Page 18 of 21 « First<1617181920>Last »
Topic Options
#56970 - 05/06/05 04:04 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
DreadPirate
Ching Shih

Loc: Lanham, MD, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistral:
If liking The Emporer's New Groove is wrong, then I don't want to be right. That movie cracks me up every time, and I think it gets funnier the more I watch it - there's just so much there.
Agreed. Best Disney film since Aladdin, I think. I loved the "Perils of Penelope Pitstop"-style chase, and the diner scene, in particular. Oh, and the octopus guard.

#56971 - 05/06/05 10:54 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
HelenLovesChickLit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh, I forgot about The Mirror Has Two Faces. I could repeatedly watch my darling Jeff Bridges bumbling around with Babs...and I have. I really should pick up the DVD. My tape's worn out.

GingerCat, I did a knee-jerk thing, and stuck Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind into a "guilty pleasure" category because it stars Jim Carrey...and the association with him has always been gross-out/slapstick/potty humour. I can't say I've watched Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls more than once (so it's really not a guilty pleasure of mine), HOWEVER, I did insanely laugh my butt off when the monks began partying as soon as Ace announced he was leaving the sanctuary. "Denial is an ugly thing." A hilarious moment.

I have found myself staring a bit too long at Kate Winslet's roots in Eternal Sunshine, wondering why she didn't do her whole head orange. Would've been less distracting for me. But I do love, love, love the movie.

#56972 - 05/07/05 09:17 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
michelleb
Ching Shih

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I am soooo happy to see Hudson Hawk and Girls Just Want to Have Fun mentioned here. I thought I was the only one!!!

Other guilty pleasures include:

Desperately Seeking Susan
Grease 2 - "Where does the pollen go?"
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Cry Baby - "Can we take Wanda the fuck home?"

Oh, and anything with Hilary Duff in it.

#56973 - 05/07/05 10:52 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
angelghost
Ching Shih

Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Most of mine are horror/cult movies, with some cheesy sci-fi/fantasy in the mix.

Pink Flamingos
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Blood Feast
Spider Baby
Andy Warhol's Frankenstein
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Dreamscape
Battle Beyond the Stars
Red Dawn (even though it totally goes against my politics)
The Toxic Avenger
Clash of the Titans
The Black Hole
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-rama
Night of the Demons
1990: The Bronx Warriors
Flash Gordon (the disco one with the Queen soundtrack)
Night of the Comet
Monster Squad
Conan the Barbarian (Arnie)
Re-Animator
and virtually anything from Full Moon or Troma

OK, I don't really feel that much guilt about most of those.

#56974 - 05/08/05 03:53 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
Crescent Moon
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

Dude, I loved the Monster Squad when I was a kid! I'm so glad someone outside my family has seen it. I'm disappointed it's not on dvd because I really want to see it again.
#56975 - 05/14/05 10:48 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
HelenLovesChickLit
Ching Shih

Bollywood movies. I just watched Kal Ho Na Ho. Yes, it was silly and melodramatic, but my normally stoic husband and I were dancing and laughing through the whole thing.
Give 'em a try!

#56976 - 05/14/05 11:16 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
essay
Ching Shih

Oh, Bollywood movies are the best. We had one staff member who was obsessed with them and has progressively infected about a dozen of us with this great pleasure. Everytime I hear the word Bollywood, I realize that I am in dire need of a viewing!

And for anyone similarly obsessed, check out my friend's fine website:
http://www.bollywood501.com/index.html

#56977 - 05/16/05 05:56 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
liz_isabella
Ching Shih

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

If it's by Disney, features John Cusack or is a romantic comedy, the chances are I'll play it over and over and over again until I can quote large chunks of the screenplay. Some of my favourites include:
10 things I hate about you (C'mon! Snappy dialogue! Heath Ledger! "It's just a party, daddy." "And hell is just a sauna")
Virtual Sexuality
Grosse Pointe Blanke (Shakabuku baby!)
Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones
The Emperor's New Groove (Demon llama! Demon llama!), The Lion King and my all time absolute I own it and still want to buy the special dvd edition Beauty and the Best.
I love guilty pleasures. Nothing makes me happier than breaking out a deliciously smelly pizza, a big comfy couch and my old favourites.

#56978 - 05/16/05 07:42 AM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I refuse to class Grosse Pointe Blank as a guilty pleasure! Or at least, I feel no guilt in the pleasure it gives me. And Joan Cusack is a genius, in general.
#56979 - 05/19/05 10:31 PM Re: Guilty movie pleasures
HelenLovesChickLit
Ching Shih

I just watched The Decline of the American Empire (subtitled in English), directed by Denys Arcand. Highly, highly recommended - it SMOKES The Big Chill, IMHO. It also gave me a John Irving-esque casual-wife-swapping vibe, which is always entertaining.

Page 18 of 21 « First<1617181920>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, harper 
Hop to: