Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#68003 - 05/10/05 06:14 PM trivia questions?
najeena62
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: an island paradise

My sister works at an eclectic, small town bookshop, and has to come up with a smart, succinct book trivia question to post on a chalkboard in the window everyday. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, anything. Can you ladies help her out?
#68004 - 05/11/05 03:44 AM Re: trivia questions?
AlchemyGirl
Ching Shih

najeena62, could you give us an idea of what kinds of questions she's used in the past? Maybe post an example or two?
#68005 - 05/11/05 02:09 PM Re: trivia questions?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Is she looking for questions like "What book is widely considered to be the first novel in English?" (Anyone want to answer that?) Or more like "What poisoned fruit was served in The Duchess of Malfi? (If I remember that right, it was apricots.)

I'm going to move this topic to This & That, where I think it fits better, but please carry on with suggestions.

#68006 - 05/11/05 02:32 PM Re: trivia questions?
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Quote:
"What book is widely considered to be the first novel in English?" (Anyone want to answer that?)
Is it Aphra Behn's Oroonoko?

#68007 - 05/11/05 02:43 PM Re: trivia questions?
JoanneMerriam
Ching Shih

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Thought it was Robinson Crusoe.
#68008 - 05/11/05 02:48 PM Re: trivia questions?
Smith
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I also think it is Robinson Crusoe.
#68009 - 05/11/05 02:59 PM Re: trivia questions?
Ching Shih

Oops, I did not mean to derail the topic like that. I've heard varying stories about the first novel question, where you have to define 'novel' and 'English' before you can answer. I don't know that there is a definitive answer, but the two vague things in the back of my head were Beowulf (as the first work of fiction in English) or having Jane Austen as the inventor of the modern novel. It's very vague, which is why I didn't answer myself.

Back to trivia questions, please. If you want to continue to discuss forms of writing and the orgination and genesis thereof, please start a topic in the Bookworm. Thanks!

#68010 - 05/11/05 05:07 PM Re: trivia questions?
najeena62
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Thank you, FishDreamer, for moving this to the appropriate place. I asked her for some examples of what she's looking for, and she gave me these that had been used recently-

What was the only novel written by Sylvia Plath?

How many tales are there in the Canterbury Tales?

In what year is the novel 'The Brave New World' set in?

#68011 - 05/11/05 09:31 PM Re: trivia questions?
Ching Shih

So something like this:

What is the name of the narrator in Martha Grimes' Hotel Paradise? (answer: Emma)

How about writing up famous first lines of books and having people guess which author & title they are? I always love those, and sometimest the line is so famous I'll know it even if I haven't read the book.

#68012 - 05/11/05 11:57 PM Re: trivia questions?
AltoidsAddict
Ching Shih

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA

Who used what pseudonym is always a rich source of trivia questions.

Who were Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell? (The Brontes)
What was George Eliot's real name? (Mary Ann Evans)
(And for something really hard) Who was widely rumored to be the person behind Wanda Tinasky? (Thomas Pynchon)

Also, sequels by other authors, like:

Gone with the Wind was succeeded by? (Scarlett)
The "prequel" to Jane Eyre, published a century later, was? (Wide Sargasso Sea)

Carl Hiaasen, Stephen King, and Amy Tan are part of what musical group? (The Rock Bottom Remainders)
What author once penned a satirical, vulgar response to a group called the "Mammoth Cods"? (Mark Twain)

I suddenly feel the need to come up with a lot of these.

#68013 - 05/14/05 05:48 PM Re: trivia questions?
najeena62
Gráinne ni Mhaille

My sister says "Great! Thank you! Keep them coming!"
#68014 - 05/17/05 06:05 AM Re: trivia questions?
Essy
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, Chester, Massachus...

You could try themed questions, like the Bookwise quiz in the Sunday Times does. Every week they give seven plot excerpts or character descriptions all of which have something in common and you award yourself points for knowing the character, book and author.

(This is in the London Times, by the way, although the paper doesn't call itself that.)

Your sister might actually be able to just nab the Bookwise quiz wholesale each week. It's available for free online, so I can't imagine it would be a problem as long as it was properly attributed.

The most recent themes have been inns , characters named Albert (I got six out of seven that week. Go me!) and dances .

Alternatively, she could try Twisted Plots questions. There's a newspaper which once included in the TV listings a movie it described thus: "A young girl travels to a strange land, kills the first person she meets and then plots with others to kill again!" The movie in question was The Wizard of Oz.

I've seen the format used for movie puzzles before, but not books. I had a go at doing some myself...

An obsessive, anti-social drug addict's encounters with murderers and thieves are recorded by his roommate.

A girl makes her way across a foreign kingdom by boat, train and on foot in an attempt to seize the crown.

A wayward child is punished for her disobedience to the point where she is unable to walk. While confined to her bed, she impersonates saints and believes that God speaks to her.

After being accidentally drugged at the order of the king, somebody is forced to marry their stalker.

#68015 - 06/09/05 11:20 PM Re: trivia questions?
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Here's one of my favourites:

Q: What do the following people have uniquely in common?

Ted Williams (American athlete)
Humphrey Bogart (American actor)
Baruch Spinoza (European philosopher)
Rudyard Kipling (British author)
Piet Mondrian (Dutch artist)

A: They've all been named in the titles of books in Lawrence Block's The Burglar Who... series.

#68016 - 06/23/05 05:26 AM Re: trivia questions?
lsugaralmond
Ching Shih

Loc: London

This is a fun game. If you put book titles through online translators (for example Babel Fish Translation ) then sometimes it can be quite difficult to figure out what they were originally.
For example, I translated these two titles from English to German to French to Italian to English:

The dispositive head of junction of hiker to the galaxy

You press of the dragged and the cup of the flames

(They are The Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

A selection of these would make a great quiz.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: