Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#60055 - 11/27/05 11:29 PM Online Editing/Proofreading
Aprile
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I am working on my BA in English right now and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a step in the right direction to become a proofreader. I was told by a friend that there are a few proofreaders on this site, so I thought I would ask you.

Thank you very much,
Aprile

#60056 - 11/28/05 03:28 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading
Bibliophile83
Ching Shih

Loc: lost in a book

I would also like to know about this. I'll be graduating in May, and I need a job!

#60057 - 03/02/06 05:50 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading
St. Margaret
Ching Shih

I'm interested, too. I'm an English teacher, but I'm trying to find options in general for work that would be part-time (and, optimally, at-home) when we start a family.
#60058 - 03/03/06 01:50 AM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I know we have some posts around here about editing and proofreading as a profession - I'm one of the people who made some of them. I can't find particulars at the moment, but I'll dig around over the weekend and see what I can find. In the meantime, take a read through the Job Search Support thread .

Editing is not an easy career to come by right now. It's discouraging, but there you go. I've moved on into process improvement and business management, which I really enjoy. But I keep up some freelance editing on the side because I really love it.

#60059 - 03/03/06 12:38 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading
St. Margaret
Ching Shih

Thanks for the lowdown, FishDreamer. This is exactly the inside scoop I need as I plan how I'll survive financially when I have kids! (Part-time teaching sounds better and better!)
#90517 - 01/19/11 03:27 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: St. Margaret]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

A friend of mine is looking for some advice on the tax implications of freelance proofreading, and he asked me to ask you. (He's met some of you -- he came to one of the book swaps in Toronto.)

Here's what he wrote to me:

Quote:
An acquaintance told me about proofreading positions at an e-publishing house. I read a short story, submitted my corrections and received a contract all in two days--for line editor. It apparently pays royalties. I have no idea what working as an independent contractor means (the lines about Worker's Compensation Insurance was a little frightening)

So, do any of you have any experience working as independent contractors in this way? What should he expect when it comes to filing taxes (we're in the U.S.)? He was also curious more generally about whether people with this kind of experience have enjoyed the work and the process. Did it work out OK?

Thanks in advance from both of us for your insights!

#90521 - 01/20/11 03:34 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I work as an independent contractor for a media company. I'm not sure if a royalty situation would be different (I am paid a regular amount monthly for a defined amount of work), but in terms of tax liabilities, companies will usually file 1099 forms for independent contractors.

Most often with 1099s, nothing is withheld for income tax or disability insurance, and the payer does not pay social security tax. This means that the payee is liable for income tax on the earnings, and for the full amount of social security taxes (normally, employers pay half the social security tax, and the other half is withheld from earnings).

A contract should spell out which taxes, if any, the company will pay on the contractor's behalf.

#90522 - 01/20/11 05:47 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: CaitlinM2]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Thank you, CaitlinM! That's very helpful. I'll pass your comments along to my friend.
#90524 - 01/20/11 07:33 PM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I second everything Caitlin said, and want to add there are probably instructions on the IRS official website (make sure it's .gov) about calculating and paying Social Security Tax on 1099 income.
#90525 - 01/21/11 12:19 AM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: GingerCat]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

There are tax forms (of course) associated with calculating these taxes. Schedule C-EZ is for reporting profit and calculating income tax for an individually owned business (your category as a contractor), and Schedule SE is for calculating Self Employment Tax (aka Social Security Tax for the self-employed). They're straightforward, and are filed as adjuncts to your 1040 (in the list of forms on http://www.irs.gov, they're under 1040, as are their instructions).
#90534 - 01/23/11 09:58 AM Re: Online Editing/Proofreading [Re: CaitlinM2]
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

Also if the income is not immaterial, he may need to file a quarterly estimated payment with the IRS.
Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: