Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#61596 - 01/23/02 08:16 PM The Art of Making a Home
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

given that we define art quite broadly here, i thought i would throw this out there: what have you done or what are you contemplating doing to make your living space a "home" -- furnishings, decorations, paint, wallcoverings, flooring, plants, artwork, window treatments, etc. anything goes. tell us about it, ask questions, vent, etc. i'll start off with one problem and one thing i'm very happy with.

i just moved into a new home in november, and my current hang up (no pun intended) is window treatments. i am totally paralyzed about choosing these. some of the windows have perfectly servicable blinds that blend in well enough with my decorating tastes, but others are completely bare and really need to be covered. for some reason i feel like this is an irreversable decision, even though, rationally, i know it isn't, and i don't even know where to start.

on a more positive note, i love paint and am thrilled with the rooms i painted before i moved in. the living room and foyer are a medium colonial grey. (and let me give huge props to my brother for helping me with the painting -- without his ladders and skills this room never would have gotten painted. the living room has a very tall cathedral ceiling and the foyer is two stories high. he rocks!) my dining room is a fairly dark forest green (called "wet grass"), that makes me happy every time i look at it. but the best is my bedroom -- three walls and the back of a plant shelf are a subdued mauve/purple and the contrasting wall (in front of the plant shelf) is a deep plum. i *love* it.

your turn...

[This message has been edited by harper (edited January 23, 2002).]

#61597 - 01/24/02 05:37 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
kari
Ching Shih

Loc: Orange Co NY

we've just tried to finish up a big round of improvements to our apartment - it's all about making a HOME this year, you're right.

* we put up shelves, etc. with liberal use of wall anchors and no worries about the future,
* we painted the downstairs bathroom LAVENDER. it is so. nice.
* we painted the upstairs and very tiny bathroom white all over, a nice semi-gloss so it's sparkly clean.
* we hung one of those huge metal star things with the holes in it from the ceiling, it holds a whole string of christmas lights and is very nice at night.
* I hung (ahem, glued...) a canopy above my bed - nothing serious, just very simple sheer white/shimmery fabric.
* and the masterpiece.... we COVERED THE COUCH! it was a freebie special, very ugly and tweedy, and part of a sectional so it was a supremo pain, but we covered it in denim! It's more than a cover, it's more of a reupholstering job. and it was terrible. I'm never going to do that again.

So now we have a suitable apartment, we just have to figure out how to use the space best - it's really very big, so I see some rearraingments in our future. And, some entertainment!

#61598 - 01/24/02 05:57 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
SusyQ
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

Great topic! As far as window treatments are concerned, I, who am a complete dunce at DIY home projects, nevertheless managed to pick up some hardware at Pier 1 and drape a sheer scarf over my bedroom window, to great effect.

harper, I may be asking you painting questions later this year. My apartment desperately needs to repainted, but I've never done it before and I kind of don't know where to start, other than going to Home Depot and throwing myself on someone's mercy.

If anyone could answer this now, though, I'd be grateful. I am looking to buy a new couch this year. A full-size one. I want it to be all cushy and comfortable but also fabulous--preferably a dark red Art Deco-style piece. I've done a Google search and looked at a numbr of on-line furniture stores to get ideas, and I'm not seeing anything close. Anyone know a good source for that kind of furniture?

[This message has been edited by SusyQ (edited January 24, 2002).]

#61599 - 01/25/02 09:15 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

I love decorating and redecorating. For me a home is all about colour and about putting up all the things you love around you. I actually like to keep my walls white and my furniture neutral and then go crazy with colour with the curtains and big, comfy pillows and lots of framed artwork and old record albums and posters and photographs on the walls. Wherever there's space between bookshelves of course. Is there anything better than books to make a home cozy? I think not.
Recently I had great fun redecorating my bathroom. I found this great white and hot pink shower curtain that somehow reminded me of Charles Rennie Mackintosh pink so I just went with a scheme of white, pink and black (it was a rather drab olive green and dirty yellow before) and I smile everytime I go into my bathroom now. It's definately worth the effort and expense of making your home comfortable and an expression of you.
The other thing I love doing is tabletops. I love getting an unfinished table top (IKEA has very cheap ones) and staining them in different patterns. Or even the cheap melamine tables - with a good primer, you can paint right over them. My bedside table was a unstained wooden square top with thin black legs. I painted it a warm vanilla yellow colour, stamped out some of my favourite poems in brown, put a crackle glaze over it and then rubbed raw umber into the cracks to antique it. I love the effect (when you can see it under the piles of books I have waiting to be read)

#61600 - 01/25/02 05:38 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

that poem table sounds awesome! i've only stained a piece of furniture once and it wasn't anything elaborate -- a plain wood bookcase that i made dark green -- but, to this day, it makes me smile when i see it. i've been thinking about doing more furniture, but haven't made the leap yet. how did you stamp the poems on the table?

susyq, i'd be happy to field any painting questions you may have. i'm no expert, but i do enjoy doing it. i love the immediate results and the satification of knowing that i did it.

[This message has been edited by harper (edited January 25, 2002).]

#61601 - 01/25/02 10:35 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
october
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Two words, people. 'Trading Spaces'. Gadzooks, I love that show.

I am constantly doing something to my house. We have an 80-year-old farm house that was moved in to town in the seventies. The house is so old the bathroom is an addition, about three inches lower than the kitchen floor to which it is attached. It's like someone came by and stapled a shed to my house.

To make my house a home, I have lots and lots of pictures. I'm a photographer by trade, so there are tons of black and whites all over the house. I also use deep colours. I find them comforting and inviting. I just painted the spare room dark green and put down new hardwood-looking laminate flooring. I even made curtains! (Just learned to sew) My living room is an adobe colour. I did this really cool thing in the kitchen with barn board that I turned into wainscotting. I was on *fire* all summer.

I'm heading to Calgary tomorrow to paint a friend's bathroom, and another friend called and asked me to come up and do something to her daughter's room. I love painting.

harper, if you want window treatments on the cheap, but still snazzy, find a store that sells sari fabric. There should be a remnant bin where you can get end of the roll stuff for cheap-cheap, and the materials are all so beautiful. I got enough to make 10 pillows, two curtain panels and drapes for my spare room. (It's like Aladdin's palace in there.) for 20 bucks, all different designs. So pretty. You can go to any hardware store and get a curtain rod that fits and drape your new fabric over it, like SuzyQ did with her scarf. I'm telling you, two metres of pure silk for three bucks!

This may sound odd, but wood is a really nice accent. Natural wood or a nice stain. It brings that whole 'life' thing in to a room, very warm. A nice table or shelves or even just some wooden IKEA frames. Dude, I can hook you up with some barn board. :-)

#61602 - 01/27/02 11:44 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Heh. I've been working on this whole "home" thing lately. We've lived in this house for almost a year and a half and it wasn't until two weeks ago I started hanging art on the walls. See, we're planning to refinish the hardwoods and take the awful dark fake wood paneling off the living room wall, plus we want to paint because all the non-wood walls are white. So I never hung anything because I was waiting for the money/time/energy to redo the walls.

But I got tired and lonely in my bare walled house. So I hung up my grandfather's plaque that's a reproduction of the one that was left on the moon (he worked on the Apollo program and his name is in the capsule). I hung my favorite fish painting in the bedroom. And I started hanging the Micronesian woven straw things. We're still planning to paint etc., but we haven't had the money to do it and we're both so opinionated it's going to take a while before we agree on colors.

We want to paint the four bedrooms in the colors of the seasons. So far I think we've agreed on the Autumn room. The walls will be a cafe au lait/toast color, and we plan to put up moulding and paint it green, orange, and yellow. Actually, that's my plan. I think Mr D wants red, orange, and yellow. We'll see. I have a very hard time visualizing these things, so he has to work pretty hard to convince me.

I wish we had money. Our house was built in 1950 and still has the original wiring (which hasn't yet been overloaded by our four-computer network, but I'm sure it'll happen). We need to replace the plumbing. The yard has never been maintained, and we want to take out the rhododendrons and put in bamboo. The bathroom is PINK. Try finding a pink toilet seat! The old one broke, and we had to replace it with a grey one because the pink one was a) the wrong color and b) over $100.

Window treatments are another area I'm lacking. We have blue blinds of the very cheapest sort in the living room, and all the other ones are that lovely taupe color. I want curtains, but we have to paint first. And I always go for the plainest possible look. I don't wear patterns, and I don't buy patterns, so finding something we both like that is plain enough for me and interesting enough for him is going to be a challenge.

#61603 - 01/28/02 09:32 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Harper, re: the stamping of the table. I bought a simple set of letter stamps (they were about 30pt big) and a brown stamp pad and did them all one letter by one letter. It was very time consuming but worth it I think. For puncuation, I also found a brown marker that was similar in tone although now I think of it, you write out all the poems with a brown marker anyways. (I have very illegible handwriting). Have a selection of poems of all different lengths so you can slip a small one into small places.
Have fun!

Oh and again I envy the British chicklits who have Changing Places (the British version of Trading Spaces) on the telly all the time. We get the odd season, probably about two years behind sometimes. I like it better than the American version, or the Canadian (The Decorating Challenge) because I think the designers are better, definately funnier and really, a modern suburban townhouse can't really compete with decorating a 17th century manor or a lighthouse or a farmhouse in France.

#61604 - 04/28/02 05:07 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

bumping this up for you trading spaces fanatics out there (and everyone else). that show really makes me want to start some projects around the house. if only i had amy wynn to build things for me...

i have made no progress on my window treatment dilemma. actually, i've made negative progress because i found some shades that i really like but that i can't really use anywhere in my house.

#61605 - 04/29/02 12:30 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I love this topic! I was reading along through and actually was shocked to see I'd posted something. We got the dark panelling off the living room wall back in February. It makes the room so much better! Even with the yellow contact cement and holes from pulling off the panels it looked better. A day of sanding and a day of spackel and then white paint. Not enough, and it doesn't match, but it looks SO much better.

I've got an unstained oak bookcase I've been meaning to stain for ten years. I'm thinking I'll paint it along with the three-drawer dresser. White with green drawers/shelves. I'm also thinking of writing my favorite quotations down the sides or on the top. Not sure how to do calligraphy with a paintbrush. Maybe if I use a clear stain over, so the ink doesn't run? Hmm. If it's taken me ten years to get to the point where I want to do something, it might be a bit ambitious to think I'll actually paint, write, and stain. But I'll keep thinking about it.

#61606 - 05/11/04 10:02 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
lonebuffs
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA, USA

Bumping this because Mr. Lonebuffs and I are about to move into our first home (whee!) in a scant six weeks, and I need paint advice.

The house is a raised ranch, so painting the living room (that transitions into the 1.5 story foyer, that transitions into the hallway, that transitions into the dining area... you get the idea) is somewhat problematic. There's a white brick fireplace separating the living room from the dining area, and we've ordered a muted red sofa and loveseat, and a warm buttery yellow chair and ottoman. I want to keep it warm and cozy - was thinking of a muted tan or other color; something not white (I've always done white, time to try something new!) but something that won't clash too much... any ideas?

#61607 - 05/11/04 03:16 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
MamaAlanna
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland

Quote:
Originally posted by kari:
we've just tried to finish up a big round of improvements to our apartment - it's all about making a HOME this year, you're right.
* we painted the downstairs bathroom LAVENDER. it is so. nice.
 Quote:
Originally posted by SuxyQ:
harper, I may be asking you painting questions later this year. My apartment desperately needs to repainted, but I've never done it before and I kind of don't know where to start, other than going to Home Depot and throwing myself on someone's mercy..
??? Where do y'all live that you can paint apartments? In all our perapatetic lives, we've never lived in an apartment that would let you paint it your colors, even if you promised to put it back to Landlord White before you left.

#61608 - 05/12/04 07:55 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

lonebuffs - Pick a tan or beige color that you like, or something equally neutral, and then put a glaze over it to give it texture. That way you get rid of the white, you have a color that doesn't clash, but you have visual interest instead of blah. My officemate and his wife painted their living room like this and it looks fantastic. We painted our dining room a color called Cancun Sand, a very pale yellow, just to break up the white (we left the trim, moldings and ceiling white) and it works well with our dark wood furniture and allows me to use a whole gamut of colors for placemats and tablecloths.
#61609 - 05/14/04 11:47 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

lonebuffs-
you could try something a little darker, too. like a dark sand- and keep the trim white or alabaster like naomism suggested. do you have access to a Sherwin Williams store? They have a few colors that would work with the red sofa/ butter chair (which we also have!) like Balanced Beige SW7037, Tony Taupe SW7038, Relaxed Khaki SW6149 or Universal Khaki SW6150. (I have SW Color Pallet thingy which has every single color they offer!)
Whatever you do, don't be afraid of using of color; the intial jump from white to color can be scary/ shocking. The husband and I have jumped clear over that hurdle and have everything from dark plum to sunflower to billiards room red. I really want to paint something chocolate/ coffee, but our new house has a lot of dark wood trim, so it'd look horrible.

#61610 - 05/18/04 12:15 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
lonebuffs
Ching Shih

Ooh, I love these ideas! Thank you, naomism and sophietje!

We just started looking at paint colors seriously last night (I dragged Mr. Lonebuffs to Home Depot - always a good time). I think I'm going to go with a dusty, dark purply color for our bedroom. Ooh, I can't wait! Only 5 weeks until we move in!

#61611 - 05/18/04 05:16 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
naomism
Ching Shih

We painted our bedroom purple too! It's a color called "Purple Blanket." It took a tinted primer and two coats but the effect was well worth it because the color is very dark and rich.
#61612 - 05/18/04 05:44 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

"Purple Blanket"?! That sounds like my idea of perfection. My bedroom is painted in two tones of purple, and it is kind of like a purple blanket...
#61613 - 05/20/04 01:03 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaAlanna:
??? Where do y'all live that you can paint apartments? In all our perapatetic lives, we've never lived in an apartment that would let you paint it your colors, even if you promised to put it back to Landlord White before you left.
I live in Seattle and just figured out that I've had nine separate apartments here since I graduated from college. In one of them I painted the trim a dark green (it had been a particularly bruise-like shade of purple) and the landlords simply didn't notice. Other than that, I've never lived in a place where I could paint, until recently. My husband and I moved out of an apartment after three years and were asked by the management "Did you paint?" We replied "Um...no, didn't know we could." Apparently in that complex they didn't mind if you painted as long as it either a. looked nice or b. you painted it back to white on your own expense. But it had simply never occurred to us to ask.

Our current place is cool about painting too, and my husband had big plans for every room, but then we decided to move out of state next month so the painting plans have been ditched. \:\)

Getting back to the topic...my husband and I have lived in three apartment since we've been together (not counting the studio I lived in when we met) and we've always seemed to have this hesitation about putting much effort into making the apartments "homey." I would love to have a wall or area with framed family photographs, but I can never seem to break through the "Oh, we're just here temporarily, why bother" mentality. But any little touch we do end up making makes such a difference.

In my last place I realized I never truly feel at home in a place until I've decorated it for Christmas, and so after Christmas I finally started working on some more decorating. (And then moved.)

Part of our out-of-state move is our firm plan to buy a house within a year, so I'm really looking forward to having free reign. Oh, and to not moving anymore.

Edited to disguise substandard tagging skills.

#61614 - 05/20/04 01:11 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

Quote:
Originally posted by naomism:
We painted our bedroom purple too! It's a color called "Purple Blanket." It took a tinted primer and two coats but the effect was well worth it because the color is very dark and rich.
We must all think alike for the purple bedrooms! Our paint color is called 'Plummy'. Very relaxing!

#61615 - 05/28/04 03:00 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
listersgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Heh, my bedroom is dark purple, too. It's fantastic. That was actually one of the things we liked about this apartment - the people before us had painted, so the walls weren't white.
#61616 - 05/28/04 03:35 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
curlgirl
Ching Shih

Oh, I want to paint my bedroom purple too! Though, somehow, I don't think my landlord will go for that. Another time, another place.
#61617 - 06/01/04 07:33 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
Carrie
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Oregon

It's amazing what a coat of paint can do for a room.

I'm stuck in a rather annoying living situation that I could change, but it isn't so bad that I want to pay rent. My husband and I got tired of living in Sweden, so moved in with my dad until we can find jobs somewhere. At first I just lived with the plain white blah-ness of it all since this is supposed to be temporary, but last weekend I went totally nuts in the bathroom.

I painted the walls a pale lavender, then trimmed it out in a deep, deep purple. I took down the old drab mirrors that were peeling and put up a new, cheap Wal-Mart mirror. I hung a plant over the toilet, put a purple orchid in a corner, changed out the drawer handles, added a cheap new window treatment and strategically placed flower Wallsies (great new product! Wallpaper cut-outs) through out the room. I also spray painted some shelves silver.

At first I was overwhelmed with my color choices, but now I'm starting to think it looks totally cool. My dad tells me it looks like an exploded nightmare and makes gagging sounds every time he goes in there (rarely, since he has his own area of the house). I don't know what my husband will say (he's been out of town for two weeks).

Now, for the rest of the house. . .

#61618 - 07/14/04 04:00 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
Julie620
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

Does anyone have any recommendations on sources for reasonably-priced furniture? Specifically, we need a TV armoire, and we can't find anything we like (that we can agree on). I've been stalking Craigslist for a month, but nothing. I've also tried Overstock.com, Pier 1, Target, and Ikea, and still nothing. Any more suggestions?
#61619 - 07/14/04 06:47 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
PrimulaMary
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Julie620, have you thought about stalking through second-hand stores, junk shops and auctions to pick up something old and pretty crappy, and then restoring it yourself? I have a brilliant wooden bookcase that started life as a black cupboard -- I took the doors off, stripped and sanded like a mad thing, and then stained it in a warm honey colour. It looks brilliant, and is one of my favourite pieces of furniture. I've also got a great silky-oak chest of drawers that I'm in the midst of restoring. It's a weekend or two's worth of work, but it can save a heap of money and give you an individual, high-quality piece of furniture.
#61620 - 07/15/04 11:23 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

I second PrimulaMary. Garage sales, consignment stores, flea markets are good sources too. "Antique" stores tend to be pricey, you have to scour for the bargains. I don't buy any new wood furniture - always buy second hand and either fix up or just leave it "distressed". If you look at the shape and structure of the item & like it, you can always paint it, strip it, whatever. Buying new and funky knobs for any drawers is a great way to dress it up too.
#61621 - 07/22/04 08:00 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
alizarin
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally posted by listersgirl:
That was actually one of the things we liked about this apartment - the people before us had painted, so the walls weren't white.
The apartment I'm moving into in September is already painted too, which was definitely a plus. The living room has one deep red wall, the bedroom is a light green and the bathroom is butter yellow. So we'll be going for a Gothic look with the living room and I'm not sure what to do with the rest yet.

I had been worried that my burgundy rug would clash, but then my water heater broke and the rug was completely ruined so that solved that problem.

Decorating-wise, I tend to be all about 2 things: Interesting art and creative lighting. I'm a painter so I have a lot of my own art, but I've also scored tons of interesting framed art cheap at discount home stores. Lighting-wise I'm all about funky yet practical, especially paper lanterns and the occasional colored lightbulb. You can really have several different looks and moods for any room if you have enough lighting options.

#61622 - 07/23/04 09:34 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
apparently
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: hoboken, nj

I'm interested in the kinds of things you can do to make a house feel "homey" apart from decorating. While looking for our current house, we looked at one that was clearly impractical for our situation, but made me feel goshdarn happy just to be standing in it. The owners were an architect and a Waldorf school teacher, and the house was everything you might expect from such a pair -- like a fantasy kindergarden for adults, but not at all kitschy or contrived. The best way I can describe it is creatively ergonomic: the house just thrummed "interesting people do good work here".

Ever since, I have been trying to puzzle out exactly what details made that house so extraordinary. Here's the short list:

-- round wood dining table with a low pendant lamp over it. It seemed like the owners must play a lot of games here, and have a lot of rousing table-thumping discussions.

-- lots of hooks for hanging coats, purses, etc.

-- great big kitchen sink

-- plenty of unusual art-show art: an open-case clock, a glass shelf that looked like an iceberg, paintings, a model house, a dried tumbleweed-looking thing with christmas lights in it

-- pleasing doorbell

-- Backyard tiny but divine: very lush, with a koi pond, roofed deck, and my absolute favorite feature, a bike shed that looked like an asian temple.

Clean, warm, and happy. If it only had parking, two extra bedrooms and more than 1 bath, I would have moved in and never left.

What makes a house feel so good?

#61623 - 08/11/04 12:22 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
portuguesa_nova
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by Perthelia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MamaAlanna:
[qb]

Getting back to the topic...my husband and I have lived in three apartment since we've been together (not counting the studio I lived in when we met) and we've always seemed to have this hesitation about putting much effort into making the apartments "homey." I would love to have a wall or area with framed family photographs, but I can never seem to break through the "Oh, we're just here temporarily, why bother" mentality. But any little touch we do end up making makes such a difference.
I have the same problem...I've always lived in places where I know I won't be there anymore once the lease is up and for that reason always feel like its to worth it to really make it my own.

And while I love the idea of Trading Spaces, and watch the show quite a bit, its a bit freaky most of the time.

"So...how do you like your couch made from sponge painted cases of 7-Up???...and what about this wall, we glued styrofoam packing tape all over it and spray painted it silver! Isn't it wonderful?"

I wish I were a gay man living in New York. The Fab Five seem to know what's up when it comes to interior decorating.

God bless em', but my own gay friends would much rather paint my fingernails (or their own) than my walls.

#61624 - 12/30/04 09:39 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
lonebuffs
Ching Shih

This is waaay after the fact, but I thought I'd just follow up on my purple bedroom dreams. Mr. Lonebuffs and I finally got around to painting our bedroom in the new house back in October the most beeeyootiful shade of purple, also known as "Purple Haze" by Benjamin Moore (oh, that's just too corny for words). I had no idea just how much I would really love the color, but it's absolutely perfect for a bedroom, and I recommend it enthusiastically to anyone and everyone. I really ought to post a picture or something. But that would require some effort on my part, which is difficult to come by this time of year...

And apparently, that house you described above sounds absolutely divine!

#61625 - 12/30/04 11:58 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
mrstripeypants
Ching Shih

Loc: Bremerton, WA

Ooohh lonebuffs a purple bedroom! It sounds lovely. I have a purple, well, mauve, well, Martha Stewart Thyme Flower, dining room and I adore it. I never thought of putting that color in the bedroom. Hmmm.
#61626 - 02/19/07 09:18 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
vanillabean
Ching Shih

I live in an apartment, but I've painted my walls pale pink and added prints of John William Waterhouse paintings. A candle here and there, framed photos, books, a plant, nice lighting, makes it all work for me.
#61627 - 02/19/07 11:06 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

I'm a consultant, and got tired of paying a mortgage on a home I never saw - so I live in hotels. Turning a hotel room into a home is a lot easier than you might think. On long term assignments, I've usually an extended stay hotel, so I have a kitchen, living room, bedroom (some of these places are larger than my first post-college apartment). Making it my home involves "The Three C's"... clothes, car, and cats. I've got two boxes for other stuff, one of which is devoted to books and pictures, and the other for kitchen things. Unpack it all, Mapquest a grocery store, a bookstore, and a gym, and I've got a home!

As a lifelong accumulator of "stuff", it's amazing how little I miss what I've got in storage, and how little it takes to make a new place into a home. The cats are key \:\)

#61628 - 02/23/07 01:23 AM Re: The Art of Making a Home
Frannie Glass
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego

This looks like the best place to post this question, if there's a better one please feel free to direct me to it.

I'd like to hang some photographs in my bathroom, but I'm afraid of them getting ruined (one of them is signed the amazing Julie Newmar and I would just cry). Is there something I can do to prevent damage from steam? Is this even something I need to worry about? Anything else I should keep in mind?

#61629 - 02/23/07 12:25 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

If it were me I probably wouldn't choose to display photographs in the bathroom, for the reasons you mention. If you are going to do it, get them well-framed and make sure the photograph surface isn't touching the glass. This will allow it to breathe and any moisture that gets in will naturally evaporate. Frankly, displaying photographs is bad for them, and will eventually fade them over time. The worst thing is UV rays, so make sure they are not in direct sunlight wherever you display them. If you see any signs of deterioration, take them down immediately and store in a cool, dark place.

/photographic archives geekery

#61630 - 02/23/07 12:41 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by viva:
I'm a consultant, and got tired of paying a mortgage on a home I never saw - so I live in hotels. Turning a hotel room into a home is a lot easier than you might think. On long term assignments, I've usually an extended stay hotel, so I have a kitchen, living room, bedroom (some of these places are larger than my first post-college apartment). Making it my home involves "The Three C's"... clothes, car, and cats. I've got two boxes for other stuff, one of which is devoted to books and pictures, and the other for kitchen things. Unpack it all, Mapquest a grocery store, a bookstore, and a gym, and I've got a home!

As a lifelong accumulator of "stuff", it's amazing how little I miss what I've got in storage, and how little it takes to make a new place into a home. The cats are key \:\)
I've done this and what I really missed were my books. And the dogs.

#61631 - 02/23/07 01:43 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home
tombo
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Frannie Glass,

Rather than displaying photographs, what about having copies made and displaying the copies?

#90419 - 12/28/10 07:02 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home [Re: tombo]
naomism
Ching Shih

This fall I made one of the major purchases of my home-decorating life: 13 bookcases.

I got tired of the Ikea billys that kept falling apart (I move frequently, every few years) and I had everything in storage for a year while I was in Iraq. It was finally time to do something more permanent, and well, respectful, for my books. Two of the bookcases (in a hallway) are actually for DVDs (according to the manufacturer) but they are perfect for paperbacks and aren't as deep as the other. 11 of the 13 are 6', 2 are 4'. I also happen to have a couple of niches in my current apartment that are displaying the Persephones and my Janet Evanoviches.

Not all of the bookcases are full--yet, but since I'm back in grad school for a PhD in English (and given my book-buying habits), that's only a matter of time. The best part is that all of the books have a home right now and will for the foreseeable future in beautiful, dark wood, substantial bookcases. The only thing that could be better is to move into a house with built-in bookcases.

#90432 - 12/31/10 03:37 PM Re: The Art of Making a Home [Re: naomism]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I'm really jealous, naomism. I definitely need more, or taller, bookcases--I have books stacked all over my bedroom dressers and in my bedroom closet. I don't know why I keep putting off getting more. Well, I do want to pare down my book collection a bit first. But perhaps I'll make getting new, and nicer, bookcases a resolution for 2011.
Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: