Page 8 of 8 « First<45678
Topic Options
#89349 - 03/09/10 05:19 PM Re: Graduate School [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Can't speak to the programs, but I have family in Madison (my father grew up there), and based on my visits will echo that it's a nice city with a lots going on for its size due to UW and being the capital. It's also famous for its farmers' market in season.
#89361 - 03/14/10 08:44 AM Re: Graduate School [Re: CaitlinM2]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

LaSalleUGirl - I have a master's degree in English literature and will be going for the PhD in that field. My BA was a double major in English and history though.

CaitlinM2 - I have been to the farmer's market. I went during the two times I presented at WisCon over respective Memorial Day weekends. Loved it!

...and an update: I was accepted by Ole Miss this week. Oxford is a nice town, the faculty is great though not quite the same fit as Madison would be, and the requirements are the easiest of all the programs I applied to. I have a colleague who's at Ole Miss currently (Faulkner scholar so definitely the right place for him) that I've put some questions to. I really want to know how the elementary schools are (which is another strike against USC). One drawback is that the nearest synagogue is an hour and a half away.

Edited by naomism (03/14/10 08:48 AM)

#89473 - 04/17/10 11:55 PM Re: Graduate School [Re: naomism]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

After much deliberation (and an acceptance from Penn State) I went with UW-Madison. Their program seems the best fit for me, even if it will be a challenge. Penn State, which has been a front-runner during the admissions process, took so long to notify me that I'd gotten in, that I'd already written them off as an option. I'm still a little trepidatious about all of Madison's requirements, but as one of my friends very sagely put it, "you only get your PhD once." I'm going for the challenge.
#89479 - 04/19/10 06:31 PM Re: Graduate School [Re: naomism]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

naomism, I want to say congrats for the many opportunities you earned and for the good decision you made. I am two weeks away from finishing my MA at a school that, it turned out, was a pretty poor fit for me and my interests. Believe me, no amount of other benefits outweigh the feeling that you're not speaking the same language as everybody else.
Page 8 of 8 « First<45678

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: