Page 2 of 31 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#63428 - 07/18/01 03:48 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Ah, a thread after my own heart. Mr. M finds my ability to hurt myself with nothing more than a spoon incredibly cute. Unless, of course, I'm hollering obscenties, in which case I am seriously injured. All other minor injuries are cause for great merriment in the Masha household.

I won't even go into my many head traumas incurred before the age of five. Suffice to say that this big ol' giant head of mine has always been as big, ol', and giant as it is now.

Lately, I've been managing to hurt my left wrist while sleeping. I think I'm doing some kind of tuck-and-roll motion with it. Hard to explain that that's why I'm wearing an Ace bandage.

But my most consistent stupid injury is my broken toe. I have broken the pinkie toe on my left foot in the neighborhood of 15 times. It is now affectionately referred to as "the Jell-O toe," as it has nothing left in it remotely resembling bone. And yet it still breaks. Most memorable occasions for this breakage include playing a spazzy game of football on the beach and smashing it against my husband's surprisingly sturdy tibula and entangling it in the sheets during a rather drunk and energetic bout of sex.

Oh, and how could I forget the time I broke my tailbone at a Rev. Horton Heat show. Big ol' bouncer-man ran me over. It wasn't so much the circumstances of the injury that was embarassing as much as the aftermath: I was "prescribed" one of those hemrroid donut pillows on which to sit. Eeesh.

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited July 19, 2001).]

#63429 - 07/18/01 04:13 PM Re: Stupid injuries
slgorman
Ching Shih

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

LaSalleUGirl, your story reminded me of the wedding I was a bridesmaid in and tripped while transitioning between brick and grass, and nearly broke my ankle. Instead, I just sprained it very badly. Driving the 2+ hours home the next morning was not fun. The bride and groom still have family and friends who refer to me as "that drunk bridesmaid." Which, of course, is what it's going to say on my gravestone.
#63430 - 07/19/01 02:31 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Calico
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin, Texas

After goading my office mates into an uncharacteristically athletic happy hour,
(beer and bowling) I surprised everyone by being the only one who fell down, the only one who did not score above 45, and the only one who broke a toe. I was also the only one wearing a skirt. (my dog had eaten the crotch out of the pair of pants I had planned to wear that day.)

#63431 - 07/19/01 03:09 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Janna
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD

I fell off my step at step aerobics class last week. I was just getting into the groove of the workout and was feeling pretty good. I stepped back for one of the lunge moves and somehow my ankle turned and I fell on the floor. My ankle was pretty stiff for the next couple of days, but otherwise OK. I'm just too embarrassed to go back to step class for a few weeks now! Everyone will be thinking of me as that girl who fell in class.
#63432 - 07/19/01 04:12 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Fox1013
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: New Jersey. Thank you for brin...

I sprained my ankle walking home from school, and stupidly didn't lie about it.

Despite the fact that I maintain that in fact I tripped on a pothole the size of Rhode Island, and have even shown said pothole to several of my friends, every time we walk anywhere I'm warned about any crack in the street. It's laugh-a-minute around here.

It hurt, dammit!

#63433 - 07/20/01 02:49 PM Re: Stupid injuries
kari
Ching Shih

Loc: Orange Co NY

I fell down in the street once, too,
a real knock down fall, I guess I twisted my ankle in a hole, crossing the street, and then I managed to stagger to the sidewalk, and I passed out. I landed on my face that time, as shown by the scratches on my cheek and chin, and when I came to there were lots of people standing around, trying to keep my skirt over my knees and not around my waist. I guess I passed out from ankle pain, or something, and my doctor (she's the best one ever!) said I probably didn't have a concussion b/c I landed on my FACE, as opposed to my HEAD. Nice.

It was terrifying at the time, and I staggered home and was hysterical, but I still can't find the 'hole' I fell in, and I look every time I cross that street...

#63434 - 07/20/01 03:26 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Almeda
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I recently inhaled a mosquito, which stung the back of my throat before I managed to cough it out again. Luckily, I don't react much to them, so all I got was a weird sore throat, but my guy was informed that it was 3AM, I was NOT going to the emergency room at 3AM to have them laugh at me and tell me to take it easy, so I was just going to take two Sudafed and go to bed, and if he happened to notice me not breathing during the night he could jab me with his beesting-kit injector and haul me to the emergency room THEN. :->

[This message has been edited by Almeda (edited July 20, 2001).]

#63435 - 07/22/01 12:28 PM Re: Stupid injuries
Decoder
Gráinne ni Mhaille

When I was 12, I was sitting on the couch and drawing. I dropped my pencil, stood up to look for it and somehow ended up wedging my elbow between the couch cushions - right where the pencil had fallen. The lead broke off and got stuck under my skin. Emergency room, 5 shots of local anesthetic, 3 stitches, and an elbow that's to this day a little discolored with graphite.

When I was 17, for some reason I decided to hold a small chunk of meat in my hand while cutting it with a large carving knife. Sliced finger. Emergency room again. 4 stitches. Much laughter and ridicule the next day at the children's theatre workshop where I was assisting, when i explained to the kids why this huge bandage was on my finger.

And I've sprained my ankles just walking down the sidewalk more times than I can count.

#63436 - 07/23/01 09:38 AM Re: Stupid injuries
kari
Ching Shih

Loc: Orange Co NY

Ha! Decoder, you reminded me of the time I tried to kick my little brother in the shins (really, he was annoying me!) years ago and he managed to bring his pencil-wielding hand down and to stab me in the foot. a piece of graphite/lead got stuck in my foot, and tho' my daddy tried to cut it out, it hurt very badly, and we had to go to the ER. When the doctor pulled the over 1/2 inch piece out of my foot, he CALLED OTHER DOCTORS IN to look at it! terrible. and I'm still marked.

(edited because I can't spell)

[This message has been edited by kari (edited July 23, 2001).]

#63437 - 07/24/01 02:21 AM Re: Stupid injuries
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

I kick myself while walking. I'm still not entirely sure how I accomplish that, but I do it all the time.

And I can't allow my fingernails to grow to long, because I'm certain to scratch myself. I actually have scars from times when I waited too long between manicures. Really.

Page 2 of 31 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: