Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#55450 - 07/21/06 07:56 AM [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

New contributor Sónia Pereira (aka catalog with hair) reviews four books by women with eating disorders . "Some women simply yo-yo from diet to diet, basing the quality of each passing day on how close the scale is to some magical number. Others somehow slip into the shadowy world of full-blown eating disorders, existing on two hundred calories a day, vomiting their forty-dollar dish of steak tartare into the toilet, and examining the contours of their hipbones, collarbones, and rib cages with a caress loaded with both tenderness and revulsion."

I know that a lot of people here have read Wasted and Appetites and perhaps some of you have read the two other Sonia covers. Feel free to discuss other eating disorder books and memoirs in this thread too.

#55451 - 07/24/06 04:13 PM Re: [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
Sincerity
Ching Shih

Loc: Dallas, TX

I'm a big fan of eating disorder books and memoirs, I don't know why. I went through a time when I was pretty obsessed with calories and food intake and all of that, but I've gotten better about it.

Wasted and Stick Figure are two of my favorite of the eating disorder "genre" of books. I prefer the memoirs to the more scientific books - they seem to be warmer to me.

#55452 - 07/26/06 07:44 PM Re: [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
Greer
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Syracuse

Devastating. I often read books like these, though I have never suffered an eating disorder. Luckily, I don't have that kind of dedication.

I went to college with a girl who vomited so often that she wore the enamel off of her teeth. I wanted to hug her, but I was afraid I would break her bones.

I could read a million of these books and never really understand.

#55453 - 07/27/06 09:57 PM Re: [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
essay
Ching Shih

Wonderful book bundle, Sonia, though as Greer says, a devastating subject. Every time I think about these topics, I realize that feminism still has a very long way to go. Interior feminism, or being fiercely on the side of the woman that is you, whatever her size or shape or tendencies, is still unexplored territory for a lot of women--maybe even most women. I was going to say all women, but I am optimistic that there are a few independent souls who have cast away the chains out there somewhere.
#55454 - 07/27/06 09:57 PM Re: [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
essay
Ching Shih

Sorry, I actually have no idea how I double posted.
#55455 - 08/17/06 02:26 PM Re: [Book Bundle] You Can Never Be Too Thin: An Eating Disorder Book Bundle
always-anne-shirley
Ching Shih

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee

I'm a survivor of anorexia, and I think Marya Hornbacher's take on it is the most insightful and accurate piece I've ever read. It's not about one issue ("control"), it's about a person's whole life.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  deborah 
Hop to: