Page 4 of 25 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#75507 - 10/07/01 08:49 AM Re: Losing a Pet
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Thanks, folks. Y'all are the best.

I wonder if mom will get another pet. I think she'd like the company, but she also loves to travel and it's easier for her without one.

Shoulda taken some pics last time I was home with the digital camera. Ah, well.

#75508 - 10/08/01 09:43 AM Re: Losing a Pet
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'm late, but I wanted to add my condolences, JohnC. I'm so very sorry about Wicket.
#75509 - 10/08/01 10:22 AM Re: Losing a Pet
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I'm also late, but of course, I too am very sorry to hear about this, JohnC. I hope you can be an effective source of support to your mother (and she to you).

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited October 08, 2001).]

#75510 - 10/12/01 11:52 AM Re: Losing a Pet
bos_girl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

Recently we had to put down the family pet and dog, and it was the hardest thing to do. The family cried for hours. Both pets were with us for about 12-13 years. I feel your pain.

#75511 - 11/22/01 10:22 AM Re: Losing a Pet
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Well, my feline is okay, but I'd like the pet lovers here to spare a thought for my friend Isabel - she who helped me out when my own Spank died. She has had a dreadful week. Last week her much loved 13 year old terrier Woody had a stroke - he seemed to be recovering when, a few days later, her other canine, Cass, had a serious fit and had to be hospitalised. Woody died on Sunday and then yesterday they had to have Cass put to sleep because she had suffered serious brain damage.

Just a week ago both dogs were fit and happy - now both are dead. It's so sad. I miss them both too - they were great dogs.

#75512 - 11/22/01 07:55 PM Re: Losing a Pet
bonster
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

oh Bear, that's just horrible! Please send condolences to Isabel, I just can't (refuse to) imagine losing 2 pets at the same time. My husband and I are huge suckers for animals, we have 2 dogs & 2 cats. The dogs are both mutts - one adopted from the SPCA after our much beloved doberman died (we had a wake for her with all the neighbors) and the other a stray found outside my office that I was only keeping until we could find a home because no one else had room for her - hah! By the time someone came forward to take her I would only do it on a one week trial, I lasted about a day and had to tearily ask my man to take me go get her back. Our main cat is now over 15 and we've had him since he was about 6 weeks old, The man brought him home right after we were married, once I'd convinced him he wouldn't be allergic to kittens... It made me so happy to read that Kitten's cat (hee) Dave made it to 21, as I can't imagine life without Spats. Our auxillary backup cat is another stray my man brought home 7 or 8 years ago, and she has to go to the vet tomorrow to have a tumor removed. She's quite the tough one but inside I'm very worried for her, so when I saw this thread I thought that reading it might help me prepare just a little... as if!

I was very glad to read that you've welcomed a new cat into your home. There is nothing as cute as a kitten, so I worry about the older ones too.

#75513 - 11/28/01 05:45 PM Re: Losing a Pet
IseutLaBrune
Ching Shih

Loc: Portland, OR USA

Oh, this thread is just breaking my heart. I'm sending out hugs to you all.

I just had to give up my kitty of only a few months because my husband was becoming seriously allergic. We tried everything we could to prevent it, but he was getting hives and waking up with swollen eyes and everything. I want to do what's best for my husband, but giving up that kitty was one of the hardest things I've had to do. She had just showed up at our door one day as a tiny kitten and we couldn't resist her. She was so sweet and gentle; my lap became her favorite place to sleep, and she wouldn't let me in the door without a nice purring cuddle. Sigh. She's at the humane society now; I hope she finds a good home soon. I never thought it would be this hard.

#75514 - 11/28/01 08:40 PM Re: Losing a Pet
bonster
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

I'm so lucky that my man a. has other allergies so he can't quite pin it on the cats, and b. is an even bigger sucker than I am so there is no waaaayyyy he would be able to give up one of our pets - actually, he has brought home at least 2 other kittens that I have pawned off (er, found wonderful, loving homes for) on friends that he would have been very happy to keep because they were so cool.

My comfort thought to you IseutLaBrune, having had to take a puppy to the Humane Society before, is that as long as you know the kitten was healthy, they will keep her until she finds a home. When I called to ask about the puppy they would only say if she was there or not - they wouldn't say if she had been snuffed or adopted - but it's my understanding that as long as they're young and healthy they will keep the animal until they find a home, unlike the SPCA which gives them a month (and it sounds like your husband is much more allergic than mine).

And, I am soooo happy to say that it seems my cat's tumor was not a metastasizing one and we caught it in time, whew! Wasn't planning on going through kitty-chemo or anything. She's got quite the franken-stitches going on but is doing very well, thank you! But by-the-by, apparently it could have been caused by the feline leukemia vaccine, which is given in the shoulder (where her lump appeared), kinda makes you wonder...

#75515 - 12/12/01 08:49 PM Re: Losing a Pet
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

Though I could sympathize with the people here who had lost pets, I didn't really understand how terribly sad it could be until the past couple of days. My parents decided to have our good old St. Bernard, Jag, put to sleep today. He's had arthritis and very bad asthma for several years and the Saskatchewan winter was going to be too hard on him. Poor guy. I will miss him very much.
#75516 - 12/14/01 09:07 AM Re: Losing a Pet
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Oh, hula, I'm sorry. The same just happened to me- my mum had Jed, the Cairn terrier that's been in the family since I was 10, put down last week. He was my boy- I'm going down to England to see my mum next week, and it just won't be the same without being able to sing Hound Dog to him.

Oh, shush. It was a nice ritual.

Page 4 of 25 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  FishDreamer 
Hop to: