Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#56800 - 10/06/02 12:39 PM Guilty movie pleasures
jmslsu01
Ching Shih

I have guilty movie pleasures. I'm talking about the kind that you would be embarrassed to admit to enjoying. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has these guilty pleasures. I *know* these are cheesy,god-awful movies,but I'm sorry,I enjoy them. So,here we go:

-Dirty Dancing. Stop laughing at me. This has some of the worst dialogue in recent memory,and most of it is directed to Jennifer Grey. I just joined the Columbia House DVD club,and this was one of my selections. I just watched it several days ago for the umpteenth time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

-Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ferris is cool. I love the scene in the fancy restaurant. Whatever happened to Mia Sara?

-A Little Princess-the latest one,not the BBC production (which I haven't seen and I've heard that it is excellent). It's quite different from the book-which I loved as a child,and normally I dislike that kind of thing. But this is such a beautiful movie,and the little girls are just precious without that child-actor cuteness about them,that I adore this movie. The soundtrack is lovely-Patrick Doyle is the composer (I also love his score for Much Ado About Nothing-a movie that I love,but it's not a guilty pleasure).

-Top Gun. Ranks up there with Dirty Dancing on the cheesy factor. But whenever TBS decides to run this for a month,I'm right there with them.

Anyone else? C'mom,'fess up. You know you have them.

Jenn (I think I forgot to put the extra 'n' on my previous post. This is how I normally sign notes.)

-

#56801 - 10/07/02 10:12 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

it's not so much that I am embarrassed to admit enjoying some movies, its more that I don't want to admit to watching them so many times;

Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
Pleasentville
and persuasion are definatly my worst.

I hate telling someone, when they call and ask what I'm doing, that I'm watching one of these movies. They might more that I am a bit too obsessive.

#56802 - 10/07/02 01:51 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
Kasa
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

My Best Friend is a Vampire. Pure cheese, and pure cheese with Robert Sean Leonard at that. Gourmet pig's blood is sold in the back of your local supermarket, if you just know the right people.
#56803 - 10/07/02 08:55 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
sunflwrpdx
Ching Shih

Loc: Portland, OR

Could the National Lampoon "Vacation" series be considered a guilty pleasure? I love those movies. (Except the Vegas one. It sucked.) The one where the Griswolds go to Europe is my favorite. It's a classic. (Of course, your mileage may vary.)

I love "Basic Instinct" too. Total trash, but damn, is it entertaining. And it takes place in San Francisco, one of my favorite cities.

#56804 - 10/07/02 09:58 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Bring It On? Please come pick up your thread. Heh. I love this movie, and I can't even explain why. Is it Eliza Dushku? Yeah. Kirsten Dunst? Yeah. Was I a cheerleader or even like cheerleaders when I was in high school? No.
#56805 - 10/07/02 11:12 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
jmslsu01
Ching Shih

Catness-
I love Bring it On. Legally Blonde is also another one-I heard that a sequel is in the works.

And I wasn't a cheerleader either.

Jenn

#56806 - 10/08/02 02:21 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
goo
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Any cheesy teen movie. I was way too cool to watch movies like 'Bring It On' or 'Legally Blonde' when I was in the age group they're actually aimed at, but now I'm making up for lost time My partner hates coming to the videoshop with me - I'm totally embarrassing.

Nat

#56807 - 10/08/02 09:39 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Word to Dirty Dancing. My sister and I will watch this a million times a weekend if it's on one of the American superstations.

We also love Illegally Yours with a young (and much less chiseled) Rob Lowe.

One of my favourite movies is The Pirate Movie with Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins. It's a totally cheesy take-off of Pirates of Penzance with 'risque' lyrics. I love it. It's so bad, but it always makes me feel so good! The smart and slightly nerdy girl gets the guy - how can you lose?

I think I must see Bring It On. So many women I know love this movie, but I have never seen it!

Edited to add that I also love 10 Things I Hate About You, but didn't include it the first time because I didn't realize it was anything I needed to feel guilty about!

[This message has been edited by StephA (edited October 08, 2002).]

#56808 - 10/08/02 10:04 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
Anonymous Unregistered

Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock. I especially love the part where she leaps from the stage, clad in laderhausen, in slow-motion. I've seen this movie waay too many times.

Also, Save The Last Dance - embarrassing becuase I am much too old for this genre. But not too mature, I guess. Ballet vs. hip hop!

Edited to correct Ms. Bullock's name - it's not Bollock...

[This message has been edited by Jane.J (edited October 15, 2002).]

#56809 - 10/08/02 12:25 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Any movie in which our heroine discovers her true inner strength and sense of self (not to mention the love of a cute boy who canít act) through the power of song and/or dance Ė I am so there. So, yeah Ė Save the Last Dance, Center Stage, Bring It On Ė Iíll even watch the bad made-for-VH1 movies if I donít have anything better to do. Yeah, I know, flossing my teeth in a tutu would probably be something ďbetter to do.Ē

Even I have my limits, though Ė I have never seen Glitter, and do not expect that to change anytime soon.

Iím also a sucker for 10 Things I Hate About You. I canít even begin to explain it, but if itís on TV, I am lost for two hours. There is at least one redemptive quality to this movie Ė itís one of the few teen movies where the independent, intelligent woman isnít transformed into a simpering girlfriend by the application of hair dye and the tweezing of her eyebrows. So, I donít feel nearly as guilty watching this one as I would for, say, Sheís All That. Not that I ever watched that one. Nope, not me.

Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, harper 
Hop to: