Page 4 of 26 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#66321 - 07/29/04 08:50 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
SeattleShrew
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

Ok, have just placed my first Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab order after far too much time noodling about the site. What a wonderful find, thanks (I think) alizarin.

An old flame of mine, whenever we were in an elevator or other confined space, would say "Ok, who's wearing the Obsession?" - it was that ubiquitous circa 1987.

I like a scent called Onyx from here but it fades rather quickly. I am a sucker for anything with coconut.

I have also had flirtations with Fracas, Opium, and Mitsouko. I guess I'm a serial monogamist re scent!

#66322 - 07/29/04 09:26 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I really want to order something from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, but what if I don't like how it smells? I mean, I can imagine it easily enough-the descriptions are awesome. The web site is truly amazing! And, I even know what I'd order:
 Quote:
HURRICANE
The Dark Side of Air: a high pitched, tangy, clear scent -- light China rain deepened by murky vetivert.
 Quote:
SIN
Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.
 Quote:
ANNE BONNY
Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

#66323 - 07/29/04 10:08 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
alizarin
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA

Kivrin, one of the great things about BPAL is their sample sets of "Imp's Ears", you can get 6 scents for $12 and they almost always throw in extras. And if you happen to not like any of them, their forums are great for trading and I know at least a few Chickliterati who would be up for trades as well.

Just a forwarning for anyone planning to order, they are basically about 3 people mixing everything to order and by hand, so there's about a month turn around time but it's definitely, definitely worth it. And I'm not just saying that as the resident BPAL pimp.

#66324 - 07/29/04 10:15 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Oh, cool. I think that's where I'll begin then. Imp's ears! Damn, that's cute.
#66325 - 07/29/04 10:25 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Kivrin, our resident BPAL pimp (aka alizarin) already sent me an imp of Sin, and then I got another sample of it with my first order. I'll send one along for you to try. This sample gets around, I tell you (as sin should, of course).

This site is reminding me of so many scents I had forgotten I ever wore. My first designer fragrance was Red, but as that was rather too subtle for my 16-year-old desires, I moved on to Opium. For a year, I had to listen to my parents gag every time I walked down the stairs.

Now, I tend to use slightly softer scents, rather than ones that hit people over the head when I enter the room. I like Jean-Paul Gaultier, but a little goes a long way. Plus, the bottle rocks. Other that that, I mostly use smelly bath products and have recently joined the ranks of the BPAL obsessed, even with that month-long turnaround time. Not everything they make works with my chemistry, but it's all interesting and well-balanced. I admire the artistry in the perfumes, even when the scent is not for me.

#66326 - 07/30/04 12:35 AM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Bureinato
Ching Shih

Loc: Denver

Anne Wentworth, I havenít tried Hermes 24 Faubourg, but I wear Hermes Rouge most days even if it is a heavy perfume. Often in the summer Iíll wear Hermes Eau díOrange Verte instead. I would love to try out Hermes Hiris someday. Iíve found that the 2 Hermes fragrances I have are some of the only perfumes Iíve tried that I truly like. Most scents donít appeal to my nose in the bottle or on my skin. The description for Hiris sounds like something Iíd like, so I need to try it out.

Since I tend to like perfume oils better than perfumes the whole PBAL site becomes more tempting with their lovely descriptions.

#66327 - 07/30/04 01:18 AM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Ananke
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

I'd love to make a request to y'all.

What I'd really really love is something that smells like bergamot. I could drown myself in Lady Gry tea, but I'd rather just have that scent. I love it. I'm in Oz though, so I probably won't be able to get soem stuff. I', checking the BPAL site though.

Thanks!

#66328 - 07/30/04 12:18 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Anne Wentworth
Ching Shih

Loc: NY, NY

Oooh, Bureinato I really like Eau d'Orange Verte. 24 Faubourg is more floral, not as crisp, but has a similar over all "feel" (if not scent).

I really like the Hermes perfumes and I want to get Orange Verte next for "lighter" days and ocassions.

#66329 - 07/31/04 12:46 AM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
Orlando
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

Ananke, you might want to try The Body Shop. A few years ago they did a great bergamot spritzer and, I think, perfume oil. It's a bit of a long shot with their track record for discontinuing products but you could be lucky.
#66330 - 07/31/04 03:33 PM Re: Scents and Sensibilities
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

One scent that brings back freshman year of college like no other is Benetton's Colors. I haven't smelled it in years, but it was very trendy circa 1990. My roommate had some, I think, and knocked it over on our floor. Our dorm room smelled faintly of it all year long.

I am sometimes sensitive to scents, so I hardly ever wear perfume, though I do like Chanel No. 5. But the scent I usually wear, if I wear anything, is called Thť pour un ťtť; it's a light green tea-jasmine scent, if I'm remembering right, and it's made by L'Artisan Parfumeur, in Paris. I have the eau de toilette. I like their scents a lot--very clean and light, the ones I've smelled.

Page 4 of 26 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: