Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#61863 - 08/09/06 04:51 PM Re: Renting an apartment
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Where in NJ will you be, nanamik? I live in Philadelphia, and might be able to rustle up some suggestions for South Jersey, but I don't know whether they'd hold for Central/North Jersey.

As for the furniture question, I think it depends on roughly how big the apartment is going to be. I mean, if you're planning on a studio, you're not going to have room for much more than the bedroom set anyway. I think moving first and acquiring furniture afterwards sounds like the best strategy, because then you can specifically get furniture that suits the space, rather than trying to cram a sectional sofa into a studio or a massive entertainment center into a charming little place with lots of nooks and crannies, but no expansive wall space. Know what I mean?

I can't speak to the movers questions, since we've always relied on roping family and friends into helping us move.

#61864 - 08/09/06 05:05 PM Re: Renting an apartment
nanamik
Ching Shih

LaSalleUGirl I will be living in the more central region of NJ-probably looking around the Monmouth, Middlesex region. I'm probably going to do the moving first, furniture later thing but I do think I will need a mover for the bedroom furniture, its oak and very very heavy. I doubt that I will be able to get anyone to help me left it. Thanks for the advice.
#61865 - 08/09/06 08:23 PM Re: Renting an apartment
capsizing
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Nanamik, I actually rented an apartment in Middlesex county last week (in Plainsboro), though I ended up having to cancel the lease (because of the incompetent housing department at my future grad school, not because of any problems with the apartment). I was able to get an apartment guide for all of New Jersey sent to me for free, and I used that and the internet to make a list of places that I then visited.

I'm also moving first and buying furniture later, but since I lived in college dorms for the past couple of years, I don't have any furniture.

#61866 - 08/10/06 09:32 AM Re: Renting an apartment
nanamik
Ching Shih

Capsizing , where do you get the apartment guide? I've seen some for parts of NJ, not the whole state. And the ones that I have seen, usually had expensive apartments.
#61867 - 08/10/06 10:30 AM Re: Renting an apartment
capsizing
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I got it from apartmentfinder.com. It is for all of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The apartments weren't cheap, but I was looking in a very expensive area, so for that, they seemed reasonable. I was apartment hunting from several states away, so I didn't have a chance to look at local classifieds for cheaper places.
#61868 - 08/10/06 03:08 PM Re: Renting an apartment
nanamik
Ching Shih

Thanks capsizing ! I'll request the book. I guess I'm lucky that I will have a chance to look at the apartment first.
#61869 - 08/12/06 01:13 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Sarahndipity
Gráinne ni Mhaille

We moved recently, and we used this site to get movers to help us. http://movinghelp.emove.com/ We hired a couple of guys to help us lug the heavy stuff up to our 2nd floor walk-up. It was fairly inexepensive and well worth it.
#61870 - 08/15/06 03:25 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Ekaterina
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

This is about moving, although not about apartments, exactly.

I've got a great flat that I'm sharing with a 93 year old lady who currently relies on a dialup internet connection. A dialup connection will drive me insane in a matter of days, so I'm trying to figure out what my options to get high-speed or wireless are. I need cheap, reliable service - I'm a grad student living off my savings. I have a Mac, which seems to complicate things, and I live in Cambridge, MA. Any advice on how to go about hooking me up would be *most* appreciated.

#61871 - 08/15/06 03:25 PM Re: Renting an apartment
Ekaterina
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

This is about moving, although not about apartments, exactly.

I've got a great flat that I'm sharing with a 93 year old lady who currently relies on a dialup internet connection. A dialup connection will drive me insane in a matter of days, so I'm trying to figure out what my options to get high-speed or wireless are. I need cheap, reliable service - I'm a grad student living off my savings. I have a Mac, which seems to complicate things, and I live in Cambridge, MA. Any advice on how to go about hooking me up would be *most* appreciated.

#61872 - 08/16/06 05:10 PM Re: Renting an apartment
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Ekaterina, do you have an ethernet card? Are there any local networks you could jump onto? Temporarily - while you look for service? I think RCN does Cambridge...
Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: