Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#55436 - 11/10/05 09:44 AM [Book Bundle] The Playwright's the Thing: A Book Bundle for Bardophiles
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Elizabeth Frank reviews a spate of new books on Shakespeare . "Since I’m not all that scholarly, and am bored by the argument that Shakespeare did not write his plays, I bring you four books that meet a Bardophile’s common needs: an engaging biography, an excellent play-by-play (in the literal use), a useful guide to the actor with insight that extends to the audience, and a memoir from a painfully lonely kid whose life was transformed by ten monosyllabic words."
#55437 - 11/10/05 11:41 AM Re: [Book Bundle] The Playwright's the Thing: A Book Bundle for Bardophiles
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

What a great book bundle -- I've been dipping sporadically into the Marjorie Garber and I really find her analysis very useful and interesting to read. And I've read so many good reviews of the Greenblatt - you've just re-inforced why I need to read it sooner rather than later. I currently have the audio version of the Renaissance company's production of Lear in my car (good for a blustery November). The cast is just amazing - Gielgud as Lear, Judi Dench as Goneril and Branagh as Edmund - so evil. I just love it.
#55438 - 11/11/05 01:51 PM Re: [Book Bundle] The Playwright's the Thing: A Book Bundle for Bardophiles
TrudyJ
Ching Shih

Loc: Newfoundland

Great book bundle! I had Shakespeare After All on the head of my bed for most of the summer but I was actually trying to read it straight through and of course got daunted by the length and density ... I wish now I still had it so I could try dipping into it mroe casually, especially as I'm now teaching A Midsummer Night's Dream, a play I don't know as well as some others.

Hamlet's Dresser sounds wonderful ... I hadn't heard of it and would really like to read it.

#55439 - 12/11/05 06:05 PM Re: [Book Bundle] The Playwright's the Thing: A Book Bundle for Bardophiles
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Los Angeles

I read the Book Bundle article, and doubtless it's part of why I'm now reading Will in the World. I've never bought the "Shakespeare wasn't Shakespeare" argument, and I'm finding Greenblatt's book intriguing and readable. In fact, it made me want to buy the other Shakespeare-focused books that were next to it in Brentanos the other night.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: