Page 1 of 15 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#66131 - 06/05/02 11:34 AM World Cup madness
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Since the World Cup came up in another Geography topic, and since we don't have a sports forum, I thought I'd open up a place where we can talk football (or soccer). I'm justifying it with the thought that World Cup football loyalties are strongly geographic. And I'm always fascinated by matchups between countries with significant past conflicts, World Cup or world-historical. Senegal beating its former colonial master? Sheer delight. Plus, I love to see a small country acquit itself well--I love underdogs. Ireland pulling out a last-minute draw with Germany? Great drama.

Since my husband (the real World Cup junkie) and I are victims of geography in regard to watching the actual games (they all air between midnight and approximately six a.m. here in California, and only on the Spanish-language channel), he's been taping the games.

Anyway, discuss football from a geographical or historical perspective (or, you know, just as a sport) here.

#66132 - 06/05/02 12:22 PM Re: World Cup madness
ken_m
Ching Shih

This doesn't really count as "discussing soccer", but it does count as "discussing people writing about soccer", so that's got to count for something.

During the last World Cup, there was a lot of excitement in Canada about the British (UK? English? I don't know. Do Scotland and Wales compete separately in soccer?) team, and some sadness when they finally lost. In their final match against Argentina, you may remember, David Beckham was sent off for dirty play, so they had to play 10 against 11 for most of the game, and they wound up losing on a single goal very late.

The headline in the Times of London the next day (as reported in the Globe and Mail for interested Canadians) was "Ten Lions and a Goat". That one sentence fragment still sends chills up my spine. Somehow it simultaneously reports on a soccer match, and recalls the faded glories of empire, all at the same time.

Plus, now it's my goal in life someday to be referred to as a "lion".

#66133 - 06/05/02 12:40 PM Re: World Cup madness
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Oh, you better believe Scotland and Wales compete seperately! In fact, at the start of a competition there's always a minor stushie about how Scots support anyone playing against England. Well, there is in England. Here- it's obvious.

And, yes, British reporting of football matches is invariably racist and foul. One of the few reasons I'd ever watch the coverage (men's football? Bah.) is to see how long the commentators can go before they call the German/ Swedish players "methodical" or the South Americans "fiery".

#66134 - 06/05/02 08:46 PM Re: World Cup madness
cloonez
Ching Shih

Loc: Kingston, ON

Scotland's not the only anti-English team out there, Ireland's captain (I can't remember his name to save my life) got sent home for calling his coach an Englishman in a recent dispute.
#66135 - 06/05/02 11:23 PM Re: World Cup madness
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Quote:
Ireland's captain (I can't remember his name to save my life) got sent home for calling his coach an Englishman in a recent dispute.

Bwa ha ha!

A former advisor of mine is German, and he complained that everyone the world over roots against Germany. The only exception was the time he attended a game in Ireland. Germany was playing England. The crowd rooted for Germany. Hee.

[This message has been edited by miercoles (edited June 06, 2002).]

#66136 - 06/05/02 11:32 PM Re: World Cup madness
DreadPirate
Ching Shih

Loc: Lanham, MD, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally posted by cloonez:
Scotland's not the only anti-English team out there, Ireland's captain (I can't remember his name to save my life) got sent home for calling his coach an Englishman in a recent dispute.

cloonez, the captain was Roy Keane.

Last I knew, many of Ireland's international players play in English football clubs - the Irish leagues are just too small. In fact, a good chunk of them *are* English, but qualified to play for Ireland through Irish parents or grandparents.

There certainly are Irish people who watch England vs. , and support out of spite. But there are others who, when Ireland isn't actually playing, will support England (or Northern Ireland, or Scotland, or Wales) as a neighbour, with whom we have an awful lot in common. I'd like to think we latter are in the majority, but I can't tell.

In terms of national rivalries, this is all a lot like the Eurovision Song Contest, won this year by Latvia, I believe. The most fun part was always the voting, when you could tell how Greece, Turkey and Cyprus (for instance) felt about each other. When they went from official juries to public phone-ins, it got less political.

Oh and dazey, what exactly is a stushie?

#66137 - 06/06/02 03:34 AM Re: World Cup madness
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Quote:
Oh and dazey, what exactly is a stushie?

Scots for a fuss, quarrel, type of thing. Normally my immigrant status bars me from using Scots, but that word's too appropriate in context.

Incidentally, the site I linked above uses a javascript called "openWindae". Good Lord.

#66138 - 06/06/02 06:18 AM Re: World Cup madness
pinga
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

Ah, the World Cup... no other sporting event can be the reason for so many crimes against the English language.
My two favourites for this morning, from the Radio 5 coverage of the Senegal-Denmark game:
"He's in possession of the ball now. Ah no, he's been dispossessed" and "that was a stupidly reckless thing to do."
Wonderful.

#66139 - 06/06/02 11:26 AM Re: World Cup madness
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

/OT Pinga, have you ever heard announcers for American football? They're the absolute worst. /OT
#66140 - 06/06/02 12:16 PM Re: World Cup madness
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

So, is anyone else kinda hoping that Senegal keeps going? Underdog team and all that, and they beat the defending-champion French team. I read this morning that they tied Denmark in their second game.

They probably won't win it all, but I think it would be fun to see them do really, really well.

Page 1 of 15 12345>Last »

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: