Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>
Topic Options
#66261 - 07/03/06 12:00 PM Re: World Cup madness
cocojosie
Ching Shih

Loc: Stockholm/Oxford

Sweden went, so everyone here started cheering for England because of Svennis, the coach (I cheered for England because I am an Anglophile). Then England went, and Brazil too, and now I'm stuck in the middle between France and Germany.
#66262 - 07/03/06 10:21 PM Re: World Cup madness
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Loz:
I guess Brazil never quite found top gear this tournament
I do agree with you. I think the Brazilian team came in thinking they had it made, just because they were the Brazilian team, but it takes more than that to get to the finals. Of course I was disappointed, but France did win fair and square, and I had the whole Canada Day weekend holidaying to help me deal with it.

I now have to rethink my favorites, but I am still betting on Germany to win. I do feel a bit lost on each team to cheer for. Portugal, as clara already said has a cultural link with us (but there is also the head butting incident). I just love Italy and have some Italian heritage. Germany is just so keen on getting it this time. And France, well France made it here against all odds, getting better all along.

Let just see what the next two matches will bring.

#66263 - 07/04/06 05:16 AM Re: World Cup madness
Loz
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia / UK

PrimulaMary, your office sounds a bit like mine, with the addition of someone who is actually French (and naturally supporting France!), and me, for whom Germany has long been my second team.

But the others are rather holding their nose when supporting France/Germany, only because the alternatives are worse!

I do want Germany to win, but I'd be happy with almost anyone, I think. Even Italy at a pinch, because it's been 24 years since they last won. It would be great to see a new name on the trophy with Portugal, and well, I'm not-so-secretly in love with Zidane and Henry, so Allez les Bleus too!

So go Germany for tonight! (I cannot wait to get a decent night's sleep when the tournament's over, but I've got four years to catch up on my rest.)

Edited to add the result of yesterday's game.

Well. 2 goals in the last 2 or so minutes. Hmph.

Italy played well in the first half, Germany in the second, and Italy in extra time. It wasn't even that the German defence mucked up. Simply, Italy scored a great goal, and then another to finish it off. Am disappointed, but under the circumstances, there's not much else to say except that Italy were better.

On the bright side, at least we don't need to see/hear any more of the awful puns surrounding the German team. Frings can only get better? Dead-eye Deutschlanders do it again?

I will miss Klinsmann's neatly folded shirt-sleeves, though. How did he get everything to stay so tidy?

#66264 - 07/07/06 04:06 PM Re: World Cup madness
mashenka
Ching Shih

Loc: NY

Why does everyone hate Cristiano Ronaldo so much? It was really upsetting watching the Portugal/France game because of all the booing. Whatever he is supposed to have done, aren't there players who behave worse?
#66265 - 07/08/06 01:41 AM Re: World Cup madness
Loz
Ching Shih

Mashenka, I don't know. His actions against England weren't particularly nice - Wayne Rooney deserved to be sent off for stomping, but running after the referee and making sure your clubmate goes is not pleasant conduct. (Man U fans won't be forgiving him in a hurry, nor will Rooney - I've heard Ronaldo's now looking for a new club out of England.) But that's not really enough to inspire universal hatred. I think perhaps it's just that he's young and really impetuous, and needs to let his game do the talking, rather than play-acting, diving and goading. He's absolutely good enough to manage without that, so it does grate. The same goes for a lot of swan-diving Italians.

So, it's the third-fourth placed play-off today, which I always think is a pointless game, but I hope Germany gives their fans a good ending. There's a lot of substitutes playing (players may risk club careers for important matches, but this isn't really one), and usually the play-off is pretty high scoring.

And then the final. Unfortunately, 5am on Monday morning isn't exactly prime time for getting into it if you've got to work! I want France to win, mainly because I have a very soft spot for the idea of football as a source of national pride, and the French team is so multi-racial. (To my great interest, I discovered today that the new young hero Riberry, actually converted to Islam a few years ago, and has a Moroccan wife.) Le Pen has complained this team 'isn't really French' - one of the players, Thuram, responded that it is, just not the France of le Pen. That gets my vote.

Though given the scandals currently gripping Italian football, I would admire the mental toughness of the players awfully if they could win. It wouldn't exactly be a triumph for attacking football, though!

#66266 - 07/08/06 11:46 PM Re: World Cup madness
mashenka
Ching Shih

Poor Petit -- he must be feeling pretty bad right now!

That was a distressing game to watch for this Portugal fan.

#66267 - 07/10/06 08:43 AM Re: World Cup madness
Loz
Ching Shih

Well, time to wrap things up, I suppose.

First up, the party in Stuttgart. A nice way for Germany to wrap things up - they played more positively than Portugal, Schweinsteiger played brilliantly, and Portugal got a consolation goal and generally did reasonably.

Then, the final. My first thought is that Zidane is an idiot. Total idiot. What a way for a career to end, by headbutting someone. (However, it was the best headbutt I've seen since van der Saar got flattened in the 1998 World Cup!). Information is sketchy, but apparently Materazzi *may* have twisted his nipple(???) and then called him a terrorist. Unpleasant behaviour there too, but still no excuse. And he still got player of the tournament, too! His performance against Brazil was one of the best I've ever seen in at least a decade of football watching, but one shouldn't really endorse what he did.

My second thought is that, although it was a fairly interesting game, the tournament got the winner it more or less deserved. It was a great tournament as far as atmosphere and interest went, with some great moments, but the football wasn't exactly top class all the way. Messay, littered with dives, and an increasing focus on defence that wasn't particularly exciting to watch.

That said, Italy were committed and well organised, and held their nerve. They're as worthy a winner as any other, although I do not like the suggestion that the match-fixers back home may be pardoned as a result.

Oh, and in Australia we now have to put up with a bunch of commentators saying 'we only just lost to the champions, it could have been us...etc.' Not very likely.

Still, I've enjoyed myself a lot - roll on 2010 in South Africa!

#66268 - 07/10/06 08:49 AM Re: World Cup madness
mashenka
Ching Shih

The Russian news media has published articles saying that, according to a player who overheard their conversation, Materazzi said to Zidane, "In an hour your mother will be ******* my ****." Which, in my opinion, is a sort of playground-level insult that did not merit such a reaction.

But Zidane knew perfectly well what he was doing. He knew it would get him sent off and end his career in ignominy. So I guess it just an insult he couldn't take.

If it were a racist remark I would understand and even perhaps approve of his action; as it is, I agree that he was provoked but still think he overreacted.

#66269 - 07/10/06 12:27 PM Re: World Cup madness
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by mashenka:
The Russian news media has published articles saying that, according to a player who overheard their conversation, Materazzi said to Zidane, "In an hour your mother will be ******* my ****." Which, in my opinion, is a sort of playground-level insult that did not merit such a reaction.
I don't condone any kind of trashtalking that may or may not have happened, but Zidane's been in pro sports for a long time; I'm pretty sure what ever Materazzi may have said wasn't anything Zidane hadn't heard before. Why he snapped - when the chances of the game going to kicks, a forte of his - is a complete mystery to me.

#66270 - 07/11/06 04:11 AM Re: World Cup madness
Loz
Ching Shih

Well, the European networks have been putting all their lipreaders to work(!), and apparently the new version is as follows:

First, Materazzi called him a liar, then said 'death to you and your family', and then told him to 'go f**k himself'. Which is all fairly juvenile. However, it's now been reported that Zidane had just found out his mother was seriously ill, so under those circumstances, you can sort of understand.

And the original version - that he was called a dirty terrorist - is still doing the rounds.

Of course, the headbutt itself cannot be defended. Not when millions were watching, when you've got an adult who presumably knows how to behave and is supposedly a role model. You really shouldn't hit people. But you shouldn't insult them either.

Edited to add the latest from the forensic lipreaders(!) and translators hired by the British media:

The new version is, apparently, that Materazzi called Zidane 'the son of a terrorist whore', and then told him to, er, go away (as above).

If that's true, my father thinks they should throw the book at the Italian player too, or at least give him a hefty fine. It certainly is fairly unpleasant. But Zidane flattening the culprit on the field is not the correct response.

Whatever was or was not said, the whole affair is, alas, a rather apt ending to a World Cup that has had its fair share of grime. (I note that de Rossi, who who got a four match ban for elbowing Brian McBride in the head, came on in the final. And then there's the diving - one commenator here was awarding the Louganis award each day - as well as the Portugal/Netherlands debacle.) For next time, they really need to work on the cheating and refereeing.

Mind you, none of that stopped me spending an extremely sleep-deprived month following every kick!

Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: