Page 3 of 11 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#59794 - 06/30/04 02:01 PM Re: So... what do you do?
amateur
Ching Shih

Quote:
librarians at this university are not tenure-track, so I don't have the pressure to continually publish
Lucky you! Well, not about not getting tenure but about the publication pressure. My last boss was constantly juggling articles with the more pressing day-to-day affairs of our department... I don't even like to think about the amount of overtime she put in or how much time she spent working on articles at home on the weekends.

#59795 - 06/30/04 02:19 PM Re: So... what do you do?
tygrkatt
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Quote:
I am a bit of a political floater. I work on political campaigns trying to get people to volunteer to pass out pamphlets or stand on street corners holding signs for my candidates.
What party?

#59796 - 06/30/04 02:40 PM Re: So... what do you do?
blessures
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

My current (soon to be ex) job is a Field Briefing Executive. Fancy title = admin job. (When I sent out CVs I always put Assistant instead of Executive). Basically I work for a magazine distributor, and the Field Team goes into supermarkets and newsagents and makes sure that our magazines are properly faced. I book hotels rooms, hire cars etc for the team and provide support for writing the brief (tells them their objectives every month). I do an awful lot of photocopying and collating, tweaking spreadsheets and ringing round people to remind them of things.

My new job is something I've been trying to get into for over a year, and it finally happened. I'm going to be a Research Assistant looking at women starting technology businesses in Manchester. I'm thrilled but feeling rather fraudulent considering the amount of bull-shitting that occured in the interview.

I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone does. Chicklit is such a diverse group of people.

#59797 - 07/01/04 12:51 AM Re: So... what do you do?
anotherjen
Ching Shih

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally posted by tygrkatt:
What party?
Democrat. Not too tough in Maryland, but hopefully it will lead to bigger things.

#59798 - 07/01/04 01:29 PM Re: So... what do you do?
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

Quote:
Originally posted by anotherjen:
 Quote:
Originally posted by tygrkatt:
What party?
Democrat. Not too tough in Maryland, but hopefully it will lead to bigger things.
Not too tough, that is, unless you're working in Fredneck County.

#59799 - 07/01/04 02:45 PM Re: So... what do you do?
tygrkatt
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

I get roped into doing a lot of stuff for the Libertarian party. Tygrhusband is the County Chair for Anne Arundel.
#59800 - 07/01/04 03:54 PM Re: So... what do you do?
anotherjen
Ching Shih

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally posted by goovie:
Not too tough, that is, unless you're working in Fredneck County.
Touche. Very true.

#59801 - 07/01/04 05:55 PM Re: So... what do you do?
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

This discussion of political work is veering a bit off-topic. If you would like to discuss the subject further, please feel free to start a thread in News & Views on campaign work.
#59802 - 07/01/04 07:29 PM Re: So... what do you do?
PrimulaMary
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Well, I'm going to have to "political" it a bit more, but I swear it's on-topic.

I'm a media advisor to a Cabinet Minister, meaning that I do press relations, write releases, advisories, articles, etc; do briefings; act as chief speechwriter; "strategise" (if anyone can explain to me what that means, please tell me, cos it's in my job description and I'm stumped); and otherwise pretend I know what I'm doing.

My favourite bit of my job is the speechwriting. I'd love to find a gig solely writing speeches, but until then I like my job fine. There's a lot of writing, and it's good discipline to have to write about things in which you have aboslutely zero interest.

What I would like to do is work outside of government for a while, as press sec for a non-profit, charity, or major interest group with an ethos I believe in.

#59803 - 07/02/04 05:27 AM Re: So... what do you do?
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

PrimulaMary: what a great job (if, well, scary-sounding!). Are you technically a civil servant or a political advisor? Do you have to play neutral all the time?

There are some jobs I would adore that are sadly civil service, and would oblige me to give up my political involvement and, well, also oblige me to learn to keep my views to myself. As I think we all know, that's not one of my key skills. Though in my current job I have to gather and reflect views that aren't mine, and I think I'm pretty good at that, it's all within the ethos of the organisation I work for, and it's all about advocating and enabling LGBT communities, which is a framework that's almost always good enough for me.

Page 3 of 11 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: