site, reading my PQ! This is just my second posting here.
I have 29 Persephone books, (just counted them.)
My favourites are all the Dorothy Whipples, the two Mollie Panter-Downes, then ''Tea with Mr Rochester,'' ''The Casino,'' and ''Tell it to a Stranger.'' I love short stories.
For Libby, if you are interested in women's fiction written between the wars Virago classics might be worth a look. They have a great website.

#55012 - 06/18/05 01:58 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Nancy Gray
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Bremerton, WA, USA

Books by women authors between the wars? Here's a toughie--Celia Fremlin's first book, The Seven Chars of Chelsea, published Methuen 1940. She wrote fairly extensively for the Mass Observation people during the war: this is the study that propelled her into MO, I bet. I emailed Nicola last year suggesting this title for Persephone but I think she believed a study of the lives of "daily women" might be a bit dated. Probably right. Still, I reckon the book would be a fascinating read! Okay, Libby, get out there and find it, read it, then sell it to me!
#55013 - 06/19/05 05:26 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Libby - some of the Peresphones that showcase women's writing between the wars are Forothy Canfield Fisher's The Homemaker, Katherine Mansfield's The Montana Stories, Julia Strachey's Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, Anna Gmeyner's Manja, Elizabeth Cambridge's Hostages to Fortune, Lettice Cooper's The New House and Helen Ashton's Bricks and Mortar.

If you are interested in women writing ABOUT the two world wars (as I am), Persephone has published some marvellous books. I really loved Cicely Hamilton's William - An Englishman, Noel Streatfeild's Saplings, Good Evening Mrs. Craven, by Mollie Panter-Downes, Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski (so, so good!) and there's also the diary, An Interupted Life by Etty Hillesum.

#55014 - 06/20/05 07:08 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

I just got my quarterly newsletter too - hee - they quoted me as well, what fun! And they have Persephone Bookbags now! And it looks as if they are expanding their bookshop to carry books they don't publish, but wish they did - I can't wait to get to the store again.
#55015 - 06/20/05 08:59 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

blithe spirit, I'd love to hear what you thought of The Hopkins Manuscript - it sounds really interesting, but I'm trying to cut down on book buying so I'd like a recommendation before I commit.

Oh my goodness, I just got round to reading the new Quarterly and that quote about Little Boy Lost is by me! Hee, that's such a kick.

#55016 - 07/10/05 07:09 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

Bookslut has another article about Persephone Books this month.
#55017 - 07/21/05 09:13 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
lucylu
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Ooh, this is so exciting! This sounds like exactly my kind of publishers, I want to read ALL of the books you've mentioned on here... and the book shop is just around the corner from my work! Wonderful. This is really taking my mind off all the bomb scares in London today, for which I am very grateful.
#55018 - 07/21/05 01:55 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Frannie Glass
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego

This may seem like a stupid question- can you order Persephone books from the US?

Edited because apparently I can't spellPersephone in the US.

#55019 - 07/21/05 02:28 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Frannie Glass, you certainly can. Many of us US Chickliterati do.
#55020 - 12/02/05 10:11 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

For all those Persephone fans out there - check out their new re-worked website. Nicola Beauman will be writing a "letter" every fortnight to keep us up to date with what's going on in the shop and with the books. There's a wonderful new reprint of a 1940s how to do housework book, called How to Run Your Home Without Help - I'm ordering it as an Xmas gift to me - I'd much rather READ about housework then actually do it!

If you haven't ever been to their website it's
www.persephonebooks.co.uk

#55021 - 12/02/05 10:58 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Ooh! That's much nicer than the old one. Very pretty.
#55022 - 12/02/05 12:17 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Quote:
There's a wonderful new reprint of a 1940s how to do housework book, called How to Run Your Home Without Help - I'm ordering it as an Xmas gift to me
That's on my list, too! I always send in a Persephone order with my birthday money. I've got all of Persephone's cookery/housekeeping books.

#55023 - 12/02/05 12:27 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
mrstripeypants
Ching Shih

Loc: Bremerton, WA

I just got How to Run Your Home... (along with 2 others because that's really the best bargain. Really.) and can I say, Wow! They got to me super fast and I didn't even spring for the air mail. I think the new website is really lovely. Oh, and the weekend at Newnham was wonderful!
#55024 - 12/03/05 12:39 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Perdita
Ching Shih

Having recently spent an evening at Bear's place where I admired her lineup of Persephone boks (and, ahem, couldn't resist reading Amy Levy's Reuben Sachs), and having just found this thread, I am absolutely thrilled that the Chicklit London meetup in February will involve the Persephone shop, and maddened that I didn't go there last July when my partner and I were walking through Bloomsbury.

edited to correct UBB malarkey

#55025 - 02/03/06 03:24 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
orchid314
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin

Sort of Persephone related, but I just read that Focus Features (producers of Brokeback Mountain, this year's Pride and Prejudice, The Pianist, etc.) are going to make Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, starring Frances McDormand. I don't think they have a director yet.
#55026 - 02/06/06 08:24 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Check out Persephone's website where they now have Persephone clothes! - they have aprons, jackets, dressing gowns and pinnies in one of their end-paper fabrics. I have to say that if I were at all diligent about doing housework, I'd want to do it in a Persephone pinny! You can see photos
here

#55027 - 02/06/06 10:57 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Promethea
Ching Shih

£30 for a pinny? Ouch. The fabric is pretty but you could probably find almost as nice in a dressmaking store and run one up in half an hour. However, I do really want one of their bookbags.
#55028 - 02/15/06 06:01 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Perdita
Ching Shih

I had to say I was not impressed enough with their clothing to buy anything with the Money Saved From Re-using Bus Tickets kitty (which did buy me a Persephone book, as well as a Groundling t-shirt from the Globe). I liked the concept and the items fit very well with the whole Persephone idea, and I'd love if it all took off enough for them to expand the line, but the items just seemed a bit...thin. I suspect, Promethea, that you are right about the ease of making a similar item.
#55029 - 02/16/06 11:28 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Kwe
Ching Shih

Visiting the Persephone shop is the first thing I want to do when I get to London in April.
Didn't manage to make it last year - maybe because I spent so much time along Charing Cross.

Tried to buy some of their books on eBay but someone else outbid me. :-(

#55030 - 02/25/06 03:36 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Perdita
Ching Shih

Here's an article in the International Herald Tribune about small British publishers - including Persephone .
#55031 - 02/26/06 12:26 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
valenc1
Gráinne ni Mhaille

According to the website, the books coming out in March are:

Princes in the Land by Joanna Cannan
The Woman Novelist and Other Stories by Diana Gardner

Does anyone know when the books usually come out, early or late in the month?

Also, blithe spirit, I didn't realize that the books came with clear covers at one point. Could you please let me know what kind/brand they are so I can buy a few for my collection? Thanks!

#55032 - 04/25/06 11:24 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Kwe
Ching Shih

Just got back from my London jaunt.
This trip was to be all about books.
On the 18th I started on Charing Cross and spent the better part of the day in the various shops. Purchases include: a book on handicapped access in London, a book about the tv show [ spooks ] (known as MI5 in the US), and "Pride and Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen" by Arielle Eckstut - because face it, it seemed too good to walk away from!
Made it to Persephone on Wed. (19th) and purchased some books. Originally I thought I only had enough to buy 2 books but then checked my change purse and scrounged the bottom of my backpack and had enough to buy 3 books (Little Boy Lost, Hetty Dorval, A London Child of the 1870s) and some postcards. And someone asked me if I wanted to be put on the mailing list and of course I said yes.
As I was leaving the shop I walked along Great Ormond St. and found 2 more bookshops. "High Stakes" has all sorts of books about gambling and a couple bookshelves devoted to books about London. A few more steps down was another shop selling used books. I picked up an interesting book about a woman who rode her bicycle from Cleopatra's Needle along the Thames all the way to Egypt.
I then walked down to Queen Square Park & Garden to claim a park bench and spend a few hours reading.
Monday (24th) - before heading out to the airport I went back to the shop and picked up the Persephone notebook, Few Eggs and No Oranges, and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Then to the used bookshop where I found a paperback by Monica Dickens and a book about the pilot of the Enola Gay by Bob Green.

A very enjoyable trip! Although I was worried that my luggage would be over the allowable weight simply because of my book purchases. As it turns out I had nothing to worry about and could probably have picked up a few more books.

#55033 - 05/23/06 10:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
phoenixc
Gráinne ni Mhaille

ohmigosh! I wish I had found this thread before I left for London last month because I've fallen in love! I was in the Bloomsbury neighbourhood and could have shopped in person! These books look so beautiful and I can't wait to have some of my own!

My best friend is coming back for a visit next week and I've charged her with picking up a few titles for me. From the posts upthread on the erratic mail service, I don’t think I could stand to wait upwards of 6 months(!!!) for my books to arrive. The suspense would KILL me!

My “short” list of titles includes Greenery Street, Fidelity, Every Eye, Brook Evans, The Making of a Marchioness and Cheerful Weather for a Wedding. There are 11 other titles that make up my “long” list. I suspect that this will be the start of a very expensive, but rewarding book habit—as if I didn’t already have a book buying problem to begin with! :rolleyes:

#55034 - 06/30/06 12:50 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
katydid
Ching Shih

Loc: DC USA

Random question--Persephone's website says that you can request that your bookshop order Persephone Books. Are there any bookshops in the general Dublin area that carry them? I'll be visiting Ireland in a few weeks, and I figured an Irish bookstore is somewhat more likely to carry them than one in the US.
#55035 - 07/12/06 08:00 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Our beloved Bear is quoted again in the latest Persephone Quarterly; they quote her review of How to Run Your Home without Help from The Irish Times Magazine.

I'm planning to buy one of the new ones, Gardener's Nightcap. I got the bookmark for that one with my PQ, and the endpaper is absolutely beautiful! A flower that looks very similar to that one grows in this area.

There are four Dorothy Whipple books in the Persephone list, and I don't have any of them. I feel like I should, though, as she's obviously popular with Persephone customers. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should order first?

#85343 - 01/13/08 05:00 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: TraceyB]
Libby
Ching Shih

I finally got around to visiting Persephone Books at the weekend (about two years after I announced my intention to pay a visit on this thread!) Everything was as I anticipated; a bookish and pleasant atmosphere, boxes of flowers outside the shop, friendly staff, bowls of hyacinths and even the Keep Calm And Carry On poster on the wall! I specifically went to buy Saplings by Noel Streatfeild but I also bought At Mrs Lippincotes by Winifred Watson, a very nice Persephone hessian bag in the trademark dove grey, some postcards showing the shop and of course my Persephone bookmarks! The other nice thing about Lambs Conduit street was that I could deposit my husband in the coffee shop over the road and the children liked Coram's Fields, a park close by, with an animal corner. Which meant that I could browse in peace.
#85345 - 01/14/08 08:59 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: Libby]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

I just made my annual Persephone purchase - three books, so I get the discount (what with the horrific state of the US dollar, I'm afraid my budget doesn't allow too much buying from the UK). This year, I bought The Closed Door and Other Stories, a collection of short stories by Dorothy Whipple, which I read through that one immediately upon receipt. I enjoyed it very much. I love short stories, and these are really outstanding. The others are Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Shuttle and Alas, Poor Lady by Rachel Ferguson.

I really want to visit the store. Someday, I'll get back to London.

#85658 - 02/28/08 12:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: TraceyB]
Libby
Ching Shih

I've been studying the Persephone catalogue and I've decided to order Mariana by Monica Dickens and Katherine Mansfield's Journal. I'm still thinking about my third book but I really ought to read something by Dorothy Whipple. Loved Saplings!
#85689 - 03/03/08 09:00 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: Libby]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Has anyone heard any word about the movie of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day? Frances McDormand plays Miss Pettigrew, which has to be a good thing. It comes out in the US this month.
#85700 - 03/04/08 12:49 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: TraceyB]
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

TraceyB, I saw the trailer for that at the movies this weekend and it looks like a fun movie. Love Frances McDormand.
#85896 - 04/09/08 08:33 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost [Re: TraceyB]
Em
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Canada

I haven't seen it myself, but a co-worker who has not read the book said she thought it was predictable but well done and well acted: "very entertaining", she said. I have to say, of the Persephones I've read, I wouldn't have pegged this one as the one on which to base a film. But I'm very excited to see this delightful press get ... well, some press! I'm hopelessly addicted to Persephones (and VMCs).
#85901 - 04/09/08 09:22 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost [Re: Em]
essay
Ching Shih

Yes, I was happy to see that at least one Persephone title made it's way into U.S. distribution. Would that there were more.
#86448 - 07/31/08 07:44 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: TraceyB]
Promethea
Ching Shih

I just saw it - it's delightful. I've always just read it as a fairy story so I found the more serious tone and emphasis on the upcoming war quite strange at first, although of course they make sense. But the characters are well-cast, particularly Ciaran Hinds and McDormand. There are some beautiful sets and clothes. They did change one character in a way I'm not too happy with but I don't want to spoil it.
#86639 - 09/09/08 09:22 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: Promethea]
Promethea
Ching Shih

Me again - the Radio 4 Book At Bedtime this week is a popular Persephone book, Someone At A Distance. You can listen here.
#86641 - 09/09/08 11:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: Promethea]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

"Book at Bedtime"?! That's the coolest idea I've ever heard.
#86831 - 10/18/08 06:01 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Nicola S

My brand new Persephone Classics edition of Mariana by Monica Dickens arrived today. Hoping to take a trip to the shop later in October.
Page all of 21 12345>Last »

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: