Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#68017 - 06/08/05 11:21 PM First Editions
WhiteDawn
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Mississippi

This is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the correct place for it, but nowhere else seemed appropriate.

Would someone please tell me how to look at a book and tell if it is a first edition? Or for that matter, how do you tell what edition it is at all? I see this all the time when shopping for books online and don't understand how you can tell what edition it is. The first editions usually cost more, and this is something I've never been able to figure out. Help please! Thanks.

#68018 - 06/09/05 02:38 AM Re: First Editions
lsugaralmond
Ching Shih

Loc: London

WhiteDawn If you look on the reverse of the title page in most (modern) books there's normally some information like the publisher's name and address, the ISBN number and the copyright. There should also be a sequence of about 6 to 10 numbers which are increasing. In the book I have to hand at the moment I have 75 77 79 81 83 (for example).
In a first edition, the first number in that sequence will be a 1.
That's how it works in the UK anyway, it's possible it's different in other countries.

#68019 - 06/09/05 03:14 AM Re: First Editions
Mara2
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra Australia

You can find information about the edition of your books by looking on the reverse of the title page (usually about four pages after the cover of the book). It's usually a page covered with small writing about relatively boring things like copyright, ISBN numbers, conditions of sale etc. One of our resident librarians might be able to give you a better explanation?

ETA - Dash it all, too slow!

#68020 - 06/09/05 06:32 AM Re: First Editions
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I'm moving this to The Bookworm -- carry on there, please.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: