Page 2 of 11 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#59784 - 06/29/04 04:47 PM Re: So... what do you do?
ken_m
Ching Shih

I sort of have three jobs. Well, two-and-a-half, I guess. Mainly, I am an assistant professor of computer engineering, which means I teach, do research (in robotics) and pray for tenure. Not necessarily in that order of priority. To tie in with previous posts, I've been doing research lately into robotic/computer-based assistive systems to help the blind. I'm hoping to make the guide dog obselete, but we're not there yet. So far, we have developed a widget (glove) that can guide a wearer's hand to pick up a desired object. If the light is good. And the object is simple in appearance. Some of the time.

In my second job, I do safety reviews of manufacturing cells. Essentially, it's my job to say "No [automaker], you can't have people working here until you [install expensive safety device]". Sometimes they don't like that, I've found. This also means that if, God forbid, there were an accident in a cell I had deemed safe, I would be held legally responsible. Of the two, this job seems more likely to lead to an ulcer.

Finally, sometimes people I've worked with in the past call me up to say "We need X or Y software written. Do you have time?" And, because I've never learned to say no, I wind up writing code sitting on my living room sofa in the evenings. This sort of thing was much easier before I had three rabbits hopping around the living room in the evenings, for reasons that should be obvious.

#59785 - 06/29/04 05:38 PM Re: So... what do you do?
Doppelganger
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver, BC

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only weirdo who likes to talk about their job. Heh.

I don't know why I had this assumption that most people on this site would work in traditional writing and editing professions. This thread is proving me wrong.

Hey, listersgirl, nice to see another CBC-er here. Of all the other jobs at the Ceeb, the media library ones intrigue me the most. There's just so... much... stuff around this place, and it goes back decades. The various media archives are massive. I'd love to just bury myself in them.

#59786 - 06/29/04 07:38 PM Re: So... what do you do?
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

Those of us with boring jobs matter, too, so I'm here to represent us.

I? Am a file clerk at GlaxoSmithKline. Twice a day, case report forms come in the mail. I take them from their envelopes and put them into boxes, which a courier takes to the company that does the scanning and data entry (second company is my actual employer, and filing is a damn sight better than data entry, especially since I have almost no supervision and spend hours on the Internet). Then, when the courier returns, I distribute the CRFs to the data managers.

I also manage two file rooms, and am responsible for archiving study-related documents and recalling said documents from archives when that's needed.

Boring as all get-out, but since I appear to lack the motivation to find out what I need to do to finish my BAs, I'm not holding out much hope of finding anything better. It pays the bills and allows me to LiveJournal.

#59787 - 06/29/04 11:57 PM Re: So... what do you do?
Joanna
Ching Shih

I am a freelance writer who works part-time as well in telecommunications. I am currently looking for full-time writing work so if any of you CBC people know of any openings...(I am in Toronto)
#59788 - 06/30/04 09:12 AM Re: So... what do you do?
tygrkatt
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Quote:
Finally, sometimes people I've worked with in the past call me up to say "We need X or Y software written. Do you have time?" And, because I've never learned to say no, I wind up writing code sitting on my living room sofa in the evenings. This sort of thing was much easier before I had three rabbits hopping around the living room in the evenings, for reasons that should be obvious.
But do rabbits jump up on your lap and "help" the way cats do?

I'm in Customer Service/Sales for Verizon, big East Coast phone company. On the phone all day, talking to people who are usually quite stupid (if I repeat an address 3 times and I have it wrong one would think the caller would correct me right? No, not in Baltimore). I actually quite hate it. But this isn't a bitch-about-your-job thread (do we have one of those?).

What I'd like to do I think is teach. I'm thinking either English or US History. I need to get back to school first. I'm hoping that while I'm off work with the baby I can get in a few on-line classes. The big question is will Verizon pay for them while I'm out.

#59789 - 06/30/04 09:27 AM Re: So... what do you do?
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by tygrkatt:
But this isn't a bitch-about-your-job thread (do we have one of those?).
But of course!

The Workplace

#59790 - 06/30/04 10:08 AM Re: So... what do you do?
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

Wow, reading this thread is guaranteed to make me all jealous and send me to the want ads. I work as a production editor at a big scary benefits outsourcing and consulting firm (tygerkatt is probably familiar with it, because her company is one of our clients). Basically, I edit template and client-tailored brochures, cover letters, and other types of correspondence that explain exciting things like how to enroll in your company's health insurance and retirement plans.
#59791 - 06/30/04 10:37 AM Re: So... what do you do?
rocko9
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm trying to beat my own jealousy into submission (and failing miserably), so I am on the same page as goovie. I'm a financial analyst (read: spreadsheet whore) at a hospital in the Chicago area. Basically, I get to make mad monkey love to Excel spreadsheets All.Day.Long. But it pays my bills, allows me to surf the net during work hours, and is a 10 minute commute from home. So I can't complain, right? But I do.

Sigh.

#59792 - 06/30/04 12:25 PM Re: So... what do you do?
Library Girl
Ching Shih

Loc: North Carolina

I am a Distance Education Librarian for a university. This means that I provide support and services for all of our distance learners. So I do things like teach classes on how to do research, assist students with finding materials and searching a few hundred databases, and I do reference desk hours, "virtual reference" (chat and email assistance) and some other fun things.

I love my job. I used to be a regular reference librarian at a much larger university and with this new job I get to know many of the students much better, and they contact me all the time. Thankfully, I am still faculty, but librarians at this university are not tenure-track, so I don't have the pressure to continually publish, so I can do it when I am interested or feel like it, but don't worry about losing my job if I don't do it enough.

#59793 - 06/30/04 12:51 PM Re: So... what do you do?
anotherjen
Ching Shih

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Quote:
tygrkatt said:
I'm in Customer Service/Sales for Verizon, big East Coast phone company. On the phone all day, talking to people who are usually quite stupid (if I repeat an address 3 times and I have it wrong one would think the caller would correct me right? No, not in Baltimore).
Hey, I'm in Baltimore too. Customer service is tough. I feel your pain, I've been there.

I'm among those with the many jobs.

I am a bit of a political floater. I work on political campaigns trying to get people to volunteer to pass out pamphlets or stand on street corners holding signs for my candidates. Easier said than done.

I also do some freelance writing, I take temp jobs when money gets low and I'm pursuing a master's degree.

I like it all, except for the temping. That usually blows. \:\)

Page 2 of 11 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: