Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#54840 - 12/04/02 09:39 AM [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

When I noticed some of you rhapsodizing over the beauty of the books published by Persephone, I was quick to ask Anna Carey for an article about them, and she was even quicker to oblige: Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women\'s Writing .

I have never seen any of these in person, but I'm quite in love with them just on the basis of Anna's article and the Persephone website. These are such beautiful editions! I love the idea of using printed fabrics as the design for the endpapers, and I love the amount of thought that goes into the choices. Somebody better give me some cash for Eid or Christmas, because I definitely want to order some of these.

If I were a book publisher I would want to be doing what Nicola Beauman is doing. I think this whole idea is just the coolest thing.

And you? Those of you who have any Persephone books, make the rest of us jealous...which ones do you have?

#54841 - 12/04/02 10:39 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
totallunachick
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.

I am so amazed and a little jealous of women who are doing something so extraordinary in publishing. Having worked briefly in the industry, I was frustrated by how little of it was creative and daring. Pulling books out of obscurity and trusting that women(and smart, lovey men) would find them and invest in them takes guts.

As soon as I'm not living hand-to-mouth, I'd like to become a subscriber. I was really excited about The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett, since The Secret Garden and The Little Princess are two of my favorite children's books. Like Deborah, I'd love to hear from people who have ordered from the site. I'm interested to know how long it takes for U.S. customers to get their books.

#54842 - 12/04/02 10:51 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Yes! It was down to Bear that I recently bought An Interrupted Life and Saplings (Noel Streatfeild! That I haven't read!), and then promptly used the excuse of buying another copy of An Interrupted Life for a friend's birthday to get A Woman's Place, too.

The books are physically gorgeous, and the selection just seems wonderful. So varied, and yet they all sound brilliant. I think it's going to be like getting recommendations from a friend who always knows what you'll like. Thanks, Bear!

#54843 - 12/04/02 11:19 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I have just ordered The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I'll let you know how long it takes to receive the book (I live in Canada).

It was love at first sight, that's for sure. I managed to control myself and ordered just one book... for now.

Edited for an interesting typo

#54844 - 12/04/02 11:20 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
runs with scissors
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Sorry. Double post. *grumble*
#54845 - 12/04/02 11:55 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Thanks for this article -- I am passionate about Persephone Books (I own about 30) and love them all. They have all come safely to Canada (I use the cheaper surface mail option and they arrive anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks -- curiously enough, never all together although they get sent at the same time).I love the fact that Nicola Beauman ( whose own book that Bear mentions I picked up in a used bookstore many years ago and really enjoyed) believes in each of these books and in a day and age when so many books are so ugly!, I really appreciate how gorgeous these are to look at, and to read. Paperbacks from the U.K. often have very cheap paper that yellows quickly. The paper in Peresphone books is so classic - smooth, creamy, beautiful to touch and read. When I was in London this summer, their shop (which is so adorable) was where I headed first -- they have all the books lined up on the shelves with their bookmarks in front of each. I am just so impressed with what they are doing, when in the book industry, so much emphasis is on the next hot, young writer, big advances, and the merging of publishers into these huge conglomerates.

And have I mentioned that the several Persephone books I have delved into have been great reads? My favourites -- William by Cecily Hamilton, Saplings by Noel Streatfeild, Kitchen Essays by Agnes Jekyll and Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Lanski. I really want to get one of their latest --the Runaway by Elizabeth Anna Hart as it's filled with woodcuts (one of my favourite art forms).

#54846 - 12/04/02 12:06 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

Thanks deborah for thinking of this article, and Anna for writing it.

Since I first checked their site, thanks to bear for that, I am completely smitten with Persephone. The books, the concept, the end papers, it is all too special. I decided I deserved a Christmas gift to myself, and I have ordered Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson and The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield. I have also looked into my book budget and plan to collect them slowly. They have not arrived yet – I am in the boondocks of Canada – but I am hopefully they will get here soon. I will post flaunting unshamelessly (Is that an English word?) when I get them.

#54847 - 12/04/02 12:44 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ragdoll
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hearing about small publishers who get back to the roots of the business, book printing and selling vs. trying to formulate a bestseller, is so inspiring.

I've never heard of Persephone until now, but I'll certainly be checking it out.

Great article Anna!

#54848 - 12/04/02 01:46 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

What a great company! When I am again sufficiently employed that I am not going into debt by choosing to eat, I am definitely going to buy the lot of Persephone books (over time, of course).

I am a bit confused, though, about one thing. I have read a lot of posts about Persephone on Chicklit, and looked at their website earlier. I recall someone saying that bookmarks come with the books, but I did not see any mention of that on the site. Am I recalling correctly, or do you have to buy the bookmarks separately? And do they match the endpapers? Thanks in advance...

#54849 - 12/04/02 03:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

The bookmarks come with the books and yes, they match the endpapers on one side, with a quotation from the book on the other. They also publish a quarterly newsletter and often send a bookmark of an upcoming book with that. Occasionally they put out postcards too and send those along. It's all part of that extra special touch that I like. And the bookmarks are gorgeous.
Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: