naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

22/23, which I can live with.
#43035 - 02/13/06 10:20 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
snasta
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Cork, Ireland

I love this demonstration of the insanity of English spelling. It's attributed to GB Shaw, I think:

He claimed one could spell "fish" as "ghoti": use the gh sound from cough (=f), the o sound from women (=i) and the ti from attention (=sh).

Pure genius.

#43036 - 05/25/06 02:23 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
badverb
Ching Shih

Loc: n'yawk

... which, off-topically, clears up for me the name of '90s band Ghoti Hook. Heh.

I was happy to get 22 out of 23 on the test. As far as the book goes, calling it a "must-have, must-give" is ... trying too hard, I think.

#43037 - 05/25/06 07:25 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
Sarai
Ching Shih

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

16/23 - agh! I put it down to laziness making me too reliant on the spell-checker.

"Alot"?? That's almost as bad as the one I saw somewhere - "infact".

#43038 - 05/25/06 08:32 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
badverb
Ching Shih

Loc: n'yawk

Which reminds me, I saw the other day in something I was asked to give a light proofread to: "asif."

As if!

#43039 - 07/05/06 01:12 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
fastiller
Ching Shih

From MSNBC: Time to change how we spell wurdz? , which frightens me. I hope this is the right place for this post, I did think about putting it in the "Chicklit Society for the Protection of Words" but figured that was about protecting specific words and not the English language in general.
#43040 - 07/06/06 01:05 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
AlchemyGirl
Ching Shih

I'm frightened too, fastiller, especially by the following:

Quote:
They even picket the national spelling bee finals, held every year in Washington, costumed as bumble bees and hoisting signs that say “Enuf is enuf but enough is too much” or “I’m thru with through.”

Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler.
So spelling bees are discriminatory? Interesting logic here. Well, I feel that sporting events celebrate the ability of a few people to master difficult tasks that I could do just as well if the game were simpler. Let's change the rules to tennis so that serving above 30 mph is illegal. Then maybe I'll win Wimbledon.

#43041 - 07/06/06 01:16 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

It's unfortunate, but we can't change the spelling of words, because people pronounce them different ways. I live in Boston; are we going to change the spelling of "car" to "cah"? If we want to change "enough" to "enuf," I'm sure there are folks who pronounce it "enof" or "enoof" or "ynoof" or... where do we draw the line? We can't just let everyone spell words the way they pronounce them; we wouldn't be able to communicate between different accents.

Ok, rant over.

#43042 - 07/06/06 02:13 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
fastiller
Ching Shih

Quote:
Let's change the rules to tennis so that serving above 30 mph is illegal. Then maybe I'll win Wimbledon.
~ ~AlchemyGirl
Or, let's put all the basketball nets on the floor and I'll try out for the WNBA.

Quote:
We can't just let everyone spell words the way they pronounce them; we wouldn't be able to communicate between different accents.
~ ~VegetarianOnHiatus
Wasn't this the way that English was written before there was a bit of "standardisation"? Or was it just with names? I'm not a language historian, but I seem to recall reading somewhere once that it wasn't uncommon for there to be several spellings of the same word(s) going on at the same time. And, wasn't the point of standardisation to remove the whole "pronounce it differently = spell it differently" problem?

#43043 - 07/06/06 08:16 PM Re: Sit for a spell: English orthography
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Thoze peepull need too shutt upp.

American "Literacy" Council, my ass.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Angiv, Catness 
Hop to: