Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#67734 - 10/14/02 10:33 AM Letterboxing
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

This summer I heard about letterboxing for the first time; apparently it's starting to catch on in North America; for those who, like me six months ago, have never heard of this, here's a good link: Letterboxing North America FAQ .

I carved myself a stamp and went looking for a letterbox not too far from my house, but I couldn't find it; I'm going to make a second foray today (in celebration of Columbus vs. the Indigenous People's Day). Has anyone else done this? I like the idea, but if I can't find the box I look for today, I'm going to be pissed (that is, angry).

[This message has been edited by voiceofreason (edited October 15, 2002).]

#67735 - 10/14/02 01:45 PM Re: Letterboxing
evebackwards
Ching Shih

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i think i'm gonna go looking for one that's apparently near my house.
all this incriminating evidence
would surely haunt me
if someone broke into my house.

#67736 - 10/14/02 04:51 PM Re: Letterboxing
Freyatheo
Ching Shih

Loc: Burlington, VT, US

That's so cool. I've never heard of it, but there are a bunch near my house. I'm going this weekend....what's your stamp? oh wait--we're supposed to keep those secret.
#67737 - 10/14/02 09:19 PM Re: Letterboxing
giabow
Ching Shih

Loc: NH

I've heard of letterboxing in relation to geocaching, but not by itself. I've done a bit of geocaching (some of them hybrid letterboxes) and left stamps on the journals.
If you're interested, check out http://www.geocaching.com .

#67738 - 10/15/02 12:59 PM Re: Letterboxing
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I made my second and third letterbox attempts yesterday; the first was a success, the second not so much. I went to one in Saugus, not too far from where I live and on the way to my parents' houses, and easily found the Breakheart Reservation letterbox I was looking for (once I found a parking space -- the Reservation was a very popular place on a Monday holiday with gorgeous weather!). It was really fun to sneak off the trail, look for the landmarks, and uncover the letterbox (which was very well hidden, but easy to find). I was a little bummed to find a store-bought stamp instead of a hand-made one, but I know that not everyone is as willing to show their lack of artistic talent as I am, and the hiding place was lovely regardless. Then I drove on up to Gloucester, where there was another one just off the road near the museum/Castle where I had my senior prom (!). But when I found the place where the clue said to park, there was a No Trespassing sign and a truck already parked there, so I chickened out. But I had a lot of fun, and if next weekend is as nice as yesterday, I think I'll go out again. Now I'm thinking about hiding a bookcrossing book in a letterbox. Hmmm....
#67739 - 02/05/04 09:46 PM Re: Letterboxing
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

Okay, not only am I in favor of the new quick reply, but the forum rehab has brought up this old string that I never would have read otherwise. Letterboxing sounds cool!
#67740 - 02/09/04 02:11 PM Re: Letterboxing
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

One of my online friends is quite into geocaching, and I'm thinking of trying it when the weather is warmer! Must get a GPS dealie, though. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on that?
#67741 - 04/12/04 12:31 PM Re: Letterboxing
Serendipity
Ching Shih

Loc: Manhattan

Reviving topic ...

how totally cool! I've never heard of this, but it sounds like fun. I'm disappointed that there aren't too many letterboxes to find in Manhattan. Why is that?

Geocaching sounds... interesting, but I like the inexpensive fun of letterboxing. As a new grad student I'd rather spend a couple of bucks on an eraser and notebook than $100 on a GPS techy thingy (I'm all burnt out on techy thingys).

voiceofreason, are you still around? have you done much more of this since 2002?

Oh fun, just what I need, more reasons to procrastinate in the face of my studies \:D

#67742 - 04/12/04 02:31 PM Re: Letterboxing
tygrkatt
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Wow, I'm glad you pulled this up Serendipity, it looks great. I've printed out clues to a couple of local boxes. I bet the Tygrkubb will get a kick out of "treasure hunting".
#67743 - 04/12/04 04:20 PM Re: Letterboxing
carrotbat
Ching Shih

You all are inspiring! Instead of sitting on my butt at lunch I actually went outside and did the first leg of a multi-part one near my office. Cost $3 in transit fees (and a $1.64 Thai iced tea) but was fun all the same! I hope I can find all the rest of the clues -- the next one sounds like it's walking distance.

ETA: Next clue found on the way to the bus stop (uh, okay, four hilly blocks and up 107 steps out of the way of the bus stop but still ...)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: