Page 2 of 15 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#78132 - 10/18/04 02:46 PM Re: God spelled backwards
Willemiena
Ching Shih

Loc: New Zealand

Sweet Potato, unfortunately, living in a farming community, it is more than unlikely that anyone would take a dog like Artemis in. I also think that since the attack was rather vicious, this really is the only course. I would hate to think of other lambs ending up in the same place as our one. Perhaps if my home town was a bigger place then the shelter option would work, but this is not the case.
So, she is booked in for Thursday, and I'll go in with her and then take her home and bury her. Which is much nicer than leaving her there.

Thanks for your support everyone.

#78133 - 10/18/04 03:24 PM Re: God spelled backwards
CamillaSage
Ching Shih

Loc: The Netherlands

I'm so sorry, Willemiena. I'll be thinking of you and Artemis on Thursday.

Edited to add: An article that Blueberry might find interesting.

#78134 - 10/28/04 10:16 PM Re: God spelled backwards
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

I have a cute story to share about my boyfriend's dog, Doc. Doc's a typical black lab -- friendly, enthusiastic, and active. He doesn't jump on many people when greeting them, but he can be quite assertive in demanding attention. As dogs can be.

Anyways, I was talking him for a walk and met a young boy and his nurse (caretaker?) on a walk. This young boy was severely mentally handicapped, and was in a wheelchair and had very limited mobility. Doc walked up as close to the boy as he could and leaned his head against him. The boy was clearly nervous, but the woman helped him pet Doc, who just stayed still instead of his normal frantic wagging and sniffing. I was absolutely astounded, because Doc somehow knew he had to be gentle, and I'd never seen him (or any other dog, really) do that before.

I wasn't a dog person before I dated my boyfriend, and while I've always liked his dog, I think that incident is what finally turned me into a full-fledged dog person.

#78135 - 10/28/04 11:05 PM Re: God spelled backwards
PrimulaMary
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

That's so beautiful, miercoles. I love the way dogs -- especially big dogs -- are so damn perceptive. I have a friend who helps raise labrador puppies to prepare them for full-fledged Guide Dog training, and they're just the most gorgeous dogs.

My border collie/lab/blue cattle dog mix (yeah, he's pretty much just plaid "dog" but he's beautiful and also a great working dog) has part of that lab temperament, and he can tell when people just need to have a doggy head leaned up against their leg as a gesture of empathy and love.

#78136 - 10/29/04 06:21 AM Re: God spelled backwards
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

That is such a cool story, miercoles. It's quite amazing - we never really realise just how perceptive dogs are until you see something like this. We had a dog once who acted quite afraid of toddlers and babies, almost like he realised his strength and didn't want to get too close in case he hurt them unintentionally.

Thanks for the link, CamillaSage, and for the info, Sweet Potato. Nothing's been done about the terrorist dog yet, but I'm working on it. It actually makes me quite annoyed - I see it as tolerance of sexual abuse. Yes, I know, things work differently with animals, but it says something about a person, deep down, if they're able to tolerate such behaviour. But they're not my dogs... sigh... I'll tell you all what happens if anything changes.

#78137 - 10/29/04 10:11 AM Re: God spelled backwards
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Aw, miercoles, now I'm all teary. What a sweet story. I've seen that before, actually, normally boisterous dogs who get quiet and gentle when they're around a small child or a physically challenged person. It never ceases to amaze.
#78138 - 10/30/04 12:44 PM Re: God spelled backwards
tygrkatt
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

As I understand it a lot of dogs, labs especially have a sixth sense about medical conditions like that (they smell different maybe?). I've heard of dogs who can predict and warn their owners of epileptic sezuiers, even ones that can identify people with cancer.
#78139 - 11/02/04 09:41 PM Re: God spelled backwards
Mara2
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra Australia

Mr M's dog, a rather large Belgian Shepherd, although gorgeous, doesn't have that sort of perceptiveness. Once he stops barking at people and realises they're not going to rob the place or attack his people, he loves everyone.

Unfortunately, love for this dog equals giving big, sloppy, rambunctious kisses to everyone, whether they're in a wheelchair, or just 3 months old. He is particularly loving to anyone who is in any way scared of dogs. It's almost as though he goes all out to convince them that he is friendly and lovable and adorable, and as he does look a lot like a miniature wolf, I would imagine it's a bit disconcerting if you are scared of dogs.

We try our best to stop him from doing this with strangers, but as Mr M inherited him, aged 11, after his father died a couple of years ago it was a bit late to retrain him thoroughly. We usually keep him outside when people are over, unless we know they love dogs.

Seriously, though, he is the Rudolf Valentino of the dog world - every time we take him for a walk we can count on at least one person stopping us to tell us just how beautiful he is.

#78140 - 11/03/04 02:29 AM Re: God spelled backwards
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

Aaaw.... he sounds adorable.

A couple of months ago I tried to convince my family to adopt a great dane named Bigfoot. Apparently he loved nothing more than galloping about the yard and trying to get into your bed at night. Sounds like the perfect dog. Great Danes are so beautiful - I love tall dogs.

I wonder if the breed originated in Denmark...

ETA the terrorist dog has finally gone for the chop. He spent the night at the Animal Hospital yesterday, and should be back this morning. Hopefully this should sort the whole thing out. Thanks for the support guys. \:D

#78141 - 11/09/04 04:46 PM Re: God spelled backwards
Meaux
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin

I became a full-fledged dog person after I accidentally got a dog. I didn't mean to get one--but I walked out of my house one morning and there was a neighborhood dog who was going to the pound later that day if someone didn't take her in. It just shot out of my mouth without my permission: "Oh, I'll take her."

I had thought a dog would be too much trouble, given that I already have a human pup who exhausts me. However, I found that a dog does the opposite of my daughter: she just wants to sit there and be with me without asking for anything or--and this is key--saying anything. AND she eats anything I give her, unlike certain 5-year-olds I could name.

A year later I got my Chloe-dog a very tall and highly surprisable friend named Toby, as Chloe is quite sociable and needed a daytime comrade. She's half black lab and half bassett, which makes her a Bassador. Toby is about six different breeds, and indeed looks less like a mixed breed than the result of an orgy.

Being the sap that I am, they both have pages on Dogster, which I am of course providing links to here for the general edification of all.
Chloe the Bassador
Toby the Dog

Anybody else on Dogster?

Page 2 of 15 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  FishDreamer 
Hop to: