Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#61823 - 04/27/03 06:47 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Mara
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Thanks Alizarin! I think the luck has rubbed off - my flatmate and I are putting in applications for two gorgeous places today.

Not too many other people seem to be apartment hunting at the moment, and as we both have a good rental record and stable jobs, I'm crossing my fingers that we should be fine.

#61824 - 05/04/03 08:13 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

In mid-June, my husband and I are going to be looking for an apt. in San Francisco -- I've been checking out some listings from home and have a question: what the heck does "in-law" mean?

Any advice or insight on the SF area is greatly appreciated. I've actually been heartened by some of the listings we've seen -- looks like we can get away with paying what we pay in Cambridge -- as well as a few of my friends who live there now and assure me it's such a renter's market at this point that a lot of them are thinking of moving if they can't re-negotiate their rent!

#61825 - 05/04/03 10:14 PM Re: Renting an apartment
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

keckler, an "in-law" is a small apartment, usually behind or semidetached from a house--called that because it's where the mother-in-law would stay. I think they're usually rented out by homeowners. I've seen nice ones, but in my opinion you really have to like your landlords (or fellow tenants) to make renting one viable.

For San Francisco apartment hunting, I definitely recommend craigslist. (www.craigslist.org--I couldn't get the instant code thingy to work for some reason) And also, lately, targeting neighborhoods you like and just looking around in them, once you're on the ground here. I love, love, love my neighborhood (Bernal Heights), it's reasonably affordable for S.F., and I see a lot of "for rent" signs right now. If you have the luxury of looking for a few days, I highly recommend this method.

If I spot anything fantastic-sounding on a flyer or hear about anything coming available soon, I'll let you know.

ETA: Good lord, I hadn't looked at rental listings in a while. Prices are really falling. $2300 for a 2-bedroom in Pacific Heights? Two years ago, that would have been so much below market value as to be unheard of.

#61826 - 05/04/03 11:59 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Mara
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Moving into super-funky inner city apartment this Thursday. Hurrah!

Can't wait as I've been sleeping on a mattress on a friend's floor for the past month in her teeny-tiny apartment.

#61827 - 05/05/03 08:11 AM Re: Renting an apartment
studio1
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

At 2:30 am Saturday, two grown men leaned on my buzzer for about ten minutes. I don't know who, I don't know why, I don't know if it'll happen again. Gave me a freakin' heart attack.

Apartments are grrrrrreeeeeeeeat. :rolleyes:

#61828 - 05/05/03 09:34 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Keckler
Ching Shih

Quote:
For San Francisco apartment hunting, I definitely recommend craigslist. (www.craigslist.org--I couldn't get the instant code thingy to work for some reason) And also, lately, targeting neighborhoods you like and just looking around in them, once you're on the ground here. I love, love, love my neighborhood (Bernal Heights), it's reasonably affordable for S.F., and I see a lot of "for rent" signs right now. If you have the luxury of looking for a few days, I highly recommend this method.
If I spot anything fantastic-sounding on a flyer or hear about anything coming available soon, I'll let you know.
ETA: Good lord, I hadn't looked at rental listings in a while. Prices are really falling. $2300 for a 2-bedroom in Pacific Heights? Two years ago, that would have been so much below market value as to be unheard of.
Thanks so much, Cat -- I really, really appreciate the effort. Bernal Heights is one of the neighborhoods I am coveting but we are worried about access to Hwy 101 (or whatever what goes to Palo Alto for the husband's job) and public transport to whatever would get me to a job downtown.

We've actually seen listings for 2-BR for $1600 in Pac Heights and Russian Hill on renttech.com and metrorent.com! A friend told me craigslist.com was good for jobs but that when she looked for apts there -- she got an apt in Hayes Valley off renttech.com -- it was a bait and switch deal.

We will be in SF from Friday, June 13 to Wednesday, (on a red eye back to Boston) June 18th. I really hope it's enough time to find a place because we can't spare any other time to get out there and Mark is talking about living in a Residence Inn until we find a place if we don't find a place the first time out. I'm too worried about our two cats' emotional well-being to be okay with that!

#61829 - 05/06/03 12:57 AM Re: Renting an apartment
cat
Ching Shih

keckler, Bernal has the best access to 101 in the city! That and Potrero Hill. I commute down to Menlo Park/Palo Alto, too, and I live about four blocks from the 101 on-ramp (the Cesar Chavez one; the south side of Bernal Heights is easy to access the Bayshore on-ramp). Being here cuts about 20 minutes or more off the commute south, as opposed to in the center or north side of town.

On my side of the hill (the north side), it's about a 10-minute walk to the 24th and Mission BART station, which used to put me downtown quickly and easily when I worked there. I'm a huge Bernal Heights booster, obviously, but if you can find a place nearish to the BART line, it's great getting downtown that way. Also, the MUNI is not fantastic, but it's certainly possible to commute downtown that way--I used to do it sometimes when I worked at (yet another) place that wasn't that convenient to BART.

#61830 - 05/06/03 12:29 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Keckler
Ching Shih

Hey, if I can get downtown -- or wherever I get a job -- by either BART or the MUNI, I'd consider myself supremely happy!
#61831 - 05/06/03 01:17 PM Re: Renting an apartment
bookchick
Ching Shih

I want to throw in a question about the SF/Bay Area housing search. I'm moving from Michigan, and I have practically no experience renting an apartment (long story). What I want to do is come and find a place in July, and sign a lease that will enable me to move in in late August. Does that sound feasible? Would rental companies hold apartments for you, for a month or so, and would they want another deposit for it? And should I start looking even earlier than July? Aaaah. So many questions. (I want to live in the East Bay, near BART, but otherwise I'm not too picky ... though if anyone knows of a place in Rockridge, sign me up!)
#61832 - 05/06/03 01:28 PM Re: Renting an apartment
cat
Ching Shih

bookchick, I was last looking about 3 years ago, when the rental market was much hotter. At that time, it was well-nigh impossible to find a place that would allow you to hold off on the start of the lease--landlords wanted (and could get) someone in the door as soon as a place was vacant. That may have changed, especially in the East Bay, since there are more vacancies now and landlords are more willing to be flexible. You may end up having to pay for a little more of August's rent than you would like, though.
Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: