StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hooray!
#90043 - 09/16/10 10:00 PM Re: Renting an apartment [Re: StephA]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

LaSalleUBoy and I are in the process of moving into a new apartment. Our old management company is gutting and renovating every unit in the complex and then doubling the rent (and taking out the previously-included utilities). We live in a transitional neighborhood, and I just can't for the life of me figure out who they think is going to pay $1600 to live here, even with in-unit laundry facilities.

Anyway, we found a new apartment about 1/2 mile away. It's about the same size (and slightly larger in some ways). The big downside is that the kitchen is teeny. It will be a serious adjustment after eight years of giant kitchen + pantry. We're going to use the dining room as a kitchen annex for storage and prep space, though, and I think it'll be OK.

We got the keys on Tuesday night and discovered that none of the things that the management company was supposed to do (up to and including cleaning) have been done. The entry closet still reeks of cat urine. The kitchen cabinets were coated with half an inch of clotted grease, and the shelves were grimy with food residue. The refrigerator had some large brown stains on the front; all I did was wipe it lightly with a little Soft Scrub and they came right off -- so the upshot is that no one even TRIED to get them off. It took me about six hours total to get the tiny kitchen into anything resembling working order, and I'm still not done. I sprayed the hell out of the stinky entry closet with Nature's Miracle. I'm hoping that does the trick, because there's no way I can put anything in there until it stops smelling.

Once I finally get the apartment to a state where I don't feel like I need to wearing a hazmat suit, the really fun part begins. We're going to move most of the boxes, all of the bookshelves, and some of the other smaller pieces of furniture on Saturday. We have movers coming for the big stuff on the following Saturday, so the idea is that I can use the intervening week to unpack and put some stuff away.

Oh, right, and then there's the part where my super-neurotic and change-averse cat is going to have a meltdown somewhere in the middle of all of this.

I will be so glad when this is over. I hate moving.

#90044 - 09/17/10 12:54 AM Re: Renting an apartment [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
essay
Ching Shih

Wow. All, I can do is offer you my commiserations as fellow renter who has been through a bit, and hope that it all turns out to be great in the longer run. And good vibes for your cat, poor creature.
Page 10 of 10 « First<678910

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: