Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#59719 - 12/04/05 01:41 AM Re: Graduate School
literaryvamp
Ching Shih

Loc: British Columbia

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about which Canadian businesses will pay for you to take courses to finish a masters' degree. I hear it's quite common in the states, but aside from universities & colleges, I haven't heard much about it in Canada. Money is so short, and I'm thinking about taking investing in a beginner's bookkeeping or accounting course, so I can work for payroll at a university and grab free courses while still managing to eat. Besides, I should be able to apply that accounting course to gothic literature in some way, right??

#59720 - 12/07/05 06:47 PM Re: Graduate School
literaryvamp
Ching Shih

Loc: British Columbia

Or perhaps I'm deluding myself? I thought Staples was one of the companies, but I can't seem to find any information on it.

#59721 - 12/17/05 07:00 PM Re: Graduate School
LibraryGoddess
Ching Shih

Just be careful about course reimbursement. Most companies don't reimburse for everything, and some only pay for a percentage of a few classes, or up to 2 or 3 classes a year. So, you will have to shell out some money anyway. AND, there are usually clauses in there where you have to continue to work for the company for 1-2 years afterward of have to pay them back. So, if you are going to take money for it, make sure you want to stay there.
#59722 - 12/18/05 04:56 PM Re: Graduate School
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I think reimbursement by corporations varies widely -- and so does the way universities allow you to take classes. I've worked for three colleges/universities, and one only allowed me to take two classes per year, but they could be anywhere I wanted (this was a specialized institution that didn't offer a lot of general education courses); the other two were larger, more general institutions that allowed me to take up to two classes per semester, but only at that university (which was a problem for me because the schools didn't have the programs of study I wanted to follow).

As I finish up my library/info science degree, I'm thinking a lot about where I want to work next, and what my next degree will be. But I'll definitely be taking a break for a year or two -- working full time and taking classes is wearing.

#59723 - 11/20/06 01:43 PM Re: Graduate School
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

Bumping this up to join the debate of "to postpone; not to postpone" grad school. I finished my BA three years ago and I am just now putting the finishing touches on my MA-en-route-to-PhD program applications. I have a pile of sealed transcripts sitting next to me as I write.

My senior year was too crazy for me to even think about grad school, and I'm glad I didn't go back then, because I wouldn't have been ready. Just a few prep meetings etc. have really opened my eyes to how businesslike and careerlike advanced degree programs are. It really is NOT just another few years of undergrad college fun. Which is fine, because I'm 25 and I know how to work now. I think I'll be a better asset to the program because I understand the give-and-take.

One piece of advice I can give for late-returners is to take a grad-level course as a guest student while you're in the application process. I've taken two and it's provided me with two excellent recommenders who didn't need their memories jogged as to who I was; also I have several recent papers I've written which I can submit as my sample of academic writing. Also, professors love to advise on the subject of grad school apps because it's one thing they've all successfully completed.

Hoping to get my applications finalized before I leave town for Thanksgiving! Wish me luck!

#59724 - 12/14/06 10:06 AM Re: Graduate School
LibraryGoddess
Ching Shih

Good luck, Erin W.

Your suggestion is a good one. Before doing the whole application process and matriculating, most schools will allow people to take up to several courses. For anyone on the fence about wanting to go or not, taking just one course to start out with as a non-matriculated student is the way to go. Then, if you like it, you can start to get the application ready and even take courses the next semester while they evaluate the application.

#59725 - 02/03/07 11:35 PM Re: Graduate School
Brie
Ching Shih

Loc: New Zealand

Bumping this in the hope that someone can answer my questions.

I will finish my undergrad degree (BA) at the end of October this year (I'm in the southern hemisphere in case you were wondering why I finish in October). For a while I have been intending to go on to further study, but I have suddenly realised that I should really start deciding what sort of study. For those who have done an honours year (in the British University tradition, not American) did you feel it was worth it? I know I'll easily get in and there is a very good chance I could end up with first class honours. My other option is to apply to a Masters speech language therapy programme (it's two years). At the moment my preference is Honours (although I really want to do both), so basically I would just like to know people's opinions on honours years. Worth it or not?

#89341 - 03/08/10 10:55 PM Re: Graduate School [Re: Brie]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

I'm currently deployed to Iraq. Last May while I was in Kuwait waiting to move into Iraq, West Point (where I was an assistant professor for four years) offered for me to come back and teach via a PhD program. I spent last summer and fall cramming for the GRE general and literature subject exam, making trips to Baghdad under some pretty scary conditions (our helicopter was shot at) to take the exams, doing my graduate applications online, etc. Luckily, I had an external hard drive with me with all of my graduate school papers so I had writing samples and my CV that just needed some updating. My recommenders (I had five) got their letters in on time. One of my friends from my master's program (who has a PhD now herself), helped me craft my personal statement.

I applied to nine schools and now I'm playing the waiting game. I will have to make a decision by 15 April and notify my schools. The score thus far:

UMass - accept (I have my master's from UMass)
UWisconsin-Madison - accept
USouth Carolina - accept
UMich - reject

...and still waiting to hear from five other schools.

I got the notice from UMass first. It was such a relief. I felt right then that even if I didn't get into another school, I'd be content going back to Amherst: I know the area, I know the people in the department; I already meet a lot of the requirements for the program since all of my master's work "counts"; despite the climate, I'm excited about the prospect of living there again.

Later the same day, I received the notification that I had also been accepted by UWisconsin-Madison. They are recruiting me hard. I've been in contact with the director who has answered lots of questions and even allayed some of my fears about the two language requirement and how I'll meet it on a short timeline (I have three years to do the PhD). I'm at the point where I'm starting to look at elementary school possibilities (my daughter will be in first grade this fall) and where to live that's convenient to the university and in a good school district (where a professor would like to live).

Getting rejected by UMich was a good thing. I only applied there because my ex-husband lives in Detroit and asked me to do so on the chance that I'd get in and he could see our daughter more regularly (despite the fact that he has since tried to sue me for custody while I'm deployed). Michigan has the top-ranked program of the schools I applied to and it seemed, well, really hard. I'm not a slacker, but I also know the realities of being a single parent and I don't want to have to kill myself in grad school trying to meet requirements and never get to spend time with my kid. Yes, it would have been nice to have my ex nearby to actual do some of the childcare, but then he would have been in a more secure position to sue me for custody again when my program was over and I would be moving back to West Point. Not unhappy about that "reject" at all.

USC - well, I've lived in Columbia before. I applied there because my daughter is spending this year that I'm in Iraq in Greenville, SC. It would be the easiest transition for her since she'd get to see her cousins on a regular basis (Greenville and Columbia are about an hour and a half apart). She goes to a Montessori school now. Private schools would be the only way to go in Columbia as well. However, I'm just not excited about going back to Columbia the way that the possibility of going back to Amherst excites me. I think I can scratch USC off the list.

I have also applied to Indiana University Bloomington, University of Colorado-Boulder, Ole Miss, Penn State and University of Florida.

Any thoughts/suggestions/information about the schools/programs/locations is appreciated.

#89343 - 03/09/10 12:28 AM Re: Graduate School [Re: naomism]
essay
Ching Shih

Well, what excites you may be the key ingredient here. But I will say that my cousin lives just outside of Madison and after visiting this summer, I would say that it seems a nice part of the world.

An embarrassment of riches is what you have here, naomism. You must be doing something right, and I doubt that you will go too far wrong, whatever your choice.

#89346 - 03/09/10 11:30 AM Re: Graduate School [Re: essay]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I agree with essay, naomism. It sounds like you've got a number of good choices on the table.

For what it's worth, everyone I know who has lived in Madison (which is number of people, b/c they have one of the best-known grad programs in my field) has loved it. It's certainly a beautiful city, and if you've already done New England, then you can probably handle the winters.

Wait, I just noticed the part where you took the literature GRE. Are you doing an English/Literature Ph.D.? (For some reason, I thought you were a History prof...)

Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: