Page 2 of 21 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#54850 - 12/04/02 03:30 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Oh, I want these books so much. If I get any Christmas or birthday money, I think Agnes Jekyll's Kitchen Essays is going to be the first one.

Edited because blithe spirit answered the bookmark question before I finished my post.

#54851 - 12/05/02 07:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

blithe spirit, I am so green with envy that you have 30 or so of these books! I think I will make it one of my new life goals to collect all the Persephone books.

I am glad you all enjoyed Anna's article. How can anyone who loves books not adore this company? I wish more publishers were like this. I can't believe this company is just four years old.

Anna, did Nicola mention typical print runs? I'm just wondering.

#54852 - 12/05/02 10:53 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
geurie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: London, UK

This sounds wonderful! And have realised the Persephone store is just around the corner from where I work: lunchtime excursion tomorrow I think...
#54853 - 12/05/02 12:57 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
bonster
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

What a lovely article, thanks Anna. Based on everyone's glowing reviews here, on Monday I ordered these:

Mariana by Monica Dickens
Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Kitchen Essays by Agnes Jekyll

In theory one or two will be gifts - but I'm not convinced I will be able to part with any of them if they're as wonderful as I expect them to be. Setara, I almost ordered The Montana Stories too - I assume you'll let us know how you like it...

Right around the corner? Guerie, I'm so envious!

#54854 - 12/05/02 01:41 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
betsytacy
Ching Shih

Loc: Grayslake, Illinois, USA

Well, if all the posts about Persephone Books hadn't already convinced me to order one, the wonderful article would have. I spent my lunch hour a couple of days ago trying to decide which one to order first. I finally settled on Mariana by Monica Dickens. I loved her book, One Pair of Hands (I'm partial to British comic novels/comedies of manners from that era--E.M. Delafield, Angela Thirkell, E.F. Benson, etc.). I discovered that the Persephone Books can also be ordered from Amazon's UK site, so I used that as an excuse to order the new Kate Atkinson and a couple of other books (Virago titles) that aren't available in the U.S. Now I just have to wait (im)patiently until they arrive...
#54855 - 12/05/02 05:57 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
EL
Ching Shih

Loc: New York City, NY, USA

I ordered Saplings after reading about Persephone here and it took from 11/22 to 12/4 to arrive to the U.S.A. It's so exciting to get such a beautiful book in the mail, and whoever addressed the envelope has really pretty handwriting! (the people who get packages from me can't say that!)
I'm also thinking of ordering The Runaway and The Making of a Marchioness, but they will have to wait until after the holidays.
I'm thankful to Chicklit for yet another wonderful discovery!

#54856 - 12/07/02 08:45 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Thanks for the kind words - I'm so glad that I've inspired a bunch of you to read Persephone books, because they are truly great. As for my own collection, I have Kitchen Essays, The Making of a Marchioness, Greenery Street, Miss Pettigrew, Saplings, Mariana and Few Eggs and No Oranges. I utterly loved all of them except the last one, a diary of London life in the Blitz which was spoiled for my by the fact that the author was something of a xenophobe, and was also a Spiritualist, which stopped me taking her very seriously. It was still very interesting though.
#54857 - 12/07/02 11:27 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I've been all over Persephone's website making lists that I plan to leave laying not-so-secretly around the house.

These books are beautiful! Thanks so much, Bear.

It's at the top of the page and I still can't spell "Persephone" for feck's sake.

#54858 - 12/10/02 08:32 AM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

betsytacy, thank you so much for the information that Persephone Books are also available from Amazon UK! I didn't know that. I wanted to put them on my Amazon US wish list but couldn't, I went and set up an Amazon UK wish list just so I could put the Persephone books somewhere (and, I hope, get Professor Frink to look at my wish lists at online bookstores in three nations now, as if he doesn't have enough to do).

I think, though, that the shipping might be cheaper through Persephone, so that's probably the best bet for most people. (Though Amazon currently has free shipping in the UK for orders over £39, which gives you an excuse to buy at least four Persephone books...) Anyway, if anyone's planning to order their Persephone books through Amazon UK, and would be willing to use the Chicklit Amazon UK shopping link , it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#54859 - 12/10/02 12:23 PM Re: [Paper Jam] Persephone Books: Unearthing Lost Treasures of Women's Writing
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

One of the packages arrived yesterday. But my Dear Husband got it before me and has hided it. He tells me it is all right for me to get a present for myself, but I am not allowed to open it until Christmas like everyone else. I think he did not realize I order two books, and one more package is due to arrive any time now. I am going to try and make to the mailbox before him this time. ;\)

For anyone wondering how long it takes to cross the ocean, I ordered them on Nov. 21, and the first one showed up Dec. 9. I don’t think it was too bad for this time of the year.

Page 2 of 21 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: