Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#59709 - 05/23/05 09:28 AM Re: Graduate School
Molly Malone
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Easten USA

Just wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement, I finally got the personal statement done, with all sorts of great stuff (I hope!) in it!!!

Pinga- that was exactly my question. It seems that if I was hiring someone, I'd prefer someone who was a bit younger- able to work longer, etc.

My current job is always available to me, lucky to be in a field facing a shortage, and of course I already have tons of relevant work experience, but I would hope to find work using the PhD soon after. I think I'll contact the school and see what they say.

#59710 - 06/11/05 03:47 PM Re: Graduate School
pinga
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

Molly, I'm really glad if my advice was some use. It sounds like you have a pretty good situation. Good luck!
#59711 - 06/11/05 10:46 PM Re: Graduate School
Molly Malone
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Pinga-
It was good to get that advice. Often people ( not here at all!) have said "follow your dreams" well, I'm sort of pragmatic. Working on becoming more dreamy every day \:\)

I sent my application on Friday... now for the nail biting wait...

#59712 - 06/14/05 06:21 PM Re: Graduate School
Molly Malone
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Hoping for a bit MORE advice.

I've got the interview coming up with Three professors. I emailed the scheduler and asked politely if he might tell me who they are (So I can read a bit of their stuff...)
But those of you grad school veterans- What kind of questions are likely to be asked? I'm afraid I haven't done a lot of reading on the latest trends, of which i am trying to do now...so, I'm wondering what is typical for an interview. Do I have to have erudite things to say? (OMG I hope not because I NEVER do!)

Thanks in Advance...

#59713 - 06/14/05 07:10 PM Re: Graduate School
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Hi Molly Malone ~ I started to type out some suggestions, and then I realized that it might help to know what field/specialty your Ph.D. program will be in. I mentor some of the Ph.D. students who entered the English program after me, and I know from talking to them that the kinds of questions they were asked derived in part from what they professed a specific scholarly interest in. So, rather than needing to know trends from the ENTIRE field of English, they needed to be conversant in recent scholarship in Composition/Rhetoric or in Victorian Women's Literature (or whatever). In some cases, they were asked why they were interested in pursuing x specialty at y university, as well as what they thought they would want to do after completing the Ph.D. Hope that helps!
#59714 - 06/27/05 06:55 AM Re: Graduate School
Molly Malone
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Hi Guys,
Just terribly excited and had to share with someone. I was accepted to Columbia on Friday!!!!!
The interview itself was a cake walk, not at all what I expected, we mostly discussed housing options-which I thought odd...
I'm now in Paris, getting ready for my next contract.. but oh, so excited, and of course, NO ONE in Paris really cares, since it is off thier radar completely.

#59715 - 06/28/05 02:56 AM Re: Graduate School
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

That's excellent news, Molly Malone. Best of luck with your studies.
#59716 - 12/01/05 04:20 PM Re: Graduate School
Ekaterina
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Thought I'd bump this thread to announce my news. After four years of undergrad, I have decided......to delay the real world a bit. Hence, graduate school. Most likely in interdisciplinary studies.

My undergrad college, if you attend for 7 semesters or more, cuts you a really good deal. If you graduate with a certain high GPA, they'll give you 24 out of 36 graduate credits you need for a masters tuition-free. The catch is that you have to take those 24 credits within a year of graduating, so I'm going straight from being a full-time undergrad student to being a full-time grad student. I found out that my mom's health insurance will cover me until I'm 25 as long as I'm a full time student, and will start working out housing/income stuff in January.

My only worry is that I'll reach 24 without ever having had a 'real' full time job. Will I still be able to get hired then, with mostly unpaid internships? Any advice is much appreciated.

#59717 - 12/01/05 05:24 PM Re: Graduate School
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

Congratulations, Ekaterina, it sounds like a rigorous but exciting way to spend the next year.

As for getting hired, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a job, especially if any of your internships appeal to you. You could start out there with some degree of the "real job" stigma waived because you're already familiar with that workplace.

You might find that even with a graduate degree, there are still some entry-level dues to be paid in terms of clerical/assistant level work. Once that's over with, I'll bet that you're a stronger candidate for promotion or higher level positions more quickly because of your extra schooling. Congratulations again!

#59718 - 12/01/05 08:09 PM Re: Graduate School
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Ekaterina, I finished my PhD at the ripe old age of 26 (having entered at 21, so no real jobs beforehand) and used an unpaid internship at my university's press as a springboard to real jobs. If you can use contacts and have any experience at all, plus an advanced degree, employers will understand (and probably be impressed by) how you've been spending your time.
Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: