Page 4 of 11 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#59804 - 07/02/04 11:30 AM Re: So... what do you do?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

For the next three weeks, I am a food editor for a magazine. I develop recipes, edit and package stories, work with the art department to plan photos, oversee recipe testing, and occasionally write small, sad bits of text like the story I'm currently avoiding by posting here.

After that, I'll be a freelance writer, editor, and (maybe) consultant. Still working in food, just doing it from my home and without a regular paycheck. I do have a regular gig reviewing restaurants, though, and am working on a cookbook. Also, a couple of friends and I are starting up a copywriting and consulting service for food businesses. I figure I'm basically writing marketing-style puff pieces at the magazine anyway, I might as well write actual marketing copy and get paid well for it.

And I'll be working more on writing my novel. At last.

#59805 - 07/02/04 12:26 PM Re: So... what do you do?
sunflow Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Cat, that all sounds so fabulous. I will miss seeing your byline in the magazine, but it sounds like you're moving on to some wonderful opportunities.

I think you definitely have the yummiest job of any posted so far.

#59806 - 07/02/04 05:34 PM Re: So... what do you do?
SeattleShrew
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

Chickliterati are, no surprise, a distinguished lot.

I work for my family's publishing business. We are fairly small, 60 or so titles which constitute about half our sales. The other half is cards and other paper gift products.

Like most people who work in small businesses, I do a wide variety of things. I edit, write copy, go to tradeshows, manage our website and tend our private library of antiquarian children's books and paper ephemera from which we get most of our material. It is a really interesting job, and despite the complications of working with family I quite love it.

#59807 - 07/02/04 05:54 PM Re: So... what do you do?
Pflaume
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by dazey:

There are some jobs I would adore that are sadly civil service, and would oblige me to give up my political involvement and, well, also oblige me to learn to keep my views to myself.
Dazey, not necessarily. I know in the Ontario Public Service, where I work, we are allowed a certain level of political involvement-it's set out in our contract, I believe. The two unions are AMAPCEO and OPSEU, and their websites would tell you the rules. I'd imagine the unions for other jurisdictions would do the same.

You can also work as political staff, if you happen to support a particular party. But, there is no job security there.

#59808 - 07/03/04 12:07 AM Re: So... what do you do?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

sunflow, thanks very much! My byline will continue to appear for some time, though--today I was working on a story slated for June 05. And yes, the job sometimes is literally yummy. Today the test kitchen made an entire Thanksgiving dinner, two pasta dishes, miso soup, roast pork, and seared scallops. I made three kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches, a colleague made four kinds of salmon, and another colleague made a menu of barbecued chicken sandwiches, potato salad, and chocolate chip cookies. Plus, a PR company sent us a shipment of chocolates.

It was all very filling. I will say that that was an unusually busy day in the kitchen; it tends to be feast or famine.

#59809 - 07/03/04 03:03 AM Re: So... what do you do?
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Pflaume - my political involvement is pretty full-on, though - I've been a candidate for the European Parliament and I'm on the national governing council of a political party. As far as I know, people in politically excluded jobs here are allowed to be party members, but aren't allowed to hold party office or run for political office, so I'm out on two counts. I think there are slightly fewer restrictions on people who work for quangos, and one of the things I'd love to do is work for a statuory equalities body doing policy work, so that's always a possibility - but it still feels a bit dicey. I've already made the decision that I don't do media work for the organisation that employs me, because there would be a conflict both ways with my party involvement. Unfortunately, I have a very distinctive name, so people could (and do) make the connection immediately! Scotland's a very small country.

So, it really does come down to either the civil service or politics, and for the moment, the choice is made. I could try and work for the party I'm in, but in many ways I'm glad that I don't! A bit of variety gives me a lot clearer perspective on what I'm doing.

#59810 - 07/03/04 05:57 PM Re: So... what do you do?
PrimulaMary
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Pflaume is right. There is certainly not a whole heap of job security for political staffers. But adrenaline and nerves of How To Pay The Rent If There Is No Job Next Year is a great motivator. And, y'know, it's an incentive to do your job well, I guess...

dazey, I'm unabashedly political -- Ministerial staff are separate from regular public servants. I've known more than one staffer to run for office themselves (and win), and it can be a bit of a juggling act to separate the policy (which the department can work on) from the political (which they cannot).

But I do love it, for all its quirks and challenges.

#59811 - 07/05/04 11:36 AM Re: So... what do you do?
CalGrrl
Ching Shih

Loc: O.C, California

Wow, non-corporate non-profit organizations, political speechwriters..y'all rock.

Me? Why yes, I am a rocket scientist. A fledgling Electrical & Software Engineer in the Aerospace industry.

My dream job however is, owning and running a bookstore/cafe. Or being the POTUS, either one.

#59812 - 07/05/04 12:59 PM Re: So... what do you do?
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

CalGrrl...it must be especally annoying to you when people use the old 'not rocket science' cliche. I can only cringe at the terrible pickup lines you may have endured.
#59813 - 07/05/04 01:01 PM Re: So... what do you do?
studio1
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

Doppelganger, listersgirl, and Joanna, HOW do I not know this about you??

I'm currently working for the man, I mean, for Canwest Global. I work in their promotions department, which is not at all exciting. I schedule promos, I take phone calls from crabby viewers, and for one shining afternoon each week, I get to write closing credit voice overs for one of their digital stations.

I have English and journalism degrees, but there are no jobs where I live, in Winnipeg. I am also a freelance writer, and my goal in life is to move to a bigger market, join the Writer's Guild, get an agent, and write for a living.

Cheers.

Page 4 of 11 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: