Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#68021 - 01/05/06 01:05 PM The Quotable Woman
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

This thread is for discussing or reflecting on the awesome quotes that deborah posts on Chicklit's main page.

Quote:
And so now you will begin to work at your writing. Remember these things. Work with intelligence and love. Work freely and rollickingly as though they were talking to a friend who loves you. Mentally (at least three or four times a day) thumb your nose at all know-it-alls, jeerers, critics, doubters.
I'm really loving the Brenda Ueland quote that's up right now. I'm starting to draft some pieces of my dissertation, and the exhortations to write as if talking to someone who loves me and to mentally thumb my nose at "know-it-alls" are going to come in quite handy when I sit down to write tonight.

#68022 - 01/05/06 01:48 PM Re: The Quotable Woman
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

That whole book is like that, and it was the first review that ever appeared on Chicklit, in fact. (See the What to Read About How to Write book bundle.)

I really recommend it to anyone who wants to write and is bedevilled by the various obstacles that plague most would-be creatives.

ETA: I'm just thinking that it would be a good idea, since the quotation changes periodically (supposed to be daily, but as if I've ever managed that), for us to quote the relevant material here, since later readers won't know what's being discussed or referred to. So LSU, I'm taking the liberty of putting it in your post.

#68023 - 02/01/06 04:17 PM Re: The Quotable Woman
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Well, I meant to post something about the Anne Tyler quote that was on the front page until today (yesterday?), but I never got around to it. It had to do with being able to close the metaphorical doors between your writing self and your "real life" self, and getting to a point where you couldn't really re-merge them if you wanted to. I get the feeling that I need to develop that ability, but I don't think I actually have. God knows, being able to shut the door of my mind against cats stealing cookies and LaSalleUBoy getting bored and silly would be quite helpful right about now...

There's a Helen Keller quote up right now:
 Quote:
We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
That's probably true, but it's also kind of depressing. Oh, wait, "only joy," as in "only joy and not other [sad] emotions as well" not "if only there were joy." That's a horse of a different color. As long as there gets to be some joy somewhere. Otherwise the bravery and patience seem sort of pointless.

#68024 - 04/13/06 11:30 AM Re: The Quotable Woman
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

By Jan King:

Quote:
Whoever thought up the word mammogram? Every time I hear it, I think I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
This quote has been cracking me up since deborah first posted it last week.

Also, I never got around to mentioning the T-shirt related quotes, but the one about centering one's fashion sense around what doesn't itch was awesome!

#68025 - 04/13/06 01:18 PM Re: The Quotable Woman
Rain
Ching Shih

Yeah, I love that Gilda Radner quote about not itching too.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: