Page all of 11 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#58327 - 09/28/04 12:13 AM What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I was surprised I couldn't find a topic like this listed, so I figured I'd add it. Under this category, I include CDs, tapes, records, music DVDs or videos. Heck, if you just got some great 78's or old wax cylinders or those little, colorful, Fisher-Price plastic records, they'd fit in, too.

Here are several of my recent purchases/trades (all CDs, except the last title):
Black Dice Creature Comforts
The Decemberists Her Majesty the Decemberists
The Detroit Cobras Mink Rat or Rabbit
The Dillinger Escape Plan Miss Machine
Eels Shootenanny!
Explosions in the Sky The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
Franz Ferdinand Franz Ferdinand
Audrey Hepburn Music from the Films of Audrey Hepburn
Jolie Holland Catalpa
The (International) Noise Conspiracy The First Conspiracy
Daniel Johnston The Early Recordings Volume 1: Songs of Pain and More Songs of Pain
Manifold Departures and Arrivals
Mastodon Leviathan
Old 97s Drag It Up
Radio 4 Stealing of a Nation
Cathy Rivers Ascensión
Sahara Hotnights Kiss & Tell
Snow Patrol Final Straw
Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros Streetcore
TV On The Radio Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
The Wrens The Meadowlands
Pure Funk compilation
Rykodisc Twentieth Anniversary compilation
Social Distortion Live in Orange County DVD

How about you?

#58328 - 09/28/04 12:58 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

This is a great topic, and we really don’t have anything like it. In order to make this thread even more interesting and helpful, please try to add a line or two about some of your recent acquisitions. Why did you buy them? What is your opinion of the music?

I have been on a self-imposed music-buying freeze for the past several months, and it has been painful. I splurged on P.J. Harvey’s Uh Huh Her a while back, and was a little disappointed with it. Although I like the way she alternates between raw and more polished albums, this one seemed raw to the point of unfinished.

I also grabbed Franz Ferdinand’s self-titled album, which is catchy and ear-wormy to the point of auditory addiction. I can’t seem to get tired of it, no matter how many times I play it. I know it’s not groundbreaking in any way, but I do love it.

I’ve been salivating over Final Straw and Drag It Up for a while. I’ve been a fan of both bands for years, but am uncertain if I should buy their new albums. Angelghost, did it seem to you as if the albums showed evolution and growth, or were they more of the same? It would be much kinder to my budget if I could throw on When It’s All Over We Still Have to Clear Up or Wreck Your Life and get a similar effect.

#58329 - 09/28/04 03:11 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

I picked up Dillinger Escape Plan's Miss Machine because I really liked their previous album, Calculating Infinity. Mastodon, while sounding quite a bit different, is also a good, solid, loud band. These two bands are like contemporary metal/hardcore, but with brains.

I got the Social Distortion DVD because I've been a big Social D. fan for years, and I've been waiting for nearly eight years for them to release something new. The DVD shows the newest lineup playing incredibly solid punk rock 'n' roll. Mike Ness even dedicates a song to Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone, and another to dear departed guitarist Dennis Danell. It makes me eager to finally hear the new album, which is supposed to come out today.

Some of the music I bought because of good write-ups in trusted magazines: TV On The Radio, Black Dice, Radio 4, and The Wrens fall into this category. The first three are quirky and entertaining in varying ways. The Wrens, while not being technically "emo," are what emo probably should sound like.

I picked up Jolie Holland's first CD, as well as Cathy Rivers' latest CD ep, at the show I saw by them last month. Both are great alt-folk/country/blues in their ways.

I picked up the Decemberists and Eels, because a friend with good taste thinks they're both great. I haven't heard enough of either to really say my impression.

I got the Audrey Hepburn CD because I had been looking for her version of "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's and not even the soundtrack to that movie has it. Audrey is my all-time favorite actress, anyway, so it's nice to have a sampler of music from her films.

Manifold is one of my favorite current local rock bands. They're loud and heavy, without really being metal, punk, or industrial-sounding.

I finally picked up Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros' Streetcore, after surrendering to the fact that it wasn't going to go down in price anywhere. The Clash are probably one of my top five favorite bands. I liked the previous Mescaleros album, Global A Go-Go, and I think this one is even better. It is very possibly Strummer's best work since London Calling. I'm not saying it's anywhere near as great as that album, but I like it better than Sandinista or Combat Rock, or certainly anything after that.

A friend who is really into punk rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, psychobilly, etc. recommended Detroit Cobras and the (International) Noise Conspiracy to me. Both, simply put, rock. She also recommended Franz Ferdinand, and I saw it for six bucks off the regular price, so I bought it, and was very pleasantly surprised, as it doesn't sound like anything I would expect this friend to usually suggest to me.

I got the Pure Funk and Rykodisc comps because I couldn't resist the track listings. Pure Funk has most of the great funk classics that I, as a non-aficionado, know and love. As for the Rykodisc collection, it's like a great double-CD Chicklit mix: David Bowie, Sugar, Misfits, Morphine, Golden Smog, Devo, They Might Be Giants, Kelly Willis, The Replacements, Nils Lofgren, Nick Drake, Robert Cray, Badfinger, Big Star, The Fire Theft, Frank Zappa, Richard Thompson, Josh Rouse, Yoko Ono, Medeski Martin & Wood, The Jayhawks, Mission of Burma, Jimi Hendrix, Alejandro Escovedo, Joe Jackson Band, Cubanismo, Bruce Cockburn, John Cale, Mickey Hart, Bill Hicks...and more! I've rarely seen any comp with so many great highlights.

Daniel Johnston probably has a stronger reputation as a weirdo, "outsider" artist, which he is, than he does for the fact that he's a really great songwriter and performer. He's certainly not for all tastes, but he fits mine. Kurt Cobain was a big fan, too.

Explosions In the Sky are great atmospheric, post-Pink Floyd rock. Definitely recommended for fans of Mogwai and Sigur Ros.

I loved Sahara Hotnights' Jennie Bomb CD. It sounded like the Runaways but better. Kiss & Tell is a little bit more poppy sounding, which is actually to their advantage, because the songs are even catchier. This is a really good one.

And, finally, to answer sunflow's question about the Old 97s and Snow Patrol albums. I like pretty much everything by the Old 97s or Rhett Miller. I saw them open for Social D. about seven years ago and they were fantastic, even if (especially since) much of the audience wasn't very impressed. Rhett even dedicated a song to the "fuck you" guy. Anyway, Drag It Up is good, solid alt-country-rock, like they've always played. It's not a tremendous evolution, no, but it's damn good music. This is the first I've heard of Snow Patrol. I picked it up for three reasons: they're playing here soon, it was on sale for $7.98, and the store offered a money-back guarantee on it. It's okay. It's nice, mellow. None of it really caught my ear that much. I'll probably keep it for a while to see if it's a grower. I won't be getting my money back, but it might not survive past the next big CD trade.

Oh yeah, and I like P J Harvey's latest, because I tend to like "raw." The third song sounds like she's been hanging out with Sonic Youth. Speaking of which, I love Sonic Youth's new album, Sonic Nurse.

OK, I'll stop now.

#58330 - 09/28/04 05:23 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I've been on a similar music-buying freeze, although that hasn't stopped me from buying DVDs. Lately, however, I've acquired the Garden State soundtrack, which I love, because I can play the movie in my head as I listen (besides which, it's just got great music on it, much of it by artists I've never heard of before).

deborah has introduced me to Taleb Kwali. I haven't had a chance to give it all a proper listen yet, and I get the feeling that knowing the lyrics is going to make a difference in how much I appreciate the music. It'll be interesting to see if he does end up opening for the Beasties here as well as on their U.S. tour.

And I got the Band's greatest hits, because I have a lot of those songs live, but not the studio versions and I wanted to compare. Next up, I'm on a hunt for the soundtracks to Lightning in a Bottle and Festival Express.

#58331 - 09/28/04 08:51 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
carrotbat
Ching Shih

I picked up Mark Knopfler's latest album, Shangri-La, at lunch today. It's the first CD I've bought since last November, so I figure I'm entitled. There's very few artists I'll buy without having heard, but he's one of them. After one listen I'm liking but not loving it, which is to be expected with his music; I know it'll grow on me. As with his past albums, there's a lot of songs about or from the POV of one person -- this time he picks on the guy who founded McDonalds and a politician giving advice to his successor, as well as the usual working class folks that seem to make their way into his music. I don't think it will top Sailing to Philadelphia as my favorite of his solo albums, but I'll enjoy it anyway.
#58332 - 09/29/04 09:30 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

Quote:
Originally posted by beastiegirl:

deborah has introduced me to Taleb Kwali. I haven't had a chance to give it all a proper listen yet, and I get the feeling that knowing the lyrics is going to make a difference in how much I appreciate the music. It'll be interesting to see if he does end up opening for the Beasties here as well as on their U.S. tour.
beastiegirl I enjoy Taleb Kwali a great deal. I read an article, maybe Rolling Stone, that said that he is the "conscience of rap". I first heard him when I was at a taping for "Showtime at the Apollo". I enjoyed his music very much and his new album is one of the few that I will actually purchase this year.

#58333 - 09/29/04 09:11 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Wow, everyone here is such purists... I feel mainstream by comparison.

yesterday I bought the new one from Paranoid Social Club, which most east coasters and college town people know used to be the Rustic Overtones.

I also recently purchased the new Beastie Boys, which has taken some warming up to, but I'm liking it. Others incluse The Queens of the Stone Age, "Songs for the Deaf" - which is excellent for listening to just before working a waitressing shift. Also, two months ago I finally bought Jurassic 5, Power in Numbers - (kicks ass...)

#58334 - 09/30/04 01:53 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

betso26, I love QOTSA's Song for the Deaf and J5's Power in Numbers. What exactly do you mean by "purists?"
#58335 - 10/01/04 05:28 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Narusegawa
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Warren, Michigan

angelghost, you just sold me on Streetcore. I've been thinking about it for a while. I did just pick up the London Calling reissue to replace an ancient cassette. I haven't stopped listening to the original disc long enough to get to the extra material.

I also bought the new Paul Westerberg album, and I haven't decided if I like it as well as previous stuff or not. Same trip to the record store, my husbans got the Dresden Dolls' CD and the new one from New Found Glory, neither of which I found to be particularly listenable. I may have to give the Dresden Dolls another try, since I have read some good reviews.

#58336 - 10/01/04 07:00 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
I finally picked up Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros' Streetcore, after surrendering to the fact that it wasn't going to go down in price anywhere. The Clash are probably one of my top five favorite bands. I liked the previous Mescaleros album, Global A Go-Go, and I think this one is even better. It is very possibly Strummer's best work since London Calling. I'm not saying it's anywhere near as great as that album, but I like it better than Sandinista or Combat Rock, or certainly anything after that.
Probably, Angelghost? Probably?

I agree on Streetcore. I picked it up the day it came out, knowing it was Strummer's last album. Global-a-Go-Go was in heavy rotation at our house for nearly a year, despite its uneven qualities. But Streetcore is great from beginning to end. I often start out my mornings with "Arms Aloft" and end it with "Ramshackle Day Parade."

The album makes me terribly sad at the same time it brings such joy. It speaks of a musician truly hitting his prime in voice and his stride songwriting skill. You can really see where he was going musically and it's awful that we'll never have any more.

I recently added Cee-Lo Green to our collection. I'm not a big fan of hip-hop, but Mr Catness got to know a lot of those Atlanta guys when he lived in Atlanta (he was the VIP bartender in a hip-hop club). The Goodie Mob was one he was fond of and earlier this year, when I was choosing a tattoo artist, they were playing Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine in the shop. It's a great blend of hip-hop, old style funk, and some rock. Green has the requisite smooth-yet-gravelly voice for funk. And the music is great. Seamless samples, complicated beats. All round good album.

#58337 - 10/01/04 10:22 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
xenopi
Ching Shih

Loc: Paradise City

Of all of Strummer's Mescaleros albums, I think Streetcore is the best. And think, the vocal tracks were just f-ing around on some of those and the album was completed after he died. Wonder how much better it could have been? His other Mescalero albums have flashes of greatness but don't hold a candle.

After seeing Bobby Bare, Jr. live last month I added him to our library. Other recent additions are an XTC import/rarities album and a random Make Up cd (can you tell I pick through the used bin?).

I've also added Luna's Penthouse . Awesome cover of Serge Gainsbourg's "Bonnie and Clyde." It's top-down-at-night driving music.

#58338 - 10/01/04 10:30 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Narusegawa, they re-issued London Calling on CD again? A friend of mine has the first CD release of it, which has no bells or whistles, including no lyrics or anything. Mine, which is a 1999 re-issue, has much improved sound quality and the lyric sheet reprinted from the records. It doesn't have any "extra" material.

I love the Replacements, but am kind of off and on with Westerberg's (or other former members') post-Mats work. I would have to hear the new one by him before I bought it. I don't know Dresden Dolls. New Found Glory...I'll just put it simply that I'm really not a fan of most of the so-called "pop-punk" I hear these days (paraphrasing the old Wendy's commercial: Where's the punk?).

Catness, if I decide that Johnny Cash and Tom Waits are not "bands," then The Clash are actually about tied for first, with Ramones--and that will always flip-flop, based on whim: in fact, those four favorites alternate, depending on my mood. However, some really close contenders are the original Black Sabbath, X, Devo, Sonic Youth, and The Damned.

I saw the Goodie Mob open for Fishbone and De La Soul at a little club. Probably needless to say that it was a great show.

I have to wait at least a week to get any more new CDs. I'm looking forward to picking up the new Social Distortion.

#58339 - 10/02/04 01:10 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

Somewhere along the line I stopped buying music. Since I sent my stereo to Goodwill a couple of months ago, it's probably for the best.

However, my computer does allow me to play CD's. The last three I bought were Dar Williams' "The Beauty of the Rain," and two by Leonard Cohen: "The Essential Leonard Cohen" (going for the biggest bang for the buck there) and "10 New Songs."

I downloaded a couple of Rufus Wainwright songs and want to buy a cd or two, but don't know where to start. However, there's another thread for that. ;\)

#58340 - 10/02/04 10:59 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Narusegawa
Gráinne ni Mhaille

angelghost, the new London Calling has the original disc, another disc of rehearsal tracks and a handful of previously unreleased songs, and a DVD documentary on the making of the album. It has the reprint of the lyric sheet as well as a liner book with essays on the band and heretofore unpublished Pennie Smith photos. It cost a little more than I was planning on spending, but I would considered the original LP alone to be worth the twenty-five dollars anyway.

I run hot and cold on post-Replacements Westerberg myself. Most of his albums have run pretty hot and cold-- one or two songs are fantastic and the rest seem like afterthoughts. Folker is kind of the same. I'm not sorry I bought it, but I think I'll have to listen to his next one all the way through before I pony up for it.

I agree with you on New Found Glory. "Where's the punk", indeed. Bleh.

Perthelia, I recommend Want One by Rufus Wainwright. I haven't heard his previous CDs all the way through, but that one didn't leave my player for about six weeks after I bought it. Gorgeous stuff. I think Want Two is due out in November and I'm really looking forward to it.

#58341 - 10/03/04 12:37 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

I saw a review of the "new" London Calling in "Spin" magazine, which I was perusing at the library today. So, I guess it's really new. Now I don't feel so bad for not knowing about it. Is it, by any chance, a Rhino release? I absolutely love what Rhino does with music, regardless of genre or performer.
#58342 - 10/06/04 08:11 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Narusegawa
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Nope, the new London Calling was put out by Sony/Epic. Which makes sense because I think they distribute the Clash's entire catalog. I agree with you about Rhino, though, angelghost. I haven't heard anything from Rhino that I've disliked. Their 80's box set if fantastic and I've been jonesing for the 70's punk box.
#58343 - 10/15/04 12:52 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Yesterday, I found an irresistable box set put out by Rhino Records called, Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the 80s Underground.

It has a total of 82 songs by: R.E.M., The Jam, The Cure, Dead Kennedys, Passions, The Replacements, Mission of Burma, X, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Depeche Mode, The Dream Syndicate, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, New Order, Japan, Magazine, Aztec Camera, Husker Du, Black Flag, Wall of Voodoo, The Go-Betweens, Pretenders, Ultravox, Dinosaur Jr, The Smiths, Ministry, Lone Justice, Killing Joke, Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark, The English Beat, The Raincoats, The Smithereens, Minutemen, The Dead Milkmen, Concrete Blonde, Joy Division, Violent Femmes, Meat Puppets, The dB's, Prefab Sprout, The Cramps, The Sisters of Mercy, XTC, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bad Brains, The Sugarcubes, Robyn Hitchcock 'n' the Egyptians, Faith No More, Sonic Youth, Gang of Four, The Feelies, They Might Be Giants, The Chameleons UK, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Rain Parade, Psychedelic Furs, The Church, Public Image Ltd., Love and Rockets, Green on Red, Throbbing Gristle, The Stone Roses, Pixies, The The, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Minor Threat, The Lyres, Beat Happening, Jane's Addiction, Julian Cope, Kate Bush, Gun Club, Camper Van Beethoven, Suicidal Tendencies, Cocteau Twins, Happy Mondays, Hoodoo Gurus, Descendents, The Pogues, The Three O'Clock, Butthole Surfers, and Billy Bragg.

Being that my '80s growing-up years were spent listening to various and increasingly heavier forms of metal mixed with a lot of punk and hardcore music, I wasn't super-familiar with many of these bands, except by name, until I opened up a lot more in the '90s. By that time, it seemed a daunting task to try to catch up with all of it while keeping up with what was happening presently. This is a sequel of sorts to last year's (or earlier this year's?) incredible No Thanks! box set of pre-1980 punk and punkish music. In a way, this one is more intriguing to me because much of the music on the earlier box set has been part of my world for over half my life, while this is relatively new to me. Granted, I know most of the songs on Left of the Dial, but I don't have very many of them--especially the numerous tracks that were released as singles--and it's cool to have 'em all at one place, where I can fantasize about what it would have been like to be one of the "college radio" listeners, getting all this stuff fresh.

#58344 - 10/15/04 08:04 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
erato
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia area

Hem-Eveningland
Sam Phillips-A Boot and a Shoe.

#58345 - 10/15/04 05:57 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Quote:
Originally posted by angelghost:
betso26, I love QOTSA's Song for the Deaf and J5's Power in Numbers. What exactly do you mean by "purists?"
I guess purist isn't the right word.. but my tastes seem to run more into the mainstream than many here when it comes to music... call me uncomplicated. I'm not saying that J5 or QOTSA are like Britney Spears, but they aren't exactly on the cutting edge either. I'm not knocking anyone's tastes whatsoever - I'm humbled. I think I need to get out more -- or at least try some of these reccommendations.

#58346 - 10/23/04 08:49 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Marya
Ching Shih

Loc: Kentucky

Le Tigre - This Island (great dance-y, political, punky new wave-y stuff)

!!! - Louden Up Now

The Faint - Wet From Birth

Measles Mumps Rubella - self titled

#58347 - 10/26/04 01:36 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
fruitfly
Ching Shih

Loc: western mass

I'm currently obsessed with dance and oldies so... i'm waiting on a recent order of The Black Eyed Peas "Elephunk" and an old Blossom Dearie record.
Other than that the most recent are "La Segunda" by Lila Downed and the new Bjork (her best, by the way...)

#58348 - 10/26/04 09:50 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
mollymauk
Ching Shih

Loc: san francisco, ca

what's Blossom Dearie like fruitfly? I love her name. Was it a 45" that you picked up? Nothing better than oldies, really, at least for dancing.
#58349 - 10/27/04 09:52 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
fruitfly
Ching Shih

Blossom Dearie sings a lot of standards. She's got one of those 40's-50's things going on. I'll let you know how the cd is though you can probably hear her on amazon.
Right now my tape player is busted which stinks since I would love to make you a tape of retro tunes. It's really all I listen to but when I work out I need DISCO and anything with a beat (hence, the Black Eyed Peas).
My other faves include Jo Stafford, Anita O'Day, Carmen McCrae, Patti Page, Julie London, Eartha Kitt... the list goes on. As far as the dudes go, no one beats the King of Cool... Dean Martin. I have the biggest crush on him.

#58350 - 10/27/04 11:48 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Blossom Dearie has had an indefinite engagement at one of the NYC cabaret venues for a long time now, and the New York Times cabaret critic, Stephen Holden, loves her. Unfortunately, the cover at those places is ridiculously expensive, like $45 before the drink minimum.
#58351 - 10/27/04 01:00 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
fruitfly
Ching Shih

that's too bad... i would go despite the costs but have a little baby and don't feel too comfy leaving her for long right now. (about 2 hours from where i live)

#58352 - 10/28/04 01:13 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Peppermint
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

After a long period of thriftiness, I just ordered three new CDs that I'm really excited about: Neko Case's The Tigers Have Spoken; a collection of field recordings called High Atmosphere, which has been highly recommended to me; and Minnie Driver's Everything I've Got in My Pocket, which I had a chance to listen to several times for free. It's really lovely and relaxing---mostly mid- to slow-tempo songs---and while it's not earth shaking, I found that a couple of the songs were running through my head, so I figured I'd do my part to support Minnie Driver's recording career. Maybe then she can be a bit more choosy when picking scripts. \:\)
#58353 - 10/30/04 12:39 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I've been so good lately. hadn't purchased a single piece of music since I before I moved! So as a birthday present i got myself: Tony C. & The Truth - Demonophonic Blues, Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won, and Cake - Comfort Eagle.

Woot!

#58354 - 11/20/04 12:15 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
EssexGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I have just added Pietra Montecorvina Napoli Mediterranea.

Her voice is absolutely stunning. I heard the first track on a compilation from fRoots. I don't understand Italian but her voice and the music are just gorgeous.

Charlie Gillett provides some background

http://www.charliegillett.com/rotm.php?date=february04

#58355 - 11/21/04 11:24 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
erato
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia area

Sarah Slean-Day One

#58356 - 11/22/04 02:46 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

I'm happy to see some Blossom Dearie love in this thread--I'm lame and only found out about her through Kissing Jessica Stein, but I've gathered a decent mp3 collection of her songs since then. She's got such a unique voice--in the very best sense of the word.

Last week, I bought Rufus Wainwright's Want Two, the follow-up to last year's Want One. It's lush, gorgeous, andover the top, and eactly what I need for dark November nights.

The other recent acquisition has been the self-titled debut CD by The Ditty Bops , and I can't say enough good things about it. They're an impossibly cute duo who play 1920s-style music with a modern twist. If you're a fan of singers like Erin McKeown or Jolie Holland, or bands like the Be Good Tanyas, Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, or even Squirrel Nut Zippers, you'll probably dig the Ditty Bops, too.

#58357 - 11/24/04 03:31 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

I am quite enamored of some very recent purchases:

Social Distortion's Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll really rocks! Mike Ness and co. have shown that a band really can still make good quality punk rock 'n' roll.

I really like the melodies and harmonies and songwriting on Brian Wilson's Smile. For most of my life, I said I didn't like the Beach Boys; then, one day a couple of years ago, I sat down and really LISTENED to Pet Sounds and suddenly I "got" it. For those who don't know, Smile is supposed to be the legendary "never completed" post-Pet Sounds album.

Elliott Smith's final album, From a Basement on the Hill, is heartbreaking and beautiful, as expected. It's kind of hard to listen to, but it is so [very] good.

Bjork's latest bizarre entry, called Medulla, is also beautiful, dark, and haunting, but in a very different way from Elliott Smith. Most of the "instrumentation" is voice: Bjork's, of course, but also throat singers, Icelandic and London choirs, and Mike Patton's strange vocal stylings. The actual use of non-vocal instruments is very rare. If you like Bjork, this is an excellent album, if you don't like her, or don't like "experimental" music, this won't change your mind--it's still Bjork.

One of my absolute favorite albums of the '90s, Pavement's Crooked Rain Crooked Rain (also, my favorite Pavement album) has been re-released as a double CD, subtitled LA's Desert Origins. On the first disc, it has the complete 12-song album, sounding better than I've ever heard it (the kings of lo-fi may not even totally qualify as "lo-fi" on this one anymore), plus 12 more songs from the same time frame ('93-'94) that were featured on singles and compilations. The second disc has 21 previously unreleased tracks from the same era, plus four songs recorded by John Peel. It all sounds really good and is totally worth getting, whether you have the original album or are new to Pavement or anything in between. I got it for $14 and haven't seen it for more than $18 anywhere--not bad at all for a double-CD as great as this.

#58358 - 11/24/04 03:49 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Sweet Potato
Ching Shih

Loc: Germany

I just bought Yann Tiersen's "Rue des Cascades".

I really got hooked on his music after hearing the soundtrack to the Amelie movie.

#58359 - 11/26/04 01:18 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
listersgirl
Ching Shih

goovie, thanks for the link to the Ditty Bops! I'm totally in love.
#58360 - 01/22/05 02:06 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Catness
Ching Shih

*bump*
#58361 - 01/24/05 12:51 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

From muckluck30:
 Quote:
Okay now don't laugh....but has anyone heard the new Donny Osmond CD? I have never considered myself a huge fan but I heard some of the new songs through a friend at Universal and I actually quite liked them. Good music for relaxing with a nice glass of wine. If you haven't heard the album you can stream some of the songs at donny.com and tell me if you agree with me.

#58362 - 01/24/05 01:43 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Mr. Lud bought me a Dead Can Dance box set for the holidays which contains 3 music CDs and 1 DVD. Unfortunately, I just discovered that they sent me two of disc 2 and no disc 3. Now I need Mr. Lud to get his act together so we can send it back for the full and correct set. I hate it when that happens! Does anyone have experience returning merchandise to Amazon?

Last CD I bought was Sounds From the Ground's Luminal. It's atmospheric and we like it.

#58363 - 01/24/05 05:18 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

Quote:
I'm happy to see some Blossom Dearie love in this thread--I'm lame and only found out about her through Kissing Jessica Stein, but I've gathered a decent mp3 collection of her songs since then. She's got such a unique voice--in the very best sense of the word.
I discovered after seeing My Life Without Me and have been purchasing various songs of hers off of iTunes for several months now. She rocks.

I recently got a gift certificate to a media chainstore and used it to get Nellie McKay's Get Away From Me and Freaks and Geeks soundtrack.

#58364 - 01/24/05 05:42 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by graceless:
I recently got a gift certificate to a media chainstore and used it to get Nellie McKay's Get Away From Me and Freaks and Geeks soundtrack.
Both great CDs--I love Nellie, and the F&G soundtrack is just about everything it should be(except I still wish they had included Nick's monologue in "Lady.")

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Joanna Newsom, who's got a very cool, skewed-Appalachian sort of sound, combined with excellent harp playing and wonderfully odd songwriting.

#58365 - 01/25/05 01:15 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Interesting. I just bought TV soundtracks to Six Feet Under and Freaks and Geeks this evening. This brings my TV soundtrack collection up to a grand total of four! The others are Gilmore Girls and Twin Peaks. There aren't that many more TV shows I like(d), much less would have wanted the soundtracks.

For Freaks and Geeks, I like that along with the "real" songs featured in the show (by Joan Jett, Warren Zevon, Joe Jackson, XTC, Rush, The Who, Heatwave, Styx, and a bonus track by The Leaving Trains), there are plenty of music themes by Michael Andrews (Donnie Darko) and some of the special performances by the actors/characters. I was kind of hoping for the school marching band rendition of the Chicago song. I also would have liked the Black Flag song from when Daniel briefly went "punk" (OK, I have the song, but it would be nice on the soundtrack for completeness). I guess I can't have everything. Between Freaks and Geeks and The Virgin Suicides, I became a convert on ONE Styx song, "Come Sail Away," performed at important school dances in each show/film. The F&G soundtrack also reminded me of why I liked Rush so much in high school.

I haven't listened to the Six Feet Under CD yet, so I cannot review it.

#58366 - 01/25/05 10:20 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

angelghost, if you dig Michael Andrews, you should also check out the album by his band, Elgin Park .
#58367 - 01/26/05 05:32 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
graceless
Ching Shih

If you like Michael Andrews, also check out the Donnie Darko sountrack/score, I just got it for my birthday and it's awesome too.

#58368 - 01/27/05 06:29 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

I have had the Donnie Darko soundtrack for a couple years now. It gets frequently play in my apartment and at work. It is where I first heard Michael Andrews and Gary Jules. I'd like to get the non-U.S. (U.K.?) version of the soundtrack I saw on Amazon, though, which has an additional CD with all the great '80s songs that were featured in the movie.
#58369 - 05/18/05 08:12 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

I just bought the Decemberists' Picaresque CD, and listened to it this morning. Good stuff. Refreshingly different from mainstream, but with a retro 60s sort of melancholic storytelling, ballad-like flavor (can't think of the right words to use here to describe them) if that makes any sense.
#58370 - 05/26/05 10:15 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I've gotten two new CDs lately that are worth sharing. The first is the demo CD from a band called quietdrive , who opened for Puffy AmiYumi a few weeks ago. They're new, out of Minnesota, and I am loving the music. Their debut CD comes out this summer. (and you can download three of their songs from that website as well, although not my favorite of the ones on the demo.)

The other is the solo album from Rob Thomas (of Matchbox 20). If you like his voice or their music at all, I recommend this. I love it. All That I Am sends shivers when I hear it.

Otherwise, it's been Def Leppard and Gwen Stefani most of the last few months. It's not great stuff, but I like it.

Edited for UBB

#58371 - 05/28/05 07:27 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
JA fan in DC
Ching Shih

Loc: Washington, DC

My husband has disavowed me; my sister is still laughing at me, but I had to have it - IL DIVO! I swear "Unbreak My Heart" was meant to be sung in spanish by four classically trained guys from Europe.

#58372 - 06/03/05 05:54 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
EssexGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I have just taken receipt of 2 CDs by La Bottine Souriante courtesy of Amazon Canada: Cordial and 1976-2001 Anthologie. Marvellous, foot stomping music. I do wish I could play the accordeon (I am learning, but...).

I have been searching for ages, and then when my Chicklit t-shirts arrived, a light went on. I so envy those of you out there who have been able to see them live more frequently than we have done in the UK.

#58373 - 06/05/05 11:11 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Marya
Ching Shih

Loc: Kentucky

Sleater Kinney - The Woods

Ryan Adams - Cold Roses

Tegan and Sara - So Jealous

Ludmilla - if you like Decemberists, try The Zombies and The Left Banke.

#58374 - 06/05/05 12:10 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

After forcing myself to give up buying CDs for most of the year, I finally broke and bought several that I've been longing for since Christmas. I tell you, waiting that long is as much self-control as I ever show.

I rounded out my Snow Patrol collection with Final Straw and Songs For Polar Bears, both of which are very good, if not perfect. I also picked up Interpol's Antics. It's very good, and feels like an extension of their first album, which I loved. However, it is disappointingly short.

I also bought Mclusky's The Difference Between You and Me Is I Am Not On Fire, although I haven't listened to it yet, oddly enough. I love their prior album Mclusky Do Dallas, and I'm oddly afraid this one could not possibly be as good. I'll give it a try when I'm in a particularly open-minded mood.

Finally, I grabbed Foreign Affairs by Tom Waits. You know, I feel like I buy a Tom Waits album every other time I'm in the music store, and I STILL don't have all his albums. The man needs to take a vacation for a couple of years and let me finally catch up.

#58375 - 06/08/05 07:30 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Moby Hotel (2 disc version) I like this one a lot, although I think I'd like a little more techno to come back into some of his music. The first disc is all songs and the second disc is a lot of ambient music.

Sleater-Kinney The Woods It's Sleater-Kinney with their amps up to 11! As much as I love their earlier music, I've never heard them sound this powerful. I like this a lot, too.

#58376 - 06/09/05 09:01 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
ATP
Ching Shih

Loc: USA - Louisiana

Anna Nalick Wreck of the Day So good! I heard the song on the tv and had to have it.

John Legend Get Lifted Nice to hear plain soulful music again. Just him and his piano.

I might get the new DMB and Beth Hart CDs, but can't make my mind up yet. I will have one of them soon.

#58377 - 06/14/05 09:35 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Wagtail
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I just got hold of a number of Sleater Kinney CDs, so I no longer have to steal them from friends which, I am sure, they will be relieved to know. I have also ordered Michelle Malone's Stompin' Ground which I took a fancy to when I had a Napster subscription.
#58378 - 06/14/05 10:40 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Wow... Wagtail... I don't hear too many people mention Michelle Malone these days, but I don't keep up with music like I used to. I didn't know she had a new one out (relatively speaking). I'll have to check that out. I have Relentless, which is wonderful. It's old enough, I have it on cassette, but would love to find a CD version. I haven't looked to see if Napster has any of her old songs. If you like Michelle (or the Indigo Girls), you might also like Kristen Hall. Her old albums Fact & Fiction and Real Life Stuff are worth checking out if you can find them.

Back OT, Mr. Lud's latest CD purchase was Rammstein. I can't remember which one.

#58379 - 06/14/05 01:02 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

I will second the recommendation for Kristin Hall (especially for those of you who like Michelle Malone and the Indigo Girls). Speaking of the Girls, I finally got my hands on the new Amy Ray solo cd Prom and am really digging it. Also just added to the collection yesterday are the new eels and Martha Wainwright's debut cd. I like Martha's cd, but it is not at all what I was expecting. It's much more flowing and melodic, whereas I was expecting it have have a bit more of an edge to it. Good stuff, nonetheless.
#58380 - 07/14/05 01:54 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Sylver
Ching Shih

Loc: Lexington, KY

I hit a "Christmas in July" sale and got a bunch of Christmas music for .99 to 1.99 each! So I now have 6 new vocal and/or instrumental cds to add to my Christmas collection. \:D (plus I bought some as presents - yes, I start my shopping early!)
#58381 - 07/28/05 12:21 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goo
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

I've recently been given Ali Azmat's new CD Social Circus. I'm really liking it - it's hard and heavy in parts, funky, acoustic, beautifully melodic in others. I have no idea what the lyrics are about (he sings in Urdu), but his former band Junoon were apparently censored from Pakistani radio for their political songs, and used Sufi poetry for some of their lyrics, so that's all good.

I've also recently acquired a whole lot of Aussie hip-hop (Bias B, The Herd, Two-Up, Brothers Stoney, Resin Dogs - Hanging in the Westfield, dawg) and a 35 disc Jazz Greats CD box set.

I'm feeling very lucky at the moment!

#58382 - 07/29/05 03:08 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
lonebuffs
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA, USA

I recently acquired some new goodies - for the first time in ages, actually; I had forgotten how much fun it was to get new music!

Garden State Soundtrack (my favorite off of which is Colin Hay's "I just don't think I'll ever get over you")
Snow Patrol's Final Straw
and Dire Straits' greatest hits compilation (I can't seem to get enough of "Walk of Life").

#58383 - 08/09/05 12:14 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Shellyjanuary
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Chicagoland, IL

If you like semi-laid back pop-rock, check out Ben Lee. His CD 'Awake is the New Sleep' is one of the most refreshing albums I've heard in quite some time.
#58384 - 08/09/05 12:34 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

Shellyjanuary, I really like everything I've heard from Awake is the New Sleep. The last time I saw Ben Lee was a few years ago, and I can't believe how much better his new stuff is. I'm seeing him tomorrow with Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright, and I can't wait.
#58385 - 08/09/05 11:46 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Shellyjanuary
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Oh my goodness, I was supposed to go to that show!
Unfortunately, I had to have surgery last week, so I'm not going.
\:\(

#58386 - 08/10/05 08:32 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
skwirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Michigan

Quote:
Originally posted by lonebuffs:
Garden State Soundtrack (my favorite off of which is Colin Hay's "I just don't think I'll ever get over you")
That's an EXCELLENT soundtrack. You should also look into the Scrubs Soundtrack, although I think there's a repeat.

I just went nuts adding music to the bookstore collection: Rev. Horton Heat (most of which I have to screen before allowing into the main rotation), Peggy Lee, Combustible Edison, Johnny Cash, and a whole lot of tiki music. I'd been listening to so much Charles Trenet I was talking with an accent, so I thought I should diversify.

#58387 - 08/14/05 09:08 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

New to my collection is the soundtrack from the 1992 musical Newsies. The sounds of my childhood make me exceedingly happy. "Santa Fe" remains my favorite song. It also makes me wonder what it is about Santa Fe that's so attractive to New Yorkers, since it's portrayed as a dream destination in Rent as well.
#58388 - 08/14/05 11:30 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Mara2
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra Australia

I bought the White Stripes' Get behind me Satan over the weekend, and My doorbell has been lodged in my brain ever since - in the good way 'cos usually it's only the crappy, annoying things that lodge in my brain.
#58389 - 08/15/05 10:47 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I just bought Wikked Lil' Girls by Esthero. What an ecclectic CD! Everything from the trip hop inspired If tha Mood to jazz influenced Melancholy Melodies and a swing-laced Wikked Lil' Girls. I don't think I've ever listened to such a diverse collection of songs from one artist.
#58390 - 08/17/05 09:18 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Shellyjanuary
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I just ordered a copy of the original cast recording of Rent to prepare myself for the movie version coming out this fall. I get shivers every time I hear 'Seasons of Love'.
#58391 - 08/18/05 10:05 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

Enjoy the Rent cds, Shelly. They are fabulous!

Also, just to let you know, we don't use signatures here since your user ID appears to the left of your post already, so I edited your post. That and other fun chicklit info can be found here . Welcome!

#58392 - 10/12/05 06:05 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

The Return of the Living Dead soundtrack...for the third time! I had this on picture disk in the late '80s--combining my love for horror movies with my love for punk rock--but I've no idea where that went. I then found the CD about seven or eight years ago, and that somehow disappeared, too. So, now I have it again. I may have to chain it to the CD rack, so it doesn't escape, too!

The Cramps... 45 Grave... TSOL... The Flesheaters... Roky Erickson... The Damned... A great little Hallowe'en-type album.

I had forgotten how much I loved this album.

#58393 - 10/28/05 09:28 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
listersgirl
Ching Shih

I'm always somewhat late when it comes to music (let's just pretend I like to think about it for a long time first, okay?), but I recently picked up Sufjan Stevens Illinois and The Stars Set Yourself on Fire, both of which I am loving. The Stars album is awesome - mellow vocals over catchy and unusual instrumental work. Lovely.
#58394 - 10/28/05 08:52 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I love Illinois -- there are so many gorgeous songs, but my favorite is "The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!" (the song is not as goofy as its title, I promise).
#58395 - 10/29/05 12:40 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Meghan
Ching Shih

Loc: New York, New York

Ooh, I'm glad you're liking The Stars, listersgirl. It's one of my favorites of the cds I've bought in the last year or so.
#58396 - 10/29/05 07:07 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

My last purchase was Idlewild's Warnings/Promises. I've almost worn it out listening to it during my daily commute.
#58397 - 10/29/05 02:26 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

It's snowing in Boston - not even Halloween yet! Augh! But I put on a Hoagy Carmichael compilation in the bookshop, Mel Torme singing "Star Dust" and Ernestine Anderson singing "Skylark," great for a dark afternoon. And I just got as a gift from my sweetheart Gillian Welch's Hell Among the Yearlings, which I'm enjoying a lot.
#58398 - 10/31/05 12:51 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

It took me way too long to finally pick up an album by Ted Leo + the Pharmacists. I got Shake the Sheets, and it is totally love at first listen. It brilliantly mixes my favorite indie-rock sounds with the kind of current punk rock that I actually do like. It's just friggin' brilliant.
#58399 - 10/31/05 02:28 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Bri
Ching Shih

Loc: between here and there

I recently got

Nickelback: All The Right Reasons-this album is great. It's edgy, but addicting. I could listen to Photograph and Follow You Home all day, and never get tired of them.

Trisha Yearwood: Jasper County-haven't listened to this one too many times yet, but so far I like what I hear. Who Invented the Wheel is a great ballad.

Brooks and Dunn: Hillbilly Deluxe-typical Brooks and Dunn country. My Heart's Not a Hotel and Play Something Country are both great tracks.

#58400 - 10/31/05 04:12 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Pflaume
Ching Shih

Gogol Bordello: Gypsy Punks
Imagine a drunk Ukrainian kelzmer band playing ska. Now imagine them with mustaches.

Excellent for cooking, cleaning, getting ready in the morning. How could anyone resist punk music with violins and an accordion?

#58401 - 10/31/05 06:27 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
angelghost
Ching Shih

Pflaume, I just saw Gogol Bordello at a small club last week. As great as they are on CD, they are freaking amazing live. It's been a long time since I've seen such an energetic and positive live show.
#58402 - 10/31/05 10:43 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

Man, I'm hearing about Gogol Bordello everywhere I go these days--I should probably get around to listening to them already.

I've been listening to a lot of Sufjan Stevens and New Pornographers, and I'm sure I'm the last person to do so, so I won't waste time explaining how great they are, in their own very different ways.

#58403 - 12/26/05 11:22 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Sarah Kathryn
Ching Shih

Loc: Suburban Maryland

My most recent additions:
Remember Who I Am, Girlyman. I hadn't heard of these guys until I went to a Dar Williams concert this fall and they opened for her. Creative, tight harmonies on intelligent lyrics; some seriously amazing folk rock. Not that I'm anything close to expert, but they won over the entire Dar Williams crowd about half a song into their set.

Indian Summer, Carbonleaf. A fun, intelligent pop CD. I'm still wondering why these guys get so little local (Wash. DC) radio airtime and are probably unplayed through most of the country. Brilliant stuff.

#58404 - 12/27/05 08:52 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I received St. Germaine's Tourist for Christmas. I've been wanting this disc for a while but somehow it always got put off. St Germaine is a DJ who jams with jazz musicians and the result amazing.
#58405 - 12/30/05 07:52 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
catalog with hair
Ching Shih

2 cds of risque songs from the 20's and Kate Bush's "Aerial."
Also just ordered Electrelane's "Axes." Very excited!

"Th-km. Ca?" Lola

#58406 - 12/30/05 07:53 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
catalog with hair
Ching Shih

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LovelyPride:
[QB] I received St. Germaine's Tourist for Christmas.

I love this cd! It's in my ipod right now!
:p

"Th-km. Ca?" Lola

#58407 - 12/30/05 11:20 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
meesh
Ching Shih

Loc: US

I got Hanukkah Rocks (The LeeVees) for (naturally) Hanukkah.
#58408 - 01/22/06 09:46 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
bridget
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I added "Something To Die For" by "Slut", because I just loved the lyrics and the singer's voice...and here are the lyrics...(:

so many years from now and far away I guess you don磘 even know my name so many years when there was nothing to say but I get arranged somehow we're not gonna change it now as long as you're here there's something to die for - my love as long as you're near there's something to cry for - my love guess I can never find my destiny guess i can never be blessed with love I think you will always be a part of me think I get juiced in it but never get used to it as long as you're here there's something to die for - my love as long as you're near there's something to cry for - my love as long as you're here there's something to die for - my love 'cause time after time there's something to cry for - my love my love

#58409 - 01/24/06 05:52 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Raindrop2
Ching Shih

Loc: Rural NSW, Australia

I have a new and obsessive crush on David Tennant, who happened to mention in an interview that he was a big fan of the Proclaimers. Well, so am I!! Now. {I just needed a nudge in the right direction \:\) }
I bought a 'Best of' CD and am playing it all the time. "Letter from America", "There's a Touch", "Lady Luck" - all really great. Get all teary during "Ghost of Love". Actually cried during "Act of Remembrance". And "Oh Jean"? Such a good hearted, sweet natured, appreciative song. Lovelovelove the whole thing.

Also bought a "Best of" Queen CD, while I was at it and am happily rediscovering all my old favourites.

[How could I have forgotten so many of the really good humuroured, good sounds of the '80s and early '90s?? I don't keep a diary either so suddenly realised that I must have have mislaid so much of my own history. Waaaaah!!!!]

#58410 - 04/03/06 06:49 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
goovie
Ching Shih

My current musical crush is on The Pipettes , a retro-groovy, ridiculously cute girl group with incredibly catchy songs. They make me want to ditch my whole sensitive-girl-with-a-guitar persona, put on a vintage dress, tease and spray my hair, and start performing songs that would actually work with accompanying choreography.
#58411 - 04/04/06 11:23 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Willemiena
Ching Shih

Loc: New Zealand

I've recently discovered Nick Cave, so his best of is my current musical delight.

I love his voice. It's enveloping.

That and Lou Reed's album Transformer. The music is so cute!

#58412 - 05/08/06 07:07 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Recently I've been listening to a lot of testosterone-fueled rock...I bought Absent Element 's Uprooted. Mmmm. Chris Daughtry goodness. And I bought Dimension by Wolfmother. Not sure what it is, but I think part of me is just very tired of listening to my son's "classic rock"...you know, all the music I loved (and still love) way back in the '70's. He plays my Stones/Zep/Neil CD's more than I do lately! Heh.

To balance out the male vibe, I've also purchased two of Bird York's discs recently. She's got such a soulful, sultry voice. Wicked Little High is her most recent. I'd always meant to buy her first CD though, and was happy to finally track it down on CD Baby . That is one cool little cyberstore.

I'm also planning to buy Neil's newest-- Living with War . I think you can still hear the entire thing on his web site . I'm holding off buying it though, because I think I may be getting it as a Mom's Day present from my kidz.

#58413 - 05/10/06 10:11 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

My recent purchases have been mostly country; a week ago I got Phil Vassar's first CD, mostly for the song "Six-pack Summer," which has a very beachy feel to it, plus Van Zant's Get right with the Man. I loved their first single, "Help Somebody" but I was surprised to discover that one of the Van Zants had previously been with Lynyrd Skynyrd because the song isn't hard rock at all. The rest of the album, though, is high on testosterone!
#58414 - 09/20/06 12:19 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
graceless
Ching Shih

Just bought the soundtrack to My Summer of Love. Every song is perfect and the atmosphere is amazing. I love soundtracks that actually go beyond a grab bag of tunes and actually have a main idea, like Rushmore's soundtrack.

#58415 - 09/20/06 03:58 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Rufus and Martha Wainwright are new to my collection. I seem to be listening to Martha a lot more than her brother though. I also recently discovered Snow Patrol through a song that Martha Wainwright sings with them, called Set the Fire To The Third Bar . Intense song, intensely sung by Gary Lightbody and Martha. By far my favorite song on Snow Patrol's newest disc, Eyes Open.
#84867 - 11/14/07 01:02 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Kivrin]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I was just on iTunes and discovered that The Killers released a new CD today! Seventeen new full-length tunes. I was just coming down from Sam's Town. How can I resist?

Not really a justifiable purchase, as I bought five new CDs not a month ago, among them Snow Patrol (mentioned by Kivrin above) and Bleed Like Me by Garbage, which hasn't left the CD player in my car for two weeks now.

Apropos of nothing, I remember buying my first Garbage CD, years ago in high school--I was in Target with my mom, and she cringed looking at it. "They're good!" I protested. "Then why are they called Garbage?" she replied. Awesome.

#84872 - 11/14/07 01:01 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Erin W]
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Kivrin, CD Baby is awesome, isn't it? I got CDs from my friend Lawrence Collins there, the service was excellent. As are the CDs, I'm really happy he found me online and let me know he'd actually released some music. I also bookmarked a couple of other artists that look interesting.

Shameless plug: his myspace page
the site from his previous album that is still maintained

I also got my hands on some Billy Joel after seeing him in concert last week, and that's also making me happy. It's so easy to forget how iconic he is. And he's still got it.

Erin W, I love Garbage.

#84879 - 11/15/07 06:56 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: FishDreamer]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

FishDreamer, I could go pretty crazy buying CD's from CD Baby. What I love is that when CDs seem to be unavailable in other places, like Amazon, they are usually still selling on CD Baby.

I just did a search on your friend, Lawrence Collins, on the site, and clicked on The Mandala Sessions. Nice. Oh, and I saw your review right at the top too.

I've added Raising Sand, by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss to my collection very recently, along with Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings, and Regina Spektor.

#86238 - 06/24/08 09:51 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Kivrin]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

While our dear Amy Winehouse gets her life together again, and I sincerely hope that she is able to do so, I've discovered Duffy and Rockferry. I really like her voice. Listening to her music makes me feel like I am fourteen again, burning incense in my room, and dancing to Dusty Springfield or Petula Clark. I was thrilled when I discovered that one of my favorite women singers had not disappeared completely when her band (The Gathering) broke up, but went and started up a new band, where she is still frontwoman. Agua de Annique is the band, Anneke van Giersbergen the woman who rules it. You can hear sample tracks on the web site. I'd recommend taking a listen to Beautiful One. Wow. She's got a voice that chills.
#86244 - 06/25/08 10:37 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Kivrin]
Erin W
Ching Shih

I just bought the new Coldplay (Viva la Vida) and the new Death Cab for Cutie (Narrow Stairs). The Death Cab is excellent, but I'm not sure about the other. My Coldplay obsession of 2001-2003 may have truly gone cold.
#86246 - 06/25/08 10:08 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Erin W]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Why have I never noticed this thread before?! I recently went methodically through Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Best Guitar Songs list and downloaded from iTunes everything I didn't already own. (I also added some of the alternative suggestions from indignant partisans whose favorite songs/artists didn't make the cut.) Some of the punk songs are "album only," though, which was kind of annoying...

It's been a fun week playing the list and familiarizing myself with songs (in random order -- the rankings are a matter of contention for a lot of people, and "shuffle" eliminates that problem nicely!)

#86307 - 07/06/08 03:43 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

The bestest album I've heard recently is Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. It's kind of the best thing ever. A sonic symphony of awesomeness; can you tell I have zero words to adequately describe music? After extensive listening, it's been put into my pantheon of favorite albums.

I also really liked the latest albums by Feist and Aimee Mann. I probably like the Feist album more -- it's airy and soothing and feisty! -- but I'm a bigger Aimee Mann fan (her Bachelor No. 2 might just be my favorite album ever) and $%#& Smilers is a happy return to form after two not-so-good CDs.

And I've recently discovered the beauty that is the Rolling Stone's Exile on Main St.. Hey, it's new to me! "Shine a Light" is utter greatness.

#86363 - 07/14/08 11:03 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Lady Agnew]
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

Seconding the Rockferry love...I've listened to it about 50 times in the last few weeks. I was also told I need to be listening to something more cheerful (an obsession with Leonard Cohen will prompt that sort of thing) and so I've also been listening to the Ramones. I don't know if they're actually more cheerful, but they certainly make me feel better.
#86366 - 07/15/08 08:06 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Perthelia]
liz_isabella1
Ching Shih

Loc: Milton Keynes, England

I've just added the Foxboro Hot Tubs album (aka Green Day), Stop Drop and Roll, to my ipod. I remain unconvinced and will need to give it another listen.
#86601 - 08/30/08 09:19 AM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: liz_isabella1]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I just bought Shannon Lambert-Ryan's new CD, Across the Pond.** She sings Irish folk songs, as well as a beautiful rendition of "Amazing Grace." If you like Celtic Woman or similar groups, I would suggest checking Shannon's music.

You can sample 3 songs from the album on her myspace page.

**In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that Shannon is an old friend of my family's (as in, we have pictures of five-year-old me holding her when she was a baby). However, my obvious bias notwithstanding, this is an awesome album.

#87077 - 11/23/08 07:22 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Erin W
Ching Shih

A month or so ago, I got tipped to a free trial (36 songs) from an Internet music download service. So I signed up, started searching on bands like REM and came up empty handed. Mystified, I reread the service's mission statement: it was indie-only. Aha. So, forced to broaden my horizons I got these: In the Clear, Ivy; You and Me, The Walkmen; and Kiss the Moonlight, Spoon. I'm especially happy with the Ivy (who I've discovered is a band and not a solo woman named Ivy; also that one of the guys in the band is Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne).

On my Christmas wish list is the new Snow Patrol, the last two from The Killers, Apartment Life from Ivy (for real, I love them now), the latest from REM and 19 from Adele (saw her on Saturday Night Live and she's awesome).

(By the way, I think the Internet service with the free trial was emusic.com but I don't totally remember anymore.)

#91029 - 08/15/11 10:01 PM Re: What music have you added to your collection recently? [Re: Catness]
moonsilk
Ching Shih

Loc: usa

Blue October - Foiled and the other cd of theirs is Approaching
Normal.
The Goo Goo Dolls latest disc - Home.
Loreena McKennit last cd.
Sade Last cd.
Stevie Nicks new disc.
James Blunt lastest recordings.

Page all of 11 12345>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, harper