Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#55064 - 04/26/03 10:23 AM Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Well, unfortunately I couldn't fit the excellent title into the wee space allowed for thread titles, but we have a new "Is This Picture Worth A Thousand Words?" article:

The Church, The Wreath, The Maid, and Her Lover: Liv Ullmann\'s Kristin Lavransdatter

New contributor Kristin King Isaacs determines whether the film version does justice to the Nobel prize-winning qualities of Sigrid Undset's work, considered the finest historical novel of the twentieth century. It's a lot of Masterpiece Theatre with a bit of Fatal Attraction: Jörundgaard.

I haven't read Kristin Lavransdatter (though I've known about it for going on twenty years -- and I can't understand why it was never on any of the reading lists in my Lit or Women's Studies courses), and this article strongly reminded me of what a serious gap that is in my reading. (Faria: Has it been suggested for the Classics Book Club?)

#55065 - 04/26/03 12:03 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Good article, Kristin. My only connection to this novel is that once upon a time, in an interview, one of my favorite authors, (Connie Willis) claimed Kristin Lavransdatter as her favorite book. So, I immediately went out and bought the three volumes, set them on my bookshelf, and never read them! Now, I plan to remedy this. Your article has piqued my interest again. Thanks!
#55066 - 04/26/03 12:47 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
Elle Dee
Ching Shih

Kivrin, I was thinking exactly the same thing: "Oh, this is Connie Willis's favorite book!"
#55067 - 04/28/03 08:28 AM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
Kristin K
Ching Shih

Loc: Durham, NC

Quote:
one of my favorite authors, (Connie Willis) claimed Kristin Lavransdatter as her favorite book
Wow, I didn't know that! I like Willis's work a great deal; I'll have to read Doomsday Book again with that in mind!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed the article!

#55068 - 04/28/03 03:31 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
eanja
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA, USA

This is one of those books I've been meaning to read forever- it was one of my mother's favorite's when she was young as well, and she recommended it to me a couple of decades ago. Of course, her copy is in German, which may have something to do w/ my never having quite got round to it (I could read it, but it would take a lot more concentration than reading in English, and it's awfully long.)

But since I've been reminded of it, maybe I'll bump it back up on the reading list (but probably in English if the library has it.) Thank you for that.

#55069 - 04/27/04 08:55 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I was having a conversation with one of my co-workers in which we were pressing books on each other. The second book she recommended to me was Kristin Lavransdatter. To which I replied "Oh! We had an article on that at chicklit!"

Two weeks ago, I was at the Library Book Sale, and what do you know, there was a hardcover copy of all three volumes just waiting to go home with me. The edition was purchased by the library in 1960 and has been well-read many times. Considering the fact that there's a huge, active Norwegian (Swedish and Danish too) community here in Seattle, that's none too surprising.

I just started it yesterday, it looks to be a good long read.

Oh, and my friend at work had no idea that a film had been made, and was very happy to be pointed to the article.

#55070 - 04/28/04 02:41 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
TrudyJ
Ching Shih

Loc: Newfoundland

My cousin and I both ploughed through all 1000 pages of Kristin Lavransdattir about 10 years ago. I can remember us reading and discussing it, but I have to admit that when I read the plot summary in the article, it didn't ring any bells ... so obviously I didn't retain much of the story!
#55071 - 04/28/04 02:41 PM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter
AcademiaNut
Ching Shih

I got TOTALLY hooked on these books years ago. I was pregnant with one kid or the other, so it was either 20 or 22 years ago. It was one of the very few times that I've had the "sucked into a vortex and can't get out" feeling while reading. I was so "into" that world, that I thought in Kristin Lavransdatter-like sentences. Very scary. Somewhere in that same time frame, DH found copies of the books in Norwegian. I can't even pretend to understand Norwegian, but I think it's way cool to have these books.
#87210 - 12/16/08 09:19 AM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter [Re: AcademiaNut]
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

I discovered this book last year and loved it so much that after reading the Archer English translation I ran out and bought and sucked down the Nunnally translation. It's not often that a book inspires me to do that.

I didn't know that this was one of Connie Willis' favorites, but I can see how it would have influenced her Doomsday novel.

#87212 - 12/16/08 09:30 AM Re: Paper Jam: Kristin Lavransdatter [Re: Ludmilla]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Ludmilla, I've been wanting to try Kristin Lavransdatter too. Now you've totally intrigued me by mentioning Connie Willis and Doomsday Book! Which of the two translations did you prefer?
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: