Page all of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#58836 - 06/05/06 09:31 AM What movie are you dying to see?
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

The old thread for this had been quiet for a while, but the recent entries include: The Namesake, the new Leonard Cohen documentary (!), The Devil Wears Prada, Superman, and Snakes on a Plane.

I hate to admit it, but I'm looking forward to The Lakehouse. I am naively hoping that it will rise to Somewhere in Time levels of time travel romance.

#58837 - 06/06/06 12:43 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Okay, I know it's not likely to live up to the first by half, in terms of pure, rollicking fun, but I can't help looking forward to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, simply for another couple hours of Jack Sparrow...
#58838 - 06/06/06 01:31 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
MissAmy
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin, TX

I kind of hate to admit it, but I'm really anxious to see The Devil Wears Prada. While not Faulkner by any stretch of the imagination, the book was a fun read and the whole time I kept thinking, "This would make a really good movie." Also it has Meryl Streep, one of my favorite actresses.
#58839 - 06/06/06 04:18 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

I'd probably have no interest in The Devil Wears Prada but for Meryl Streep. I can see her being great fun.
#58840 - 06/07/06 08:11 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
heyalice
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

There is an Australian western with Ray Winstone and Guy Pearce called THE PROPOSITION. Don't usually like westerns but this looks good. I also wouldn't mind seeing DEVIL WEARS PRADA, it's all about Meryl.
#58841 - 06/08/06 07:38 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

I'm far too excited about A Prairie Home Companion, possibly because the radio show has been a part of my life for such a long time, and also because Kevin Kline is the perfect choice to play Guy Noir.
#58842 - 10/21/06 10:36 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
essay
Ching Shih

Can't believe this thread has languished for so long. My pick? The Prestige, which opened in town on Friday. The book itself always looked intriguing, and now we have Hugh Jackman to add to the allure.
#58843 - 10/21/06 10:43 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

essay, I was just going to post that myself! I'm really eager to see it.

Also the 3D version of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Mostly just for the chance to see it in the theater again.

#58844 - 10/22/06 07:43 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
alizarin
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA

I saw The Prestige today and absolutely adored it. Haven't read the book (I know, bad me) but the film is gorgeous and brilliant and I kind of want to go right back out and see it again.
#58845 - 10/23/06 10:43 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
Vetivert
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I'll stand with those who want to see The Devil Wears Prada for Meryl Streep alone. But I also want to see Marie Antoinette -although the historical accuracy is likely to be minimal, I have high hopes for the costumes and general look of the film from pictures that I have seen.
#58846 - 02/05/07 07:47 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
klaradyn
Ching Shih

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Quote:
Originally posted by alizarin:
I saw The Prestige today and absolutely adored it. Haven't read the book (I know, bad me) but the film is gorgeous and brilliant and I kind of want to go right back out and see it again.
My sentiments exactly!
And I can't wait for The Last King Of Scotland to be released here. Of course, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is also being eagerly anticipated, even though the wait will still be quite long. \:D

#58847 - 02/05/07 05:35 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
vanillabean
Ching Shih

I just saw The Departed over the weekend, which I thought was excellent. I'm going to buy the DVD. Next up, I want to see The Good Shepard.
#58848 - 02/06/07 12:36 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
essay
Ching Shih

The one I'm dying to see, but apparently am going to be waiting in vain for is Miss Potter. This is mainly because my friends and I happened upon the world premier while we were visiting London this December, and we saw stood outside and saw the whole red carpet treatment for Renee Zellweger, Ewan McGregor, and Emily Watson. It was a fun moment on an otherwise sad occasion-- a close friend had just died-- and we all feel very disappointed that for some reason the distributors saw fit to keep it out Santa Cruz.
#58849 - 02/06/07 07:52 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see?
yogie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Wow, my very first post! I really want to see Daddy's Little Girls. It comes out on Valentine's day. I'm going to go see it with a couple girlfriends.
#84938 - 11/23/07 11:14 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: yogie]
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was sure I had posted about this the other day, but I guess not.

I found out that they're making a movie of the excellent Persephone book Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970468/

#84946 - 11/24/07 10:20 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: StephA]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Sweeney Todd! Johnny Depp, my darling, sings! Helena Bonham Carter by his side, a true Tim Burton directed, delightful, and macabre production. I can't wait for this one.
#84949 - 11/25/07 06:21 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Kivrin, I'm totally with you! I saw the trailer this weekend and swooned in anticipation :-)

I'm also dying to see The Golden Compass. I'm not sure how it can possibly work with most of the religious overtones taken out, but I'm willing to be horrified by that aspect in order to see how the daemons are brought to life.

#84952 - 11/26/07 01:46 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: StephA]
essay
Ching Shih

StephA, the cast for Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day looks marvelous! And slightly surreal--who would have thought you'd ever find Frances McDormand, Ciaran Hinds, Shirley Henderson, and Amy Adams in one movie?
#84953 - 11/26/07 01:52 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: StephA]
essay
Ching Shih

Sorry about the double post. My computer stalled out in mid- transmission, and when I finally hit refresh, this is what happened.

Edited by essay (11/26/07 01:55 AM)

#85959 - 04/28/08 01:58 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

I'm gonna kick off this list by saying I cannot wait till the summer movie season starts. I can practically taste the summer blockbuster season, I'm drooling so much. The last movie I saw was Wong Kar-Wai's My Blueberry Nights, which was adorable but very slight. Before that, it was a month since I've seen a movie in the theatre.

Iron Man -- perfect casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. Literally, I can't think of anyone I would prefer in the role. Also the first superhero movie of the summer, opening May 2. I can't wait.

Hellboy 2 -- I loved the first movie. Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite directors working today, and since this movie is opening on my birthday, I'm gonna assume he's making it a present just for me. Also, he was just announced as the director for The Hobbit!

Speed Racer -- hopefully the Wachowski's are back on their game, after the Matrix sequels. It looks like candy, colorful fun, this movie.

Indiana Jones 4 -- I love Spielberg best when he's in fun mode. Yes. And the trailer, with grumpy, older Indy, has me muchly excited.

#85968 - 04/29/08 01:44 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Lady Agnew]
Mistral
Ching Shih

Prince Caspian! I loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - thought it was one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. And to top it all off, the actor playing Caspian looks yummy! (if a bit young for me - heh)
#85969 - 04/29/08 09:35 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Lady Agnew]
essay
Ching Shih

I don't have any I'm dying to see currently, although I am always interested in movies Robert Downey Jr. decides to do. I also saw My Blueberry Nights , and would agree with your description, Lady Agnew. Though I was maybe slightly more disappointed, given my love for Wong Kar-Wai's Hong Kong movies.
#86012 - 05/05/08 01:25 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
ken_m
Ching Shih

There was a preview for the new Indiana Jones movie I saw at the screening of Iron Man this weekend.

I swear I reverted to twelve years old when the theme music started up. I want so badly to see this movie it is kind of sad.

#86018 - 05/06/08 07:53 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: ken_m]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I want to see that one, too, ken_m.

I'm also looking forward to the X-Files movie.

#86034 - 05/08/08 01:44 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: TraceyB]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

The Sex and the City movie is out at the end of May. We're getting together a group of women to go. ;->
#86040 - 05/09/08 02:33 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: naomism]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

My friend is also dying to see the SatC movie; he wants to go to this new-fangled theater that charges for seat reservations & serves cocktails. Cocktails!
#86976 - 11/11/08 01:31 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Lady Agnew]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Ooh!! There's a new version of Dorian Gray coming out next year. It stars Prince Caspian (er, Ben Barnes) and Colin Firth. I am so looking forward to that!
#87102 - 11/26/08 11:01 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: harper]
Ms M

Loc: The land down under and a bit ...

I know it couldn’t be any further removed from Jack and his mighty Sparrow, but I’m actually looking forward to seeing The Onion Movie, because I’m soooo over being bombarded by all this in your face news analysis!

Ms M.

#87117 - 11/29/08 10:39 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Ms M]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I am dying to see Slumdog Millionaire. I was a big fan of Danny Boyle's Millions and it seems to be cut from the same cloth. Plus, I'm a sucker for Indian culture.
#87118 - 11/30/08 12:27 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

Originally Posted By: Erin W
I am dying to see Slumdog Millionaire. I was a big fan of Danny Boyle's Millions and it seems to be cut from the same cloth. Plus, I'm a sucker for Indian culture.

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to see a free preview. Check out the Slumdog Millionaire website and select 'Attend a Free Screening'. I'm going on Wednesday!

#87119 - 11/30/08 05:47 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: sophietje]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

How did I not realize that Millions is also Danny Boyle. Huh. I'm looking forward to Slumdog Millionaire too.

Have any of you seen Twilight? Should I just wait for DVD, or is it worth shelling out for the theater experience?

#87132 - 12/01/08 09:45 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Probably a lot of people haven't made the connection that the director of Trainspotting and 28 Days Later also have produced such a sweet movie as Millions. It seems like a weird disconnect--but then I thoroughly enjoyed all those movies, so I guess I'm just as weirdly disconnected!

By the way, sophietje, thank you for the awesome advice. I checked the website and there are four free previews of the film in my town this month. Why had I never thought of this before?

#87142 - 12/02/08 11:53 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
sophietje
Ching Shih

Originally Posted By: LaSalleUGirl

Have any of you seen Twilight? Should I just wait for DVD, or is it worth shelling out for the theater experience?

I went to see Twilight last night. It was... somewhere between OK and pretty good. If you liked the books, I would probably recommend seeing it. (If I were 14, I'm sure I would have turned right back around to see it again.) It was uneven, and I think it would have been harder to follow without reading the book, but the two leads were (if possible) more compelling than in the book. I actually liked them both, and hoped they would find a way to be together.

The CG was a little cheesy, but then I'm not completely certain what a flying vampire is supposed to look like. And there were a few interesting directoral choices. It felt like someone read a textbook on unique filming techniques, and decided to try a few of them out. But it's a unique story, so that part kind of worked.

When I read the book, all it made me want to do was re-read Interview with the Vampire, but after seeing the movie, I ran into the bookstore next door to buy Eclipse.

#87145 - 12/02/08 04:19 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: sophietje]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Originally Posted By: sophietje

The CG was a little cheesy, but then I'm not completely certain what a flying vampire is supposed to look like.

That's how I feel about Quidditch.

Thank you for your insights into Twilight -- your thoughtful and balanced response is much more reliable to me than my students' squees, if you know what I mean! I'm hoping to get to go sometime over the next few days.

#87163 - 12/03/08 10:20 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
sophietje
Ching Shih

Originally Posted By: Erin W

Wow, I just back back from this movie, and wow! It was absolutely fantastic. But, it is not for the weak of heart. There are some pretty rough scenes starting with torture and just general violence, not to mention the overwhelming poverty that is all over the place, but it is masterful storytelling. (The spoiler isn't really about any major plot points, it's just illustrating what I mean by 'rough'.)
And it (obviously) shows a slightly different side of Indian culture than we are used to seeing with Bollywood films.

But anyway, I will be wholeheartedly recommending it to everyone I meet! And the last 20 minutes... are just superb.

Edited by sophietje (12/03/08 10:23 PM)
Edit Reason: Explain the spoiler tag

#87168 - 12/04/08 12:50 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: sophietje]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Thanks for the review, sophietje. I'm really looking forward to it. I signed up for a free preview next week although I haven't heard back yet.

Luckily Scorsese and Tarantino took care of my desensitization to movie violence years ago.

#87170 - 12/05/08 02:36 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
coffeecat

I am looking foward to seeing Wendy and Lucy, I have heard really good things about the film. I also want to see Revolutionary Road and Rachel Getting Married.
#87200 - 12/14/08 11:21 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: coffeecat]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

I saw Twilight last weekend, and actually really enjoyed it. I had started to cool off on the books somewhat, so I didn't know how I was going to react, but I agree with Erin W's post above. Not a great movie, by any stretch of the imagination, but totally enjoyable. Loved the baseball scene, which was also my favorite part of the book.

I do have one complaint about the critiques I've read of the movie, and specifically the complaints about the "goof" of having Edward sleeping in the hospital room at the end of the movie when vampires don't sleep. I realize they didn't exactly establish this as clearly in the movie as in the book, but how is it not obvious that he is pretending to be sleeping so as not to freak out his human girlfriend's mother when he insists on staying at said girlfriend's bedside 24 hours a day? Duh. I feel better now :-)

#87242 - 12/19/08 12:51 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
sophietje
Ching Shih

I saw Happy-go-lucky last night. Has anyone else gotten to see it?
I loved it. Character study movies usually explore melancholy, or even tortured people. So this was a first (for me at least), to see a movie that explored the depths of happiness. My friend and I both took a valuable lesson from this movie: it takes a commitment to be happy- it doesn't always just happen. I need to be reminded of that.
And Sally Hawkins every bit deserves any award she gets. It's a shame that Eddie Marsden doesn't get the same press. He was also amazing as the Sally's polar opposite.
Loved it.And starting today, I'm going to make the effort to be happier. :)

#87359 - 01/14/09 04:28 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: sophietje]
coffeecat

There are so many movies that I want to go see.

The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
Frost/Nixon
Doubt
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Happy-Go-Lucky
I've Loved You So Long

and I still want to see Wendy and Lucy, Rachel Getting Married, and Revolutionary Road.

#87362 - 01/15/09 08:57 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: coffeecat]
liz_isabella1
Ching Shih

Loc: Milton Keynes, England

The Wrestler looks surprisingly interesting. I've been hearing only good things about it and Mickey Rourke.

I'm keen to see Frost/Nixon as well. Although if the floppy blond hair Matthew Macfadyen is sporting in the trailer makes too much of an appearance I may cry.

#88166 - 08/01/09 07:39 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: liz_isabella1]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

I haven't been very excited by the current batch of movies, but now there's a movie I absolutely can't wait to see: District 9! Opening August 14th. I'm so there!
#88301 - 08/20/09 09:15 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
Caryl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: U.S.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ponyo with my daughter! We just re-watched Kiki's Delivery Service, and next week we'll watch My Neighbor Totoro for the umpteenth time in anticipation.

I'm reading the past few replies on this thread... liz_isabella1, did you ever see Frost/Nixon? Both Frank Langella and Michael Sheen were stunning in their roles, and Matthew MacFadyen surprised me -- I didn't know he was in the film, and didn't recognize him.

And sophietje, I loved Happy-Go-Lucky! What a marvelous film. I was high on Mike Leigh after seeing it, and got Vera Drake from my library, too. Completely different mood, but excellent acting/ensemble work again. Imelda Staunton was extraordinary, and Eddie Marsden plays a great role in this one. Sally Hawkins has a small part in it, too.

Coffeecat, I hope you've had a chance to see these now. I also recommend Doubt, another film with great acting.

Oh, and I'm excited to see Julie & Julia with my book club at the end of the month. (We read both Julie & Julia and My Life in France as our summer picks.)

#88302 - 08/20/09 09:19 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Caryl]
essay
Ching Shih

"Ponyo" and "500 Days of Summer" are probably the top two for me right now. I haven't had much chance to go to the movies lately, though.
#88312 - 08/22/09 04:43 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Me either, but the movie that's currently on the top of my list (other than District 9) is Ocean of Pearls. It's playing in San Francisco this week until next Friday, but I doubt I'll have the time to see it there. I first heard about it through Snatam Kaur's web site. She has an amazing voice, and sings the soundtrack to the film.

I saw Ponyo. It was cute, not brilliant, but definitely wondrous and worthwhile. Unlike many of Miyazaki's others, this one is definitely geared towards little kids. It's much lighter than, say Princess Mononoke, or Spirited Away.

I'd like to see 500 Days of Summer too. My teenager really liked it. She also liked Time-Traveler's Wife and went to my bookshelves to find the book immediately after getting home from the movie. She couldn't find it. It must have gone to the book store with my last batch of trade...

#90149 - 10/15/10 08:20 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know if it will ever get made, but there is a(nother) chance that The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell will be made into a movie - this time with a script by the author herself!

http://www.marydoriarussell.net/2010/10/14/a-third-attempt-to-film-the-sparrow/

#90381 - 12/16/10 05:36 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: StephA]
klaradyn
Ching Shih

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

I can't wait to see Black Swan, the new movie by Darren Aronofsky. I have no idea when it will be coming out here in South Africa.

Edited by klaradyn (12/16/10 05:36 AM)

#90384 - 12/17/10 01:16 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: klaradyn]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Yes, I am totally falling prey to all the Black Swan publicity. I think I'm going to see it on Monday (which is $5 movie day at my local theater).
#90393 - 12/19/10 08:49 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I went to see Black Swan with a few other women from my office. Everyone I know seems to be dying to see it; I'm not entirely sure why. It was extremely creepy and messed up. Definitely entertaining but not a sublime moviegoing experience or anything. I keep hearing it might get a Best Picture Oscar nomination, but IMO it doesn't deserve one.

I also saw 127 Hours recently. Now that was a good movie, and James Franco was excellent in it.

#90398 - 12/21/10 10:58 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

GingerCat, my 20 year old son saw Black Swan and he said that he needed to stay awake late into the night before he could sleep without seeing the movie in his head. I wanted to see it, but now I'm fearful of it. He said it was definitely disturbing.

I think I'm more interested in seeing Tiny Furniture.

#90400 - 12/22/10 02:07 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
essay
Ching Shih

The King's Speech is the one I'm definitely going to in the theater, but it is going to have to wait till after Christmas.
#90431 - 12/31/10 03:32 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Kivrin, I felt the same as your son. I actually covered my eyes a lot in Black Swan--much more than I did in 127 Hours, where someone cuts off his own arm!

I really want to see Blue Valentine, and now that I live in a major metropolitan area, I think I'll actually be able to! I also really want to see The King's Speech, essay, but for that I might wait for DVD/On Demand.

#90436 - 01/01/11 10:21 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I'm getting more and more nervous about Black Swan. I'm definitely interested because of Aronofsky and all the hype, but then I heard it described as a horror movie, which is not my cup of tea.
#90437 - 01/01/11 03:01 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: harper]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Hey harper!
I had planned to see Black Swan with my 17 year old daughter because she's a dancer, but she really didn't want to see it, from her brother's and her friends' reviews. I still haven't decided. Horror is easier to read than to watch.

I'm dying to see something though! I've had two weeks off from work and haven't seen one movie!

#90444 - 01/02/11 10:49 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

I wouldn't call Black Swan a horror movie, exactly . . . just really unpleasant.
#90548 - 01/26/11 01:59 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

I'm mixed on Black Swan because I've not had the most pleasant experiences with that director. Requiem for a Dream is mostly unpleasant, and The Wrestler gave me a terrible migraine. But I figure on getting around to Black Swan one day, maybe on DVD.

But I have gone to the movies twice in the past 2 weeks! Blue Valentine is interesting just for the performances of the two leads, Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, though I found watching it emotionally blah, which is strange for a movie that deals with some searing emotional conflicts. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed True Grit -- the first half is Coen brothers' flat affect and mild comedy, but the second half picks up, with gun battles, a really enjoyable Jeff Bridges's performance, and some surprising sentiment that hits exactly the right note. I thought it was pretty charming, actually.

#90561 - 01/28/11 07:51 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Lady Agnew]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

I did end up seeing True Grit and I thought it was great. I remember going to "the first True Grit" when I was 12! I had a crush on Glen Campbell at the time, but quickly developed a girl crush on Kim Darby.
#90562 - 01/28/11 11:15 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Kivrin]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

I'm hoping to see Blue Valentine, The King's Speech, and The Social Network before the Oscars. I also want to see The Company Men. I really hope we stop getting so much snow here, so I can go to the movies without enduring bad roads or delayed trains!
#90565 - 01/30/11 12:00 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
essay
Ching Shih

I've got Winter's Bone from Netflix. Yey! Despite that, I decide to watch Torchwood: Children of Earth on streaming video instead. I would be the last to say the human mind is rational. Except I do have a thing for Torchwood.
#90567 - 01/30/11 10:06 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
Erin W
Ching Shih

I'm trying to watch all the major Oscar movies before the actual show. I've seen Inception, Toy Story 3, Black Swan, and yesterday The King's Speech. Like essay, I also have Winter's Bone on DVD right now!

I'm looking forward to True Grit (love westerns, love Bridges, love the Coens) and kind of dreading 127 Hours.

#90568 - 01/30/11 03:33 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

If you can make it through Winter's Bone, I think it'll be easy to make it through 127 Hours.
#90569 - 01/30/11 11:55 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
CaitlinM2

I also saw The King's Speech yesterday, and thought it predictably starchy (not a bad thing in context) and well done, and Colin Firth particularly fantastic. He's apparently considered the front-runner for the Academy Award, which is fine by me.

Otherwise, the only best picture nominees I've seen are The Kids Are Alright and The Social Network. Of the other nominated films, I have seen Inside Job. Anyone who has read much about the financial collapse and knows much about treasury and economic personnel in recent American administrations already knows what the film has to say, but the filmmakers do a terrific job of allowing the players to hang themselves.

Though I am a fan of dance, I have decided I am not particularly interested in seeing Black Swan as I am not much into creepy movies, and I understand that the dance is a fairly minor part of the actual film.

I am sorry that I appear to have missed Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 in local theaters. It's a completeness issue, but I guess it'll have to be video.

#90604 - 02/11/11 04:52 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: CaitlinM2]
CaitlinM2

I still haven't seen Black Swan, but I found this analysis/critique by a New York Times dance critic interesting.
#90605 - 02/11/11 11:17 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: CaitlinM2]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Here's my Oscar update: I've seen 9 of the 10 Best Picture nominees, including 127 Hours which it turned out was AMAZINGLY GOOD. The one I have left is The Social Network, which I somehow managed to secure on DVD from Netflix.
#90610 - 02/12/11 04:05 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Erin W]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Quote:
127 Hours which it turned out was AMAZINGLY GOOD

Right? I wish this movie had gotten more attention/made more money.

I also managed to score The Social Network from Netflix and watched it almost immediately. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it didn't make a major impression on me. I think 127 Hours is probably my favorite 2010 movie.

#90612 - 02/12/11 09:12 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
essay
Ching Shih

That's been what I've been hearing about 127 Hours, and it surprises me. It doesn't seem like a story I want to have to endure, but I'll keep your reck in mind.
#90617 - 02/15/11 09:58 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

I just got back from seeing The King's Speech and was kind of disappointed. The performances were great, but the whole thing felt very standard-issue to me. Standard-issue inspirational biopic, someone overcomes obstacles with help of unorthodox teacher, blah blah. I mean, I enjoyed it, but it was nothing special for me.
#90618 - 02/16/11 01:31 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: GingerCat]
essay
Ching Shih

I'm pretty much with you, GingerCat, but I think the tightness of the Firth/Rush combo is what raises it up a level. The arc is standard, just disguised by royalty.
#90621 - 02/16/11 09:27 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: essay]
Erin W
Ching Shih

GingerCat, I felt the same way about The King's Speech. The performances were first-rate, but...you're right, "standard-issue" all the way. I actually don't know which film to root for on Oscar night because I didn't care for The Social Network either.

Right now I'm frustrated because I just saw online that Mike Leigh's Another Year is closing at my local theater tomorrow night, which means I can't see it. I hate when movies close after a week and a half!

#91028 - 08/15/11 09:56 PM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: Vetivert]
moonsilk
Ching Shih

Loc: usa

The City Of Lost Children. Purchasing it from the Science Fiction Book Club.

#91433 - 02/08/12 01:32 AM Re: What movie are you dying to see? [Re: moonsilk]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

It's still months and months away, but I am so looking forward to The Avengers. I'm already geeky enough to be a fan of superhero movies and have seen all the different movies leading up to it, but with Joss Whedon writing and directing it, it's become my #1 to see movie of the year.
Page all of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, harper 
Hop to: